Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 08:53   #3436
Team-BHP Support

Re: Daily jam caused by AMD buses at Bangalore

A friend of mine working with SAP told me this. As you'd be aware, around 5pm, a few contingent of SAP buses leaves the campus. While they leave, the guards at SAP block either lanes and let around 20 buses pass.

One fine day, a commuter got royally pissed and had an altercation with the guards.

Since the next day, there is a traffic constable around that time to ensure smooth traffic.

Either someone has complained to BTP or SAP themselves went to them.

Probably, something similar can be done in case of AMD.
Old 7th June 2012, 09:45   #3437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
If you work for AMD or know someone who does, please pass this on to them asking to share with AMD India management.

Every evening between 4 - 5:45 PM, the BMTC buses hired by AMD are illegally parked in the middle of the road in front of AMD office (the road opp to Tesco) at WhiteField EPIP Zone. The drivers just park and go for tea/snacks and other road users have just one lane left to use, causing a jam almost everyday. Daily I lose 15min trying to get my car out. On several occasions, I have tried entering the office speaking with the concerned AMD officials but the security at the reception always prevented me and simply directs me to the transport contractor who does nothing useful. Just today, I spoke to one facilities guy from AMD who was also not very keen in solving the issue.

See the linked video which clearly shows the double parking and the company name in the Bus's electronic board.
AMD Traffic Jam Whitefield Bangalore - YouTube

I wonder if such irresponsible behavior by this company would be tolerated in its parent country?
This is a typical parking problem aggravated by the city's inadequate infrastructure coupled with its rapid growth.

Come to think of it, even parking cars on the road is illegal. And the large container trucks further ahead on the same road. If every other company in the vicinity had enough parking of their own maybe this issue of double parking would not have come up. At least there aren't any AMD cars parked outside. The company is trying to promote shared transport and that's why using these buses.

I'm trying to think of a place nearby where buses could be lined up and just can't think of anywhere else, as cars are lined up along all the streets. Main roads can't be used as that'll clog major traffic. The building premises are not large enough to accommodate these buses, so can't be parked there. This isn't a main road, in front of the building, and hence would be the logical choice.

Maybe finding a place for the car somewhere else nearby would be a simpler solution. I think the bus stop nearby offers paid parking.

These are only my views and not of any company's
Old 7th June 2012, 10:03   #3438
BHPian

Firstly its a BMTC (govt) bus. Cops can't touch them. Secondly it's quite obvious traffic cops have been given their share by the contractor to allow parking on the road.

This happens everywhere in bangalore. City market areas are full of private buses loitering or parked on busy junctions only because they pay the police very well.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:01   #3439
BHPian

It is the fault of the Company, not the drivers. Where will the Drivers park their buses in such narrow roads. People at Manyata would know the chaos every evening with the large no of buses parked on the road shrinking it. Infy and Wipro for instance have a seperate bay for their buses inside their office itself.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:21   #3440
BHPian

A golden solution is to make all these IT parks / Sectors; pedestrian / bicycle only. Say around 2-3 km radius. Authorities need to make sure all vehicles are parked outside, of these regions.

Kind off parking parks! All employees got to walk or cycle their way to these parking lots. Board their respective vehicles and get going. Off course relaxations got to be made for the physically challenged.

Seems to be feasible, but not sure if the governance and co-operation that is required to sustain such an ecology is available / likely to be available.

Considering how lazy we are! Everyone wants to be dropped / picked up within a foot from their door-step. Come on!

Let the brickbats follow! :-D

Last edited by SupratikDebnath : 7th June 2012 at 11:29. Reason: Punctuation added.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:22   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
The Whitefield traffic police station is right there, no?
No, the nearby police station is not a Traffic one, I approached them already. I was directed to go to the traffic station at Hope farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
This is a typical parking problem aggravated by the city's inadequate infrastructure coupled with its rapid growth.

Come to think of it, even parking cars on the road is illegal. And the large container trucks further ahead on the same road. If every other company in the vicinity had enough parking of their own maybe this issue of double parking would not have come up. At least there aren't any AMD cars parked outside. The company is trying to promote shared transport and that's why using these buses.

I'm trying to think of a place nearby where buses could be lined up and just can't think of anywhere else, as cars are lined up along all the streets. Main roads can't be used as that'll clog major traffic. The building premises are not large enough to accommodate these buses, so can't be parked there. This isn't a main road, in front of the building, and hence would be the logical choice.

Maybe finding a place for the car somewhere else nearby would be a simpler solution. I think the bus stop nearby offers paid parking.

These are only my views and not of any company's
TCS has an office next door and even they have multiple buses. But their buses come on time in a phased manner, pick up the employees and leave. Here AMD is least bothered about the public and acting this way.

Also, it is after AMD opened this office and traffic jam increased that one side of the road magically had no parking boards put up overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Firstly its a BMTC (govt) bus. Cops can't touch them. Secondly it's quite obvious traffic cops have been given their share by the contractor to allow parking on the road.

This happens everywhere in bangalore. City market areas are full of private buses loitering or parked on busy junctions only because they pay the police very well.
I understand when the low-lives and local goons flaunt the traffic rules or bribe the system. But when a big MNC who talks about CSR and stuff tries to bend the rules, there is a bigger problem.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:27   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
A friend of mine working with SAP told me this. As you'd be aware, around 5pm, a few contingent of SAP buses leaves the campus. While they leave, the guards at SAP block either lanes and let around 20 buses pass.

One fine day, a commuter got royally pissed and had an altercation with the guards.
I had a huge fight in 2009, parked my scorpio in the front and blocked the way for the buses. I demanded to meet the SAP Admin Head or Official and wanted to know why other people are being treated like third rate citizens. Why should SAP buses and cars get priority and move. I threatened the guards that I will run over them if they stop me.

Some one from SAP came out running to talk to me, meanwhile other gentlemens also joined me. We were assured that they will take action and will not be repeated.

From next day they would allow 5 buses only at a time and when ever they say my scorpio, they would run for their life.

Now the situation is back to as it was and the gap in the divider has increased to 4 from 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
It is the fault of the Company, not the drivers..
Sir, its both. The IT company should threaten them to behave or will cancel the contract. The drivers will start behaving normally. Not sure who can tame BMTC drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
A golden solution is to make all these IT parks / Sectors; pedestrian / bicycle only. Say around 2-3 km radius. Authorities need to make sure all vehicles are parked outside, of these regions.

Let the brickbats follow! :-D
I support you on this idea. Sir but why target on IT crowd. We are already being hit from all side, company exploitation, IT downturn, sliding Rs, raising cost, transportation and what not. Would agree if its made in all the circles like, vidhana soudha, commerical street, bridage road, avenue road etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
No, the nearby police station is not a Traffic one, I approached them already. I was directed to go to the traffic station at Hope farm.

TCS has an office next door and even they have multiple buses. But their buses come on time in a phased manner, pick up the employees and leave. Here AMD is least bothered about the public and acting this way.
Even I had approached the police in 2009, reaction was pathetic. So I took my old JVC handycam and parked from scorpio in the way, once in front of SAP and once in front of Intel office. Told them I would air it in TV9. Traffic cops reaction was amazing, everyone scooted from the situation.

TCS has ordered the transport vendor to behave or be booted. So the discipline. You should the same bus driver after dropping of the employees.

OT : On the side, I have to take my palio to office again from BG road to whitefield because most of the volve buses in the evening have been leased to AMD. So between 06:30 to 07:00 AM there are only 2 volvos which start from banashakari to ITPL and in the evening also there is huge rush after 4 PM.

So the situation is 1000 employees of a company take bus and 500 cars from different companies come to road

Regards
Old 7th June 2012, 12:41   #3443
BHPian

@chandrda,

Yes, you are right. I did not mean to target only IT employees. It is a solution which can be plugged and played for various scenarios and locations.
I do agree that the implementation has its own challenges, but effort from all ends should mitigate those.

Being ever hopeful.
Old 7th June 2012, 15:02   #3444
BHPian

It is the same case with all of EPIP Zone. I already posted twice on BTP FB page in vain. I find that usually the canned response is "We have forwarded to such and such PS. This is their phone number and here is the email address"

This is the state of affair outside my office (near iGate) everyday.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_000037.jpg

Driving out of the office driveway (between the second and third vehicle on the left side of this picture) is a nightmare as there is no visiblity of oncoming traffic on either side.

To make matters worse, people seem to have a tendency to drive/ride at breakneck speeds whenever they see such roads. I think it is built into our genes, like shouting into a telephone if the voice from the other end is feeble

Rajan

To go or not to go? That is the question

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-traffic-light.jpg

Date : 6th June 2012
Time : Approx 7:30 PM
Place: Jayadeva Hospital Junction, Bangalore

Rajan

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th June 2012 at 20:54.
Old 7th June 2012, 16:32   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
To go or not to go? That is the question

Date : 6th June 2012
Time : Approx 7:30 PM
Place: Jayadeva Hospital Junction, Bangalore

Rajan
I did notice this yesterday. This is not the only traffic junction that is malfunctioning. The signal near krupanidhi college near Koramangala was also malfunctioning in similar manner.
Old 7th June 2012, 16:49   #3446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I had a huge fight in 2009, parked my scorpio in the front and blocked the way for the buses. I demanded to meet the SAP Admin Head or Official and wanted to know why other people are being treated like third rate citizens. Why should SAP buses and cars get priority and move. I threatened the guards that I will run over them if they stop me.
I reported the same issue in this forum more than years back

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1158584

Sad to know still the problem is the same. Few things just do not change
Old 7th June 2012, 16:56   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
It is the same case with all of EPIP Zone. I already posted twice on BTP FB page in vain. I find that usually the canned response is "We have forwarded to such and such PS. This is their phone number and here is the email address"
I posted this on the BTP page and I see the same missing today. Posted again, lets see what happens.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 11:22   #3448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Traffic cops reaction was amazing, everyone scooted from the situation.
I see this every other day. At Doddanakundi junction, in front of the new Total mall on Outer Ring Road, there is a U turn which vehicles have to take to proceed towards Graphite India. If a private car jumps the signal to take the U turn, the cop at the junction sometimes notes down the registration number. On more than one occassion, i have seen the cop at the junction turn around and pretend he isnt watching when a bus belonging to Baghirathi, SRS or Infants jumps the signal, and makes the u turn causing a whole lot of traffic mayhem. Next time i shall try to make a video of the same.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:13   #3449
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

BTP has gone about putting those orange, plastic lane dividers on quite a few roads across B'lore to segregate traffic that wants to take a left/right and that which wants to go straight.

However, that has brought about 2 problems :

1) Very few people know about this. So, most drive about as if they are taking a stroll in the park and the moment they see the divider, they scamper around, changing lanes like nobody's business making it dangerous for other vehicles.

2) BMTC buses often have the habit of stopping right at the point where the dividers start; so when they stop, no other vehicle can utilize the lane earmarked for a left turn thereby leading a huge jam behind the bus.

BTP should firstly put notices that lane dividers have been put in place and ensure that there aren't any bus stops in the free-turn lanes.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_000051.jpg  

libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 11:35   #3450
Senior - BHPian

They closed the road from Nallurahalli till Tesco, which is the shortest and most decent way to reach Whitefield for those coming from Varthur. This was just because the CM is supposed to come to inaugurate something. The alternative routes add 4-6 km extra.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks