Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 12:07   #3631
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The lights turned green and I began inching forward but this guy couldn't move because the two-wheeler in front of him had stalled. My left ORVM hit his handle bar as I went forward. It was barely a nudge.

These kind of bikers are found all over and I face them quite a lot during my daily commute. In such a scenario, you should wait for such idiots to move on before you move. Forget their stares or threats, you would risk scratching your car or probably even running over the biker's foot. Not worth the risk at all.

Even when I'm on my bike, I get stares from 'fellow' bikers if I don't perform the task of squeezing through 2 cars
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 12:32   #3632
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Even when I'm on my bike, I get stares from 'fellow' bikers if I don't perform the task of squeezing through 2 cars
The normal 'location' I place my car (Civic) is the left-most point, touching the white centerline, on the right-most lane.

I keep moving in this fashion as long as it takes.

This allows the bikers sufficient space to move forward without any hindrance, but prevents even an auto to squeeze between the car and the median.

I also (almost always) place the car in such way that other vehicles are "actively denied" space to form a third parallel queue. And, if by chance someone forms a third queue, I make sure he/she is trapped and is not able to move forward.
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 14:12   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
, during my stay here when I drive my Kinetic , I get some honks and stares if i dont squeeze through a tiny opening between a gaping pothole and private bus which has transformed itself into a veritable Yama's vehicle. The good thing is that , atleast on my regular route between IIM and Jayadeva signal, people stop at red light and dont jump as much as they did earlier.

Yesterday , I drove till Gandhibazar from Jayanagar again on my bike and except for one signal the flow was relatively smooth except that I got stuck behind a ashmatic marcopolo bus which sinlge handedly contributed atleast 3% to the south Bangalore smoke levels...
Old 25th July 2012, 20:09   #3634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
IMHO, you really should have stayed put. In some countries, your action could be equated to simple assault. Take a chill pill.
I face similar situations like this every day, and it does not matter if I am on my scooter or car, some moron biker will always try and squeeze through where there is no gap.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Suppose he and the pillion decided to throw stones at your car or hit your car and stop in front of you challenging you to a fight, what would you have done? Would you be able to gather all your friends in 5 seconds? And being in a car, the public will offer more support to the biker.
It would have been terrible definitely. That's why I decided to let it go and not get into it. I remained poker-faced the entire time besides letting out a little smile. I know if I had so much as uttered something things would have gotten out of control. It also helps that I wear sunglasses when I drive.

Quote:
These kind of bikers are found all over and I face them quite a lot during my daily commute. In such a scenario, you should wait for such idiots to move on before you move. Forget their stares or threats, you would risk scratching your car or probably even running over the biker's foot. Not worth the risk at all.
I know, I've learnt my lesson.

Ignorance is bliss under such circumstances. It's best to just sit back and let them go. Funny thing is, my mirror barely nudged him.

These kind of guys are always itching for a fight. They honestly have no better work. I've noticed that the whole area is teeming with vagabonds popping wheelies on their chamber'd bikes at the drop of a hat.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:21   #3635
BHPian

What's with the "I don't care which side of the road I am, I don't care if I'm going to run you down" attitude past the Graphite India junction?

There are two smaller junctions past the Graphite India signal, before the "V" of ITPL main road and Hoodi Main road. The traffic and behavior there is appalling. Vehicles of all sizes headed in all different directions on the wrong side of the road. Won't be too long before someone dies there I'm afraid. This is where the "Breathe deeply. Repeat infinite times" that someone here mentioned, fails grandly. I need a Dark Knight Tumbler to get past this place, not a humble motorcycle.

Will post some pics when I get the chance.
Old 26th July 2012, 20:12   #3636
BHPian

Here is the mother of all left turns performed by a BMW at Hosa Road Junction on Hosur Road. This beemer took a turn to the service road from the extreme right lane!

Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 14:58   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Audio from the video
Unfortunately this kind of behavior is becoming quite common these days.

OT: Ah, a fellow NPR -Freakonomics listener inside the car. Don't you find the audio about "legacy of a jerk" perfectly describes the BMW driver ?
Old 5th August 2012, 19:13   #3638
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This afternoon I saw our traffic cops setting up an obstacle course with metal barricades alternating their placement on the left and right side on Old Madras Road in the stretch between the Millenia/Ulsoor lake signal and the Burial ground/BP petrol bunk junction. On my way back home, it was ready but I don't know what they're up to ?
Couple of pictures here:

Name:  OMR Obstacle Course1.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  102.6 KB

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-omr-obstacle-course2.jpg
Old 5th August 2012, 19:44   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This afternoon I saw our traffic cops setting up an obstacle course with metal barricades alternating their placement on the left and right side on Old Madras Road in the stretch between the Millenia/Ulsoor lake signal and the Burial ground/BP petrol bunk junction. On my way back home, it was ready but I don't know what they're up to ?
Couple of pictures here:

Attachment 965594

Attachment 965595
these are unmanned speed governing devices deployed by your friendly neighborhood cops. you can find them on weekends (when cops like some time off) on many roads like IRR etc.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:14   #3640
Distinguished - BHPian

On a busy road like Mekri circle and in peak hour see the cattle herd ( circled one) disrupting traffic. Common sight nowadays.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc00422.jpg  

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 15:37   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Couple of pictures here:
That could well be a trap for drunken driving . Weekend special
Old 11th August 2012, 18:32   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Unfortunately this kind of behavior is becoming quite common these days.

OT: Ah, a fellow NPR -Freakonomics listener inside the car. Don't you find the audio about "legacy of a jerk" perfectly describes the BMW driver ?
I do.

OT: Being an NPR addict it baffles me that there has been no discussion or meniton about Tom and Ray's car talk show in this forum!

-- Wind
Old 11th August 2012, 21:50   #3643
BHPian

Here is a junction where drivers ignore the red light with gay abandon. This is the junction of HSR 14th main road and Sarjapur road. Towards the end of the video you would hear a car horn. That was a fellow citizen with his family including kids behind me who was frustrated with me for stopping at the red light.

-- Wind
Old 13th August 2012, 09:34   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post

OT: Being an NPR addict it baffles me that there has been no discussion or meniton about Tom and Ray's car talk show in this forum!

-- Wind
OT: May be we can start a fresh thread on Car Talk. Sadly they just announced their retirement after 25 years.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:51   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
The normal 'location' I place my car (Civic) is the left-most point, touching the white centerline, on the right-most lane.

I keep moving in this fashion as long as it takes.

This allows the bikers sufficient space to move forward without any hindrance, but prevents even an auto to squeeze between the car and the median.

I also (almost always) place the car in such way that other vehicles are "actively denied" space to form a third parallel queue. And, if by chance someone forms a third queue, I make sure he/she is trapped and is not able to move forward.
Wish more users were as disciplined. I'm tempted to blame the RTO for not giving enough importance to road discpline in the tests; theory or practical.

I wonder if BTP accepts volunteers or if TeamBHP conducts such a program already. I wouldn't mind devoting time to minding traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks