Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2012, 13:08   #3661
Senior - BHPian

Two Big 10's and a Figo all want to go through at the same time and get stuck! This is at 1st block Koramangala.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image2050101039.jpg

IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 13:18   #3662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Did a 'tattle-tale' job today morning! And not feeling guity about it...

As per law, service road around silkboard till electronic city area should not be used by heavy vehicles, but no one follows it very strictly. The usual sand truckers, local private buses grease their way thru service roads to avoid looong signals.
I am fast becoming a RTI-Supari-Target!!

Today morning - same place - same story, but not 1, but 2 TN Govt buses one after the other, running amock in service road. I knew where they will be held up, so overtook them in my Honda Dio and shouted the cops to block the road and challan these 2 idiots. They pleaded with me to withdraw the 'complaint' but I stood my ground and left the place after the 2* cop promised to challan them. I have a video of them pleading, will load it tonight from home.

Somewhere in the 10 minute commotion I even offered them 100Rs from my side (50 per bus) and asked them (2 drivers/2 conductors) to share 25Rs each and pay the other 100! They went and stopped talking. They were afraid of service record taking a hit - to which I replied no point to grieve after sinning!

PS - I took the video while promising the 2* cop that I will load it online and he should" challan those 2..!

please merge vid to ^ post

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th September 2012 at 14:27. Reason: Merging video to original post.
svsantosh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 14:37   #3663
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Bangalore's traffic cops have amazing brains.

Those who drive via Varthur road would be familiar with the narrow winding road that goes on the shores of Varthur lake. Some villagers park their bullock carts and 3 wheeled goods carriers by the road, and go into the lake to cut the thick vegetation. They take their bullocks along, so that they can graze while these guys cut the vegetation and pile them in their goods carriers.

With ever-increasing traffic on that road (now, there is even construction going on in nearby areas), the road available is getting narrower day by day.

So a brave inspector decided to deflate the tyres of these 3-wheelers yesterday, causing chaos. And today, there were no goods carriers parked by the road.

I guess these villagers will use only bullock carts anymore. Imagine having to follow a bullock cart on that road!
Old 7th September 2012, 17:15   #3664
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Bangalore's traffic cops have amazing brains.

!
Saw a rare sight a while back beneath my office in Sivaji nagar.

A cop wheel locked a Govt of India car parked under the no parking sign, left the notice and walked away. Kudos to that cop.
mannubhai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 23:32   #3665
BHPian

My biggest gripes with traffic-sense in Bangalore today are:
1. most people not using their rear-view mirrors before deviating from a straight line
2. not looking far enough to avoid making silly/pointless short-term movements and lane-cutting
3. encroaching up all the way close to the middle of an unmanned 3/4-way junction rather than stay behind the zebra crossing and let vehicles from the road on your right clear up
4. blocking up a road when clearly there's no way for any progress (long red-light or otherwise) when there was a way for those who could've used the passage you just blocked (common at 4-way junctions: north is blocked, traffic from south wanting to go up north blocks traffic for the traffic from west that wants to go east (which isn't blocked))
5. the horrendous roads and the lack of road dividers at certain crucial junctions
Old 8th September 2012, 23:28   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
My biggest gripes with traffic-sense in Bangalore today are:
[snipped 5 bullet points]
Four of your points relate to bad drivers; and the fifth to BBMP. You miss a bunch of other agencies that contribute significantly to the nightmare on Bangalore roads - BTP (whatever happened to the lofty objectives of B-TRAC?), BMTC (is there any bus stop that doesn't block traffic??), BESCOM/BWSSB (dig, dig, dig - today it took me about 75 minutes from a point opposite Village supermarket to the IOCL pump on Varthur Road - a distance of, what, 2 km?), GoK (VIP motorcades, RTO etc.), BDA (example: ORR/NH4 junction at KR Pura) and so on.

Ultimately it all boils down to the lack of an overarching vision for Bangalore, I guess. The current raison d'etre of Bangalore is to make a small set of people a lot of money.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:44   #3667
Distinguished - BHPian

Such Vehicles with protruding load , moving on main roads in peak hours ( and extreme right), could be a nightmare if you are behind these!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc00485.jpg

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 17:41   #3668
BHPian

Guys, massive traffic jam on ORR at Intel junction towards silk board from marathalli. Service roads jam packed too. Be prepared please!
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 22:16   #3669
Distinguished - BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the day when the Intel and Belandur flyover work will complete. Hopefully we should be close now.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:55   #3670
BHPian

Looks like due to the BMTC strike, people have taken to their own vehicles which is causing jams on all the major roads. Buses/No Buses on the road, it still took me the same amount of time as every other day to reach E-City from Indiranagar.
Old 13th September 2012, 16:27   #3671
BHPian

A Puneites take on Bangalore Traffic...

I moved to Bangalore a month back, after spending last 15 years in Pune. I traveled in my car/bike on Bellary Road, Cunningham Road, ORR, Kundanhalli, Airport and other parts of North Bangalore. Here is my take on the traffic here -

1. The traffic cops are REALLY active here. In Pune you would be lucky to see traffic cops even on the busiest of junctions at busiest time of the day. It actually took a while to get used to so many cops on the road
2. I am 100% sure there is less madness on the road, compared to Pune. Cabies, Bikers, Autos are better behaved than Pune for sure. They actually slowdown when pedestrian cross the road. In Pune they just come huraling down towards you like a maniac!
3. Honking is definitely less, for sure. People on the road are relatively patient here
4. Lane discipline is better. In Pune this concept does not exist. what's lane? are you kidding?

Even thought he number of vehicles are way too more in Bangalore, the traffic has much more sense to it when compared to Pune. (All views are relative to Pune traffic)
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 17:41   #3672
Senior - BHPian

That's a nice perspective, Ulhas. Seeing the same stupidity on the same roads day in and day out leads one to believe that ours must be the worst scene. But as the saying goes, it is never so bad that if can't get any worse.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:20   #3673
Team-BHP Support

What is otherwise generally a half-n-hour drive (10 km) from Indiranagar to Jayanagar (RV Road) took me 1 hour and 15 minutes this morning. The moment I got onto Old Madras Road, it was hell. I couldn't get into 5th gear, and I generally do at least a few times during my 30 minute drive. There was utter chaos on Disckenson Road this morning.

Getting back home at 5 wasn't too much of an issue though.
Old 14th September 2012, 02:48   #3674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
A Puneites take on Bangalore Traffic...

I moved to Bangalore a month back, after spending last 15 years in Pune. I traveled in my car/bike on Bellary Road, Cunningham Road, ORR, Kundanhalli, Airport and other parts of North Bangalore. Here is my take on the traffic here -

1. The traffic cops are REALLY active here. In Pune you would be lucky to see traffic cops even on the busiest of junctions at busiest time of the day. It actually took a while to get used to so many cops on the road
2. I am 100% sure there is less madness on the road, compared to Pune. Cabies, Bikers, Autos are better behaved than Pune for sure. They actually slowdown when pedestrian cross the road. In Pune they just come huraling down towards you like a maniac!
3. Honking is definitely less, for sure. People on the road are relatively patient here
4. Lane discipline is better. In Pune this concept does not exist. what's lane? are you kidding?

Even thought he number of vehicles are way too more in Bangalore, the traffic has much more sense to it when compared to Pune. (All views are relative to Pune traffic)
Roads out there in Pune are double of the widest road in Bangalore.

Cabies, Bikers, Autos are better behaved than Pune for sure???? Are you kidding me? You can break-test an auto driver and move out of the scene "ALIVE", out there in Pune.

I know you are new here so loving the weather and all, but hold on, will read you contradicting yourself soon, maybe late enough to edit the above post of your's Just kidding.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:51   #3675
BHPian

Is the bus-strike happening today too ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks