Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 15:42   #3766
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
It's a good option. Depot to Depot, you will have a luxury of choosing seats and will not need to stand ever. But also consider the travel time. Will easily take 2.5 hrs to reach i guess.
Use the time to catch up on missed sleep, or listen to songs in air-conditioned comfort while the rest of the world curses, abuses and battles their way to their destination.

Seriously, if i had such an option of an assured seat in a volvo, and with the bus stop being close to my destination/boarding point i would dump my vehicle and take this option.

The daily grind driving in this city is taking more of a toll on my health than i imagined. And yes, i do follow almost all the pointers which was mentioned in bharat4ever's post, which i discovered through my own observations.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:53   #3767
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
But also consider the travel time. Will easily take 2.5 hrs to reach i guess.
Usual times,
Mornings:
7 -> 8:30
8 -> 9:45
9 -> 10:45

Evenings:
5 -> 6:45
6 -> ~8
7 -> ~9

Advantages:
1) AC & driven by professional driver
2) Cost is just ~1500 per month (Extras: unlimited travel on all days, on all BMTC except airport volvos)
3) If you have a smartphone or a laptop with internet, you can finish all emails & other browsing
4) Otherwise, can read a book, listen to podcast.

Last edited by msdivy : 17th October 2012 at 15:55.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 15:57   #3768
BHPian

Guys, I'm moving to Banglore soon. I got to drive from C V Raman Nagar to E-city daily.

With regards to traffic, what's the best time and route to travel between these two places?

And, what's the approximate travel time I can expect?
Old 17th October 2012, 16:03   #3769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, I'm moving to Banglore soon. I got to drive from C V Raman Nagar to E-city daily.

With regards to traffic, what's the best time and route to travel between these two places?

i start from Banaswadi (around 6.5kms further from CV Raman Nagar) at 8:30am and reach ECity by 10am. i spend considerable amount of time stuck at the NGEF bypass, which fortunately you don't have to pass through.

so long story short, if you start at 8 or 8:30, you can reach within an hour.

if i were you, i'd take this route:

CV Raman Nagar > Geethanjali Layout > Thippasandra > Indiranagar 80ft road > right at 12th Main Indiranagar > left within 200mts (CCD) > straight down the road you'll hit 14th Main > join 100ft road Indiranagar (beside New Horizon School) > straight down 100ft road and join Inner Ring Road > Ejipura > Sony World (Koramangala) > left at St. John's hospital road > right at Madiwala market signal > left at Madiwala police station > you're on Hosur road; either go below BETL or above it - your choice.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 17th October 2012 at 16:12. Reason: added route
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 16:38   #3770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Volvo from Banashankari to ITPL is an excellent option. The only issue I had was overcrowding since I get in from Belandur. You will not have that issue.

You can also get the monthly pass which will probably work out even cheaper.
Quote:
It's a good option. Depot to Depot, you will have a luxury of choosing seats and will not need to stand ever. But also consider the travel time. Will easily take 2.5 hrs to reach i guess.
I recall a friend mentioning that while returning on a Volvo from ITPL, he noticed people being allowed to get in and out anywhere they want while waiting in traffic, thus eliminating the need to actually stop at bus stops. Besides, everyone's moving at a snail's pace anyway and I'm not sure if the Volvo will take any longer than if I were to drive on my own.

I'll write back with my findings after I've tried this journey on my Activa, Yezdi, SX4 and Volvo(not mine).
Old 17th October 2012, 17:40   #3771
BHPian

Quote:

Cliffhanger, Welcome to Bangalore maddening traffic. Chennai is no better. So it is going to be home turf for you. I am curious to know why you chose to stay at CVRamanNagar for your commute to electronic city. If it is because you already have a own house and have narrowed down nearby school options for your kids then it is fine.

If not, you can look at house options near Bannerghatta road, Kanakapura road or even as far as Banashankari. The advantage of these places is that you can easily latch on to the NICE road which will give you a smooth ride all the way to E-city.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 00:14   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I recall a friend mentioning that while returning on a Volvo from ITPL, he noticed people being allowed to get in and out anywhere they want while waiting in traffic, thus eliminating the need to actually stop at bus stops. Besides, everyone's moving at a snail's pace anyway and I'm not sure if the Volvo will take any longer than if I were to drive on my own.

I'll write back with my findings after I've tried this journey on my Activa, Yezdi, SX4 and Volvo(not mine).
You'll probably get bored sitting in a Volvo - even if you have all the gadgets to spend away your time, sometimes it becomes too much of a boredom given that you have to travel 4 hrs daily sitting in a bus. Infact, I do travel daily from marathahalli to east end and i do not feel comfortable at all in the Volvos and feel sometime like puking ( but it might be just me ). I alternate between taking out my car and volvo and it works ok to certain extent but definitely is sickening with the kind of utter unruly traffic we have here.

Regards
Old 18th October 2012, 07:42   #3773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
You'll probably get bored sitting in a Volvo - even if you have all the gadgets to spend away your time, sometimes it becomes too much of a boredom given that you have to travel 4 hrs daily sitting in a bus. Infact, I do travel daily from marathahalli to east end and i do not feel comfortable at all in the Volvos and feel sometime like puking ( but it might be just me ). I alternate between taking out my car and volvo and it works ok to certain extent but definitely is sickening with the kind of utter unruly traffic we have here.

Regards
Unless I'm being accompanied by someone who'll help me pass time in the car or 2 wheeler, the Volvo will be the same if not better. I won't be the one driving or puking for that matter, sickening traffic or not.
Old 18th October 2012, 08:09   #3774
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Unless I'm being accompanied by someone who'll help me pass time in the car or 2 wheeler, the Volvo will be the same if not better. I won't be the one driving or puking for that matter, sickening traffic or not.
I don't know about the nausea part , but it definitely can get boring with the Volvos for 4-5 hours a day. Not to mention, the volvos are filled with people packed like sardines during peak hours. If you can wrestle with others for a chance to even hold the overhead grab rails, or even struggle to find place for your feet, give it a try. Oh, and I forgot. If you're a tall guy, the only seats where you can sit properly are the front seats and side seats next to the main middle door, or else the middle seat in the backmost row. I tried this Volvo option for commuting and gave up within 15 days because of all these reasons

- no seats. Need to stand and go for 25 km with the driver applying sudden brakes every now and then. Keep avoiding falling on fellow passengers, mumbling apologies for 2 hours.

- if you get seats, they are uncomfortable seats for tall people with no legroom whatsoever

- delays. They only take the main route and will stop everywhere and anywhere to pickup and drop passengers. Mornings can take you anywhere around 2 hours. Evenings are worse.

- pushing and prodding and getting your feet some weight therapy with others stamping, plus the risk of being pickpocketed during peak hours near the door area (I've had this happen once).

- AC vents above seats are sometimes broken / damaged. There is a blast of cold air above your head and you can do nothing about redirecting it. Happy blocked nose for the rest of the day!

- risk of contracting infections / diseases with so many people crammed in a closed space. Especially the common ones like cold / flu, etc.

I'd much rather prefer my bike / car any day because of those reasons, more so if your bus stop is at a location where you don't get seats. My house is near East End and all the buses are full by the time I get into them. Perhaps if I'm assured of a nice seat and my commute wasn't too long, I would have given Volvos a thought, but at the current distance, it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th October 2012 at 08:16.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:09   #3775
BHPian

Karthik, if you require I can share a GPS track of my route till HSR layout through Varthur. You want it?

Or tell me which route you prefer, I can make a track using the shortcuts on that route for you.
Old 18th October 2012, 17:15   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Karthik, if you require I can share a GPS track of my route till HSR layout through Varthur. You want it?

Or tell me which route you prefer, I can make a track using the shortcuts on that route for you.
Sometimes even the Varthur road becomes pathetic. Two reasons:

1. Delay at the karmelaram railway signal, which is off late a huge problem
2. The traffic at varthur market and police station.

The second one is not a big problem but the first one is.

There is another route to go to ORR (right at cisco office after the underpass). Take a right turn at varthur weekly market and continue on the same road for around 4-5 Kms and you will touch ORR. Most of the times its a trouble free road but on a bad day you can witness jams at the village narrow roads caused by loaded trucks.

I have been travelling from Whitefield (Kadugodi to be precise) to Dairy Circle everyday for last 2 years and can confidently tell you that there are no roads which are trouble free. Like you I tried Volvo buses but they did not work out for me for similar reason as your's. I now drive to work everyday. I used to go in my Enfield initially but now I m finding it a little difficult ( Read as I m getting older )

Below are my routes to work:

Kadugodi to Dairy Circle ( Before 7:30 AM)

Kadugodi - Varthur - HSR Layout - Sarjapur - Silkboard - Dairy Circle

Kadugodi to Dairy Circle ( Between 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM)

Kadugodi - Hoodi - left turn towards SAP - Right turn to Doddenakundi - Then the Alpine Eco apartment road to ORR - Sarjapur - Silkboard- Dairy Circle

( At this time varthur road is pathetic with train delays and also with school buses piling on the road)

Kadugodi to Dairy Circle ( after 9:30 AM)

Kadugodi - Varthur - HSR Layout - Sarjapur - Silkboard - Dairy Circle

Dairy Circle to Whitefield ( Before 5:30 PM)

Dairy Circle- Silkboard- ORR- Kundalahalli - Forum Value Mall - Kadugodi

Dairy Circle to Whitefield ( After 5:30 PM)

Dairy Circle- Silkboard- Sarjapura- Karmelaram- Varthur-Kadugodi

Guys, let me know if there are any easier routes.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:26   #3777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Sometimes even the Varthur road becomes pathetic. Two reasons:

1. Delay at the karmelaram railway signal, which is off late a huge problem
2. The traffic at varthur market and police station.
Add one more. Recently they dug across the road in front of Varthur government school. After they closed it, the mud went down, creating a moat across the road.

After 2 days of chaos, someone dumped gravel in it. Now it is so uneven that it has made no difference to traffic speeds. Any vehicle has to completely stop once, to get across. Traffic gets stuck all the way till Varthur police station. And the problem won't be solved for a few more years.

By the way, you have mentioned Sarjapur in multiple places. I think you mean Ambalipura/Iblur. Sarjapur is about 20 km from the other places you have mentioned.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:32   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf
By the way, you have mentioned Sarjapur in multiple places. I think you mean Ambalipura/Iblur. Sarjapur is about 20 km from the other places you have mentioned.
Yes... When I mentioned Sarjapur I actually meant Iblur.
Old 25th October 2012, 15:18   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Cliffhanger, Welcome to Bangalore maddening traffic. Chennai is no better. So it is going to be home turf for you. I am curious to know why you chose to stay at CVRamanNagar for your commute to electronic city. If it is because you already have a own house and have narrowed down nearby school options for your kids then it is fine.

If not, you can look at house options near Bannerghatta road, Kanakapura road or even as far as Banashankari. The advantage of these places is that you can easily latch on to the NICE road which will give you a smooth ride all the way to E-city.
Hi Sir, sorry for the delayed response, I just got settled in Bangalore. Yes, I'm slowly getting used to Bangalore traffic and general driving behavior. (Had a narrow escape today from hitting a brand new EON, which stopped suddenly on the middle of the Outer Ring road. Overtook only to see a Lady on the driver seat :( and her angry stare towards me.)

I've come here to test waters for 6months. If I'm not comfortable with the place, I will move back to good Old Madras. Btw, I'm single, and also thanks for your suggestions Sir.
Old 25th October 2012, 17:25   #3780
BHPian

Quote:

I've come here to test waters for 6months. If I'm not comfortable with the place, I will move back to good Old Madras. Btw, I'm single, and also thanks for your suggestions Sir.
Oops sorry. I am getting too old and imagine everybody in the forum to be married with kids. Glad your Punto came out unscathed on the rendezvous with the lady. Drive safe and have fun.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks