Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 18:34   #3871
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Dude that's 8-9 kms through some of the most congested and signal ridden roads, you did that in 15mins?

There might be slight jam in Silkboard for users coming from Madivala going towards BTM as there is Asphalting of roads happening in that section.
I wonder what kind of idiots instruct them to do asphalting / road repair work during peak hours on working days.

If I'm not mistaken, they are supposed to do any ORR-related work only during midnight shifts or on holidays, not on weekday evenings.

Any updates on marathahalli / kundalahalli / SAP labs bottlenecks? I'm still waiting it out in office since another friend sms'ed me at around 6pm about a huge jam from iGate till Graphite India junction. Will leave office only after it clears
Old 20th November 2012, 18:42   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Any updates on marathahalli / kundalahalli / SAP labs bottlenecks? I'm still waiting it out in office since another friend sms'ed me at around 6pm about a huge jam from iGate till Graphite India junction. Will leave office only after it clears
First - call home. Tell your family not to wait for you for dinner.
Then, go get yourself some dinner.

Traffic on the ORR stretch does not ease up until 10:00pm or so. All techies work late!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 18:52   #3873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

Traffic on the ORR stretch does not ease up until 10:00pm or so. All techies work late!
Today is reported to be a special day for all traffic jams. I'll eat some dinner before leaving, then pack up something to have in the car also. The car can have its meal idling, I too will have my meal idling in the jam.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th November 2012 at 18:55.
Old 20th November 2012, 18:55   #3874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

If it is of any help, from my office Graphite junction is visible. You can check with me prior to starting from office
onesomeone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 21:40   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I'm still waiting it out in office since another friend sms'ed me at around 6pm about a huge jam from iGate till Graphite India junction. Will leave office only after it clears
Whats so new about this traffic jam? Isnt this a regular one, 3/5 working days you get really bad jams on this strech in the evening.
Old 20th November 2012, 22:17   #3876
Senior - BHPian

ORR was quite OK, actually almost a free drive at least on my way (from Doddanekundi till Intel). Covered the 6 KMs in about 15 mins which is pretty good. Before that underpass opened it used to take almost double the time.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:55   #3877
BHPian

RTO understaffed

Everytime we hear about an overloaded CV or a school bus in an accident or an RTO taking months to issue a DL, we wonder why. RTOs says that it's because they are heavily understaffed. All that 'might' change soon.

Quote:
1.15 crore driving licences are issued or renewed by 997 RTOs in the country every year. The number of registered vehicles in the country is at least 15.25 crore.

Most states, barring a few like AP, Kerala, TN and Maharashtra, score badly so far as deployment of manpower for these works is concerned
Article
Old 21st November 2012, 09:25   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I was surprised too. Nrupathunga road was deserted and all green until Lalbagh. Cops were clearing the roads for VIP's and I was one of the last few to get past.

Although I must disagree with you. These roads aren't the most congested. There aren't any big tech parks in this portion of the city.
Agree with the Tech park thing but since it almost passes through the CBD its almost with heavy traffic but I guess the VIPs saved you a lot of time. Pure luck!
Old 21st November 2012, 10:03   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Re: RTO understaffed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Everytime we hear about an overloaded CV or a school bus in an accident or an RTO taking months to issue a DL, we wonder why. RTOs says that it's because they are heavily understaffed. All that 'might' change soon.

Article
"a transport official needs at least 15 minutes to issue a driving licence."

Therein lies the problem. DLs are issued without adequate screening, assessment or scrutiny.

I have an EU driving license. An official spent about 2 hours directly dealing with me and probably another 15-30 minutes handling my paperwork.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:29   #3880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Therein lies the problem. DLs are issued without adequate screening, assessment or scrutiny.
I'm assuming that they mean the documentation(back end) part only and not necessarily the entire process; theory + driving + documentation. Although, they do issue licenses to who aren't fit for the roads.

Quote:
I have an EU driving license. An official spent about 2 hours directly dealing with me and probably another 15-30 minutes handling my paperwork.
The process is different in every country/union. All the paper handling happened in the background in the UK for me. Took me 2 minutes to apply for an LL and 2 more for the full DL. The actual theory and driving test took ~ 1 hour and 30 minutes respectively.
Old 21st November 2012, 14:18   #3881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the early 1980's, my aunt learnt to drive and applied for a drivers license. In her first driving test, which ended in about 15 minutes, she flunked.
In her 2nd attempt, the driving test lasted about 30 minutes. She passed. She was asked to (among other things) parallel park and start on a slope. I don't remember much else, I was a kid back then!

All this happened in ... RTO Bangalore South!

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 21st November 2012 at 14:19. Reason: added content
Old 26th November 2012, 16:50   #3882
BHPian

His Holiness Dalai Lamaji was in the city today. Had to wait for almost 12 minutes as Bellary Road was emptied to make way for his car (& 9 others)
Old 26th November 2012, 18:36   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
His Holiness Dalai Lamaji was in the city today. Had to wait for almost 12 minutes as Bellary Road was emptied to make way for his car (& 9 others)
And you gripe. I wait daily at the Sony World signal that long to pass through (from Madiwala towards Domlur, evening peak hours).
Old 30th November 2012, 09:31   #3884
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a route to avoid. The road from BEML Gate(Tippasandra end) to ADA . Under the guise of road widening one side of the road is excavated and they expect a two lane traffic to be mananged in the single lane.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc00554.jpg
Cheers!
Old 30th November 2012, 10:10   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And you gripe. I wait daily at the Sony World signal that long to pass through (from Madiwala towards Domlur, evening peak hours).
then how come we don't bump into each other anymore? you travel later in the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is a route to avoid. The road from BEML Gate(Tippasandra end) to ADA . Under the guise of road widening one side of the road is excavated and they expect a two lane traffic to be mananged in the single lane.
Attachment 1020256
Cheers!
i thought they had already cut the trees and widened the road (all that greenery lost)! is it not over yet?

Most Viewed