Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 11:38   #4696
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I don't know about "world over", I can only talk about the countries where I have driven. For example, in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-15...ons-170-to-183 (see rule 175)

It is abundantly clear that you cannot enter an intersection when the aspect is amber. It is a "go" signal only for those who have crossed the stop line already.

I also understand this is exactly the case in Canada and US (and Australia). Still, not "world over", true.
Why would the amber light duration be longer on roads with higher speeds? Your experience could be within cities where the speeds are less. Also I am not sure if someone would even see the traffic lights after you cross the stop line. (provided you entered it while the light was green or amber)

After driving for long 'world over' you do get used to whether you should stop depending on the speed at which you travel and will never ever see the red light. You can get through and cross the intersection when its amber.

All these do not apply in our great country where the drivers and the authorities lack common sense.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:36   #4697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You can get through and cross the intersection when its amber.
There might be special cases ("I was too close" etc.), but this is definitely not true in the general case.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:19   #4698
Senior - BHPian

Just a few posts ago, I mentioned problems with Varthur bridge's strength. Seems like I don't have to complain to BTP on Facebook at all. Last night, one of the slabs developed a hole. It is big enough for a man to slip through, into the stench waters below (I say, someone will die while falling due to suffocation, even before she/he drowns).

Some good soul has built a wall on one side, with hollow concrete blocks. It is written 'work in progress' on it in red. But it has no reflectors. So those who drive from Varthur to Whitefield at night, beware.

Heavy vehicles coming from Whitefield and heading to Sarjapur are being redirected into the city. For Varthur-Sarjapur direction, the old narrow bridge is being used. Cops are doing a good job!

But the vehicles coming from Sarjapur, including container trucks, are still allowed to take the damaged bridge. I hope the whole bridge doesn't collapse!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 09:51   #4699
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
So now nobody would think a bangalorean exaggerates when he talks about the roads or lack of it.

15 days after fresh tar was laid. Nandidurga road

Also notice the burgeoning pot hole on the left i had mentioned about in my previous post on this thread.
Someone who commutes daily on Nandidurga road would know that the entire stretch was dug and full of potholes for a year and this sad thing happened just after a fresh road was laid.
Old 25th July 2013, 10:56   #4700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Someone who commutes daily on Nandidurga road would know that the entire stretch was dug and full of potholes for a year and this sad thing happened just after a fresh road was laid.
my car can do some serious offroading on that stretch; don't need to go anywhere else
Old 25th July 2013, 16:29   #4701
BHPian

Anyone who drives to Manyata Tech Park, Bangalore would have enjoyed the 20 minute torture leading from the Nagwara signal right till you get into Manyata. Constructing fly-overs is ok, but a provision should have been thought out to handle the vehicles. Everyday is a nightmare- 4 lanes of traffic squeezing into a service road which is fit to handle none. And of-course, we all have to give way to Buses and lorries who don't need to worry about lanes.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:27   #4702
Team-BHP Support

Left home earlier than usual at 7 today, like I usually do on Fridays. Over the past few weeks, early morning traffic seems to be really haphazard around Karmelaram railway crossing even during that 'unearthly' hour, thanks to 2-3 trains arriving there around 7.30 or so.

Today for a change I took the regular ORR - Marathahalli - Kundalahalli route to ITPL. I was appalled to find even this route jammed so early with crazy cabs and buses. There seems to be no end to this madness. Seriously, what is the solution for people like me (who don't have WFH option) to avoid traffic madness if one were to use ORR?? Even 7 AM is jammed . What next?? Work from 5AM to 2PM??
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 11:31   #4703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
What next?? Work from 5AM to 2PM??
i think that'd be better or stick to WFH!

on Wednesday, i reach KR Puram at 7:30am and the whole place was gridlocked! traffic similar to 10am!! to make it worse, people drive anywhere they want; almost got rammed twice yesterday and once this morning on the Marathahalli ORR section!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:47   #4704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Left home earlier than usual at 7 today, like I usually do on Fridays. Over the past few weeks, early morning traffic seems to be really haphazard around Karmelaram railway crossing even during that 'unearthly' hour, thanks to 2-3 trains arriving there around 7.30 or so.

Today for a change I took the regular ORR - Marathahalli - Kundalahalli route to ITPL. I was appalled to find even this route jammed so early with crazy cabs and buses. There seems to be no end to this madness. Seriously, what is the solution for people like me (who don't have WFH option) to avoid traffic madness if one were to use ORR?? Even 7 AM is jammed . What next?? Work from 5AM to 2PM??
From personal experience - if you leave home at 7am, go through the city (Jayanagar - Double Road - Residency Road - Old Airport Road). It is the fastest way to reach Marathahalli.
Whenever I leave home - BSK 2nd Stage - between 7 & 7:30am, I go through Jayanagar - Dairy Circle - Hosur Rd, and I am on the Silk Board flyover in 25 minutes flat. Guaranteed!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 16:36   #4705
BHPian

OK, here's Mr.Bruised-Ego ranting. I take the Hoskote - Safal Market - Kadugodi - Whitefield stretch very frequently ( perhaps more than a few hundred times in the last 3 years ). Up until the Shell petrol pump/Nitesh Forest Hills, majority of the people coming from Hoskote/NH4/Safal/NH207/Airport do very high speeds 90+. I usually stick to around 70-80Kmph.

This afternoon I got challaned for overspeeding, the interceptor with the speed gun was positioned at a place after Safal Market leading to many many vehicles being challaned - I have never seen a speed gun/interceptor in that entire stretch nor is there a speed limit board anywhere. It's common knowledge that vehicles do good speeds on that stretch - so perhaps that's why it was placed there to catch unsuspecting folks.

Now, irrespective of all my theories, I was caught doing 76kph. The cops pulled me over and told me that I was overspeeding on city roads and that the limit was 60kph ( this was a km or so after Safal Market towards Shell PP). I told him that I have never seen a speed limit board and that I wasn't even sure it was city limits ( It may actually be Bangalore Rural/Hoskote Taluk, but I could be wrong ). He asked me to go check some 'notifications' that were sent out about this. Almost everyone was coughing up the Rs.300 with minimal complaining and I didn't feel like being the lone long-detesting guy. Paid, got the receipt and drove away sullen-faced.

Questions
1) What is this 'notification' ?
2) What is this 60 kph city rule and how does one know what's a 'city road' ?

Having had a very good driving record - no black mark , big or small , in the last 6 years - this is a huge dent on my ego as well as on my impression of myself that I'm a 'rule abiding' driver. And not to mention the 1/3 infraction on my DL. Can someone throw the rule book at me/tell me if I erred ? I'm not really complaining here - just want to know if I was really at fault.

Last edited by airguitar : 29th July 2013 at 16:38.
Old 29th July 2013, 16:47   #4706
BHPian

I travel from H.S.R to Manyata everyday at different timings (by bike). It does not take more than 45 mins. Average is 40mins. No Rant.
Old 29th July 2013, 16:58   #4707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
The notification came out a couple of years ago - it rationalized the speed limits on all roads within BTP's jurisdiction to 60 kmph for LMVs (80 kmph on BETL and Hebbal-New Airport). This is the best link I could find:

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...id=180&btp=180

What is a city road - I expect it is all roads that fall under BTP's jurisdiction. I don't know where that starts or ends, but I am almost sure Whitefield is part of BTP.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 17:00   #4708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Questions
Reference is to this: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...id=180&btp=180

Actually the wording in the notification is itself misleading. The cops have the right (admittedly required if used correctly) to further specify a LOWER limit than 60 km/hr where necessary.

A prime example is the Bellary Road (BIAL) stretch between Ganganagar/CBI Junction (i.e. shortly after Mekhri Circle) and Hebbal with a speed limit of 50 km/hr!

Many 'speeders's are challaned here thinking it's the usual 60 km/hr. Most daily commuters are well aware and slow down - its usually the unaware out-of-towners and/or weekend drivers who speed up seeing the rare gap and get flagged down.

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th July 2013 at 17:01. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 17:40   #4709
BHPian

Thank you guys - it says Jurisdiction of the commissioner of police. But the link sure is useful. I'll never be sure if I got challaned in the right 'zone', but perhaps, doesn't matter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The notification came out a couple of years ago - it rationalized the speed limits on all roads within BTP's jurisdiction to 60 kmph for LMVs (80 kmph on BETL and Hebbal-New Airport). This is the best link I could find:

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...id=180&btp=180

What is a city road - I expect it is all roads that fall under BTP's jurisdiction. I don't know where that starts or ends, but I am almost sure Whitefield is part of BTP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Old 29th July 2013, 17:47   #4710
BHPian

I jumped the silk board signal on Saturday night :(.

Did it because I had crossed the zebra crossing and then realized that the green had gone to Amber! Did not want to stop in the middle of the road.
Got an earful from my dad.

Whatever be the reason, it was my mistake and I should have stopped :(.

I did not want to go to a cop and tell him that I jumped the signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks