Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 08:30   #4966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Today's BM:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/23059335.cms

In short, mini-celebrity is caught DUI. Argues with the cops, throws tantrums and connections, generally makes a scene. Cops aren't impressed by celebrity, fines him. Celebrity finds a sympathetic journalist to highlight "police high-handedness during DUI checks". Journalist happily obliges.

BM (which has done some good things, like running a sustained campaign against the pothole infested roads of Bangalore) is at times very critical of the DUI checks in Bangalore, and grants column inches to every such wannabe. This time, I think we should take the initiative and deliver a (e-) letter to BM signed by some law-abiding road users who want these cops to be motivated to continue their good work without fear or favour.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 09:29   #4967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The same BTP team believes that a signal is not required at similar T-Junctions in Gottigere, the one near IIMB and the one opp to Bata showroom-Hulimavu where the traffic flow is more from the inner road joining the junction. I wonder who are the brains at BTP who decide the placement of traffic signals.
No Sir, I dont think any one applied brains here. Looks like some one applied lots of gandhi prints, either Meenakshi Mall Owner or Mantri Developers.

As you said, its amazing to see the urgency shown to put signal near the Meenakshi Mall instead of IIMB and Bata showroom junction. Which is more painfull.

Not sure why they could not just place a lollipop man there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Nice to know that I am not the only one ranting at this new signal and to top it off, the new humps that have grown there.

I feel that Loyola is in desperate need of a signal, as it is a mess in the mornings and evenings.
Almost everyone is crying foul because of this signal and the humps. Whats happening now is that when the signals are switched off, the traffic coming from Meenakshi Mall has the advantage to join BG road.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:01   #4968
Senior - BHPian

Traffic alert: Super jam on 29th Main BTM Lake road. Anyone travelling on this route, try any other route or be prepared to be stuck for more than 45mins to 1hr !! Almost 2km jam.

Add to the pain, bikers riding on foothpath and suddenly barging onto the main road !! :-(

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 26th September 2013 at 10:07.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:20   #4969
Senior - BHPian

ALERT ALERT ALERT: ORR JAM

There is a BMTC blue bus breakdown just in front of the divider that splits the road between Sarjapur and Bellandur, at Sarjpur junction, coming from Agara side.
One cop is managing the traffic there. One has to go around the bus. I am really stunned as to why the bus is stuck in such a position !!
May be he had to go to Sarjapur and realised it too late. When he tried to turn, the bus broke down.

Here is a rough diagram of the jammed location:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sarjapur-jam.jpg

One more pathetic thing. People wishing to go to Intel / Ecospace, used to join the service road after the Bellandur flyover.
There were two openings to join.
- One, just after you get down from Bellandur flyover, take the left towards Maruti Showroom.
- Second one was just before the ramp to Intel flyover started.

Today I saw that the second opening before the Intel flyover has been closed to dig drainage line. So basically I had to go all the way up the Intel flyover, come down, take a U-Turn and then come up the Intel flyover, come down and take a left to Ecospace. Phew !!

Here is a rough diagram of what I am trying to say:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bellandur.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 13:13   #4970
BHPian

Team

Anyone knows what's up at the Kundalahalli Gate signal these days?

It take 25 min to cross this signal, coming from Brookefields direction.
Infact today it took me 35 min.

Regards
Old 26th September 2013, 13:32   #4971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Team

Regards
That road is a pain for me every day. Looks like signal timings were changed. Some days cops manually man the signals. Cant you avoid that stretch?
Old 26th September 2013, 14:05   #4972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Almost everyone is crying foul because of this signal and the humps. Whats happening now is that when the signals are switched off, the traffic coming from Meenakshi Mall has the advantage to join BG road.
Its frustrating! 90 Seconds Red signal and then only 25 seconds Green, looks like they are playing around with the timings. On top of it, this speed breaker. First time I am seeing a speed breaker in front of a signal.
Old 26th September 2013, 15:57   #4973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
That road is a pain for me every day. Looks like signal timings were changed. Some days cops manually man the signals. Cant you avoid that stretch?
Agree! This junction is a real pain. Multiple stress factors which add up. The queue from both Brookfields and Marathahalli, vehicles jutting their noses from side roads and u-turns, two wheelers trying to jump from or on to the pavements etc. Any time after 9.30AM and you are sure to wait for more than 30 minutes. Luckily, i take this route only twice a week.
Old 26th September 2013, 16:04   #4974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Team

Regards
This is a stupid bottleneck. They should have planned for an underpass or flyover. My office was in Hypercity. If I did not get in before 730 am, i needed to spend 10 min getting in. If I did not leave before 4, I would spend 15 min trying to get out

I moved to Sarjapur Ring Road. Slightly similar story but a little easier.
Old 26th September 2013, 18:20   #4975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Team

Regards
Not sure what happened, I guess folks going towards ITPL, Kadugodi are taking this route instead of Mahadevapura road.
Old 26th September 2013, 18:31   #4976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Today I saw that the second opening before the Intel flyover has been closed to dig drainage line. So basically I had to go all the way up the Intel flyover, come down, take a U-Turn and then come up the Intel flyover, come down and take a left to Ecospace. Phew !!
Instead of this, you can cross the Intel Flyover (going towards Marathalli), take a left U-turn on to the service road (Passport Office road) right after you come down the flyover, come back and join the Intel/Ecospace Service road under the Intel flyover. Will save you time.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 18:38   #4977
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, I came down the Bellandur flyover and moved to extreme right, they have removed the stones. So I could drive between the next flyover and turn in.
Old 26th September 2013, 21:49   #4978
BHPian

I find myself behind or in front of an ambulance almost everyday while waiting between St Johns and Hosur road traffic signal. The ambulance staff announce the emergency via their siren, horn and the mic/speaker setup. A well equipped hospital with capable doctors is a few metres from where they are, yet the service provider of the ambulance insists on going elsewhere.

The cop manning the traffic lights cannot hear the sirens and everyone around is worked up and noisy.

Anyone know how the ambulance delivery system works ? In an emergency, are they required to drive the patient to the nearest hospital or a one they are affiliated to ? I can understand if the private ones choose to go to theirs, but what about the 1062/102 and 108 service ?
Old 26th September 2013, 22:25   #4979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Not sure what happened, I guess folks going towards ITPL, Kadugodi are taking this route instead of Mahadevapura road.
Absolutely! Because this is the shortest! Owing to the heavy inflow/outflow of vehicles from ITPL this signal is totally choked during peak hours. I take it during off-peak hours and usually drive through in a jiffy. It's high time they construct a flyover there - and a meaningful one with the Marathahalli-Brookefields as the thoroughfare.
Old 27th September 2013, 09:39   #4980
BHPian

Some good news for a change -
The pothole just before Marathalli railway bridge has been filled in. Its not done properly, but it has been filled and does not seem life threatening.

I also found 2 sweet timing intervals for my HSR - Kundalahalli daily commute. Either leave HSR at 820 or after 1115 AM. Post 845 AM traffic becomes very bad. Before 820 I havent checked as it is infeasible for me.

I left home at 820 today and reached office by almost 9. When I leave at 1115 I reach office in about 30 minutes. Any time between these 2 takes an hour minimum.

Most Viewed