Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 22:59   #5011
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Not sure if this incident qualifies to be here or in the Bad Drivers thread.

A person visiting a neighbour on our street (we came to know this later), slowly opens the gate, backs up his car into our porch and stops barely a few millimetres in front of my car which was already parked there. And he continued to be inside the car with windows rolled up and all this while my daughter and I were inside the house (we did not hear a thing!). Around the same time, my wife who had gone out returned home and found this character and freaked out! He said he was waiting for another car to pass before he could go out! That happened to be a relative who was visiting us and he was waiting for this car to go out, so deadlock

When my wife enquired with him he just said he will take care of closing the gate (he did not even ask before opening it) and when asked again if he was visiting our neighbour he just nodded and moved his car out onto the street. We then had to ask him to back up further down the street to allow our guest to drive up to our gate and again the guy goes back grudgingly - wonder what happened to some basic courtesy, civic sense, humanity ? I guess these things simply don't apply in our days

Last edited by NPV : 7th October 2013 at 23:04.
Old 7th October 2013, 23:22   #5012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
wonder what happened to some basic courtesy, civic sense, humanity ? I guess these things simply don't apply in our days
May be its high time you put on a lock on your gate. Wow this is getting to the next level !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 23:33   #5013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A person visiting a neighbour on our street (we came to know this later), slowly opens the gate, backs up his car into our porch and stops barely a few millimetres in front of my car which was already parked there.
Put up a board on your gate - 'Trespassers will be prosecuted by scratching their vehicles".
Old 7th October 2013, 23:37   #5014
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
May be its high time you put on a lock on your gate. Wow this is getting to the next level !
We usually lock it later in the evening but I'd just gotten home about 5 minutes before this incident and never expected someone to just open the gate and back up their car
Maybe I need a taller gate (or possibly a moat with crocodiles in the water or at least a large menacing dog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Put up a board on your gate - 'Trespassers will be prosecuted by scratching their vehicles".
Yes, another option!

Last edited by NPV : 7th October 2013 at 23:39.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 10:10   #5015
BHPian

This can be as well shared in the Bad Drivers thread as well.
Graphite India Signal, Whitefield.
The road ends where the tree stands. But who cares. Bikes, cars, Autos can use the "extended road" to the left of the tree as well.
"Pedestrians? Who are they? They can swing from tree to tree to get across"
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-graphite_india.jpg  

aneezan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 10:29   #5016
BHPian

Quote:
We then had to ask him to back up further down the street to allow our guest to drive up to our gate and again the guy goes back grudgingly - wonder what happened to some basic courtesy, civic sense, humanity ? I guess these things simply don't apply in our days
I faced this problem for many years, people used to park right in front my house, on the ramp leading to porch and in the middle of the road (since our road was a deadend)

They always used to confront us when asked to remove or move the vehicle.

The incidents came down after we started to create a ruckus everytime a car was parked in front of the house.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
"Pedestrians? Who are they? They can swing from tree to tree to get across"

Already the footpath near the hyundai service station is in bad condition. Best thing is, they even honk at the pedestrians and even frown upon when the pedestrians don't move away.

Regards

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2013 at 00:54. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ or "" (MULTI-QUOTE) when quoting multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2013, 10:41   #5017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

Already the footpath near the hyundai service station is in bad condition. Best thing is, they even honk at the pedestrians and even frown upon when the pedestrians don't move away.

Regards
Agree.
IMO, the award for universally bad drivers goes to our taxi drivers. It is both frustrating and difficult to drive when they barge into you from nowhere. And like you say, they frown upon you with a "Its your fault" look.
Our Bangalore Bus Drivers come a close second.
Old 9th October 2013, 10:50   #5018
BHPian

Have not really tracked to see if petitions have done their rounds on this thread (have a strong feeling it already might have) - HERE is an on-going one on the road conditions in Bangalore. Please sign if you have a moment.
andyonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 11:22   #5019
Senior - BHPian

Last night's rains have really made the matters worse for motorists in Bangalore. Within 6 hours of heavy rains, I already noticed that many old potholes have widened and new ones have appeared. A few weeks ago, many potholes were filled with mud. Now that the rains have washed away the mud, I am waiting to see how the authorities will react (if they react at all).

I don't think the authorities will bother to fix the roads on the outskirts. At the most, they may put patches, which last a maximum of two months. How I wish the corporators were made to live in the areas they represent and commute to office everyday!

I just realised that I get 14 KMs of pothole filled roads out of 25 KMs I have to drive from home to office daily
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 16:15   #5020
Senior - BHPian

Major traffic jam on KR Puram ring road starting from Ramamurthynagar signal till KR Puram station due to broken down truck.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:30   #5021
Senior - BHPian

I would like to share the incidents I've had with the traffic police at Electronics City. The location is the traffic signal where motorists from the BETL join the NH7, to proceed to Hosur.

The cops are located on the left side of the road, where a salapuria project is coming up. These cops usually stop non-KA trucks to verify the documents.

I use the NICE road, get to Hosur road and make a U-turn to get to electronics city.

The traffic cops have fined me twice for violating the traffic signal, though I am sure it was a green signal. The second incident was today. As I was making the U-turn, a biker and a motorist from the Hosur side ignored the red light and proceeded, while other vehicles were waiting for the signal to turn green. The cops would not believe me! There did not stop the other violating motorists as well!

I would suggest all bhp-ians who follow the same route to be careful of these cops.
Old 9th October 2013, 20:14   #5022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I would like to share the incidents I've had with the traffic police at Electronics City. The location is the traffic signal where motorists from the BETL join the NH7, to proceed to Hosur.
I am not sure if you wanted to say NICE Road - EC Phase 1.
Today these IDIOTS (Traffic police) were manually managing traffic even though the Signal was working fine. I was 2nd at the signal while it was red from Silk Board side to take a Right in EC Phase 1. A bus in middle lane started and moved on and the Tempo in front of me started moving, I did not because it was red and then I see the policeman asking to move and go ahead. I pointed to him to the Red Signal but he asked me to move on.

I guess they wanted to do some manual work today
Old 9th October 2013, 22:06   #5023
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I faced this problem for many years, people used to park right in front my house, on the ramp leading to porch and in the middle of the road (since our road was a deadend)
Yes, a similar situation for me as well - the street has no outlet (dead end). One improvement is that people don't park in front of our gate these days but a new problem is that they park at the entrance of the street and block our entry/exit. To add to the woes, the entrance of the street is a busy T junction with a bakery in the corner so most of their customers assume that place to be the designated parking area for them

Last edited by NPV : 9th October 2013 at 22:07.
Old 9th October 2013, 23:15   #5024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Major traffic jam on KR Puram ring road starting from Ramamurthynagar signal till KR Puram station due to broken down truck.
I was stuck on the Old Madras Road stretch from 3.45 to 4.30pm, the jam started just after the Big Bazaar Signal and all the way upto the railway station.
Didn't find any problems, may be they cleared the broken down vehicle. But I was amazed to see a lot of heavy vehicles (read trucks, trailers) plying on city roads during that time.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:13   #5025
BHPian

Does anyone use this Vydehi hospital intersection daily? Its become crazy these days! The traffic has increased multi-fold at this junction over the years, but there is no signal. Everyone takes turns at will. Adding to the woes is the bus stop. Buses simply line up right on the junction causing chaos on all 4 roads.
They should install signals as soon as possible at this junction to regulate traffic.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-vydehi.jpg
(Source: Google Maps)

What really are zebra crossings for in India? I fail to find the reason why the government/police/anyone paints them when they don't serve any purpose. I have lived in Africa(~dark continent) for ten years during the 80s to 90s when it was nowhere as developed as it is now. However, back then, at-least road discipline was followed. Zebra crossings do not require signals or traffic police to man. No matter what speed the vehicle is in, you have to stop and let people cross. Pedestrians also have some faith/trust that the vehicles will stop. There are heavy fines if the rule was flouted.
Of-course, the implementation was/is not as strict as it is in the "developed countries". But you can still USE zebra crossings.

Coming back to India after 10 years(in 1998), i had to learn that these crossings were just for the sake.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2013 at 15:22.

Most Viewed