Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 08:32   #5146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
When the road is wider, everyone will follow each other in proper order.
Not in Bangalore, mate - not in Bangalore. Come and see JB Nagar Main Road or Indira Nagar 80 ft Road in this part of Bangalore, for example.
Old 26th October 2013, 09:46   #5147
Senior - BHPian

One thing that irritates me a lot when I'm driving/riding is the sheer lack of ability/patience of people to slow down or stop when there is an obstacle in front of them!

I mean, it's almost like the life force will be sucked out of them if they slow down! If the vehicle in front stops/slows down - go around it, even it it means one ends up on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic! Overtaking when the vehicle in front slows down on a speed breaker, overtaking when the vehicle ahead is negotiating a pothole, overtaking when pedestrians are crossing, overtaking and driving/riding on the wrong side to get ahead of the queue at a traffic signal and so on!

What the heck is wrong with people!!
Old 26th October 2013, 10:58   #5148
BHPian

You know what grinds my ears?

Lane indiscipline.

It is so rampant, that sometimes I have to throw the discipline out to avoid being at receiving end :(
Old 26th October 2013, 13:37   #5149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
You know what grinds my ears? Lane indiscipline. It is so rampant, that sometimes I have to throw the discipline out to avoid being at receiving end :(
I'm stuck in traffic at Sankey tank road. It was two lanes, then became three and very soon it will become one way! Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image1563492620.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 26th October 2013 at 13:38.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 14:45   #5150
BHPian

Do you know how this 'lane indiscipline' virus transmits to the 'educated' IT crowd? A story from a dear friend :

" Me and Sameer earned B.Tech from same college and we both got job in Accenture Bangalore. We stay in the same PG in JP Nagar. Our office is in ITPL area. We work under same manager, so our office timings are almost same. We commute in our bikes. Initially, we used to start from our PG together and reach office at almost same time. After a few weeks, I noticed Sameer reaching office much before than I. In fact, when I reach office, he was already in the middle of work. Soon, I started looking at myself like a fool. How does this guy start from PG with me , reach office much earlier and as a result, completes much more work than I. One day I asked him, how do you manage to reach so early? Sameer said, boss you need to learn to ride on footpath; sometimes ignore red signals and have to squeeze your way in traffic. So I started playing these 'tricks' from next day; and after a few days, my commute time reduced by more than 30 mins."
Old 26th October 2013, 15:01   #5151
Senior - BHPian

^ your friend seems to be proud of his achievement and the new skill he's acquired.

I so loathe such people who will do anything to get their way, even if it might be unethical and/or put someone else's life in danger.
Old 26th October 2013, 15:19   #5152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
^ your friend seems to be proud of his achievement and the new skill he's acquired.

I so loathe such people who will do anything to get their way, even if it might be unethical and/or put someone else's life in danger.
The question is, how do we reason with these guys to Not follow these nuisance? I tried a lot with this friend but failed
Old 26th October 2013, 15:27   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
I'm stuck in traffic at Sankey tank road. It was two lanes, then became three and very soon it will become one way!
The traffic in that road is getting worse day by day. Its the case ever since BTP have restricted traffic movement coming from Yeshwantpur via IISC. A lot of times I have seen BMTC buses forming the 3rd and 4th lanes.
Old 26th October 2013, 16:26   #5154
BHPian

Quote:
One thing that irritates me a lot when I'm driving/riding is the sheer lack of ability/patience of people to slow down or stop when there is an obstacle in front of them!
I completely agree with you. An idiot biker did the same thing and hit my front bumber from side on Hosur Road traffic before Bomannahalli day before yesterday. He was zig zagging like a snake between two lanes of car and would move to whichever lane traffic moved ahead even by inches. Adding to it he was never looking side ways if he will hit another car as if its my responsibility to go invisble whe he decide to dogdge in.
His answer after getting hit 'what can I do man?' as if his bike cannot stop or even if he decides to move between lanes, God has not given him eyes to look where he is going. And what do I get in return, angry mood and a finger from him as if its my fault.
Why don't such riders die below a dumper or truck. But as God has it, people who ride safely are the ones who suffer and die while waiting at a Red signal.
vidyanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 22:31   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
I'm stuck in traffic at Sankey tank road. It was two lanes, then became three and very soon it will become one way! Attachment 1157919
Sankey tank has turned into a nightmare these days. My office is at Malleshwaram and in the mornings I use that road. The opposite side from Malleshwaram to Sadashivnagar gets jammed up early in the morning and the traffic guys manage it manually. Evening I don't bother going that side. Not sure if the IISc underpass has to anything to do with this?
Old 26th October 2013, 23:06   #5156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Do you know how this 'lane indiscipline' virus transmits to the 'educated' IT crowd?...
Please ask this friend of yours to ride on the footpaths near Forum mall/Raheja arcade/St. John's hospital area. I will make sure that he pays dearly for his act of "valour".

Quote:
+1

These imbeciles must be booked for attempted murder and given a couple of years in prison. After all, riding on the footpath is indeed attempted murder, of hapless law-abiding pedestrians
Old 26th October 2013, 23:15   #5157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
These imbeciles must be booked for attempted murder and given a couple of years in prison
+1 that. saw this guy on an Enfield on t footpath near SAP Labs. Almost ran over an old woman
Old 26th October 2013, 23:20   #5158
Team-BHP Support

I should be putting this in the BETL thread also but it's a rant and a really cheesed off rant.

I had to go to work today and used the BETL. On the way back home in the evening, the elevated road was jammed starting from the lay bye!!! I thought there might have been an accident causing a pile up. I was wrong.

As the cars inched towards garebhavepalya on top, I saw a sign that said "Detour 200m". After a few mins of crawling, I saw that the elevated road was closed towards silk board, both lanes. They had broken the divider and were diverting traffic to the opposite side. both sides getting one lane.

This was naturally causing a massive pileup.

Now this is what cheesed me off. It's a private developed road. They still collected the full toll and they still allowed traffic to enter the flyover and get piled up massively. I mean come on!! Why not just close the flyover temporarily? Or put a board that says delays expected due to road closure on top. Let the commuters decide. This is outright cheating. I paid 40 bucks and took 45mins to clear the flyover on a saturday when the road below was relatively free. I had to reach home urgently so I took the flyover wanting to save a few mins.

Idiotic and completely taking the commuters for a ride.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 17:03   #5159
Team-BHP Support

A rant on the Carmelaram - Gunjur - Varthur route from today morning's office commute. There was apparently a bus collapsed near the Krupanidhi college bridge section where the road is very narrow. All cars (including mine) were headed towards whitefield as usual. Due to some errant bus driver and his acrobatic ways, I had to turn around at Carmelaram, come back the whole way of ~10-12km to outer ring road (Iblur) and go through the main ORR route to ITPL. Result = office commute time (one way) of 3.5 hours!!

Why can't the traffic police put up barricades informing commuters of the 'dead-end' if an arterial road like this is closed for some reason??
Old 28th October 2013, 18:08   #5160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
The question is, how do we reason with these guys to Not follow these nuisance? I tried a lot with this friend but failed
Reason? No one wants to listen to reason. Me, me me! I want to be ahead in the rat race, thats all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I should be putting this in the BETL thread also but it's a rant and a really cheesed off rant.

I had to go to work today and used the BETL. On the way back home in the evening, the elevated road was jammed starting from the lay bye!!! I thought there might have been an accident causing a pile up. I was wrong.
Yeah, what were they doing? I too thought it was some accident.

Most Viewed