Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 09:14   #5311
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The bio break issue is a serious concern . I was also unfortunate to experience it a couple of years back. Even contemplated on getting out of the car, putting the hazards on, and go somewhere to relive myself! Only those who have been through this can understand the pain!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 10:24   #5312
BHPian

The more we think of it, the more it pains

Our body has adapted to control such actions while being in such situations (i.e.) traffic blocks, travelling long distance in bus (inter state), deep sleep..

I feel sorry for senior citizens stuck in heavy traffic, especially the ones who are diabetic
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 12:49   #5313
Senior - BHPian

There are very few public toilets in Bangalore (I don't know about other large cities). Most of them don't have any free public parking areas nearby. You pay for parking and then you pay to use the toilets too (even at places with the board "urinals free").

I used to feel this pain frequently, since I had the habit of drinking almost a litre of water soon after waking up (apparently, that's a good habit). Now I have given up on that, and also have started leaving home early enough to avoid much traffic. I also go to the loo, even if I feel no "pressure", just before starting my drive (just before leaving home, office or mall).

Even my wife has observed, that I drive rashly when I "need to go".

I stay so far away from the city that sometimes I end driving for few hours at a stretch. I am afraid one day I am going to feature in "bad drivers" thread :-(

Last edited by rohanjf : 13th December 2013 at 12:50.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:11   #5314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnjyoti View Post
A step further, how about keeping some inflight ration as well.
you mean ... like water ?
Old 13th December 2013, 13:13   #5315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
And yes, from HSR Layout Flyover to my house on BTM Lake Road (near CCD), its about 5 kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Why dont you go inside Koramangala and get out at Madiwala, and attack Adiga's from South? You can bypass this silk board altogether.
How about going inside HSR trying via Bommanahalli? I think that may also help.
Old 13th December 2013, 15:08   #5316
BHPian

Same thing here as well!!

I drink approximately 1.5 ltrs of water from the time I wake up to when I am done with the breakfast. Atleast couple of times in a month I need to break at the Pay & Use urinal near Ashoka Pillar.

I have also experienced that if the A/C is on, the desire to urinate increases. And once you are sure that you need to take a pee-break, stopping at signals becomes a nightmare. The urge suddenly rises exponentially!!

Going back home is a major pain as I always find the traffic in the evenings more than that in the morning. I don't switch ON the A/C unless I am within 3 kms of my residence! If its too hot or polluted outside, I switch on the A/C in short bursts, in order to keep the bigger bursts at bay!!

The more you think of it, the more agonizing it becomes. There are times when you try calling home or parents to divert your attention, but the mobile n/w is unreachable. Oh my, I can't express that feeling in words.

Before leaving office, I make sure I empty the bladder in the loo that's nearest to the car parking!!

So next time if anyone sees a SUNNY parked near the Pay & Use urinals at Ashoka Pillar around 09:15, you can safely assume it's me

Last edited by Safety is Param : 13th December 2013 at 15:09.
Old 13th December 2013, 15:08   #5317

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
you mean ... like water ?
LOL...I meant like some light grub.. But guess like the thread is progressing empty water bottles may be necessary as well.
Old 13th December 2013, 15:55   #5318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
There are very few public toilets in Bangalore (I don't know about other large cities). Most of them don't have any free public parking areas nearby. You pay for parking and then you pay to use the toilets too (even at places with the board "urinals free").

I used to feel this pain frequently, since I had the habit of drinking almost a litre of water soon after waking up (apparently, that's a good habit). Now I have given up on that, and also have started leaving home early enough to avoid much traffic. I also go to the loo, even if I feel no "pressure", just before starting my drive (just before leaving home, office or mall).

Even my wife has observed, that I drive rashly when I "need to go".

I stay so far away from the city that sometimes I end driving for few hours at a stretch. I am afraid one day I am going to feature in "bad drivers" thread :-(

Just a suggestion. Get into HSR BDA Complex and relieve yourself. Not the best of toilets, but it'll do when it's urgent. And then take a break of 5 min, and then proceed home.
Old 13th December 2013, 16:42   #5319
BHPian

I stop at any coffee day and use the rest room .
Old 13th December 2013, 23:30   #5320
Team-BHP Support

Any idea what was up at SAP labs - Graphite India junction today evening?? I left office at around 5:30pm, was stuck from inorbit mall till Graphite India for close to 90 minutes, just to pass 1.5 km!! Is this how this zone has become on Fridays?? I finally ended up taking 4 hours from ITPL to Jayanagar, a new record for me.

Surprising thing was I couldn't see any physical reason for this mess, was expecting to see an accident or broken down truck but there was nothing. I was taking the conventional route after a long time, since I usually prefer the Varthur-carmelaram detour to escape the chaos everyday. After experiencing a 'jam packed' evening, I finally managed to limp home after 4 hours in traffic. Heck, some days I end up wondering if what I'm going there for is really worth all this difficulty. *Sigh*

P.S - carmelaram-Varthur route is simply superb in comparison. It may not have the best roads, but the drive is relatively stress free apart from that one railway crossing if you get stuck. Bidding goodbye to graphite India, kundalahalli and ORR route for good!

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th December 2013 at 23:35.
Old 13th December 2013, 23:53   #5321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Any idea what was up at SAP labs - Graphite India junction today evening
Not sure why there was a huge traffic, even I got stuck in the traffic that started from Inorbit mall. I had to pick my kid from day care near Vydhehi hospital and had to go towards Kundanalli gate. But once I saw the traffic getting piled up I decided to take Nallurahalli road and took a right turn near shell petrol bunk. There was not much traffic on that road and I reached home quickly.
Old 14th December 2013, 00:30   #5322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Phew. I suppose now adult diapers are going to be one of the things I absolutely need to keep in my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satnjyoti View Post
^ha ha.. no not to be kept in the car but in one's undies. Guess driving in bangalore traffic has become like long range fighter aircraft missions wherein the crew is equipped with either an adult diapers or some form of inflight relieving facility. Believe you me some of them are quite interesting, one might like to Google it. A step further, how about keeping some inflight ration as well.
Actually, in the mid-90's, when traffic in Bangkok was 100 times worse than what it is in Bangalore right now, the best selling car accessory was ... the portable pottie!
Old 14th December 2013, 00:31   #5323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about going inside HSR trying via Bommanahalli? I think that may also help.
One of my friends was staying in that lane that connects Bommanahalli to HSR. He said me that I live in HSR layout and asked me to take the road inside Bommanahalli. When I reached his place, I had lots of vernacular abuses ready for him.
I am willing to rule out this option.

Once in a month I try the Agara > Kormanagala > Madiwala > Silk Board route. Wider roads gives me a sense that I will be able to overtake some or the other vehicle and move forward faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Any idea what was up at SAP labs - Graphite India junction today evening??
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Not sure why there was a huge traffic, even I got stuck in the traffic that started from Inorbit mall.
I think its' SAP TechEd. Uncountable vehicles merging onto the main road.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 14th December 2013 at 00:37.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 12:27   #5324
BHPian

Yesterday I was in my bike around 7:30 PM, Source was HSR and Destination, ISRO junction.

For the first time I am seriously giving thought to the idea of leaving the city or even country for that matter.

The traffic is simply ruthless. On the numerous bridges that are on the way, multiple times I was cut dangerously by Cabs and Bikes, a single mistake by them and I am in trouble! All this just to move a little forward.

I think and do not get an answer, to the question why should I drive every minute at the mercy of others?
Old 14th December 2013, 20:36   #5325
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good news (at least for time being not sure how long it will last though )
The stretch on Old Madras Road from the traffic signal at RMZ Millenia junction (ulsoor lake) to the traffic signal at 100 ft Road junction
has got a fresh layer of asphalt and it was nice to drive this stretch today unlike in last 7-8 months or so when it was a slow, rough ride.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed