Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 17:40   #5401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
they caused traffic to come to a halt angering many vehicles who were behind that car

Bangalore Traffic Police have also launched a drive against shrill, multi-tone horns, read about this in today's newspaper.
I had seen similar thing at HAL junction during initial days of sun-film ban, they used to stand just next to junction (almost in front of PNB branch) and stop the vehicle. Had made we wonder why can not they stop the vehicles while at junction itself when they awaiting for signal to turn green.

I stay next to ORR near Marathahalli and the multi-tone horns of private buses are what wakes me up daily .
Old 8th January 2014, 18:05   #5402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
But then what is BTP's role to catch motorists with shrill horns then ? That too is the job of RTO ? Isn't it ?
Roles of BTP & RTO appear hazy. I think BTP got involved in horn removal after Supreme Court ruling on the same issue. BTP must have received the order.

AFAIK, 2 stroke autos are not allowed in city limits. That must be ensured by RTO.
Old 8th January 2014, 18:51   #5403
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Check this bloke out. I saw him this morning on my way to work near the Aishwarya supermarket turnoff in Koramangala. Around 0830hrs. He has no number plate at all. Even in front on the tractor cab. Dont miss the cop crossing over. Useless fellow the cop. Did not even bat an eyelid at this outrageous situation! Of course I could not contort myself to photograph the tractor as it would have been too dangerous and impractical. Does someone have to actually die by being crushed under under this tottering mobile edifice before the BTP or RTO or Uncle Sid or Uncle Yed or whoever, take notice? Bangalore - Silicon Valley, India. IT Hub. Home of some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Probably the second or third highest tax paying city in this country. Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image2943970301.jpg Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image3593350322.jpg Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image2521004112.jpg Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image1217285656.jpg Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image2942486864.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th January 2014 at 18:52.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 11:52   #5404
Team-BHP Support

Today, 7 am Nanjappa circle

I stop for red light. An Eco sport draws up left of me but a car length ahead. A worn out Qualis comes behind him and hustles him to move on and jump. He moves a couple of feet but decides not to. The Qualis is about to switch to the right but I move forward and block him

Tell him " Red light Nodi"

He replies - no traffic so you can go.

Ignore him, follow Ecosport to the Langford Hosur road junction, Qualis jumps into heavy traffic. We catch up at Adugodi where he tries to take an illegal right but no opposing traffic will have none of it

Karma!
Old 10th January 2014, 12:35   #5405
BHPian

Bangalore living up to its name of the IT Capital of India! (Picture taken from Reddit)

Old 10th January 2014, 12:47   #5406
Distinguished - BHPian

That whole metal box is balanced on top of two stones. Cant believe their stupidity in believing that the stones wont give way on hitting potholes or speed breakers (both of which are in abundance in Bangalore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dont miss the cop crossing over. Useless fellow the cop. Did not even bat an eyelid at this outrageous situation
I guess that guy not a cop, since he seems to be wearing a white T shirt. And suppose he is, then he driving without helmet cutting across traffic.

And on top of that the tractor does not have multi-tone horn, no sun-film and does not sport a non KA registration plate ( well, as per you no plates even). So I guess cops will not find any need of stopping the vehicle
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 13:23   #5407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Karma!
Tuesday the 7th, 6:30 in the morning. Bommanahalli signal on Hosur road, towards Silk Board. There's a small jam at the junction, thanks to some concrete trucks trying to take a U-turn, while the signal is green. An unusual Tempo Traveller, a Chevy Beat and I are at the stop line, and the signal turns red. Heavy honking from behind my car. A Logan taxi. I see the timer counting down from 60 secs. All the 3 lined up at the stop line aren't moving, including the TT (and that's why I mentioned it as an unusual TT). The Logan guy gets restless, gestures me to move ahead. I don't relent. More honking. In the melee, the signal turns green and we all zoom ahead, while a truck was trying to take an illegal U-turn from the other side. It blocks the Logan. I see it happening in my RVM and tell myself -'Karma!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
That whole metal box is balanced on top of two stones. Cant believe their stupidity in believing that the stones wont give way on hitting potholes or speed breakers (both of which are in abundance in Bangalore).
I'd seen the same contraption on the same day, maybe half an hour before Sankar spotted it. I thought it wouldn't last more than 10 minutes on the road, before the metal box toppled.

Quote:
I guess that guy not a cop, since he seems to be wearing a white T shirt. And suppose he is, then he driving without helmet cutting across traffic.
That's, in all probability, a cop from the Training Camp at Madiwala. You can find many such stellar examples of law enforcers - riding on the wrong side, talking on the phone and riding, riding without a helmet - you name it. Had reported a woman cop in the Public Eye for riding without a helmet AND while talking on the phone. No action appears to have been taken till date

Last edited by silversteed : 10th January 2014 at 13:27.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:28   #5408
BHPian

Came across this post on FakingNews.com.

Quote:
GENERAL GUIDELINES:

1. Lanes and zebra crossings are painted on the road to create employment opportunities for painters and to let the purchase officer make some money. Any other purpose that you may have heard of is just a rumor.

2. Traffic lights are changed frequently only to add some color to your life. Don’t stop your vehicle to stare at a red light, keep on driving, you will see another one soon enough.

3. In case of an accident, the vehicle with bigger size is at fault. So even if you are going down the wrong way on your bike, if you hit a car then the car’s driver is at fault.

4. If you see an ambassador car with lal batti in your rear-view mirror then you must give way immediately. You may be delaying a scam of national importance. However, don’t extend the same courtesy to an ambulance; if an ambulance is getting delayed due to traffic then so too is Yamraj. Nobody is going to die.

5. Little kids make the best airbags. Keep them positioned in front of you to absorb the impact during an accident.

6. Every driver must carry 100 Rs notes in their wallet. Traffic police will not be responsible if you don’t get the change after paying 500 Rs or 1000 Rs currency note to a traffic cop.

7. Drunk driving is prohibited only for college students. Mainly because they spend all their money on booze and have nothing to give to the traffic cop who pulls them over.

8. Vehicles behind you come to an immediate halt when you decide to change lanes or make a sudden turn. Don’t bother turning on the indicators, sudden use of the indicators may confuse people.

9. You must keep pressing the horn at all times. While indicators are optional, honking is mandatory at all times.

10. Roads double up as parking zones at all times. You can park your vehicle on the side of the road, middle of the road or even on the median dividing the road. A No Parking sign is a reservation sign for your vehicle; please park there the moment you spot one.
Link: After ignorant driver overtakes Vadra, Govt issues guidelines to driving in India
500ContyCruiser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 01:19   #5409
BHPian

On a narrow road without a divider in Bangalore, while coming from the opposite side - many vehicles pass way too close for comfort. Though one can slow down and gauge the gap, some believe that it is below their dignity to slow down, without realizing that even if the other vehicle has slowed down they may still be required to increase their gap.

I experience this many times at night, especially with the opposite vehicle in high beam mode.

There is no check on this & I believe that policing will hardly help the cause.

Especially I see that some heavy vehicle drivers actually follow the dim & dip ritual whereas I am yet to see any modern car driver actually do that
Old 11th January 2014, 09:41   #5410
Distinguished - BHPian

Have always wondered at the lack of lane markings and overall road 'paint' in Bangalore. Barring a few major roads, there is zero road markings!

BBMP trying to save financial ruination by saving on paint?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 11:16   #5411

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Have always wondered at the lack of lane markings
Either that or they have given up on bangalore traffic who don't seem to have an iota about what road markings are all about. I guess it's a good idea to start a fresh thread on this. Let me see if I can get something official on this.
Old 11th January 2014, 12:15   #5412

here is something I found. it is in PDF format. folks phase take some time to go through it.road markings and symbols-487618922.pdf

http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/Chapter3.pdf,
this a good for starters. folks just go through this once, may be you'll find something that you were not aware of.
Old 13th January 2014, 07:37   #5413
Senior - BHPian

Some urgent work at work came up. So had to rush to office at 3am today.
So for a change, equal balance of rant and appreciation.

Appreciation - Roads were absolutely empty. Interestingly, cabbies were driving sanely. 2 wheelers were cruising sanely on the left lane.

Rant - The pain was with truckers. 3 trucks hogging 3 lanes at equal speeds. Used the high beam to indicate my presence. No response. Blasted the horn for about 40 seconds and the one in the middle lane slowed down. Somehow managed to overtake the 3 tortoises. Happened between Agara-Sarjapur stretch.

Appreciation - Some kudos to BBMP or whoever responsible, for providing wonderful lighting on HSR Flyover, Agara Flyover.

Rant - I was shocked to see the SAP Labs - ITPL stretch. Look damn scary. No streetlights, most of the company lightings switched off and an eriee silence. Phew.

Took me flat 30 mins from BTM to Whitefield. Overall a joyful ride. Maintained a steady speed of 80kmph. Crossed SilkBoard in 5th Gear (Record Crossing ), while the Signal was Green. Yes, I was constantly eyeing for signal jumpers and was prepared.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 09:22   #5414
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is the great Bangalore Traffic Squeeze...Swalpa Adjust Maadi Swamy...

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image1490604123.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 09:31   #5415
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the Nagwara ORR junction flyover next to Manyata will be inaugurated today.

Pretty quick construction!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks