Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2014, 15:01   #5596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
What time was it when you passed the spot?
it was at 12 pm when the cabbie got pounded and fifteen minute later, this pedestrian got hit. This is an accident waiting to happen, we see people darting across not only near the signals, but also at places where vehicle speed is high.

Ironically, there was a speed gun at the same time after Hosa road, the only place where cars slow down.

Last edited by ramzsys : 25th February 2014 at 15:02.
Old 25th February 2014, 15:44   #5597
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This is a regular hotspot for such accidents. I stay at an apartment just 300 meters from the Hosa road signal. The service roads here have as much traffic as the main roads hence leading to utter confusion when a signal goes green or red. I myself have had some narrow escapes whilst driving home from the city. I had also written to the electronic city police station via a written request to help regulate the traffic here. Whilst there has been some improvement compared to what it was an year ago,this still is a risky zone to walk/drive
Old 25th February 2014, 17:15   #5598
Senior - BHPian

Twice during the last week I've been caught in jams near the railway underpass between ISRO and Total on the ORR. Both times caused by accidents. The first was a few days back, and yesterday it was at around 10 PM in the clockwise carriageway (towards Marathahalli) - a car had rear-ended a Traveller. Funny part is that Indica and TT types went beyond the Total signal, saw the jam, took a U-turn and returned to the signal on the same carriageway - causing a secondary jam and chaos at the signal itself.
Old 26th February 2014, 09:15   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Previously, I had mentioned about a new speed bump, of XL size, at the bottom of the flyover across railway track near Decathlon on Sarjapur road. You will encounter this speed bump when you are going towards the city from Sarjapur. It is not easily visible in the night because of street light effect, and also that you will be looking at it from the top.

Seems like it has claimed its first victim. A trailer truck went over it at high speed last night, and broke its front suspension or axle. Now it is stranded right in the middle of the road, with its left side in the left lane and right side in the right lane.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 11:12   #5600
BHPian

Bangaloreans!!! I am driving to Palakkad from Hyderabad and have planned for a stop over at Bangalore for the night. I will be starting at around 3pm today and plan to reach my destination at around 11pm. I am staying at a relatives place at Hosur road (somehwere after BETL toll gate) for the night. Since I will be entering Bangalore from Devanahalli side. I need some inputs.

1) Is the flyover from Devanahalli to Hebbal functional. Can I take this flyover to directly connect the ORR from Hebbal? Any specific things to watch out for.

2) Is it advisable to take the ORR from Hebbal till silk board junction and then take the BETL or is it preferable driving through the city? Considering I will be reaching at around 10 pm, I really dont mind taking the longer ORR route if it would be devoid of traffic. Also I am not at all comfortable with the one ways all through Bangalore city. Had a horrible experience last time I was here.

3) Anything to watch out for (speed cameras, risky areas on ORR etc) considering I am travelling with a 1 yr old kid.

4) Traffic and road conditions till I cross Hosur. I am planning a start at 7am tomorrow to Palakkad.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:20   #5601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Bangaloreans!!! I am driving to Palakkad from Hyderabad and have planned for a stop over at Bangalore for the night. I will be starting at around 3pm today and plan to reach my destination at around 11pm. I am staying at a relatives place at Hosur road (somehwere after BETL toll gate) for the night. Since I will be entering Bangalore from Devanahalli side. I need some inputs.

1) Is the flyover from Devanahalli to Hebbal functional. Can I take this flyover to directly connect the ORR from Hebbal? Any specific things to watch out for.

2) Is it advisable to take the ORR from Hebbal till silk board junction and then take the BETL or is it preferable driving through the city? Considering I will be reaching at around 10 pm, I really dont mind taking the longer ORR route if it would be devoid of traffic. Also I am not at all comfortable with the one ways all through Bangalore city. Had a horrible experience last time I was here.

3) Anything to watch out for (speed cameras, risky areas on ORR etc) considering I am travelling with a 1 yr old kid.

4) Traffic and road conditions till I cross Hosur. I am planning a start at 7am tomorrow to Palakkad.

Thanks in advance.
Point 1 -> I think you are referring to the partly elevated express road to the new airport. Most of it is complete and you most definitely must use it.

Point 2 -> At 11PM please drive through the city. It would be much shorter. From Hebbal to Silk Board I dont think you will encounter many one ways. One possible Route - Hebbal -> Mekhri Circle -> Golf Course -> Ali Asgar Road -> Infantry Road -> Queens Road -> Lavelle Road -> Vittal Malya Road -> Richmond Circle -> KH/Double Road -> Dairy Circle -> Hosur Road -> Silk Board

Point 3 -> Avoid ORR at late night.

Dont forsee any issues. You may be held back at the toll gate just after Attibele. Apart from that dont forsee anything you should be worried about.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 11:39   #5602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Watch out for bike stuntmen (either doing stunts on the road, or trying to take U turn across the median).

Quote:
At 10 PM, ORR should be good. Less traffic. Since you are not comfortable driving through the city, go on ORR. After driving for 7-8 hours, getting lost in the city or ending up on the wrong side of one-ways would be frustrating!

Quote:
Trucks could annoy you. Most speed breakers are removed. A few might still be there. I think even most potholes are filled now.

Quote:
Once you enter TN, there could be slow moving traffic at this time, till Hosur. But you don't really have a choice, since going via Bagalur will probably cost you more time!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 14:07   #5603
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

The truck traffic from Attibele right across Hosur will be horrendous. New flyover construction will not help either. After this the road is very good right upto Salem. Haven't travelled after that.

Tip: Slow down on Thoppur ghats.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 14:17   #5604
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Please plan to start at 5 AM, there will be no traffic on till hosur.

Last weekend I drove to Chennai, I started from HSR Layout Ext (kudlu gate) on Saturday at 5 AM & I was able to cross krishnagiri by 6:30.
Old 26th February 2014, 14:30   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangaloreans!!! I am driving to Palakkad from Hyderabad .......
Take Ring road than going via city. Its not that bad now.

Retain all your toll receipts. RTO check in Bangalore is high these days.

Bangalore - Palakkad discussed in detail here
Old 26th February 2014, 14:34   #5606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Please plan to start at 5 AM, there will be no traffic on till hosur.
That won't be a good idea if racer_ash plans to break for the night in Bangalore, after an afternoon start from Hyd.

Quote:
Bangaloreans!!! I am driving to Palakkad from Hyderabad ...
You would've already got answers to your queries. IMO, the ORR is a better option, compared to the city roads. Unless you run a few red lights (which many cabbies do), you will be slowed down considerably inside the city.

If you choose not to take the BETL (the elevated road between Silk Board and E.City), please watch out for signal jumpers on the signals along Hosur Road.

I hope you've found the other bits of info about your second leg of the trip in the Roads to Kerala thread.

Enjoy the drive
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 19:40   #5607
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Expressway is open as on 1st January. I took a short drive on 1st day. It's pretty good. It completed only till Yelahanka Railway bridge. Post that work is still going on.
Tried the new elevated road to the Airport last Sunday morning. Drove till the sign board for the Toll plaza (about 1 Km ahead). It was good to drive on a signal free stretch on this road
The Outer Ring Road bridge at Nagavara junction near Manyata Tech Park is also complete so now an almost signal-free drive from Old Madras road to the Airport. The entire section from Old Madras Road to Hebbal junction has new tarmac which is again good news.
Old 26th February 2014, 20:24   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Probably you saw something like this

It's a wonderful show that's been running successfully since Monday last. Heard different versions, with varying degrees of creativity, very typical of Indian movies
And this is still going on. Crowds have lessened though. Maybe they've had enough.
Old 26th February 2014, 21:16   #5609
Team-BHP Support

Guys, watch out for cars braking hard on the Hebbal- Yelahanka flyover, when it crosses Jakkur airfield.

Saw a nasty accident yesterday. Imagine a 4 car pileup on a straight six lane flyover! Today there was a rear ending at the same location as well.

Reason? Every Tom, Dick and Harry brakes hard when they see small aircrafts approaching the runway for landing/ take-off. Have seen people parking bikes on the walking over to the other side just to witness this.

Please be careful.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 12:08   #5610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, watch out for cars braking hard on the Hebbal- Yelahanka flyover, when it crosses Jakkur airfield.

Saw a nasty accident yesterday. Imagine a 4 car pileup on a straight six lane flyover! Today there was a rear ending at the same location as well.

Reason? Every Tom, Dick and Harry brakes hard when they see small aircrafts approaching the runway for landing/ take-off. Have seen people parking bikes on the walking over to the other side just to witness this.

Please be careful.
I happened to pass by this route around 3PM on 25.02.14, and witnessed a 3 car pile up. A tractor (water tanker) was watering the plants on the median. Looked like a Ford fiesta saw this late and braked late, a Black Fortuner rear-ended the Ford, a white zen rear-ended the Fortuner.

Most Viewed