Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2014, 15:15   #5611
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member of the Team-BHP fraternity and this is my first post on the forum. I would like to narrate an incident, where in I was the victim, couple of months back.

It was 25th November, around 10 - 10.30pm. I was returning from a relative's place and going towards HSR Layout, with my entire family in my Punto. I come down the 'Jayadeva Flyover' and slowdown to go over the speed bump. As I was crossing over, there is a loud thud and next moment I realized I was rear-ended by a Santro. By the time I came out of the car, this guys zooms off in a very dangerous manner in one of the bylanes of BTM. He didn't even have the courtesy to stop and acknowledge his mistake.

My mother & 4month old son were in the rear seat. Thanks to the Punto build quality and seat belts, none of the occupants were injured and we walked out without a scratch. Attached are a few pics of the car, post impact.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1393494293

Another incident was last Sunday, I was trying to turn right towards ORR Belandur, under the flyover coming from Sarjapur Road. As the signal turned green and cars on my side started moving ahead, cars from the opposite side (Mantri / Bakasur side) started moving into the service road going towards Agara ORR. In that commotion, the cars ahead of me stopped and so did I. So, this gentleman in XUV didn't have the patience and he just went brushing off rear right corner of my Punto. I don't understand this urgency with which people drive/ride on road.

One of the basic things that I believe people should understand is that everyone is in equal hurry to reach their destination and no one wants to settle down on the roads. So, jumping signals or hurrying across intersections will never save you more than few seconds and I don't think anyone on the road is in for a Formula 1 race that every second counts.

Sorry for a long post, but I guess this is the place where i can rant about the Bangalore Traffic situation.

Regards
Saurav
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imag0368.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imag0372.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imag0365.jpg  

Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 19:13   #5612
BHPian

There is a festival in the Shiv temple in Gottigere, Bannerghatta Road tomorrow (Friday, February 28). Due to this traffic is generally rerouted around Gottigere, with the diversions starting from the Prestige Notting Hill junction till the Foodworld junction in Gottigere. Traffic normally takes a detour through the roads behind Gottigere (including buses).

It would be advisable to avoid this stretch and take alternate routes, if possible, tomorrow.
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 19:35   #5613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
There is a festival in the Shiv temple in Gottigere, Bannerghatta Road tomorrow (Friday, February 28). Due to this traffic is generally rerouted around Gottigere, with the diversions starting from the Prestige Notting Hill junction till the Foodworld junction in Gottigere. Traffic normally takes a detour through the roads behind Gottigere (including buses).

It would be advisable to avoid this stretch and take alternate routes, if possible, tomorrow.
Yes, here is the confirmation. For people going towards NICE road, its better to go before this traffic restriction.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...trictions.html

The Hulimavu traffic police will divert vehicular movement in and around Gottigere Someshwara Swamy temple on Bannerghatta Road in view of the car festival on February 28 and March 1.

The following restrictions will come into effect from 10 am on February 28 and expire at 6 am March 1.

Vehicles from Bangalore City proceeding towards Bannerghatta will be restricted at Loyola bus stop.

The vehicles should take a left turn there and move on Doddakammanahalli- Chikkakammanahalli-Vammadevanahalli route. Vehicles could move on the Poultry Farm road, join the Bannerghatta Road and proceed further.

Vehicles from Bannerghatta National Park proceeding to Bangalore City will be restricted at Gottigere-Kembatthalli Cross on Bannerghatta Road. Vehicles should take a left there and move towards Jambusawari Dinne, join B K Circle, J P Nagar, Loyola School Road, Bannerghatta and proceed further.
Old 27th February 2014, 20:38   #5614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Hi everyone!

I
It was 25th November, around 10 - 10.30pm. I was returning from a relative's place and going towards HSR Layout, with my entire family in my Punto. I come down the 'Jayadeva Flyover' and slowdown to go over the speed bump. As I was crossing over, there is a loud thud and next moment I realized I was rear-ended by a Santro. By the time I came out of the car, this guys zooms off in a very dangerous manner in one of the bylanes of BTM. He didn't even have the courtesy to stop and acknowledge his mistake.
Soory to hear about your mishaps.

Judging by the damage, you might have the last laugh. Am sure the Santro damaged his radiator and if he drove off like he did, he must have cooked his engine
Old 27th February 2014, 23:15   #5615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Soory to hear about your mishaps.

Judging by the damage, you might have the last laugh. Am sure the Santro damaged his radiator and if he drove off like he did, he must have cooked his engine
Well, I don't really know what happened to the Santro. But, i could see small pieces of glass shattered on the spot of hit, which certainly wasn't from my car. And thanks to Vecto Motors, the repair was spot on, done to the 'T'.

Sorry for going OT.

Regards
Saurav
Old 28th February 2014, 05:41   #5616
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Religion is all very well. Some of these old temples are heritage structures too.

Dont you think that these blighters in power, should create alternative approach routes to avoid such bottlenecks?

Why should the average commuter suffer on account of someone else's religious beliefs?

For example this Maha Shivarathri festival, other 'Car' festivals and of course thinkgs like that feast of Infant Jesus and Muharram in Bangalore, all of which cause sever inconvenience to the normal tax paying bloke and traffic pileups galore!

I am all for religion, dont get me wrong.

But I hate the inconvenience caused to others in the name of religion.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 08:44   #5617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Religion is all very well. Some of these old temples are heritage structures too.

Dont you think that these blighters in power, should create alternative approach routes to avoid such bottlenecks?

Why should the average commuter suffer on account of someone else's religious beliefs?

For example this Maha Shivarathri festival, other 'Car' festivals and of course thinkgs like that feast of Infant Jesus and Muharram in Bangalore, all of which cause sever inconvenience to the normal tax paying bloke and traffic pileups galore!

Couldn't agree more. We, as Indians, have the habit and accept anything in the name of religion - be it our daily lives or politics or even simple things like road conditions.

People don't even think before erecting tents right on the road, obstruct normal flow of traffic and create a mess. Be it any festival. And not just festival, in certain cases even private functions people block lanes within community areas.

If you go up north, you would find multiple 'Hanuman Mandirs' which are constructed, in certain cases, right in the middle of the road. Same applies to a major part of the country.

This has more to do with our mindset towards fellow being. Even leaving out the illiterate, not so-well informed blokes, even educated folks at time argue for these a illegal road structures.

There are better ways to manage all such events and i agree they come at a cost. But don't these structures earn massive donations. Instead of squandering these donations on erecting a new structure or distributing freebies, it would make better sense if the festivities can be planned & executed better. For eg: rent out a larger hall / auditorium for a large crowd with parking facilities. If even a larger crowd is anticipated, hire a ground. No one stops from doing that.

Atleast this would ensure a hassle-free life & commute for fellow road-users and a better (if not grandeur) festival.
Old 28th February 2014, 08:49   #5618
Senior - BHPian

There is a Tavera stranded on the service road in front of Samsung at Doddanekkundi. It's front left suspension is broken, so the cabbie supported it with the jack. If it is not towed in the next half an hour, expect some traffic jam at that signal (Samsung/Soul Space Arena). The Tavera blocks the entry to the service road to go towards EMC2 from the ring road. Of course, entry is banned between 8 AM to 11 AM and 5 PM to 8 PM, but who cares?

And there is a huge mound of sand in the right lane on the top of the flyover in front of Decathlon on Sarjapur road. Since the flyover is uneven, my best guess is that an overspeeding sand truck shook too much and dropped the sand. Since trucks are not allowed in the left lane in Bangalore because of an unwritten traffic rule, the sand is in the middle of right lane.

Good luck to those cars who have low ground clearance, because I wasn't confident to drive across the mound in my Palio that has 170 mm ground clearance. I had to stop, wait for the left lane to clear and move to left lane.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:01   #5619
BHPian

Thanks to Shivratri, and a temple having a lot of celebrations, I saw traffic police regulating traffic for the first time in HSR Layout opposite Nandini.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:32   #5620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you on this. But where are the alternate routes in bangalore for the commuters to use. As such the roads are choked to the capacity. If we divert the existing traffic to an alternate road, the end result is virtual pandemonium.

I feel it is better to put up with the "Car" festivals rather than divert to another road and suffer.
May be some thinking on the part of the festival procession organizers can help in reducing traffic jam to some extent. Let us hope better sense prevails in them.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:34   #5621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Thanks to Shivratri, and a temple having a lot of celebrations, I saw traffic police regulating traffic for the first time in HSR Layout opposite Nandini.
Tell me about it! Yesterday was the first time, I faced a 'jam' in HSR Layout

The place has started becoming crowded.
Old 28th February 2014, 10:55   #5622
BHPian

Couldnt Agree more with Shankar and Thad on the religous festivities.

I was a victim of the "post" celebration activities.

Took 40 mins from the Airport Fence on Murugeshpalaya to EGL campus today morning, which otherwise takes a max of 5-10 mins, courtesy, shivaratri celebrations in Challaghatta.

The local folks had put up an arch at the Challaghatta entry road and adding to the woes were our educated folks occuping all the lanes of the road.

I had a brush with an Autorickshaw due to this. There were two-wheelers coming dangeoursly close to my swift on both sides and in a flash of a moment, when I was just trying to center myself, the auto in front of me braked suddenly, making me to floor the brake. But unfortunately, my front number plate (metal) brushed the Auto's rear bumper. The autowallah came out for a fight, but before I could get out of my car, the locals who were trying to control the traffic asked him to move ahead. It was my luck, or otherwise would have been a bad start to my day today. Upon reaching office, saw the front bumper slightly misaligned.

Honestly feel, the money invested in making that arch and all those decorations, could have been used to feed the needy. No God in the world demands these.
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:35   #5623
Senior - BHPian

As we discuss the effect of religious celebrations on traffic, here is an update from Bangalore Traffic Police:
"Sampige Road (Malleshwaram) will be closed from Mill corner after 12 noon today due to Kadumalleswara Temple procession. Take alternate roads."

Old 28th February 2014, 13:45   #5624
BHPian

Quote:
Religion is all very well...Dont you think that these blighters in power, should create alternative approach routes to avoid such bottlenecks?

Why should the average commuter suffer on account of someone else's religious beliefs?For example...all of which cause sever inconvenience to the normal tax paying bloke and traffic pileups galore!

I am all for religion...But I hate the inconvenience caused to others in the name of religion.
As the famous lines in a movie -

"These are not God Loving people, but God Fearing people"

Everything in our country is pardoned if it's in the name of God. There are many examples of important development projects pending just because there is a temple / mosque in the way.

Let's leave religion aside for a while; even relocating Baba Saheb Ambedkar's statue for the metro work had so many hiccups! And it was just a relocation, not a demolition!!

The place where I stay, there is a short-cut that goes to Kathriguppe main road and Big Bazar. The road is made of concrete, however, for reasons unknown to me, there is a large lump bang in the middle of the road. This lump is treated as a Shivaling and pooja is done on a daily basis. Just because it is in the middle of the road, 4-wheelers are not allowed to ply on that road, resulting in a 1.5 km detour!

And that no one dares to question this arrangement is something I dont need to mention.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 14:54   #5625
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you find out the contact details of someone if you have their Vehicle details? A friend of mine was manhandled @ Kundanahalli signal on Wednesday when a 2 wheeler crashed into her car. The rider got down, listened to her, accepted to pay for damages,slapped her and then drove away while people were just looking on
Wonder where Bangalore is headed!!!

Last edited by procrj : 28th February 2014 at 14:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks