Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 10:29   #5836
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The jam in Old Airport road is due to festivities in the temple right next to the bus stand. Luckily enough, since I was coming in from the direction of Koramangala and going towards the old airport, I did not get stuck.

However, I did see traffic pile-up in the opposite direction.

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 13:06   #5837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
.......Tell me, how do you guys drive on ORR? I get so confused. There are no lane marks anywhere. Tractors, bikes and buses are in all lanes. I realised that middle lane is safest, since left lane is for bus stops and parking, while right lane is for slow moving traffic. But many times I drifted left or right as I had no line to guide me.
Traffic lanes and markings? What are these things? Some new shiny gadgets we don't know about yet? Care to share a review with pics? Be interested to know how that stuff works

Kidding aside, ORR works on the principle 'take whatever space you can get as fast as you can, or someone else will'. There's a pic a few posts back with a BMTC bus nearly side-swiping a car. Not to scare anyone but that doesn't always happen only in crawling traffic on ORR.

I keep trying to drive sanely on this stretch, but it's a nightmare holding an (obviously unmarked) lane more than a few hundred meters on the best of days.
Old 10th April 2014, 13:52   #5838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I keep trying to drive sanely on this stretch, but it's a nightmare holding an (obviously unmarked) lane more than a few hundred meters on the best of days.
To the extent possible, I avoid the ORR from Suncity entrance to Innovative. To paraphrase an old advertisement, jo apni gaadi se karein pyar, woh ORR pe kaise karein aitbaar?

Last Saturday at around 9 PM I took the right turn from Sarjapur Road (signal was green) and was proceeding towards Bellandur, when a Honda City with headlamps in high beam suddenly appeared in front of me. Hard braking, swerving, swearing. Seems like the guy had come out of the service lane from the Softzone side and wanted to take the ORR towards Silk Board.
Old 10th April 2014, 14:37   #5839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
To the extent possible, I avoid the ORR from Suncity entrance to Innovative. To paraphrase an old advertisement, jo apni gaadi se karein pyar, woh ORR pe kaise karein aitbaar?
Totally agree. It is so difficult to maintain a lane even if you want to. It is so bad that I consistently prefer my bike over car. With the bike it is atleast easier to swerve around when you get pushed from all sides.
Old 10th April 2014, 17:24   #5840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To the extent possible, I avoid the ORR from Suncity entrance to Innovative.
I've started avoiding it for my commute too. I try to take the Lalbagh Road - Residency Road - HAL route instead to get to Doddanekundi (I live in South Bangalore). Has a couple of bottlenecks, but the traffic moves much smoother and the narrow roads have less scope of wannabe racer antics.
Quote:
....the right turn from Sarjapur Road (signal was green) and was proceeding towards Bellandur, when a Honda City with headlamps in high beam suddenly appeared in front of me. Hard braking, swerving, swearing. Seems like the guy had come out of the service lane from the Softzone side and wanted to take the ORR towards Silk Board.
That place is a disaster waiting to happen. There are lots of people trying to join the road from Sarjapur side too who cut across to the service lane to the extreme left without a second look. 'Hard Braking, swerving, swearing' is a daily pastime at this junction. The wrong side antics you mention is very common during early and late hours of the day, because people are too lazy to take a U-turn barely a half kilometer towards Bellandur and circle back, when the friendly traffic cop is absent. They'd rather risk life & limb instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Totally agree. It is so difficult to maintain a lane even if you want to. It is so bad that I consistently prefer my bike over car. With the bike it is atleast easier to swerve around when you get pushed from all sides.
It can get really scary on a bike sometimes, esp. around the BMTC Volvos who can easily side-swipe you off a flyover and wouldn't even notice what they did.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th April 2014 at 17:28.
Old 11th April 2014, 06:48   #5841
Team-BHP Support

I hope today does not turn out to be yet another day of jams on ORR. The Horamavu underpass closed due to tarring all the way up to Hennur road. Dont know when they would open it back.
Old 11th April 2014, 17:55   #5842
Senior - BHPian

Got this alert a few minutes back. Truck breakdown at bellandur junction towards agara on ORR. Try and avoid if possible. Not sure how bad the traffic is.
Old 11th April 2014, 18:10   #5843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Got this alert a few minutes back. Truck breakdown at bellandur junction towards agara on ORR. Try and avoid if possible. Not sure how bad the traffic is.
Oh its bad for sure .
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imag1598.jpg  

Old 12th April 2014, 08:50   #5844
BHPian

Took an hour yesterday evening to get out of ecospace basement car park. So much for our brilliant policy makers allowing vintage HCVs in peak hour traffic.
Old 13th April 2014, 10:21   #5845
Senior - BHPian

So this sort of thing has now arrived inside city limits, on arterial roads:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5906005.ece
Old 13th April 2014, 10:55   #5846
BHPian

Quote:
So this sort of thing has now arrived inside city limits, on arterial roads:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5906005.ece
Nothing new, its been happening all around Bangalore.
2.30 am and getting into an argument with bikers, well what more can you ask for? Good to know he is safe.
Old 13th April 2014, 22:06   #5847
BHPian

My office is 8 KM from home. It takes 45 minutes minimally. Brookefields to ITPL. The chaos is mainly due to unruly drivers who don't care about which side of the road they drive in or of any other traffic rule.

I tried the Volvo bus, but that is worse with us being under the mercy of the driver and the conductor. The driver would not turn on the A/C one day. Maybe he was feeling cold, but we had a bus full of sweaty, stinking people by the time we got to ITPL. If its the A/C one day, its the jerky driving the other. That no way to get to office in the morning.

On the whole, its complete insensitivity from the authorities and public transportation employees. Not to mention the police, of whom I would not even bother.

I am seriously thinking of moving out of Bangalore. As a first step, I have started working from home most of the time.

Maybe one car less on the road will help
Old 13th April 2014, 22:49   #5848
BHPian

Even I am planning to move out of Bangalore. My office commute is 54 Kms up and down. Nowadays I am thinking of using my bike for office commute due to the traffic infested roads I pass through. But off late thinking seriously of moving out of Bangalore.
Old 14th April 2014, 13:32   #5849
BHPian

Quote:
When Sonik John swung on to the road near Chudasandra Circle, off Electronics City, he had little control over his Ford Figo. The car zigzagged, mowing down a rider before ramming a police barricade and injuring a constable on duty, late Wednesday night.

The interior decorator from Kerala was allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol. As he tried to speed away from the spot in Kasuvinahalli, southeast Bangalore, police and the public chased the car and nabbed John.

Srinivas Murthy, 40, an LIC agent, was rushed to Manipal Hospital, but died early on Thursday. Murthy, a resident of Garvebhavipalya, off Hosur Road, is survived by his wife and two school going daughters.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/33576315.cms
I have no words. Deeply saddened for the family of Mr. Murthy.
Old 15th April 2014, 07:38   #5850
BHPian

Huge Traffic Jam early morning at 06:30 AM between Udupi Garden and Silk Board.

Very slow moving traffic till the petrol bunk before Silk Board. There was lot of water on the road, I believe a sewage pipe or water pipe has broken down causing the jam.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks