Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 18:08   #6061
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Another irritating phenomenon I see of late is lot of people talking over the phone while driving. It is understandable (not acceptable) that cab drivers do this, as there seems to be no way to reign them in, but to see people in the private cars, all sizes do this regularly is very concerning. I mean, how important can that one call be? Can't they stop by the road side, or get a blue tooth/headset and take that damn call if needed. But talking with the handset and then trying to drive is just pathetic.
Old 6th June 2014, 18:15   #6062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Another irritating phenomenon I see of late is lot of people talking over the phone while driving ...
I think these guys want to "utilize" their commute time to catch up with friends and family or even take care of office work. What they fail to understand is that driving is a "full-time" job and cannot be attention-multiplexed with anything else. Too bad this is not taught by (most) driving schools.
Old 6th June 2014, 18:27   #6063
Team-BHP Support

Talking on the phone is a thing of the past. Nowadays it's whatsapping while driving. You see everyone with whatsapp screen when waiting at a red light.
Old 6th June 2014, 19:06   #6064
BHPian

While I totally agree with talking or whatsapp'ing mess while driving in our country, here in Germany, even being so sophisticated with the driving sense, It's very common to talk on phone while driving. A ratio of 2:5 to be least, based on what I have seen so far.
Wonder how can this be allowed where you have otherwise such strict rules and everyone follows them judiciously, and on top of it they have no accidents/fatalities.

So, its not an India thing guys... This is a mess everywhere.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 6th June 2014 at 19:12.
Old 6th June 2014, 19:14   #6065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
If the violator (breaking signal, loud horn, rashly driven) is a local son of the soil, then the police will reject such claims. . The thugs have their say and way, but innocent tax payers are always at the receiving end.
There's a policewoman who can be seen on an Activa in Madiwala area. My dash cam has snapped her many times talking on the phone, riding without a helmet, riding on the wrong side, parking her vehicle right under a No-parking sign etc. I never knew she was a cop until I saw her in uniform one day, again, riding without the helmet. *All* violations I'd raised were thrown out, citing such reasons.

I don't post anything these days. If the enforcers are least bothered about the situation, why should I take the pain!
Old 6th June 2014, 20:58   #6066
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
... I never knew she was a cop until I saw her in uniform one day, again, riding without the helmet. *All* violations I'd raised were thrown out, citing such reasons.

I don't post anything these days. If the enforcers are least bothered about the situation, why should I take the pain!
What reasons were cited for not taking action on your complaints ?
Asking since I read in today's paper that a cop in Mysore was suspended since he has been caught multiple times riding 2 wheeler without helmet. Maybe there's still some hope
Old 6th June 2014, 21:16   #6067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What reasons were cited for not taking action on your complaints ?
"Picture not clear", "violation not clear", "no violation", and a few others.

Quote:
Asking since I read in today's paper that a cop in Mysore was suspended since he has been caught multiple times riding 2 wheeler without helmet. Maybe there's still some hope
Good to hear that. And hope the BTP folks grow some sense
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 09:34   #6068
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting episode from last evening.
We had been to the Dominos outlet on 100 feet Road, Indiranagar. After coming out, started off straight towards Old Madras road as I'd parked right in front of Dominos. Barely 50m after the car started moving I saw a guy in a khakhi trouser and jacket trying to flag me down half-heartedly, not assertive/aggressive, definitely not the usual cop style!
I pulled over to the left, still thinking maybe headlights weren't switched on/working or my daughter who was sitting in front wasn't wearing seat belt - quick check and these were negative. As soon as I stopped, I rolled the glass down and the chap comes near the car and says "Saar, smoke maadi" and I was like "What the hell do you mean?????". I spoke to him in Kannada and then he explains he is checking for drunken driving and he wanted to check my breath (but no breathalyser). Once he was convinced, he waved us to go and I just couldn't help telling him not to confuse people asking them to smoke!
As I moved a little ahead I could see an inspector busy with 2 wheelers he had caught. Later, I realised that the guy who'd stopped us wasn't even a constable - he was one of the Karnataka Land Army/other recruits they now have to help control traffic in Bangalore at various places.

Last edited by NPV : 8th June 2014 at 09:37.
Old 8th June 2014, 11:12   #6069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
"Picture not clear", "violation not clear", "no violation", and a few others.
Send across your dashcam pictures to BTP or post it on their facebook page with all relevant details. Action will be taken on the erring police woman.
Old 8th June 2014, 12:08   #6070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
An interesting episode from last evening.
We had been to the Dominos outlet on 100 feet Road, Indiranagar.....
Don't stop when I see them. Its none of their business to stop traffic apart from regulating traffic at signals. Its the inspectors who use their help to earn a little extra.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:41   #6071
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Last evening (08.06.2014), i drove from my home in bommanahalli to forum value mall whitefield. The return journey was the best . Took 1/2 hr to reach my home. Surprisingly there was virtually no traffic on ORR and Bommanahalli jn.
Wish everyday was like yesterday.
Old 9th June 2014, 11:36   #6072
BHPian

As they say "Every day is not Sunday" ☺
Old 9th June 2014, 12:05   #6073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post
As they say "Every day is not Sunday"
The full proverb is, "Everyday is not Sunday, unless you are waiting at Kundalahalli Gate signal". :-)
Old 9th June 2014, 12:30   #6074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Last evening (08.06.2014), i drove from my home in bommanahalli to forum value mall whitefield. The return journey was the best . Took 1/2 hr to reach my home. Surprisingly there was virtually no traffic on ORR and Bommanahalli jn.
I drove along the same route last evening too - passed Bommanahalli around 4:15 or so, and was at Varthur Kodi junction at 5pm. Bommanahalli signal was fine, but I made the mistake of not taking the Silk Board flyover & taking a U-turn in front of Madiwala police station like I usually do - ended up waiting at the signal under the flyover for a good 10 minutes to turn onto ORR. And Kundanahalli signal was "relatively" free.

Been a while since I drove on the ORR, and I found the signages grossly inadequate for the start of flyovers, service roads, humps etc. And the expansion joints on most of the flyovers have started becoming like the ones on the Silk Board flyover - bone-jarring if you go over them at anything above 30kmph or so
Old 9th June 2014, 12:53   #6075
Senior - BHPian

Nothing can beat this.

An Auto Driver parks his auto bang in the middle of the road in Malleswaram.
Only in Nama Bengaluru do Auto drivers have this kind of power.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-auto.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks