Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 12:12   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
People are going to break signals due to fear of being rammed into.
Absolutely correct! After some introspection of the incident, I conlcuded that half the people jumped the signal due to fear of being mowed by some SUV/ Bus, or the fear of having to listen to crap from other people.
Next time I face a situation like this, i'm going to pull over to the shoulder way behind the junction and move only after the light is green. Atleast I should be safe from dudes who have zilch regard for life.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:21   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Absolutely correct! After some introspection of the incident, I conlcuded that half the people jumped the signal due to fear of being mowed by some SUV/ Bus, or the fear of having to listen to crap from other people.
Next time I face a situation like this, i'm going to pull over to the shoulder way behind the junction and move only after the light is green. Atleast I should be safe from dudes who have zilch regard for life.
Slightly OT but relevant.

I was driving down ECR and some SETC bus was doing high speeds. I overtook it with ease but it was still following me at high speeds. Then the cops catch me for overspeeding. I was doing 75 when the speed limit apparently is 60.

The 1st Qn I asked the cops was, if they ever stop overspeeding SETC. He put forth a confident YES. Me and my friend laughed at their face and showed him the finger for his lies He dint have much to add, given their complete incompetence.

Many a times, when I approach a signal, I keep on looking at OVRMs to see if there are any idiot Indicab guys speeding. I have been lucky not to be rear-ended yet.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:51   #618
BHPian

Quote:
I think slowing down way before a signal, is an invitation for cops to suspect you are missing papers or license or have some illegal mod in your car. I remember in delhi people slowing down before a signal, to hang the seatbelt off their shoulder to make it look legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
The 1st Qn I asked the cops was, if they ever stop overspeeding SETC. He put forth a confident YES. Me and my friend laughed at their face and showed him the finger for his lies He dint have much to add, given their complete incompetence.
now thats gutsy! I would never show a finger to a cop or for that matter anyone on the road (even errant drivers).Have shown the finger only once or twice to some other drivers on the road, that too cause they side scraped me
Old 27th April 2009, 12:59   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think slowing down way before a signal, is an invitation for cops to suspect you are missing papers or license or have some illegal mod in your car.
Most of the times signal jumps are under control at the sight of khaki trousers or gober colored side folded cowboy hats. During my ordeal there was none @ 7am. You are correct, if there are cops I need not worry too much. But if there aren't any then I might pull to the shoulder rather being pasted to the road Jim Carey's 'Mask' style.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:54   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving down ECR and some SETC bus was doing high speeds. I overtook it with ease but it was still following me at high speeds. Then the cops catch me for overspeeding. I was doing 75 when the speed limit apparently is 60.

So, did you pay the fine?
If not, then dude that was NOT cool. Do you expect cops to first catch everyone else who is speeding before you be fined?
Old 27th April 2009, 13:57   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, did you pay the fine?
If not, then dude that was NOT cool. Do you expect cops to first catch everyone else who is speeding before you be fined?
Of course I paid the fine. Along with the receipt.

It was a month-end excuse. Plus my intention was not to ask them to catch everyone else. But if they really bother to stop the so-called-bossy State and City buses who pay no heed to any rules nor do they have any road sense/common sense. (I shrug off most of the times, saying that the reason he's driving a bus because he's destined to). The point I was trying to put forward was that if I go slow, there is a high prob that I'll be rammed into.

Plus it was not an outright-showing-the-finger like a Stone Cold Steve Austin. I hope you get the drift
Old 27th April 2009, 14:13   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course I paid the fine. Along with the receipt.

It was a month-end excuse. Plus my intention was not to ask them to catch everyone else. But if they really bother to stop the so-called-bossy State and City buses who pay no heed to any rules nor do they have any road sense/common sense. (I shrug off most of the times, saying that the reason he's driving a bus because he's destined to). The point I was trying to put forward was that if I go slow, there is a high prob that I'll be rammed into.

Plus it was not an outright-showing-the-finger like a Stone Cold Steve Austin. I hope you get the drift
Hats off to you then, mate!

Sadly, the day traffic police is able to nab these State and City buses, and cabs and autos will remain a distant dream. Mostly because their hands are tied against these culprits with their unions and political clout. It takes rare and almost extinct character like Kiran Bedi to stand up and tow away a Prime Minister's car for wrong parking.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:46   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Sadly, the day traffic police is able to nab these State and City buses, and cabs and autos will remain a distant dream. Mostly because their hands are tied against these culprits with their unions and political clout. It takes rare and almost extinct character like Kiran Bedi to stand up and tow away a Prime Minister's car for wrong parking.
Would like to refer the followers of this thread to my post at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1251193
Old 28th April 2009, 15:14   #624
BHPian

Few days back one of my friends witnessed a similar incident in BTM Layout.
A Maruthi car stopped at the red signal. But an Indica cab trying to jump the signal hit him from behind !!
Old 28th April 2009, 15:21   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
A Maruthi car stopped at the red signal. But an Indica cab trying to jump the signal hit him from behind !!
I think 'Discretion is the better part of valour' is what applies here.
One might feel the urge to join the gang of jumpers to save our lives/cars.
Or implement this wierd algorithm:
Engage handbrake -> put the blinkers on -> lock using remote keys -> get out till it turn green.
When it does -> remote unlock -> put off blinkers -> disengage handbrake -> shift to 1st -> move on.
Unreal, but..
Old 28th April 2009, 16:14   #626
BHPian

Quote:
I think 'Discretion is the better part of valour' is what applies here.
One might feel the urge to join the gang of jumpers to save our lives/cars.
Or implement this wierd algorithm:
Engage handbrake -> put the blinkers on -> lock using remote keys -> get out till it turn green.
When it does -> remote unlock -> put off blinkers -> disengage handbrake -> shift to 1st -> move on.
Unreal, but..
you are kidding right, i am not going to do this at every signal on an empty sunday morning I'd rather follow the rules at every signal while sitting in my car waiting to be rammed from behind there is a fine line between OCD and laziness and I am on it, hehe !!
Old 28th April 2009, 16:22   #627
Senior - BHPian

Hehe. prince, by doing that, you also run the risk of getting mowed under a speeding car!!
Old 28th April 2009, 17:04   #628
BANNED

Ah another good thing about driving a Bolero in Bangalore.

When i brake the guy behind me BRAKES. Period.

From an Alto guy getting a cracked radiator and a broken bumper (i have a bend step to show) to a motorcycle rider having his face buried(cut lips and a shattered ego nothing more) into my spare wheel on the tailgate i have enjoyed the look of fear on the face of the guy braking behind me.

PS: Even Bus Drivers and Tankers think twice. But there are exceptions in this lot so i am a bit careful before braking infront of these guys.

Last edited by Spitfire : 28th April 2009 at 17:05.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:10   #629
BHPian

I am lucky enough to live slightly away from the busy areas and work in an even more far away area

My commute of 13 kms takes me 20 min on my bike, and 25 by car. I rarely come into the city in my car, and whenever I do, I find myself floundering with everyone jostling for space.
Old 28th April 2009, 18:32   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you are kidding right, i am not going to do this at every signal on an empty sunday morning I'd rather follow the rules at every signal while sitting in my car waiting to be rammed from behind there is a fine line between OCD and laziness and I am on it, hehe !!
Of course i'm kidding! You didn't take it seriously did you?!!

Most Viewed