Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 17:14   #6391
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I agree, I was actually surprised that before that intersection not many were leaving the line and building up another line, which in itself was a good thing.

90 mins for 6.5kms, boy guess I was lucky. I took about 15 minutes to clear that stretch and about 20 mins additional for the total of 12 kms, not bad eh?
Slightly beg to disagree here.

Today morning I was also caught up in the same mess. I didnt want to form another lane and was sticking on to left lane of the tarred road, coming from Murugeshpalya. I initially saw that there was a second lane formed in the shoulder already and two-wheelers formed another lane to my right.

By the time I reached the junction where you take a right to enter the challaghatta and EGL, there two lanes of vehicles to my left and one lane of autorickshaw and two wheelers on to my right.

There was another lane formed by vehicles coming from CABS (Center for Air Borne Systems) wanting to take a left to enter EGL.
ON top of it there were a line of vehicles waiting to take a right turn towards CABS.

Had a tough time to squeeze my vehicle through this without touching anyone. BTW, I was at this place around 10:10 AM. What was your timings ?
Old 5th August 2014, 17:17   #6392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Slightly beg to disagree here.

By the time I reached the junction where you take a right to enter the challaghatta and EGL, there two lanes of vehicles to my left and one lane of autorickshaw and two wheelers on to my right.

There was another lane formed by vehicles coming from CABS (Center for Air Borne Systems) wanting to take a left to enter EGL.
ON top of it there were a line of vehicles waiting to take a right turn towards CABS.

I was on this road mate

Had a tough time to squeeze my vehicle through this without touching anyone. BTW, I was at this place around 10:10 AM. What was your timings ?
I was there an hour after you left. Around 11:15 or so.
Old 5th August 2014, 17:33   #6393
BHPian

Quote:
Good for you. I think the mess was over by that time. Looks like I entered the pot when it was boiling

Took me an hour and half to cover a distance of 15 kms from Hoodi to EGL today morning.
The first one in the right turn before graphite India signal and the second one in the right turn before EGL.
In short, the first couple of kms and last one km took an hour and the rest of the 12 kms in half an hour. Have to take pride in that.
Old 5th August 2014, 17:47   #6394
Senior - BHPian

Had a heart in the mouth moment last night. Left office just after 10 pm from Ecospace towards KR Puram, the signal after Intel was red and I saw one car waiting patiently while others were flying by. Just as I was about to slow down to a stop, I glanced at the RVM as you never know if someone is too close. I just saw a pair of lights coming towards me at a distance and closing fast. He must have been at atleast 80-90 kmph if not more, took a split second decision to jump the light (self preservation) and stay in the left most lane, a few of seconds later a Mercedes bus from Orange travels whizzed past. I dont think he even thought of braking, followed him till Marathalli and the way he was driving was crazy. I wouldnt even dream of doing that in my Ninja, leave alone the car. Then the guy coolly stops just after the Marthalli flyover, parallel to another Orange travels bus blocking most of the road and causing a small jam.

I just hope no one gets hurt one of these days, not that anything will happen to these guys :(
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 18:06   #6395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
BTW, I was at this place around 10:10 AM. What was your timings ?
Quote:
I started from home at Yemalur around 9:45 AM. Reached office near Diamond District at 11:15 AM. For me this pileup started a few hundred metres after CABS towards Challaghata; All of us crawled through the next km or so in a single file which took the best part of an hour. I think most drivers realized that breaking that file (given the width of that road) was not in their best interests. But once the junction was visible all self-control was lost, I suddenly found another lane of Indicas to my left off the road and a third lane to my right, on the opposite lane. Vehicles coming the other way had to off-road this section. I think I lost about 45 minutes in this melee; the rest of the time I lost crawling through the regularly scheduled traffic jam from NAL till Manipal Hospital on Old Airport Road.
Old 5th August 2014, 18:16   #6396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
. I think most drivers realized that breaking that file (given the width of that road) was not in their best interests. But once the junction was visible all self-control was lost, I suddenly found another lane of Indicas to my left off the road and a third lane to my right, on the opposite lane.
I think that if everyone sticks to their lane bottle necks clear themselves, what causes these bottlenecks in the first place is drivers who cant stick to their lane.

I do get a little cheeky and i will never let anyone who has broken the lane to get back in no matter what! Am i an idiot for staying in the lane when you can come zooming from the back making 20 other odd cars feel like fools for waiting and you expect me to give you right of way?

Its the guys who break the lanes make even the patient ones itch to get onto the wrong side! and the cycle continues!
KevinP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 18:36   #6397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
a few of seconds later a Mercedes bus from Orange travels whizzed past. I dont think he even thought of braking, followed him till Marathalli and the way he was driving was crazy. I wouldnt even dream of doing that in my Ninja, leave alone the car. Then the guy coolly stops just after the Marthalli flyover, parallel to another Orange travels bus blocking most of the road and causing a small jam.

I just hope no one gets hurt one of these days, not that anything will happen to these guys :(
Wish you had stopped at Marthahalli & given that Orange bus guy a mouthful! Atleast, next time he would think 10 times before indulging in such reckless driving.
Do you remember the Reg no? Such reckless driving need to be reported at BTP FB page.
Old 5th August 2014, 21:48   #6398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Wish you had stopped at Marthahalli & given that Orange bus guy a mouthful! Atleast, next time he would think 10 times before indulging in such reckless driving.
Do you remember the Reg no? Such reckless driving need to be reported at BTP FB page.
Even if you scold these moronic bus drivers, nothing is going to change. They are of the mentality that they are driving a big vehicle that must be given way whatsoever. This attitude must change. Or else we should pray to god hoping that such morons do not rear end our vehicle.
Old 6th August 2014, 16:09   #6399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I wanted to but they had already blocked most of the road, plus I have tried to give them a mouthful earlier. They dont even acknowledge if they are doing anything wrong . WIll keep an eye for these guys and note the number the next time.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 16:19   #6400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post

I do get a little cheeky and i will never let anyone who has broken the lane to get back in no matter what! Am i an idiot for staying in the lane when you can come zooming from the back making 20 other odd cars feel like fools for waiting and you expect me to give you right of way?

Its the guys who break the lanes make even the patient ones itch to get onto the wrong side! and the cycle continues!
Quite agree with you on both counts. The same thing happens near the Nagawara flyover, for people waiting to take the U-Turn below the flyover to come to Manyata. There is a lane formed towards the right to take the service road, but more often than not, you will find all sorts of people, including the so called educated ones with fat purses trying to squeeze in from the left, I block them as much as possible and the look on their face is priceless.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:50   #6401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Had a heart in the mouth moment last night.
I just saw a pair of lights coming towards me at a distance and closing fast. He must have been at atleast 80-90 kmph if not more, took a split second decision to jump the light (self preservation) and stay in the left most lane, a few of seconds later a Mercedes bus from Orange travels whizzed past.
This one is scary. I for never as a rule never give in to such guys. If it is 'Red' I will stop. I might weave and give him the way; but jump the light - God knows, what if someone is coming from the other side? and pedestrians?
I have seen horror stories of people jumping red light only to kill or maim someone - I cannot live with myself. As for the bus; just hope and pray then he does no harm. Maybe give him the sign - arms stretched out
Old 7th August 2014, 16:20   #6402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This one is scary. I for never as a rule never give in to such guys. If it is 'Red' I will stop. I might weave and give him the way; but jump the light - God knows, what if someone is coming from the other side? and pedestrians?
I have seen horror stories of people jumping red light only to kill or maim someone - I cannot live with myself. As for the bus; just hope and pray then he does no harm. Maybe give him the sign - arms stretched out
Yeah man, i have the same rule but this one was a split second decision as it was quite late and i couldnt see anyone else around/stopping. In hindsight a right one else he would have probably dragged me across the light.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:29   #6403
BHPian

Got this info in a group:
Quote:
The sky walks - 8 or 12 have been sanctioned in public private partnership between ibblur and marthahalli at a cost of 3 cr per skywalk. ORRCA asked more than 100 companies in the area to come forward to fund 2 to start with but no company has come forward for it yet.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:47   #6404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Got this info in a group:
Great initiative and really required. Its unnerving to watch people running across speeding traffic. But just wondering, does it really take 3 CR for a Skywalk? Not questioning anyone's estimates but just curious.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:48   #6405
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone travelling daily from Mehkri circle side to Hebbal side noticed some construction work happening opposite the Fiat showroom, just beside the landing of the skywalk? The compound wall of the training command campus has been demolished and the wall is being rebuilt a few metres inside. Some land seems to have been acquired there. I am hoping BBMP is building a bus bay to shift the Mehkri circle bus stop to this location. If they are doing this, its a very welcome step and would be a huge relief for people moving crossing this stretch during peak hours
Anyone has any further information on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks