Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 22:45   #631
BHPian

Something different ...

Today while coming from office @ 9.30 Pm I was driving @ the speed of around 40-45 Kmph in Brookefield area near Cosmos mall ..... I was going on the right side of the road and the left side was empty. A taxi driver (indica) came from behind and flashed light but did not overtake from the left. I obliged and went to the left side and let him go with a smile and thumbs up sign. Every time I see cabs breaking rules left right and center but this guy was different .. I wanted to post the number but it was in Kannada and I could not read it..

It really made me smile ...
Old 18th May 2009, 09:20   #632
Team-BHP Support

Everyone has been praising Bangalore's Vayu Vajra Volvo service so far. Let me share some not so nice experiences.

The BIAL bus service although a blessing to passengers is not efficient at all. There are 3 routes which pass by my house i.e. indian express circle. Everytime I have to wait for atleast 20-30mins for the bus to leave. Irrespective of time, the conductors and drivers wait till the bus is full. Noone follows timing. They tell me the earliest bus is BIAL-7 and I go sit inside. After 15mins I see that BIAL-5 is ready to leave whereas I'm still waiting for my bus. My dad tried using it twice but got irritated with the long wait of half and hour after a long flight.

The Volvo bus drivers drive like absolute maniacs on the airport stretch. I guess the 80km/hr speed limit does not apply to them. I have seen passenger cars get caught by the interceptors but the Volvos fly past the interceptor at 100km/hr. I was doing 80km/hr once when a OHC and a volvo flew past me at 100km/hr easily. The OHC got caught by interceptor whereas the Volvo just flew past the cops.

The Volvo buses literally bull doze you off the road. No lane discipline, they cut from extreme left to right lane at will. When they approach a signal they try to get in front by going to the extreme left lane on the mud and squeeze past everyone and then just cut everyone off like no other car existed.

On one drive to the airport, I followed a Volvo from cauvery junstion all the way to hebbal flyover. why? Because he never let anyone overtake. He took all 3 lanes and would swerve at will if you tried to pass. At hebbal flyover, he didn't stop in the bus bay. He cooly stopped on the right most lane at the ramp of the flyover to pick up passengers blocking all vehicles till he started again. I ended up overtaking him after almost getting side swiped.

The same story holds true when I commute to Electronics city. The buses easily cross 100km/hr and the drivers have no respect for other users. They have literally become a terror on the roads.
Old 18th May 2009, 09:57   #633
Team-BHP Support

Well consider this, I took VV to the airport. you know what it is like, anxious to check in etc. The Volvo stops at hollywood junction for 10 min. Why ? conductor wants to go and pick up dinner. We wait, driver then runs out to find him. All in all, we waste 15 min waiting!
Old 18th May 2009, 10:28   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
They have literally become a terror on the roads.
My favourite pastime is to get in front of a Volvo and never allow him to cross 20kmph.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:02   #635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well consider this, I took VV to the airport. you know what it is like, anxious to check in etc. The Volvo stops at hollywood junction for 10 min. Why ? conductor wants to go and pick up dinner. We wait, driver then runs out to find him. All in all, we waste 15 min waiting!
The same thing happened to me coming back from airport. The driver stops near hollywood junction, conductor gets down looks around for some guy, then disappears. Appears after 5mins with a dabba in his hand. Bus with fully loaded passengers all back from a tiring trip are helplessly waiting to reach home.
Old 20th May 2009, 15:17   #636
BHPian

City driving...

First Incident:

It was about 12ish and I took a left turn at the Banashankari 2nd Stage at the Pizza hut end of the BDA complex to go towards J.P. Nagar. After I completed the turn and as I reached near the park, there is a big hump, I slowed down, crossed the hump and kept moving ahead slowly as there were quite a few vehicles in front of me.
At this point I noticed a white color fabia driven by a lady exactly behind me. She honked me a couple of times asking for way I guess, I could not move to the left to give her way as there was an auto and a bike to my left. I just stuck to my lane and soon there was the 2nd hump which I cleared and moved ahead and as I was preparing to accelerate as the vehicles in front of me started to move faster, this lady in fabia who was behind me, all of a sudden went on to my right to overtake and the moment she realised she is on the wrong side and saw a jeep/van coming from the opposite direction, she suddenly came to the left right infront of me and I would have rear ended her had I not slowed down. She did all this stunt with absolutely no inidication in any way.
I thought of overtaking her and giving her a piece of my mind, but considering the safety of me and others on the road, decided not to do it and just stuck to my usual driving and saw her race away and disappear in fear that I might catch up with her.

When will people learn to respect other users on the road? I guess never.

Second Incident:
The same evening around 8:00 PM I was driving on mysore road and was heading towards BHEL. Near the hanuman temple, there was huge traffic. In the left most lane, there was a VRL truck. I was just next to the truck. and next to me was a wagon r going in the opposite direction correctly in that lane. As I was inching through the traffice, there came a white tata estate (the one which looks like pickup truck) to my right in the opposite lane in that high traffic and started to move to the left to join the correct lane where there is hardly any space as I am there and next to me there is thus truck. I told the passenger on the front seat, why are you hurring up like this where is the space here in this traffic? For this he said, you shut up and mind your own business don't tell us what to do and the vehicle continued to move to the left. As it was literally inching at that point, I stopped and let that idiot go and I moved only after he had clearly moved ahead. This vehicle was infront of me, I noticed that the registration belonged to the rural area probably some village on the outskirts of bangalore. The vehicle was also loaded with a lot of stuff that would normally be used for agriculture. The people in the car also looked like typical of those village goons / landlords.

I am not trying the blame that only people from village drive bad in cities, but as far as I have seen, these people who drive in cities high traffic, drive as if they are driving in their villages without giving proper indications, without following rules and trying to overtake others when literally all vehicles are inching in traffic.

I am sure all of us go through such incidents every time while we are on the road. Initially I used to get frustrated at almost every incident like this when I initially started to drive. Now I just ignore these incidents and idiots and just move on. I have realised that there is not point getting frustarted as there will always be a moron with the "me first" attitude on the road no matter what.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th May 2009 at 15:32. Reason: Search please before opening a new thread, thanks.
Old 20th May 2009, 15:47   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post

...decided not to do it and just stuck to my usual driving and saw her race away and disappear in fear that I might catch up with her.

When will people learn to respect other users on the road? I guess never.
See, you have been a learnt person right?

So, still there are couple of people waiting to learn in the queue. Some learn it hard way.
Old 20th May 2009, 19:18   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
First Incident:

decided not to do it and just stuck to my usual driving and saw her race away and disappear in fear that I might catch up with her.

Second Incident:
I told the passenger on the front seat, why are you hurring up like this where is the space here in this traffic? For this he said, you shut up and mind your own business don't tell us what to do and the vehicle continued to move to the left. As it was literally inching at that point, I stopped and let that idiot go and I moved only after he had clearly moved ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
See, you have been a learnt person right?

So, still there are couple of people waiting to learn in the queue. Some learn it hard way.
Mjothi he has learnt it twice and in a different ways.
In the 2nd incident he learnt in a very hard and harsh way
Old 5th June 2009, 11:55   #639
Team-BHP Support

Sumo cab KA01 AC 7474. Must compliment this fellow for not succumbing to the bad driving habits displayed by many from his ilk, despite having many opportinities for doing so. He was gentle on speed breakers, didnt go up the wrong side of the road, and drove very sanely. I was following him for a long distance while driving to work today, and got to observe how he drove.
Old 5th June 2009, 12:17   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sumo cab KA01 AC 7474. Must compliment this fellow for not succumbing to the bad driving habits displayed by many from his ilk, despite having many opportinities for doing so. He was gentle on speed breakers, didnt go up the wrong side of the road, and drove very sanely. I was following him for a long distance while driving to work today, and got to observe how he drove.
Probably the driver was also the owner of the cab.
Old 5th June 2009, 12:25   #641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Probably the driver was also the owner of the cab.
Quite possible. However, he was a welcome change from the others sporting the yellow plate, and wrecking havoc on the roads.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:56   #642
BHPian

Every city has its share of undisciplined drivers, Bangalore is no different. What makes the situation really sad here, is the ineffectiveness of Traffic Police. I have moved from Bombay to Bangalore, and hence for me this difference is very visible.

In Bombay, I am pretty sure, if I break a signal there will be a cop hiding somewhere who will suddenly pounce in front of me. This will cost me at least 50-100Rs. In Bangalore, you can break the signal in front of the cop and get away with it, on most occasions. The fear of breaking the law is completely missing.

All that the cops do in BLR is check 2-wheelers for documentation and drunken driving (on Friday/Saturday nights). 4-wheelers are never checked. May be they are understaffed, but man, the traffic police here is damn ineffective. I stay at a fairly busy traffic intersection and thus see frequent accidents (thankfully almost none of them are fatal) and I have a first-hand experience of how ineffective the cops are. I can count at least 10-12 vehicles that cross the road after the signal has turned red, every single time, right through the day.

On a lighter note - A havaldar in Bombay, would look at this situation with glee and could meet his retirement target in no time
Old 5th June 2009, 14:52   #643
Senior - BHPian

Otherday on my way back from Devanhalli spotted a red alto speeding, since i knew about the speed gun location i maintain speed(below 80kmph) this dude must be doing 100kmph and gets caught on the gun the cops signal him to stop but this guy slowls down and takes off.. while he did this stunt he almost rammed into a cop but he gets away, the moron dint know that there was a signal ahead where he had to stop cops followed him and caught.

This man looked like a It geek, i mean to say educated but his act was sad!
Old 5th June 2009, 15:05   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Otherday on my way back from Devanhalli spotted a red alto speeding, since i knew about the speed gun location i maintain speed(below 80kmph) this dude must be doing 100kmph and gets caught on the gun the cops signal him to stop but this guy slowls down and takes off.. while he did this stunt he almost rammed into a cop but he gets away, the moron dint know that there was a signal ahead where he had to stop cops followed him and caught.

This man looked like a It geek, i mean to say educated but his act was sad!
I hope they booked him for more than mere speeding. They should charge him with assaulting an officer on duty at least.
In late 80s to early 90s, in Punjab if you didnt stop when police signalled you, you'd be lucky to get away alive with mere beatings. Now, i can't break the habit of stopping when a uniformed person tells me to.
Old 5th June 2009, 16:03   #645
BANNED

Ok another one.

I work at Diamond District near Domlur Circle and take the left to enter IRR from airport road.

On Monday i see a silver coloured alto with a family inside coming down the wrong side with Hazard Warning lights and Headlights on.

Everytime i pass this road i regularly see autorickshaws(i dont bother they are scum) and 2 wheelers happily coming down the wrong side.

Now this Alto guy irritates the hell out of me. Breaking rules is one thing teaching your kids sitting in the car is taking it too far.

I park the bike and block him. Get off the bike go to him and hand him Rs 50 and tell him to take the vehicle back and buy petrol worth the amount he wanted to save.

He gives me a sheepish look and says i need to go another 100-200 meters more only. I replied breaking rules?

Another car stops behind me and the driver gets down and joins me. He too had enough of the wrong side idiots, he takes this route everyday.

The guy in the Alto is not relenting though, right in front of his kids around the age of 10 - 15 he is justifying his breaking the rules.

By now a small crowd gathers and starts asking the driver to reverse. He does this eventually.

My last statement to him was if you cannot afford to fill petrol in your car and are ready to risk the life of your family for Rs 30-40, he should not be driving one. Instead of understanding he gives me a dirty look.

Now seeing this commotion a cab driver trying the same stunt and a couple of bike riders coming down the wrong side immediately turn their vehicles and go back.

When will people in this city show some respect for rules.

Most Viewed