Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 09:48   #6466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hosa road signal has choked hosur road on both sides. Its almost an hour and I am returning back after dropping wife at e city, so have to face the double whammy.
Old 26th August 2014, 09:58   #6467
Team-BHP Support

Its not so bad in Bangalore once you have the freedom of travelling to office and back after the peak traffic timings are over. I drive 55 kms daily - used to hate it when i was working normal hours, but driving to office in weird shift hours is quite enjoyable these days.

To the point that my trip meter is showing 18.4 kmpl for the last 1500 kms covered entirely in the city from Yelahanka <-> Domlur.
Old 26th August 2014, 10:16   #6468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
To the point that my trip meter is showing 18.4 kmpl for the last 1500 kms covered entirely in the city from Yelahanka <-> Domlur.
Tell me about it! I manage 17+ in the city in a Duster, just by driving weird hours. Now it seems normal to me and normal seems weird ! And this is now on for almost ~2 years!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:23   #6469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its not so bad in Bangalore once you have the freedom of travelling to office and back after the peak traffic timings are over. I drive 55 kms daily - used to hate it when i was working normal hours, but driving to office in weird shift hours is quite enjoyable these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Tell me about it! I manage 17+ in the city in a Duster, just by driving weird hours. Now it seems normal to me and normal seems weird ! And this is now on for almost ~2 years!
Add me to the club.
Been 3 years (minus about 3 months) in working in werid timings.

Wifey just joined my company too. Unfortunately her timings are normal work hours.
I was hoping that she would also get weird working timings, so that we can go for long drive to work together everyday. But destiny hit us hard.

While I leave early morning and have a breeze drive, she stands (seats full) through 2 hours of horrible Volvo ride. :(

EDIT: Last but not the least, my Petrol Beat returns an average of 16-17 km/l, without AC.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 26th August 2014 at 10:31.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:03   #6470
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I too have been doing the same (Driving off peak hours) since the last 4 years. With a 12 noon start from Home and a 9pm start from Electronics City I clock anything between 64-68 kms daily. Earlier I was following ampere's timings of earlier than early starts and returns (7am-5pm types)

Having said that, I do get a share of B2B traffic in both directions almost every day. 14 Traffic Signals and 2 Pelican crossings,narrow roads in Richmond Circle, Shantinagar,Augodi & Madiwala areas get compensated by a long signal free stretch from Kodigehalli all the way till Highgrounds junction and a breather for 9kms to cruise in one gear on the Elevated expressway to Electronics city.

On some occasions, I need to work out of Yemlur office and I take the outer Ring road. Except for KR Puram mess, its a breeze all the way to destination but it pains when I am returning when KR Puram at evening gets even more messier. Outer Ring road is otherwise is a 5th gear drive right from Hebbal to Silkboard in such hours (barring KR Puram and those starts from Speedbreakers), almost identical to highway driving.

Ideally, the use case for most of us cannot be termed as Peak hour B2B traffic at all - Very early morning starts or afternoon starts.

Hence, I am not generally very obsessed about the FE displayed by the MID as its not genuinely traffic prone drive that I need to go gung-ho about the efficiency. What I may have lost driving till Silkboard is what I try to make up when I drive on BETL.

Driving typical 9-6pm types with similar distances brings it down easily by 20%.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th August 2014 at 11:05.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:07   #6471
Senior - BHPian

Traffic Alert as reported by rk_sans

Heavy crack down of Non-KA Vehicles in front of Soap Factory / Orion Mall.
More than 12+ RTO Officials spread through the road. No escaping.
Try alternate routes.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:30   #6472
Senior - BHPian

Took 3 1/2 hours to travel home in the evening yesterday (22 Kms). Was stopped on HSR flyover for almost an hour. Not sure what the issue was. Once after crossing Silk Board signal, there was nothing wrong. Most horrible ever for me.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:53   #6473
Senior - BHPian

Expect heavy traffic jam from Hope farm to ITPL as there are pits dug up every 100 meters blocking one lane of the road for some cable laying. Do not understand why this work is done during peak traffic time and not on weekends or at night. Similar pits were dug from Varthur lake junction to Hope farm some time back. Private service providers are mainly responsible for the deterioration of roads as they keep digging the roads very often.

Last edited by pramodpk : 27th August 2014 at 09:55.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:23   #6474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

I stay at Goa and I can vouch for the fact that Goan motorists are much much more patient, accommodating, calmer, drive slower with caution, give space to the opposite motorist and have a smile on their face. Here every one seems to be in a tearing hurry, horns blaring unnecessarily and in utterly hopeless situations (like a traffic jam), abusive, glaring and what not. The city has grown cosmopolitan with the very best available but many motorists seems to have really stooped low in attitude and behavior. Money or affluence or big cars does not necessarily maketh a man.
I felt quite the opposite in Goa, almost all the cabbies were in hurry as if there was no tomorrow. Two wheelers as expected, and even if you happen to enter a narrow bridge first, the locals force you to take reverse!!

I guess the fact is not the place, but the genes
Old 27th August 2014, 11:10   #6475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Took 3 1/2 hours to travel home in the evening yesterday (22 Kms). Was stopped on HSR flyover for almost an hour. Not sure what the issue was. Once after crossing Silk Board signal, there was nothing wrong. Most horrible ever for me.
Me (Driving) - 2.5 Hrs; 22 Kms
Left Vydehi Junction: 5 PM
Reached BTM Lake Road Home: 7:30 PM

Wife (Onoard 500C Volvo) - ~3.5 Hrs; 25 Kms
Left ITPL: 7 PM
Reached BTM Lake Road Home: 10:20 PM

Traffic from HSR Flyover was standstill till SilkBoard. Upon reaching Silkboard after 8 attempts, I observed that each green came after ~15 mins; and stayed on for ~3 minutes.

Also, just before Kuvempunagara Bus Stop (BTM Bus Stop), there was a huge 'Havan' being performed at a temple beside the road causing onlookers and party revellers blocking half the road.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:41   #6476
BHPian

I stay at Whitefield. My wife and I travel together to office and back home. We earlier did the 9-6 timings and ran into traffic almost all the time. From this year, we switched to a 7:30AM to 4:30PM run. Both our work schedules being flexible helped the case.

Of-course there are some bad days when the timing doesn't matter.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 18:57   #6477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I felt quite the opposite in Goa, almost all the cabbies were in hurry as if there was no tomorrow. Two wheelers as expected, and even if you happen to enter a narrow bridge first, the locals force you to take reverse!!

I guess the fact is not the place, but the genes
I agree. We need to compare similar places with similar traffic population/conditions etc. My hometown is a heaven that way
Old 28th August 2014, 10:17   #6478
BHPian

Today was a refreshing drive to office. Don't know whether the weekend bug has bitten earlier and a lot of the folks have taken off to their homes, but the roads were sparse. A normal 20-25 minute drive took about 10 today.
A negative was that it was a free run for buses and private vans. They were more reckless.
Old 28th August 2014, 10:22   #6479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Today was a refreshing drive to office. Don't know whether the weekend bug has bitten earlier and a lot of the folks have taken off to their homes, but the roads were sparse. A normal 20-25 minute drive took about 10 today.
A negative was that it was a free run for buses and private vans. They were more reckless.
I guess the worst is yet to come. Try going towards Majestic side in the evening. It will be a totally chaotic situation well past midnight as well.
Old 28th August 2014, 10:27   #6480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I guess the worst is yet to come. Try going towards Majestic side in the evening. It will be a totally chaotic situation well past midnight as well.
Wouldn't dare.
Majestic, KR Puram, Madiwala would all be choc-a-block today evening. I hope to start early from office today and give a miss to the weekend traffic.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed