Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:28   #6526
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

All this while, I was thinking a sky-walk is coming up in front of Ecospace. Realized my folly when I paid attention to the structure coming up. It's an advertising hoarding frame
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 08:15   #6527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I forgot to appreciate some good thing

God bless the noble soul who actually re-tarred the stretch between Silk Board > HSR > Agara.
The evil part of this noble action is the re-installation of mountainous speed breakers near Mantri apartment and IOL bunk on both sides of the road. I could see scrape marks on the speed breakers and hoping that it gets to decent size after few days.
rajakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 08:25   #6528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
The evil part of this noble action is the re-installation of mountainous speed breakers near Mantri apartment and IOL bunk on both sides of the road. I could see scrape marks on the speed breakers and hoping that it gets to decent size after few days.
I was just about to Rant on these two Speedbreakers.

I scraped my car on the Mantri Apartment speedbreaker yesterday, while returning home.
And today morning, I scraped on the IOC Bunk speedbreaker, while coming to work.

These dumb contractors who do such kind of illogical things should be fired at the first instance.

Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 08:59   #6529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I was just about to Rant on these two Speedbreakers.

I scraped my car on the Mantri Apartment speedbreaker yesterday, while returning home.
And today morning, I scraped on the IOC Bunk speedbreaker, while coming to work.
I put up a post on the BTP facebook page. The new speed breakers on both sides are humongous.

The older ones were better. The new ones are even shorter but with more height. Even small hatch backs are scraping.

Please post on the BTP page. Hopefully they fix it at the earliest.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 09:03   #6530
Senior - BHPian

Road is silky smooth now though Waiting for the road from flyover to Agara to smooth-en since it is very rough. If someone doesn't see these humps early enough, it will surely cause major damage.
Old 4th September 2014, 09:26   #6531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
All this while, I was thinking a sky-walk is coming up in front of Ecospace. Realized my folly when I paid attention to the structure coming up. It's an advertising hoarding frame
I too thought that the SAP labs road leading to Vydehi hospital will be widened when i saw workers clearing the mud on the road divider only to realize that they were clearing the space for hoardings.
Looks like bangalore public are meant to suffer.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:46   #6532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Bellandur Flyover Accident Alert

Really, this flyover deserves a dedicated thread. Another indi-cab (compact sedan) totaled in the same spot as previous accidents.
Two persons, including the driver, lost their lives in that accident. One person is admitted to hospital with severe injuries.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2414046.ece
Old 4th September 2014, 11:51   #6533
Senior - BHPian

Every morning, before I leave for work along the ORR towards manyata I make a mental note that I should not honk. However, hardly a day passes by when I have actually not honked. Below is why,
1. Two wheelers -
a. With their rear view mirrors folded in such a way that they can look and admire themselves while riding, or the mirrors are missing all together. Isn't it illeagal to ride w/o the rear view mirrors?
b. head phones plugged in and merrily swinging through the traffic, scant regards for any other vehicle on the road. I may be wrong, but I see a lot of outstation two wheeler riders on this stretch doing this with a lot of impunity along with our local heroes and heroines.
c. Finally, riding on the extreme right lane at 30kmph, oblivious to the dangers lurking behind.

2. Cars/cabs w/o rear view mirrors. Either the cabs don't have it, or when do have it, they are neatly folded. It freaks me out when I have to overtake such cabs/cars as I don't know how on earth is that person going to know I am behind them, unless I honk.

In short, I am planning to get a louder horn, just for these emergency purposes, else I will continue to make such mental notes w/o actually implementing it.

End of of a long Rant.

Last edited by dass : 4th September 2014 at 11:55.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 11:52   #6534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Two persons, including the driver, lost their lives in that accident. One person is admitted to hospital with severe injuries.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2414046.ece
Is this in front of Ecospace? Today saw them putting a reflector where the flyover divides from the road going to the right.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:07   #6535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Is this in front of Ecospace? Today saw them putting a reflector where the flyover divides from the road going to the right.
Yes indeed. Reflectors were installed multiple times, but accidents continue to happen. No idea why they aren't trying something like a row of plastic poles extending some length before the start of the flyover wall.
Old 5th September 2014, 08:40   #6536
Senior - BHPian

Case of road-rage in Koramangala - Woman, friend beaten up by two men on scooter

Quote:
In a case of apparent road rage, a 26-year-old woman and her male friend on a motorcycle were beaten up by two scooterists in full public view at Koramangala on Saturday for asking them to follow traffic rules.

The two reached Maharaja Circle at Koramangala 4th Block and were waiting at the signal when two men on a scooter reportedly charged towards them from the wrong side.

Avoiding an imminent collision, the victims shouted at the scooterists asking them to ride cautiously. Enraged by the advice, the scooterists started following them. They intercepted the motorbike at the busy Maharaja Circle.

By the time the victims realised they were about to be attacked, they were pulled from their bike and hit. The woman, who was riding pillion and wearing a helmet, was saved from fatal blows, but her friend was thrashed.

The victims called the police control room while a large crowd watched curiously without making any effort to intervene.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 17:04   #6537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Case of road-rage
Its getting to be that one must immediately suppress all emotions when on the road in India, which is what I do but I won't see the fairness in it until at least 99% of the riders/drivers drive in a conscientious manner.

I've no idea what words were exchanged in the incident above, but it went so far as the offenders chasing the victims and beating them up in a busy street in daylight. What's happening to the motorists in this city? Are they so constipated that a single passing remark against their driving sets them off? Cabbies and autowale drive with a perpetual grimace, some of them purposely swerve to show others their staggering might which is the only time a baleful smile is seen. Two wheelers, no offense but those of whom I've seen play the 'victim card' of owning a small vehicle all too well. I've rode a gearless scooter as well before cars, never once did I do sweeping lane changes (I'd signal to move even 1 feet side-wards) and maintained a good distance in the sides of over 2 feet. In red-signals I'd wait where I stop and not give car owners the shocks and thrills of zig-zagging.

People in general have to take ownership of their road violations. Instead to mask their error they come out bursting with anger like constipated men. All I see when parked in red are stares of men in a hurry revving the engines.. lost in thoughts unaware that they are even driving. I guess notions like physics, logic, human limitations etc fly out the window/helmet when mounted on an engine.
Old 7th September 2014, 19:40   #6538
BHPian

What's most annoying in bangalore is that even properly dressed so called "well educated" folk freely flout traffic rules, ride/drive on the wrong side of the road and jump signals at the smallest instance possible. No one seems to have a conscience while driving. It's all a big rave of who can get ahead first thus delaying everyone (including himself).
Old 7th September 2014, 22:52   #6539
BHPian

From my limited experience driving all through South India, Pune, Mumbai and Delhi, everyone seems to get a high when they violate traffic rules. And many suffer from unwanted hurry syndrome !

Seeing the road rage incidents, i also doubt if the guys who get enraged and gang up do this on purpose. They might be thinking/feeling that getting into a fight on the road improves their popularity !

One example is HSR layout. Towards the Parangipalaya - Somasundarapalaya road, you see a bunch of heroes (sarcasm) on their pulsars doing zig zags, incessant honking, riding triple and sometimes even four, going close to other cars, drive on the wrong side etc. In the event someone questions them or tell something, these heroes call up their gang and a fight ensues ! These gangs do not have any problem even if they have to beat up 65 year old weak man (saw an incident !)

And the most irritating part is that the cops who would be doing their rounds would be so insensitive and if you complain they would talk to the complainant as if he/she did invite trouble !
Old 8th September 2014, 07:38   #6540
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the B-i-i-i-g Speed Breaker in front of Mantri, HSR Layout, has claimed its first victim !!

I saw an absolutely banged up (front and front left fender and wheels) Swift bearing reg: KA 03 MT xxxx, on a flatbed about 50 mts from the speed breaker, and tyre marks stretching from just after the speed breaker to the point where the flatbed was parked near the service road divider.
It seems like the guy in Swift failed to notice the speed breaker and jumped over it > landed badly > tried to panic brake > Front Left wheel broke off, and finally the car crashed into the service lane divider.

Poor chap. So much for well tarred roads, without any neccessary markings on the speed breakers atleast, if not lane markings.
No pics as I was trying my best trying to negotiate and not scrape the underbody of my car on that big speed breaker.

On another note, appreciate the noble soul who tarred the road between the down foot of Intel Flyover till Kadibisenahalli Undepass start towards Marathalli. Silky smooth ride.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed