Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 21:25   #6556
BHPian

As you rightly said, it's the increase of educated morons not your driving style. ☺
Old 9th September 2014, 19:27   #6557
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

A small ray of hope for our beloved "Whitefielders"
A small stretch in front of Zuri hotel has been asphalted (ever so lightly so it may soon rip off!) so the obstacle course plus bone-jarring drive on that stretch is gone, will wait and see how long though.
Also around the Hoodi area, some of the speed breakers/zebra crossings have new markings.
Last week, I had posted about some pruning of the plants on the median in this area and now this small improvement, good to see our authorities at least take baby steps
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 22:34   #6558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A small stretch in front of Zuri hotel has been asphalted (ever so lightly so it may soon rip off!) so the obstacle course plus bone-jarring drive on that stretch is gone, will wait and see how long though.
I guess it may not last for more than 2-3 weeks. We, the Whitefielders who enter through back door (from Borewell road, ECC road and Hopefarm side) have seen such kind of temporary filling of rough patches numerous times which will be ripped off by water tankers, concrete mixers in a very short period. So your joy may be short lived
guyfrmblr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 02:07   #6559
BHPian

Do anyone notice people going towards marathahalli stop their vehicles immediately after getting down the Bellandur flyover ? People dangerously stop their vehicle on the extreme right of the road and passengers/pillion riders carelessly get down during peak traffic hours. Those who get down run towards the opposite side (eco space campus gate) as if they are participating in a running race. And these are the regular IT folks who are educated (or uneducated ?)

Do people even realize the amount of risk involved ? Or is it just that company insurance will take care of all expenses ?

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 10th September 2014 at 02:11. Reason: Completed the sentences
Old 10th September 2014, 07:39   #6560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Do anyone notice people going towards marathahalli stop their vehicles immediately after getting down the Bellandur flyover ? People dangerously stop their vehicle on the extreme right of the road and passengers/pillion riders carelessly get down during peak traffic hours. Those who get down run towards the opposite side (eco space campus gate) as if they are participating in a running race. And these are the regular IT folks who are educated (or uneducated ?)

Do people even realize the amount of risk involved ? Or is it just that company insurance will take care of all expenses ?
You see, stopping on the left lane, near the bus stop will involve crossing 6 lanes (may be 8)- 3 on their side, and 3 on the other.
So the smart husbands, friends, cabbies drop them next to the median so that they can only cross 3 lanes on the opposite lane.
These smarties need
Old 10th September 2014, 08:40   #6561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also around the Hoodi area, some of the speed breakers/zebra crossings have new markings.
I am gonna enjoy it till it lasts coz I don't foresee this layer of tar lasting beyond 2/3 weeks. All it takes is the manhole ahead of Zuri to overflow and lo' we are back at square one.
Old 10th September 2014, 08:40   #6562
BHPian

Quote:
is it just that company insurance will take care of all expenses ?
you mean funeral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
You see, stopping on the left lane, near the bus stop will involve crossing 6 lanes (may be 8)- 3 on their side, and 3 on the other.
So the smart husbands, friends, cabbies drop them next to the median so that they can only cross 3 lanes on the opposite lane.
These smarties need
By design the right side is supposed to be the dedicated bus bay.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:34   #6563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not risky for them. The vehicle users who drive on the roads are at risk. In the event of we knocking them out, i guess we have to take care of their expenses.
God forbid if the victim croaks, then we should pray to god that some good Samaritan takes care of our family (The vehicle user could be in jail for killing the victim)
Old 10th September 2014, 09:36   #6564
Senior - BHPian

This is how BMTC bus drivers stop at bus stops:
- Approach bus stop from the rightmost lane
- If there already is a bus stopped, overtake it and stop in front of the stopped bus. If the driver is in the mood of taking over the other buses' passengers, stop at an angle such that the stopped bus cannot move until this bus moves
- But if there already is another bus or a parked vehicle in front of the stopped bus, then stop in the right lane
- Once passengers alight and board, simply swerve the bus to the rightmost lane (if not already in rightmost lane) and slowly move forward
- Assume that other vehicles don't exist. Acknowledge only the existence of other BMTC buses.

Today I was stuck behind one BMTC bus trying to overtake another, with both doing about 40 KMPH, on the empty stretch from Soolikunte to Kodathi. Both wouldn't give way to another, and both didn't have enough power to go faster.

On second thoughts, I don't know which bus was overtaking which bus. They were driving in parallel by the time I arrived at the scene. And they continued to do so till the next bus stop 3 kms away.

Last edited by rohanjf : 10th September 2014 at 09:39.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 09:59   #6565
Team-BHP Support

Finally, the Mantri Sarovar speed breakers were highlighted in a news article in today's bangalore mirror. It's a royal pain and they showed photos of the horrendous speed breakers.

Bangalore mirror went to BBMP who said they have not put it nor have they asphalted and it's the BDA. BDA told they put the humps only because Bangalore traffic police told them to.

I hope the height is reduced to respectable size this week.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../42117280.cms?

Last edited by ajmat : 10th September 2014 at 10:05. Reason: Link added
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 10:18   #6566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Finally, the Mantri Sarovar speed breakers were highlighted in a news article in today's bangalore mirror. It's a royal pain and they showed photos of the horrendous speed breakers.

Bangalore mirror went to BBMP who said they have not put it nor have they asphalted and it's the BDA. BDA told they put the humps only because Bangalore traffic police told them to.

I hope the height is reduced to respectable size this week.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../42117280.cms?
And I ranted on BTP on their response to the Facebook complaint.

Name:  20140910 10.12.41.png
Views: 519
Size:  152.0 KB
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 10:23   #6567
BHPian

Just curious, why is that "techies" are highlighted in headlines? Does nobody else use that road or do "techies" only have cars or do "techies" are the ones who complain?

Just feel that "techies" have become a different set of species in bangalore and this species gets affected by various things that the normal human beings are not affected.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:35   #6568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Just curious, why is that "techies" are highlighted in headlines? Does nobody else use that road or do "techies" only have cars or do "techies" are the ones who complain?

Just feel that "techies" have become a different set of species in bangalore and this species gets affected by various things that the normal human beings are not affected.
I strongly believe that Bangalore is surviving on techies.
In short, anything Good or Bad happens in/to Bangalore, its because of Techies.

The speed humps were put in place because it is an IT corridoor and techies sped their vehicles.
Now these humps are a menace, so the techies will obviously groan.

And this is specific to the IT Corridoors (ORR, IRR, BETL). You won't hear techies complaining about the detoriating condition of roads or the traffic jams in CBD of Bangalore.

And I believe we (Techies) have the right to voice, because we (IT Workforce) pay up a huge sum of tax to the state government for better facilities. If they don't meet atleast the basic expectation, they should be blasted.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:06   #6569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I was witness to the making of the hump at the Iblur-Agara service road end, and it was the cops who were directing the contractor/workers. So it can be assumed that these are all unofficial humps made to fulfill the whims and fancies of the local traffic cops.

Speaking of the humps, a good portion of the top layer is already scraped. Feel bad for those who took hit in the night as it is very hard to notice.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:17   #6570
BHPian

I think the media and general public get too prejudiced with "techies"

Only techies in Bangalore are rich. According to a very knowledgeable cab driver, police man:

a) Techies are the luckier folks in India. They just need to type using their keyboard every day in English and boom; they get the sms "your account xxx is credited with your monthly salary of 1,00,000+
b) Every auto guy has the right to over charge you - Their demand "when you are earning in lakhs why worry about 50 Rs. ?"
c) Because techies are earning in lakhs every month, house owners have the right to demand 10 months advance.
d) Most of the techies are here to drink and merry (a cop was telling me during his routine check, he was friendly with me because i had all documents and not under the influence. Seeing everything perfect, he started having a chat and showed me the vehicles siezed that night. Supposedly all the vehicles had drivers under influence, working for big IT companies. That's when i also realized techies are so mad about vehicles that they started driving mahindra pick ups and tata indica with yellow plates, get drunk and get caught)
e) Only techies afford cars in Bangalore. The non techies who can afford vehicles are the ones driving transport buses, trucks, auto's, indicabs, old maruti 800's. All the Audi's, merc's, bmw are owned by techies. Any accident that involves "techies" obviously indicate that "techies" are most rash driven, not disciplined drivers.

After all typing all day gives them loads of money.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 10th September 2014 at 11:18. Reason: fixing grammar
sunishsamuel is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks