Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 07:14   #6616
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Accident Alert

Saw a badly smashed (Cabin/Wind Shield intact) Red Nissan Sunny on the ORR before entering the Kadubeesanahalli underpass (while coming from Marathahalli). Lots of crowd and couple of traffic police personnel when I crossed this spot at 06:40 today.

Looks like the car climbed the divider hit the lamp post and fortunately didn't jump to the other side of the road but fell back in the same lane. Case of dozing or momentary lapse of concentration at high speeds.
Old 16th September 2014, 17:07   #6617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Accident Alert

Saw a badly smashed (Cabin/Wind Shield intact) Red Nissan Sunny on the ORR before entering the Kadubeesanahalli underpass (while coming from Marathahalli). Lots of crowd and couple of traffic police personnel when I crossed this spot at 06:40 today.

Looks like the car climbed the divider hit the lamp post and fortunately didn't jump to the other side of the road but fell back in the same lane. Case of dozing or momentary lapse of concentration at high speeds.
How about a RTO Chase for Non-KA vehicle gone wrong ? It was a KL registered Sunny.

A pic while I was returning from work at 7am. The front was totalled and 3 cops were trying to get the front on a tow truck.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140916_170637.png
Views: 745
Size:  508.5 KB
Old 16th September 2014, 17:37   #6618
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Also, one of the gaps in median in front of gate 2 has been opened in the evening today. This should ease the situation. It was the craziest day in the last 10 years at ITPL today.
Yes the median gap in front of prestige's gate 2 is open again for U Turns today. Seems like the experiment to close it failed miserably. The concrete blocks were stacked up on the median today.
Old 16th September 2014, 18:26   #6619
BHPian

The big momma of all poorly tarred flyovers is gonna be the one from Krpuram to Mahadevapura which ensures a bone jarring teeth breaking a** breaking ride everytime you are unlucky to travel that way.
How is that even classified as a flyover? That should be classified as a broken down village road.
Roomy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 18:49   #6620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
The big momma of all poorly tarred flyovers is gonna be the one from Krpuram to Mahadevapura which ensures a bone jarring teeth breaking a** breaking ride everytime you are unlucky to travel that way.
How is that even classified as a flyover? That should be classified as a broken down village road.
The sad part is, that flyover has been in that shape for over a decade now. The reason, the TAR is still there on the flyover, just that it's like a liquid lava which hardened at all the wrong places.

I take that flyover every day. :(
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 20:40   #6621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
The sad part is, that flyover has been in that shape for over a decade now. The reason, the TAR is still there on the flyover, just that it's like a liquid lava which hardened at all the wrong places.

I take that flyover every day. :(
Over many months, in my mind, I've plotted various points on that flyover that needs to be avoided so that nothing breaks (as in teeth, bones, a**). I also have memorized where to brake, and at what speeds to tackle each imperfection on the flyover. Sort of an F1 race - gear 3 in turn 2, x speed, outer lane etc. etc.
If I were to translate it into paper, it would almost look like an ECG. I enter the flyover in leftmost lane end up in the right most lane as I descend the flyover. Of course this is while riding a two-wheeler.

Last edited by sanjaykk : 16th September 2014 at 20:41.
sanjaykk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 08:17   #6622
Senior - BHPian

Re-tarring and patch-up of many roads is going on. Today morning, the ORR stretch from Kadubeesanahalli to Marathahalli has been tarred. Unfortunately, only half the side is tarred; the leftmost lane and half the middle lane. If you are a biker and you end up in the middle lane, be careful. You may skid because of a small step it has created.

Yesterday I also noticed that some patches have been applied on Sarjapur road, between Ambalipura and Mori Gate (Wipro). That whole road needs completely new road, and this pathetic quality patching won't do.

When I was growing up in Mangalore, I had noticed that the workers used to put gravel dust on the newly tarred road. Although it used to create some dust, it used to ensure that the new tar doesn't stick to tyres. Probably the fine dust also settles between the gaps of the gravel, strengthening the road and making it last longer (of course, the rains would still ensure that the roads go back to their original state after 15 days of monsoon).

Why can't they put this thin dust on tarred roads of Bangalore?
Old 17th September 2014, 09:02   #6623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
How about a RTO Chase for Non-KA vehicle gone wrong ? It was a KL registered Sunny.
Early in the morning? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
....Unfortunately, only half the side is tarred; the leftmost lane and half the middle lane. If you are a biker and you end up in the middle lane, be careful. You may skid because of a small step it has created...
Not only that, but I noticed small stones flying all over and hitting other vehicles (resulting in stone chips) when a vehicle is driven at high speeds over that.

Better stick to the right most lane.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:14   #6624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
I also have memorized where to brake, and at what speeds to tackle each imperfection on the flyover. Sort of an F1 race - gear 3 in turn 2, x speed, outer lane etc. etc.
In fact more than braking, I get worried thanks to the highly uneven surface. I feel the wheels lose touch with the surface. Since the reaction reduces, I found effect of braking reduce too. So I always make sure not to over speed while descending on this flyover. And then when I reach a more even surface, the control re-surfaces.

Yes; that flyover is pathetic.

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2014 at 09:15.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:28   #6625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Better stick to the right most lane.
First of all, how to identify the right lane?
Secondly, if you drive right next to the median, you will have to follow a truck doing 20 kmph and spewing more toxic smoke than that volcano in Iceland. If you are lucky enough to find no vehicles on the stretch, you are most likely to hit a pedestrian who is in ready-steady-go position to dart across the road, with one leg on your lane.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:29   #6626
Senior - BHPian

Looks like another tough day for Bangaloreans and the city Traffic Police. Heard that there is a 5km long major traffic block between Hoody and ITPL (some where near Prestige Shantiniketan??). And then there is an accident at Veerasandra (Elec.City) and another one some where between Kudlu Gate and Electronic City. All this at the peak hours in the morning :( .
Old 17th September 2014, 10:41   #6627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Old (HAL) Airport Road is pathetic from Marathahalli to HAL Airport junction direction. Work is now in progress on this stretch so hopefully it will become a smooth ride soon.
In the opposite direction the lanes have been asphalted from HAL Helicopter division junction to Marathahalli and is smooth now as of this evening.
I was wondering why on earth, somebody would re-lay a road, which is going to undergo a major changeover(read signal free corridor).
Noticed this last week suddenly, when the section from Helicopter Division to Borewell Bus Stop had a fresh new coat of tar. I could also see that the other side (towards HAL from Marathahalli) there was work going on for re-laying the pavements and some JCBs parked.
The road from Helicopter Division to HAL signal is back breaking commute daily for me. I have to always stick to the right lane, most probably behind a TATA Ace, ferrying Drinking water cans or Gas Cylinders going at a speed of 10-15kph, that too in morning peak hour. . Was wondering when that would change.

Today morning while listening to one of the FM Radio stations, got a clue. Our PM is coming to Bangalore on 23rd.

Not sure whether he is going to take the ORR too.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:05   #6628
BHPian

Quote:
Over many months, in my mind, I've plotted various points on that flyover that needs to be avoided so that nothing breaks (as in teeth, bones, a**). I also have memorized where to brake, and at what speeds to tackle each imperfection on the flyover. Sort of an F1 race - gear 3 in turn 2, x speed, outer lane etc. etc.
If I were to translate it into paper, it would almost look like an ECG. I enter the flyover in leftmost lane end up in the right most lane as I descend the flyover. Of course this is while riding a two-wheeler.
Tell me about it. I ride a small wheeled scooter without telescopic front fork and I can feel every minute undulation on the road. I prefer to keep it left all the way. As you go down the flyover, you'll find the "racing" line on extreme left. Its "racing" line cause its clear of all dirt/dust, easy to spot. Keep your bike on it, and its the smoothest (possible on that surface) ride. Very little malformed tar and minimal expansion joint jerks. Just that its close to flyover wall, so stay alert and do not deviate from racing line or you get into the dirty side of the track .. err, road.
Old 17th September 2014, 12:06   #6629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what I do as well. I have pretty much memorized every bit of that flyover and do the same, the only difference being I am on my car.
Old 17th September 2014, 13:06   #6630
BHPian

Yesterday I left office really late hence believed that the traffic would ease up. So I left from Kundalahalli road at 10:15pm, took the ORR to reach Langford road.

I was right about traffic being less, but he way cabbies were driving gave me absolute nightmares. At every signal - they came from all the sides blocking ways for others. Add to it the BMTC buses - boy, they drive like they are drunk at night. In all a really horrifying experience.
What I do not understand why people just don't drive sanely? As the traffic is so less everyone reaches homes faster. But no, lets all try to be selfish and screw up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks