Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 14:19   #6706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
You seem to have quite a faith in this city. I do too, but it's wavering. My concern was I have to go via Old Madras road
From what I hear on the streets. The main trouble prone area is going to be the Hosur Road. Old Madras Road does have a sizeable Tamil presence, but they are all home grown Tamils (i.e born in Karnataka only). Trouble makers would be on the Hosur Road side.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:17   #6707
Senior - BHPian

IAF man's wife, motorist spar over accident
Quote:
The wife of an Air Force squadron leader and her nephew, who were allegedly drunk, violated one-way rule and fought with a motorist who questioned them,on St Mark’s Road on Saturday night.
First they break the one-way rule. Second they argue. What would be the basis of argument?
Old 29th September 2014, 11:33   #6708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
First they break the one-way rule. Second they argue. What would be the basis of argument?
Seems to be the Mem-saheb (Sq.Ldr's wife) acting too uppity and trying to bully the civilians and civil Police. But looks like the police stood their ground and have seized the DL and the vehicle and also took the driver for medical checkup. And looks like the Squadron Leader had some sense and have said that they would go for out of court settlement (because he knows there is no chance to win this case in court). BTP should now work on charge sheeting the drunk driver, take him to the magistrate and make him pay the fine as well.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 12:07   #6709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

You expecting logic of argument from someone who was drunk and driving against traffic in a one way during night.

Remember a similar situation in Hyderabad, one biker came violating a one-way and almost hit the biker riding in front of me.

They both started arguing, it went something like this -

Biker A: Cant you see this is a one way?
Biker Moron: Cant you see I am coming towards you (Though it may be against law)?
Old 30th September 2014, 10:27   #6710
BHPian

Bad start of the day. Huge blockage at Electronic City Phase 1 signal. Took myself 40 minutes to crawl the last 800 meters towards the signal. I took a house at Singasandra so that I'll be close to office. It took me 55 minutes from home to office. This was to cover a distance of 5 Kms. I was literally shaking my head the whole journey looking at how senseless this city's traffic has become. Fed up.

Apart from ranting, is there a way we can DO something about this situation? Both the junctions - ECity Ph1 and Hosa road are the absolute worst when it comes to traffic management.
Old 30th September 2014, 10:33   #6711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Apart from ranting, is there a way we can DO something about this situation? Both the junctions - ECity Ph1 and Hosa road are the absolute worst when it comes to traffic management.
From what I understood. There are some important visitors coming to Parappana Agrahara Central Prison to meet the VVIP lodged there; Jayalalithaa. This could be the new CM and party from Tamil Nadu. From what I could make out by around 0915Hrs itself the VIP bandobust scheme was put in place (which generally reduces the smooth flow of traffic).
Old 30th September 2014, 11:19   #6712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
From what I understood. There are some important visitors coming to Parappana Agrahara Central Prison to meet the VVIP lodged there; Jayalalithaa. This could be the new CM and party from Tamil Nadu. From what I could make out by around 0915Hrs itself the VIP bandobust scheme was put in place (which generally reduces the smooth flow of traffic).
That's just the case today/this week. These two junctions still have the worst planned (or unplanned) traffic movement.

E.g. Hosa Road junction has 8 entry points and 8 exit points. This makes some crazy combinations by which you just have to pray that you dont get hit by a vehicle.

See the green arrow in the pic below. What kind of traffic planning allows this turn in to a service road leading to ECity signal? Forget the cars, buses and vans take 5-6 point turns to get in to this road!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cr.png
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 11:28   #6713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
E.g. Hosa Road junction has 8 entry points and 8 exit points. This makes some crazy combinations by which you just have to pray that you dont get hit by a vehicle.
Point taken. And the Hosa Rd. Jn is manned by a single traffic police constable. Fat chance he would have any effective control. Perhaps they should block the service roads at this point. That is; from Service roads it should NOT be possible to enter the main highway. People who want to do that should do that at points farther down the junction (on both directions).

The problem at EC 1 is also the same. Because of the utter confusion on vehicles going towards the NICE road. May be I should highlight this to BTP in their Facebook page.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 11:41   #6714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Point taken. And the Hosa Rd. Jn is manned by a single traffic police constable. Fat chance he would have any effective control. Perhaps they should block the service roads at this point. That is; from Service roads it should NOT be possible to enter the main highway. People who want to do that should do that at points farther down the junction (on both directions).

The problem at EC 1 is also the same. Because of the utter confusion on vehicles going towards the NICE road. May be I should highlight this to BTP in their Facebook page.
You have read my mind word by word! Glad that someone else also thinks that the service roads should be barricaded at the signals. They can be opened 200 meters or so after the signal. Note that this will require the service roads to be made one-ways as earlier, otherwise its another nightmare waiting to happen.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:56   #6715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They can be opened 200 meters or so after the signal. Note that this will require the service roads to be made one-ways as earlier
There were openings as mentioned by you earlier. I guess around 7-8 months back they closed those.
Soon after you join the service road from NICE road exit mentioned earlier there was break in barricade allowing you to join the main road. However now it is closed and you need to go till the junction.
Old 30th September 2014, 13:38   #6716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However now it is closed and you need to go till the junction.
And which are these junctions ??? .
1. For vehicles coming from NICE Road, they would enter the service road and try entering the main highway at Naganathapura (Hosa Rd.) Jn. or worse at the EC Gate 1.
2. This add to more chaos as at Naganathapura Jn, you have two service roads, allowing two-way traffic. A road coming from Thoguru (again two way), and then another road i.e the Hosa Road again two way. And at this junction any body can turn to any side/direction.
3. At EC Gate 1, we have one service line (which is two-way) where vehicles going forward to the city and vehicle planning to go to NICE road line up. Then there are more people on the highway, again planning to take a left and then try reaching NICE Road . And then there also folks on the service roads who plan to take a right and get into the highway.
Old 30th September 2014, 21:20   #6717
Senior - BHPian

Almost inching traffic from bommanahalli signal till forum mall, now.

wondering what will be the situation tomorrow.
Old 30th September 2014, 22:59   #6718
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Though most schools are closed for Pooja holidays, the traffic was still a mess this morning on the Old madras road-Whitefield route.

Just wondering if Bangalore will see any lesser traffic this long weekend, seems like lots of folks are just staying back and not leaving the city

Last edited by NPV : 30th September 2014 at 23:01.
Old 1st October 2014, 07:16   #6719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
lots of folks are just staying back and not leaving the city
I think recent developments in Tamil Nadu has prompted lot of folks to cancel their trip back home/tourism trips.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 08:01   #6720
Senior - BHPian

Those who travel between Doddanekkundi and Marathahalli on ORR, did you notice the truck that has gone over the median and lost its front axle (in front of Malgudi/Shogun/The Dhaba)?

It looks like the driver didn't see the hump on the 6-lane road. It's so funny that a hump is put on ring road instead of the service road! Well, our administration always solves the wrong problems anyway.

Just a few seconds before spotting the truck, I saw one lady trying to cross the ring road (because there still aren't pedestrian overbridges) to catch a bus and getting hit by a bike. Luckily for both, the lady managed to get up. And then the fight started. And then I sped away. Even though I was on the other side of the road, who knows, these people may blame me for causing the accident because I am in a bigger vehicle!

Last edited by rohanjf : 1st October 2014 at 08:05.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed