Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 08:29   #6721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
It looks like the driver didn't see the hump on the 6-lane road. It's so funny that a hump is put on ring road instead of the service road!
It is at a spot just before a gap in the separator allows traffic from the service road merge onto to the main carriageway. It is especially useful for law-abiding people coming from Doddanekundi side and taking the southbound ORR (this involves two 180-degree turns, one to the left in front of Malgudi and the other a regular U-turn in front of ISRO).
Old 1st October 2014, 11:00   #6722
BHPian

Yes, noticed the truck's disaster with the Shogun/Malgudi "hump"/speedbreaker. I agree that this speedbreaker is needed, but it is poorly marked. The truck was probably speeding during late night, and didn't see it until it was too late.
Old 1st October 2014, 11:08   #6723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Yes, noticed the truck's disaster with the Shogun/Malgudi "hump"/speedbreaker. I agree that this speedbreaker is needed, but it is poorly marked.
Mind you, I am in principle completely against speedbreakers - marked or not. A better design for this spot would be to move the U-turn spot a few metres northwards and make it a regular T-junction. Then install signals so that traffic coming from Doddanekkundi can take a normal right turn onto southbound ORR.
Old 1st October 2014, 11:14   #6724
BHPian

Plan to travel to Coorg from Bangalore Airport tomorrow via Mysore Highway. Whats the best way to reach NICE road from the airport?
Old 1st October 2014, 11:22   #6725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Plan to travel to Coorg from Bangalore Airport tomorrow via Mysore Highway. Whats the best way to reach NICE road from the airport?
At the Hebbal flyover, follow signs to Tumkur. This is the point when the elevated expressway ends and the jams begin. Stick to the middle of the road since that is where the exit is. Extreme right will see you heading into Bangalore
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 12:04   #6726
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I think recent developments in Tamil Nadu has prompted lot of folks to cancel their trip back home/tourism trips.
Yes that's the reason just that I did not mention it explicitly as I thought it was obvious
Not sure if the outcome of today's court hearing will change the situation.
Old 1st October 2014, 12:34   #6727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Mind you, I am in principle completely against speedbreakers - marked or not. A better design for this spot would be to move the U-turn spot a few metres northwards and make it a regular T-junction. Then install signals so that traffic coming from Doddanekkundi can take a normal right turn onto southbound ORR.
And I am completely against U-turns Well, U-turns on high speed carriageways that block high speed lanes on both sides. U-turns are feasible only on low density and low speed internal roads, not something like ORR which is supposed to move humongous number of vehicles almost throughout the day at high speeds. Traffic that wants to take a U, should be branched off from the slowest, left-most lane, put on a ramp or directed under the main road , and merged on to the slowest lane on the other side.

Why can't we have free U-turns under flyovers/over underpasses/have a special underpass for U, like they have on Delhi ring-road? And leave the main road for high speed traffic that goes straight. And yes, free U-turns, not the Einstein like planned U-turns below the famous Bellandur flyover pair.

Traffic signals on ORR are also a no-no. ORR should be kept signal free. Why intersect high volume traffic when there are methods to merge them cleanly? Bangalore has to move on from its small town like traffic planning, which is meant for, well, small town-like traffic.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 13:17   #6728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure if the outcome of today's court hearing will change the situation.
Bail plea moved to Oct 7th as the APP had to prepare his points based on the special court verdict. But from what I hear life is normal in TN and at TN-KAR border.
Old 1st October 2014, 13:32   #6729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Why can't we have free U-turns under flyovers/over underpasses/have a special underpass for U, like they have on Delhi ring-road? And leave the main road for high speed traffic that goes straight. And yes, free U-turns, not the Einstein like planned U-turns below the famous Bellandur flyover pair.
What you are wishing for is a proper US like access controlled freeway in a city like bangalore? Even though it is the correct approach, it will never happen in bangalore. A properly access controlled freeway requires a lot of land for service roads, ramps etc. and also costs a lot more to build. Given that our govts would rather throw away money at so called social schemes, spending money for properly designed roads is last in their agenda.

For example, I go back to the time when hosur road was being widened. There was a small windows of opportunity to do the right thing, which was to build grade separators at every junction. But alas, what happened? We ended up with an elevated expressway which was totally unnecessary. Imagine the current hosur road with grade separators at bommanahalli, GB palya, Kudlu gate, Hosa road and E-City ph1 and 2 with one way service roads. All of the chaos that we witness today at Hosa road and E-city junctions would be reduced and it would have costed way less than the elevated expressway.

In our country, road designs are not made with doing the right thing in mind. They are made with contractors trying to make the most money while doing as less as possible.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 13:47   #6730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There is a simpler solution. Build a flyover (a proper one; not with exits between the two sides of the flyover) at Karthik Nagar.

At the moment, a lot of KSRTC Volvo buses come out of ISRO Layout and go towards Marathahalli. In doing so, they break all sorts of rules to avoid going all the way to Doddanekkundi to take U-turn.

The junction at Karthik Nagar is quite wide. It may create chaos for a year, but will give a permanent solution after that. When is the good time to build that flyover? I'd say, three years ago!
Old 1st October 2014, 13:54   #6731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
What you are wishing for is a proper US like access controlled freeway in a city like bangalore?
Yes, I dream of Utopia, and continue living in Bangalore

But seriously, they have to clean up the arterial roads or one day we would not be able to move an inch on them. Infact it happens in Ecospace, ORR jams flow over into office parking lots! A little congestion is acceptable but deadlocks are not, and these roads promote exactly that - collision and deadlocks.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 14:04   #6732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Bail plea moved to Oct 7th as the APP had to prepare his points based on the special court verdict. But from what I hear life is normal in TN and at TN-KAR border.
Good Good. Diwali plans on track, if you know what I mean
Old 1st October 2014, 14:52   #6733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I dream of Utopia, and continue living in Bangalore.
Its a kind of 'topia' alright, not 'U' though. The sudden nightly showers have left many roads in the heart of the city in squalor. The way the roads and medians are being planned in this city defies logic to the limits. For example :

a) Large prickly shrubs growing in the medians in Old Airport Road/Christ College road etc, and they are never trimmed even if the tiny wooden branches protrude over a feet from the median (really?). Also in an effort to show "planting" of trees, they plant them right under electric lines in the median and then later they hack the top to stunt growth resulting in branches that go upto 2 feet sideways.

b) Wasting funds creating 2ft tall concrete medians over existing 1 foot medians. It doesn't last 2 months in good condition as large trucks collide into them almost immediately. Again they are never straight and any collision makes them bend into the other lane which is impossible to repair.

c) In many places crossing the junction would take atleast 10-15 seconds but the yellow light lasts half a second, following which it becomes a free-for-all gridlock.

d) 2 wheelers are becoming resourceful(cheap) goods carriers these days, large 5 feet wide boxes, pipes, steel & perhaps even the kitchen sink literally. Its funny to see them navigate skilfully (couple of sideways bumps included). Of course its funny when you are watching from behind. Watching them creep up behind you jiggling and dancing is terrifying.

e) Every few weeks TOI would quote that BTP is going to bring sweeping reforms and make the roads safer. First make lanes and junctions easily motorable. Proposing sky-high fines can be thought of later.

It's indeed a nightmare to drive in such conditions, specially after 5-6 pm. Yes I know the volume of 2 wheelers and public transport is high, people need to get around afterall. Like I've said before only a collective initiative can work, where there is apathy there is dystopia. It's never the city's fault, its those who are a part of it.

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st October 2014 at 15:12. Reason: Refining Grammar
Old 1st October 2014, 15:14   #6734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why can't we have free U-turns under flyovers/over underpasses/have a special underpass for U, like they have on Delhi ring-road?
For that to work smoothly, the service roads have to be one-way. Otherwise the on-coming traffic will intersect U-turn lanes. But our service roads are not designed to be one-ways.
Quote:
Why intersect high volume traffic when there are methods to merge them cleanly?
Merge cleanly? Give them a break . That is an alien concept. We have 4 lanes which suddenly become 2 lanes, slow lane which merges into fast lane on right, bus stops at junctions - smooth traffic slow seem to be last priority for city planners.
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:25   #6735
BHPian

What a day to drive in Bangalore City! Whitefield to HSR took 30 mins during peak hours- wish it were like this everyday. I have never seen the Kundalahalli gate junction so devoid of traffic. This is how it looked at 4pm today.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412351745.129286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks