Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 23:10   #6736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
And I am completely against U-turns [...] Traffic that wants to take a U, should be branched off from the slowest, left-most lane, put on a ramp or directed under the main road , and merged on to the slowest lane on the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
There is a simpler solution. Build a flyover (a proper one; not with exits between the two sides of the flyover) at Karthik Nagar.
Well, I didn't ask for a flyover at Karthik Nagar as I didn't expect there's a real necessity for that. I'd rather they spent that money on clearing the mess on top of Marathahalli bridge (a decent right-turn option for traffic from all four directions?).
Old 5th October 2014, 19:24   #6737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
What a day to drive in Bangalore City! Whitefield to HSR took 30 mins during peak hours- wish it were like this everyday. I have never seen the Kundalahalli gate junction so devoid of traffic. This is how it looked at 4pm today.
Our wish will be short lived after Oct 7th when all the folks would have returned from their home towns/ vacation places as some companies are closed for Bakrid too.
Old 5th October 2014, 21:56   #6738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Our wish will be short lived after Oct 7th when all the folks would have returned from their home towns/ vacation places as some companies are closed for Bakrid too.
Add the polite and disciplined school crowd too!!
Old 6th October 2014, 15:51   #6739
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, traffic at the end of a long holiday weekend must be seen to be believed.
Came back from Bekal via CR Patna last evening. The 3 toll booths on NH48 between CR Patna and Nelamangala were totally chaotic. There were 2 line of cars trying to get into each toll booth
At the Devihalli toll plaza, they did a smart thing to control the craziness - they added 2 of the booths (generally used for the other direction) and made it 6 booths for the traffic coming towards Bangalore.
However, after the last toll there was a 2Km traffic jam as everyone was trying to turn right and merge onto NH4 towards Nelamangala/Bangalore.
There were vehicles in every nook & cranny of the road all vying for the available space to turn right. To add to the woes, it had rained heavily and stopped so there were puddles of water all around as well.
Old 6th October 2014, 16:02   #6740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

At the moment, a lot of KSRTC Volvo buses come out of ISRO Layout and go towards Marathahalli. In doing so, they break all sorts of rules to avoid going all the way to Doddanekkundi to take U-turn.

!
I agree with your suggestion, there should have been a flyover at this junction in Karthik nagar some years back as the road is really wide and the U turn below the flyover would have been much better.

There is no 'U turn' at the Doddanekundi Signal specifically, for the heavy vehicles, but no one follows it as a matter of fact. There is a flyover sanctioned at this place too, I wonder when that mess would start.
Old 6th October 2014, 16:46   #6741
Senior - BHPian

Here are two Google Maps images I took and marked them with red lines to indicate illegal turns and green lines to indicate legal/logical routes. Won't a flyover solve this problem permanently, as long as there is a signal below the flyover?

It's only the poor to pathetic design of service roads and exits that compounds the problem further. Straight going traffic always has to wait for some idiots looking for short cuts.

Name:  1.png
Views: 830
Size:  972.2 KB

Name:  2.png
Views: 789
Size:  730.4 KB
Old 6th October 2014, 18:03   #6742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wow, traffic at the end of a long holiday weekend must be seen to be believed.
Came back from Bekal via CR Patna last evening. The 3 toll booths on NH48 between CR Patna and Nelamangala were totally chaotic. There were 2 line of cars trying to get into each toll booth
At the Devihalli toll plaza, they did a smart thing to control the craziness - they added 2 of the booths (generally used for the other direction) and made it 6 booths for the traffic coming towards Bangalore.
However, after the last toll there was a 2Km traffic jam as everyone was trying to turn right and merge onto NH4 towards Nelamangala/Bangalore.
There were vehicles in every nook & cranny of the road all vying for the available space to turn right. To add to the woes, it had rained heavily and stopped so there were puddles of water all around as well.
Even I was victim of this yesterday. First time happened to go out during long weekends and probably this would the last time. Usually I go to all shopping malls during long weekend's as they will be empty. Else take an extra day off and return back to Bangalore.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 06:44   #6743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Even I was victim of this yesterday. First time happened to go out during long weekends and probably this would the last time. Usually I go to all shopping malls during long weekend's as they will be empty. Else take an extra day off and return back to Bangalore.
That's what we used to do. Take an extra 2 days off or so, and leave a day early, come back a day late. Other option we tried was leave a day before the madness and then get back a day early so we can relax and settle before starting the grind again.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 10:15   #6744
BHPian

Quote:
Here are two Google Maps images I took and marked them with red lines to indicate illegal turns and green lines to indicate legal/logical routes. Won't a flyover solve this problem permanently, as long as there is a signal below the flyover?

It's only the poor to pathetic design of service roads and exits that compounds the problem further. Straight going traffic always has to wait for some idiots looking for short cuts.
You will need a three-tier flyover if you want entry to and exit from Doddanakkunti without disrupting the ORR traffic!

I had endured that particular piece of road for eight years, always taking the "S" turn to exit Doddanakkunti and head towards Silk Board. It will be a rare day when I don't find a wise guy or gal heading the opposite way. I always say to myself that these are unskilled drivers who are unable to take a proper "U" turn, let alone back to back U-s. (Actually I had witnessed several messing up of U-turns in front of Shogun/Malgudi)
Old 9th October 2014, 09:27   #6745
Senior - BHPian

Surprised !!! No rant today? Especially after incessant rains for the past 2-3 days. I have started getting pictures in e-mails. Of cars in various parts of Bangalore city going in water like a motor boat .
Old 9th October 2014, 09:37   #6746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Surprised !!! No rant today? Especially after incessant rains for the past 2-3 days. I have started getting pictures in e-mails. Of cars in various parts of Bangalore city going in water like a motor boat .
Actually there was no chock-a-block traffic today, especially after the heavy rain yesterday. Looks like many are staying at home!
Old 9th October 2014, 10:03   #6747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Yesterday - one of those days when I on a whim, decided to take the two-wheeler to office. Had some meetings etc. so it was nearing 10 PM when I started back. It was raining pretty badly then, so had to leave the scooter in the office parking and call a cab (Uber, 1 minute). Got stuck in a stand-still jam between the two HAL police stations on Old Airport Road. Eventually the cabbie managed to turn back and we took Wind Tunnel Road (and fortunately, didn't drown in front of DRDO). The Old Airport Road jam hadn't cleared till about 12:30 AM or so - I had to go and pick up my f-i-l who came in the Shatabdi and took a bus from Majestic to Marathahalli.
Old 9th October 2014, 10:06   #6748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Actually there was no chock-a-block traffic today, especially after the heavy rain yesterday. Looks like many are staying at home!
I came here expecting a long rant. But this proved quite unexpected! :P

That said, my commute was hopeless today. Victoria Layout to Whitefield took me close to 1.5 hours by bike. The number of traffic jams through Old Airport Road seem to have increased. I know not why. The roads have taken a royal beating. Marathahalli Bridge was crawling! I had to come through AECS Layout to save some blushes at the office.

I think I will try the Old Madras Road route tomorrow.
Old 9th October 2014, 10:07   #6749
BHPian

The scene last night on the inner ring road near Dell. The road was totally flooded. Apologies in advance if images do not load, ranting from mobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image.jpg  

Old 9th October 2014, 10:28   #6750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
The Old Airport Road jam hadn't cleared till about 12:30 AM or so - I had to go and pick up my f-i-l who came in the Shatabdi and took a bus from Majestic to Marathahalli.
From what I heard, even the state Home Minister had fun time yesterday . In the Air Port Road stretch and in the Inner Ring Road area. Both these places were heavily flooded. My prime suspect is the clogged drains in the area. Water has no way to get out of the area. Water logging seems to be one of the biggest causes for road blocks in Bangalore. BTW, a hurricane/storm is developing in Bay of Bengal. People say that this low pressure brings in more rain clouds to Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks