Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 12:03   #6871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

By the way, isn't it criminal negligence on the part of concerned authorities, if someone dies due to an accident caused by improperly maintained roads? Why can't civil police arrest the engineers and charge them with involuntary manslaughter?
It is and that is what happened with the BDA engineers responsible for the Intel flyover mishap where quite a few people have been injured or killed. There was a criminal case registered against them, though not sure what happened post that.
Old 21st October 2014, 13:41   #6872
BHPian

I see a lot of traffic updates on this thread. Given that we are ranting on the traffic situation in Bangalore, for what its worth, how about us using a dedicated platform like Waze to help each other out? I've been using it for a week now and find it to be an excellent tool. Being croudsourced, almost all updates happen near to real-time as well. We have commuters here who cross the city on a daily basis, why not make it to good use? Lets make a difference,however small it may be, instead of ranting/complaining? I sincerely urge fellow bhpians to use Waze. Its a free service. Lets make use of it.
Old 21st October 2014, 14:15   #6873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
how about us using a dedicated platform like Waze to help each other out?
I expect several people here are already on Waze. I am.
Old 21st October 2014, 17:08   #6874
BHPian

See waze updates about heavy traffic at ORR, doddanakundi and on hosur rd to electronic city from about 4 30 Holiday rush started already?
Old 21st October 2014, 19:31   #6875
Senior - BHPian

Hosa road junction in hosur road is choked like anything across kms. Even with a 2 wheeler I cannot inch ahead. Live!
Old 21st October 2014, 20:09   #6876
BHPian

I recently started using Waze, but I'm unable to figure out its significance. I cannot see traffic alerts until I'm stuck in one, that too on ORR, where I would expect a lot of Wazers to be present. Most of the times its me who has uploaded dense traffic updates. Now, this data is present on Google maps automatically, without any user needing to upload traffic info, and I feel is much more updated and accurate than Waze traffic info.

Yes, Waze has tools where one can update location of traffic policemen, speed cameras, but if I look at inaccuracy in traffic reporting and such less number of active reporters, all the other small things are even more prone to be missed out.
Old 21st October 2014, 20:44   #6877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I enter Cubbon Park from Vidhana Soudha side and then take the Vittal Malya road to reach Richmond Circle. On return I take the St Marks road and I totally agree with you.

Traffic crawls even at 1pm and 10pm here and roads with so much wide footpaths (where you seldom have pedestrian activity) have gone narrowest.
I use the same route. On a similar note,I wanted to find out if you also felt that the width of the footpath(so called TENDERSure project) is really going to cause more pain than gain ?
Is there something we can bring to the attention of the authorities ? Any ideas ?The same problem is there at the end of Cunningham Road, i.e near Le Meridian - now that the footpath is almost ready, if two cars are parked on either side , no vehicle can pass - or a LMV can barely pass - this is going to cause traffic jams - for sure.

Also, many folks are using the footpath to park two wheelers - it is almost like the footpath has been made for them

raghu
Old 21st October 2014, 22:24   #6878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Hosa road junction in hosur road is choked like anything across kms. Even with a 2 wheeler I cannot inch ahead. Live!
Got stuck in it as the main road, and service roads on both sides were jammed. Took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to cover 5.5 Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
I recently started using Waze, but I'm unable to figure out its significance. I cannot see traffic alerts until I'm stuck in one, that too on ORR, where I would expect a lot of Wazers to be present. Most of the times its me who has uploaded dense traffic updates. Now, this data is present on Google maps automatically, without any user needing to upload traffic info, and I feel is much more updated and accurate than Waze traffic info.

Yes, Waze has tools where one can update location of traffic policemen, speed cameras, but if I look at inaccuracy in traffic reporting and such less number of active reporters, all the other small things are even more prone to be missed out.
For me its the same experience, except that the roles are reversed. I see that GMaps updates are slower, and Waze comes up with more recent updates, faster. I think it depends on the route that you take and the number of active users in that route.
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:48   #6879
BHPian

There is a news article in Bangalore Mirror today on plans for easing Silkboard Junction :

CSB nine-point improvement programme
1. Half a kilometre of -widening from BTM layout 29th main to CSB
2. Footpaths to be remodelled so that one more lane can be added
3. Bus stops to be shifted further down HSR and Hosur roads
4. U-turn for vehicles coming from Bommanahalli so that they can turn without entering CSB
5. BMTC buses banned from stopping on the road
6. Grills to be erected all across the road so that pedestrian movement is restricted.
7. CSB Junction and median remodelling.
8. CSB flyover asphalting
9. Police umbrella to be shifted with clear marking for pedestrian crossing

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../44892520.cms?

Let us hope for the best
andydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:01   #6880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
Let us hope for the best
More like let's start praying. I am tired of crossing this section every night! Even at 9:30 PM, it is chockablock traffic. They should also kick out all the private buses that stop at Madiwala. That itself will fix half the problems!
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:36   #6881
BHPian

Quote:
There is a news article in Bangalore Mirror today on plans for easing Silkboard Junction :

CSB nine-point improvement programme ...
Wasn't a U-turn already there under silk board flyover, for vehicles coming from Bommanahalli, which is currently closed?

And what are the pedestrians, who want to cross the road, supposed to do? Grow wings and fly over the traffic? Why can't these guys build a foot overbridge first, and then put up a fence?

Banned buses from stopping on road? Well this can be easily overlooked. First, no one will enforce this "ban". Bus drivers will not learn by themselves, and the passengers will still stand in the middle of the road to catch a bus. This ban is pretty much like ban on smoking in public.
Old 23rd October 2014, 13:53   #6882
BHPian

No rants on the Bangalore traffic since morning, Nice. Less number of vehicles and a pleasant traffic do make up for working on a holiday.
Old 23rd October 2014, 14:24   #6883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know that somebody is indeed think on those lines.
Old 23rd October 2014, 14:48   #6884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
No rants on the Bangalore traffic since morning, Nice. Less number of vehicles and a pleasant traffic do make up for working on a holiday.
True! while driving i was thinking how the same road would be on Monday:-( and then decided not to think about it.
Old 23rd October 2014, 14:55   #6885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
True! while driving i was thinking how the same road would be on Monday:-( and then decided not to think about it.
Yeah, the same thought occurred to me as well. No point worrying about Monday when you can enjoy today. I just hope that I haven't jinxed it.

Most Viewed