Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 11:24   #7216
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
So, now what is the point of having RxDx Hospital there if you cannot reach it without taking long detours? :-) I suppose with Vydehi on one side and Brookefield on the other, RxDx should simply shut shop.
Can confirm this now: You can take a U Turn & Right coming from Kundalahalli at RxDx. However, if leaving from RxDx or the adjoining lane, Right and U turn is not allowed. Saw so many vehicles wanting to do so asked to take the U Turn at the Hanuman temple.
Actually a couple of really funny scenes where some cabs came up the wrong way flashing lights and what not only to be denied that right by a lady manning the intersection there. And, Boy was she stood her ground or what

Meanwhile Grpahite India signal is back to its usual long wait times right now.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 24th November 2014 at 11:27.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:35   #7217
BHPian

Took the KR Puram-Phoenix-Hoodi-Graphite road to my office near RxDx. I was on a scooter and I sailed through traffic all the was up to KHT Motors near Graphite. Then within 10 minutes the traffic cleared and I made it to office. It used to take about 50 minutes on my 2 wheeler to cover the same distance. Did this in 35 minutes today.

Only warning signs are the public criss-crossing to the other road to connect with Graphite.

Also, I took a U-turn near the IOC petrol pump on EPIP road. Didn't see any sign for not taking a U-turn. And couple of my colleagues in car were asked to go all the way to Vaidehi to take the turn.

Let's hope this works out for every one.

P.S: Off Topic, I read about a group which was patching up Bangalore's road about a year back on their own. Just like what Ugly Indian does, but only filling up potholes and uneven roads. Anyone knows the name of that NGO/Group?

Last edited by creative420 : 24th November 2014 at 11:46.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:57   #7218
BANNED

Seeing an interesting breed of jaywalkers off late on the road. Earlier, I used to see people with their earphones plugged in, listening to music and crossing the roads at will, I thought that was bad but at least they had their eyes on the road. Off late, I see a lot of people with the earphones plugged in and then their eyes on the phone, either texting or something, but they are not even looking at the road. I mean, has technology made people this stupid?
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:46   #7219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Off late, I see a lot of people with the earphones plugged in and then their eyes on the phone, either texting or something, but they are not even looking at the road. I mean, has technology made people this stupid?
I would call this INNOVATE WAYS OF COMMITTING SUICIDE
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 13:08   #7220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing an interesting breed of jaywalkers off late on the road. Earlier, I used to see people with their earphones plugged in, listening to music and crossing the roads at will, I thought that was bad but at least they had their eyes on the road. Off late, I see a lot of people with the earphones plugged in and then their eyes on the phone, either texting or something, but they are not even looking at the road. I mean, has technology made people this stupid?
Worse, morons who are riding enthusiastically with their headphones on, helmets as elbow-shields and swerving in and out of moving traffic. So much so they cannot even hear anyone honking. Death wish?
Old 24th November 2014, 13:15   #7221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Worse, morons who are riding enthusiastically with their headphones on, helmets as elbow-shields and swerving in and out of moving traffic. So much so they cannot even hear anyone honking. Death wish?
They invariably won't have the mirrors too - it's the others' responsibility to save their lives, while these nincompoops showcase their zigzag manoeuvres at break-neck speeds (pun intended) in thick traffic.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 16:48   #7222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can take the trains from City Railway Station/Byappanahalli or K R Puram depending on which one is closer. One can also go up to Whitefield station and take a bus to ITPL.
I did explore this option and even tried it once for a return trip from Whitefield station to Bangalore East station (Live in Cox Town). Reaching Whitefield station was super easy as there are plenty of buses from Itpl that terminate at Kadugodi bus stand. They are empty too. Next is the 500m walk to the station from the bus stand. I could get used to this by factoring some time. The next part was waiting for the train and I had planned for this based on the schedule. What I was not prepared for was a train that was bursting with people. I got in and the only place I could find was near the toilets. I was in a can of sardines. It was hot as hell inside. The fragrance of sweat mixed with that of the toilet, it was bad. Then started the journey, in a hot and noisy compartment. The train was pulled over at what looked like Mahadevpura cause I could see Counter Culture. This stop, as I have come to learn is primarily to serve the chaps working at the diesel locomotive shed in Krishnarajpuram. I don't think it is possible to buy a ticket at/to this make shift station. There was some relief when we got to Krpuram. Lot of folks got down and there was space to move around. No place to sit though. Its okay as the commute distance and time is about half an hour, if the train runs on time. I reached Bangalore East and it felt good. Now comes the auto guys as my house is about 1.5km from the station. Consider yourself as the prey with a bunch of vultures all aimed right at you. Sure, I can walk and reach home in about 20min. Rs. 50 was the minimum demand. I ditched the auto ride and walked home.

Now, I was supposed to save a ton of time and frustration with the train ride but that is far from the case. The train trip was manageable and I think I can do it. When I look at time saved, it is none. Besides, I need to equip myself with a bus and train pass to avoid the hassle of dealing with change. Then there is the auto ride home. If I factor the auto ride, I spend about Rs. 75-80 bucks one way and it still takes me a shade over an hour to reach home.

My wife takes the train from Heelalige (Near E City) to Banaswadi every day on her way back from work. She has the cab too but the train saves a ton of time. Again, there are problems of reaching Heelalige station from her office. She is lucky as there are a bunch of colleagues who take the train so they have all booked a Chevrolet Tavera on a monthly basis to ferry them. It is quite safe too. Banaswadi is about 2km from our house. Rs. 60-80 is the minimum so I go pick her up every day. Effective travel time is still about an hour. Better than being in the cab for sure.

As much as I would love to user faster, cheaper and more efficient ways to travel, this is not one that works for me that well.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th November 2014 at 16:58.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 16:53   #7223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Yes, I came to ITPL by the BMTC chartered ITPL bus. Big bazaar has a BIIIIIIIg jam all the way till Sathya Sai Hospital.

Trust me it is lot easier commuting by train.
That is truly because of the electric train facility that you were using in Chennai and the same culture has grown on you.

I remember traveling in Chennai in the train for such long distance covering within a very short span of time and at the end of the day, i paid very very little for the travel. I wish we had such facilities in Bangalore. Even though the Metro may come up in future extensively, I don't think it would be cost effective like that of Chennai.

Last edited by rki2007 : 24th November 2014 at 16:54.
Old 24th November 2014, 17:15   #7224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
They invariably won't have the mirrors too - it's the others' responsibility to save their lives, while these nincompoops showcase their zigzag manoeuvres at break-neck speeds (pun intended) in thick traffic.
The no mirror phenomenon is common with cars too, most of them either have the left side ORVM closed or both of them closed and what I have also observed is that their cars have less dents and scratches and I wonder how.
Guess, the other people (like me) are scared of going anywhere near them or take evasive actions when they come close and hence they are always safe. I cannot even dream of driving around without the mirrors.
Old 24th November 2014, 19:39   #7225
BHPian

Quote:
The no mirror phenomenon is common with cars too, most of them either have the left side ORVM closed or both of them closed and what I have also observed is that their cars have less dents and scratches and I wonder how.
Guess, the other people (like me) are scared of going anywhere near them or take evasive actions when they come close and hence they are always safe. I cannot even dream of driving around without the mirrors.
Where the dents are often cleaned up, dents arent visible?!
Old 24th November 2014, 19:40   #7226
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Where the dents are often cleaned up, dents arent visible?!
That is one theory as well. But people who do not care for safety, usually do not care for the cars as well, either theirs or the others on the road. That is what I feel.
Old 24th November 2014, 19:47   #7227
BHPian

So, did the regulations at whitefiled work? I felt it worked a bit, since the traffic at Marthahalli ORR was considerably less today
Old 24th November 2014, 20:04   #7228
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

From the picture of the Whitefield traffic plan, look at the circled portion for Hoodi junction:
When going from ITPL towards Hoodi signal, it seems possible to turn left, turn immediate right (look at the traingular portion), turn right to get back to ITPL road in other direction, then turn left towards Hoodi railway bridge/Devasandra ?
Looking at the arrows there this seems possible but was this allowed today ? Bigger question is, is it even practical to change so many lanes and get on to the Devasandra road ?
Old 24th November 2014, 21:11   #7229
BHPian

Had a close call just next to Nagwara lake heading towards Hebbal. I was following a canter, traffic was normal not heavy, was doing about 45-50 kmph. Just at the entrance of the Nagwara flyover the canter I was following stopped dead on its tracks and worst of all his tail lights didn't work so I was under the impression that he will move. A second later I slam the brakes knowing he's stopped, my wheels screech and started skidding, realised within the next second that a collision was apparent if I stayed on the same lane, yanked my steering wheel right and got onto the next lane that headed below the flyover. I came to a full stop a few meters after passing the canter. I signaled the canter driver and asked him what the hell happened? He said sorry boss and went on his way. I was in shock for a second then pulled myself together and moved forward.

What happened was that the canter was cut of on his lane by another bus which forced him to stop. If I didn't think fast then there would have been a full frontal collision, I have ABS installed yet they couldn't prevent the wheels from skidding but I sure could steer away with control. As a note to readers and member GET a car with ABS, it will help you. Do not skip on this vital component to save some vitamin M.
Old 25th November 2014, 02:42   #7230
Senior - BHPian

While the rants & appreciations continue on the newly made traffic changes at Kundanahalli junction, here is a small news that would surely make us, road users, happy.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/45237536.cms

A small excerpt:

Quote:
To stanch further losses from operating the Tata Marcopolo air-conditioned buses, the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) has decided to scrap 98 such buses inducted under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JnNURM).
By operating these buses for close to five years, the Corporation incurred a loss of Rs 30 crore.
For every one kilometre, the Corporation incurs a loss of Rs 27 on each bus. Ever since the buses were inducted into the fleet, BMTC had received many complaints from the general public relating to emission of dark smoke, back engine noise, poor air-conditioning, among others. Very recently, the Corporation had taken a decision to convert these buses into non-AC ones.Though five buses were initially converted, hardly anyone preferred to travel in them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks