Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 13:20   #7396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I feel it is plain stupid to convert wide roads (by Indian standard) with central median to one way. This leads to under utilization of available space and keep more vehicles on road for more time due to deviations. After initial euphoria I think even Phase one is not helping much. The bottle neck shifted from Graphite to nearby intersections. The one near Sterling Brookside apartment bearing the major brunt.
Old 31st December 2014, 12:32   #7397
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Heard this from a friend today, no idea about it's authenticity though

The Whitefield Phase 2 traffic plan was just a test to find the impact of traffic diversion changes on these roads in preparation for the Metro work that is expected to commence soon
Old 31st December 2014, 13:04   #7398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Whitefield Phase 2 traffic plan was just a test to find the impact of traffic diversion changes on these roads in preparation for the Metro work that is expected to commence soon
In that case I would congratulate BTP for at least trying out an alternate plan well in advance. There is no other way BTP could "simulate" what happens when Metro work starts. So with Phase II not working out, I am sure they would now work on another alternative.
Old 31st December 2014, 13:27   #7399
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There is no other way BTP could "simulate" what happens when Metro work starts. So with Phase II not working out, I am sure they would now work on another alternative.
Yes, I think we can hear on this soon but why I was hearing this was because I had this small ray of hope that the Mahadevapura Road would be widened before work on the Metro line started. Last I heard, this widening plan had run into rough weather over land acquisition.
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:56   #7400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I think we can hear on this soon but why I was hearing this was because I had this small ray of hope that the Mahadevapura Road would be widened before work on the Metro line started. Last I heard, this widening plan had run into rough weather over land acquisition.
The main problem with Bangalore is the road width. I was in chennai last week wherein i roamed quite a bit. My observation is roads in chennai are far more wider than those in bangalore. Moreover the biggest advantage in chennai lies in the fact that we do have many alternate roads in the interiors unlike bangalore. Also traffic management in chennai is better than bangalore
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:09   #7401
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the new year gift from BBMP, BTP and BMRCL for Whitefield commuters:
Metro work is planned to get start from 17th January. There is lot of resistance from local people (Mahadevapura, Hoodi etc) to finish the undergoing road expansion from Bypanahalli to Mahadevapura and then only start metro work. There may be a maximum delay of two weeks before metro work starts. BMRCL is very serious about their time lines hence decided to go ahead with their work. BBMP folks are celebrating new year hard and do not have time to repair the roads. Another shocking news is that BTP are planning to try again phase-2 traffic flow from next week .
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:12   #7402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The main problem with Bangalore is the road width. I was in chennai last week wherein i roamed quite a bit. My observation is roads in chennai are far more wider than those in bangalore. Moreover the biggest advantage in chennai lies in the fact that we do have many alternate roads in the interiors unlike bangalore. Also traffic management in chennai is better than bangalore

Old Bangalore, be it Jayanagar, Malleswaram, Rajajinagar even Indiranagar and Koramangala has many interior roads which you can take to beat the traffic. It is only in Whitefield, ORR etc. which is at the core of IT hub you will struggle with few man roads and absolutely no interior roads.

Unfortunately these areas have the highest traffic density and consequent traffic jams. I shudder to think what will happen once metro work commences in this stretch.
Ross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:43   #7403
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
BMRCL is very serious about their time lines hence decided to go ahead with their work.
Seriously ?
BMRCL postponed the already much postponed deadline from Sep 2015 to Q1, 2016. Can we expect them to keep up their word this time ? Only time will tell!

Links:
Sep 2015 deadline for Phase 1 - Link
Q1 2016 deadline for Phase 1 - Link

Last edited by NPV : 2nd January 2015 at 10:45.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:07   #7404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BMRCL postponed the already much postponed deadline from Sep 2015 to Q1, 2016. Can we expect them to keep up their word this time ?
Agreed, missed deadline is one part. Personally I feel Bangalore metro as such took a long time to be conceptualized.
I remember as early as 2004 there was discussion of civil work commencement in news paper, though I guess the actual work started many years later. This has obviously pushed the target completion date, which again is now delayed.

And on top of this, the said Whitefield route is not Phase -II but an extension of Phase - I, personally I feel this should have started much earlier along with the current Majestic - MG road - Bayiapanahalli route. This route should have ended either at Whitefield or further down towards Hoskote. Anyways, better late than never.

However, pace of civil work is not that bad I guess. The major reason for delay in Phase I was due to stalling of work due to a very badly managed status shifting near Vidhan Soudha. The already delayed tunnel boring due to this got delayed further when tunnel boring machine broke down.
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:18   #7405
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously ?
BMRCL postponed the already much postponed deadline from Sep 2015 to Q1, 2016. Can we expect them to keep up their word this time ? Only time will tell!

Links:
Sep 2015 deadline for Phase 1 - Link
Q1 2016 deadline for Phase 1 - Link
I said, they are serious about starting the work for phase-2 but not completing neither phase-1 or phase-2 on time
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:56   #7406
BANNED

Came across this article about a proposed flyover near the K.R.Puram hanging bridge. I am not sure what the plan is, but though it is surely needed, not sure where the place is to build it?

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../45654242.cms?
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:08   #7407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I said, they are serious about starting the work for phase-2 but not completing neither phase-1 or phase-2 on time
They just care about getting work started, funds allocated and contractors (who are usually family or friends) paid. To hell with actually completing anything. Why bother when the cheque's already in the bank?
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:24   #7408
BHPian

Today, I saw a new board in front of EMC on ORR that, HTVs are not allowed to enter city between 6AM till 10PM! I hope, it means HTVs are banned to enter on ORR too.
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:50   #7409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Today, I saw a new board in front of EMC on ORR that, HTVs are not allowed to enter city between 6AM till 10PM! I hope, it means HTVs are banned to enter on ORR too.
Saw these boards in 2~3 places along ORR... Today morning around 11 am, saw some ~10 trucks stopped near KR Pura railway station by BTP personals... Hope they enforce this on permanent basis..
sbalagru6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 20:18   #7410
Team-BHP Support

I hope they haven't left it at a vague 'not allowed inside city during so & so hours' directive. They should also define specific points beyond which HTVs are barred in the city during said hours, otherwise it will just become a mess of haphazardly parked trucks wherever they get caught on already choked arterial roads, and another cash cow for the thieving BTP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks