Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 07:31   #7411
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I hope the following belongs to this thread, if not request the mods to move it where necessary.

Came across this news in TOI. Hats off to Bengaluru. I am not sure if most of the Bangaloreans are aware of the below news.

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45746892.cms

Bengaluru stops as live heart races across

Quote:
BENGALURU: Once more, Bengaluru stopped and turned all signals green for a live heart transported from MS Ramaiah Hospital, in the north, to BGS Global Hospital, in the south - a distance of 24 km.

Balaji, 21, who met with a road accident on January 1 near Jalahalli Cross, was declared brain dead the next day. Doctors at Ramaiah Hospital, where Balaji was admitted, spoke to his family about donating his organs.

A matching recipient was found at BGS Global, where a 29-year-old man with a cardiac ailment was awaiting a heart transplant. The patient, from West Bengal, had registered himself with the Zonal Coordination Committee of Karnataka (ZCCK).

Traffic police switched on a green corridor as soon as the ambulance carrying Balaji's heart left Ramaiah Hospital at 9.50am. Ambulance diver Devaraju covered 24 km in 20 minutes.

"Balaji was initially taken to a hospital after the injury and then referred to Ramaiah Hospital. He was very critical with severe brain damage at the time of admission. On January 2, he was declared brain dead. His family agreed to donate his organs. ZCCK took over and ensured all necessary protocols were in place," the hospital spokesperson said.

The recipient, a goldsmith from Hooghly district, had suffered symptoms of heart failure for three years. He was on the waiting list for a suitable donor for the past two months at BGS Global.

Balaji's kidneys and corneas were also harvested. One kidney and the liver were sent to matching patients at Apollo Hospital, and the corneas were given to Lion's Eye Bank. The second kidney was successfully transplanted to another patient at Ramaiah Hospital, the hospital spokesperson said.

The heart transplant was conducted by a team of 15, including Dr Manoj SP, Dr Bharat Dubey and Dr Anand Subrahmanyam.

About Balaji's accident Dr Naresh Shetty B, president of Ramaiah Hospital, said: "It was a case of drunken driving after a New Year party. The other two (on Balaji's bike) escaped with minor injuries. The rider was not wearing a helmet despite strict policing. Apparently, the bike hit a road hump and the rider lost control. It only highlights that our road humps are badly designed. It's our request to the government to ensure all humps are scientifically designed or removed."

Balaji, son of a flower vendor at KR Market, has two sisters. His father died a year ago.

JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 08:59   #7412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I hope the following belongs to this thread, if not request the mods to move it where necessary.

Came across this news in TOI. Hats off to Bengaluru. I am not sure if most of the Bangaloreans are aware of the below news.
BTP had a video of how this was co-ordinated using the live cameras at various junctions.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 09:21   #7413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
BTP had a video of how this was co-ordinated using the live cameras at various junctions.
Wow! watching that video could be an awesome experience! Can someone provide me the link to that video?
Old 5th January 2015, 09:27   #7414
Distinguished - BHPian

Just another Media hype for something cops do on regular basis to VVIPs. They know they'll be at receiving end if they posted such "dutiful deeds" on FB.

Making a full length video of this Ambulance free run and posting Media reports about this all day earned them some browny points yesterday.

So don't worry, the video won't be hair raising one. Just drive normally and one day when you are stuck in jams letting a VVIP convoy pass, you'll get to witness this right in front of you with UHD clarity with your Natural eyes in 3D.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th January 2015 at 09:29.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 09:48   #7415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Wow! watching that video could be an awesome experience! Can someone provide me the link to that video?
Here is the video link on FB:
http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=791530417579334
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 10:14   #7416
Senior - BHPian

Just yesterday, there was a blockade on the Golf course road (ITC windsor side) upto the Shivananda circle. Possibly to accommodate the Chitrakala Parishath.
Later, when driving towards Hebbal, I came across a VIP convoy on the other side with about 15 red batti cars (towards city) with an ambulance to round it off. Must be the BJP National presi. Not sure.
Old 5th January 2015, 10:52   #7417
Senior - BHPian

Rude shock this morning after the bliss of the past couple of weeks. Took me the full 90 minutes to get from home (BSK 2nd Stage) to office (Marthahalli).

Sigh.

Life back to normal I guess

And no, there were not broken down buses or accidents along the route.
Old 5th January 2015, 11:12   #7418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Saw these boards in 2~3 places along ORR... Today morning around 11 am, saw some ~10 trucks stopped near KR Pura railway station by BTP personals... Hope they enforce this on permanent basis..
I guess its not just ORR. I saw this board near Kodathi gate in Sarjapur road. It was fixed to a police barricade on the road side. It had the timings (no entry between 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM) mentioned clearly , but not the end points.

Not sure whether this will stop the cement mixers and other trucks involved in moving the construction materials within the city.
Old 5th January 2015, 11:22   #7419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I hope they haven't left it at a vague 'not allowed inside city during so & so hours' directive. They should also define specific points beyond which HTVs are barred in the city during said hours
Well, the right types of noises were made when this plan was mooted a couple of months back:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/45103474.cms

3T limit, no exclusion for sand and construction material, CCTV monitored checkpoints at ingress roads... all sounds good on paper, at least.
Old 5th January 2015, 11:43   #7420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
3T limit, no exclusion for sand and construction material, CCTV monitored checkpoints at ingress roads... all sounds good on paper, at least.
I guess only Water Tankers (and a very few other) vehicles are exempted. Though such a move is required, a few random thoughts on why this may be opposed:-
1. Markets within city limits (Yeshwanthpur, KR Market etc.) may have issues in getting their stuff on time. Trucks will have to come in way before 0600Hrs and leave the city at least by 0600Hrs. Don't know current timings of theirs.
2. Pretty much all construction activity (and suburbs) in the city would come to a stand still. Or else every night they should have the supply of Concrete etc. ready for the next day's work. And if excavation activities (for huge malls, flats etc.) are going on, such work can only be carried out in the night. Because the soil pulled out by excavators have to be transported else where pretty much at the same time.
3. Truck owners and others who use trucks have started complaining that getting workers for loading and unloading trucks would now be a problem. People have to be paid extra for working in the night.
4. At least for some time, there may be chaos at points where trucks are asked to stop (and not enter the city). Many drivers may not know about this and would try to some how go forward.
Old 5th January 2015, 12:00   #7421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
And if excavation activities (for huge malls, flats etc.) are going on, such work can only be carried out in the night.
All sort of construction activity is already banned in between 10 PM and 6 AM:

http://www.commonfloor.com/guide/kar...ers-21743.html
Old 5th January 2015, 12:07   #7422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
All sort of construction activity is already banned in between 10 PM and 6 AM:
Excellent !!! . Then I am really doubtful on how any construction can ever happen in the city. Trucks taking out soil, or bringing raw material cannot enter the city during day time. And constructions cannot happen at night time.

Seems to be a case of one department in Bangalore city, NOT knowing operational orders given out by other departments, or courts.
Old 5th January 2015, 12:33   #7423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I hope they haven't left it at a vague 'not allowed inside city during so & so hours' directive. They should also define specific points beyond which HTVs are barred in the city during said hours, otherwise it will just become a mess of haphazardly parked trucks wherever they get caught on already choked arterial roads, and another cash cow for the thieving BTP.
Just as I thought, it's a random mess. All along the ORR, there are traffic policemen stopping trucks and moving them to the side (or service lanes wherever available). The entire service lane in front of HSR layout is blocked with commuters stuck between HTVs.
Old 5th January 2015, 16:23   #7424
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how Esteem Mall area looked with road leading into the city clogged all the way up till Hebbal flyover and beyond. All this at noon today!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hebbal_01.jpg

Had to quickly decide and make up my mind and glad it worked in my favor as I deviated to ORR to reach Electronics City. Barring KR Puram, everything was absolutely normal at this time of the day.

It happens only in Bangalore:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-silkboard.jpg

A Narrow Free left for traffic to pass towards Hosur/BETL from HSR Layout side and also a Free Bus Stand where you would normally witness haphazardly parked BMTC Buses leaving hardly a car's width to allow vehicles to pass.
Old 5th January 2015, 18:46   #7425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is how Esteem Mall area looked with road leading into the city clogged all the way up till Hebbal flyover and beyond. All this at noon today!
Yes, even I noticed that same today around 10:30 am. Took ORR and glad I made that decision

Day-by-day Hebbal is becoming a nightmare to cross.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks