Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 14:22   #7561
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
when 2 or 3 or 4 people start using the skywalk, then others would follow suit.
There are plenty of examples of existing sky-walks lying unused, even in convenient locations. Sunnyboi gave an example above and I see another regularly myself, the one near Diamond District (close to Domlur signal on HAL road), where people avoid the skywalk and jump the high metal barricaded divider or dance limbo through narrow gaps.

Quote:
Spouses are very imporant in lfe, they correctly correct you sometimes.
God bless alert spouses!

I get an 'Oye! Where's your helmet?' on the off chance I forget mine when walking out the door (she knows I'll be back 10 seconds later when I realize I've forgotten).

She also got herself one the day she shifted to Bangalore with me (she didn't ride earlier), and religiously wears it whenever we venture out on our bike, no reminders required.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 14:30   #7562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There are plenty of examples of existing sky-walks lying unused, even in convenient locations. Sunnyboi gave an example above and I see another regularly myself, the one near Diamond District (close to Domlur signal on HAL road), where people avoid the skywalk and jump the high metal barricaded divider or dance limbo through narrow gaps.
Even not many takers for the underpass in Bommanahalli. I have seen people dodge vehicles before going to the other side of the road. It is a case of I MISS, I GET KNOCKED DOWN.
Old 29th January 2015, 14:54   #7563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Update on Whitefield Area Roads: It seems now it is BWSSB's turn after the Optical Fiber folks to screw the already horrible Whitefield roads
If this trend continues, by monsoon we all may need to drive vehicles with >200mm ground clearance
During the last spell of rains we had, I saw a volvo bus getting stuck in the slush on the road near the varthur circle and I am sure it has >200mm ground clearance.
Whenever I see the roads in whitefield, I think tractors might be the only option to commute if the current situation continues for another year.

It might be a wise idea to invest in a tractor dealership if you have enough capital lying around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Add to that, the left lane of the entire stretch was dug up recently for pipe-laying work, and has never been repaired.
This has rendered the left lane almost useless, unless some heavy vehicle / TT / Sumos who can still ply on this side.
Today was a new low on this stretch. It took around an hour to reach brand factory at marathalli from the star bazar near kundalahalli gate. One hour for a distance of around 2-3 kms!
The jam on the entire stretch was due to just one u-turn in front of brand factory. In the other direction, this jam extended till HAL police station!
Thankfully, I had taken the bmtc volvo and not my car. It took more than 2 hours for the bus to cover the 18 kms from my home in whitefield to richmond circle even after some maniacal driving from the bus driver.
Old 30th January 2015, 09:07   #7564
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this Force Traveller cab recently - the sticker says "I'm God, God is Great". It is from a popular movie that released few years ago but I just hope the sticker is there for the love of the movie/actor and does not actually mean/hint at what the driver is thinking, but then I can only hope!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-godreally.jpg
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 17:42   #7565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
hope the sticker does not actually mean/hint at what the driver is thinking
Lets see what you think of a sticker I saw in a private owned vehicle maybe a year back, so "effective" was its message that I remember it - "If you're bad, I'm your dad", and I do think it was his life philosophy.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 21:37   #7566
BHPian

Karnataka to hold road traffic census from Feb 19 ,Census will be held on state highways and major district roads
The objective of the census is to assess the traffic volume on different category of roads in the state, which will enable the Government to take decisions for improvements to existing roads, upgradation of roads to the higher categories, surface improvements and widening of roads among others.
Source -Business Standard
Old 1st February 2015, 23:35   #7567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Zzzzz. Just look what happened in front of Christ College.
I'll vouch for this. I study in Christ and I force my friends to use the skywalk sometimes. No one finds it worth their while to spend an extra two minutes walking up more stairs. :/
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:36   #7568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
I'll vouch for this. I study in Christ and I force my friends to use the skywalk sometimes. No one finds it worth their while to spend an extra two minutes walking up more stairs. :/
I saw a traffic warden this morning being very stern, literally scolding and humiliating a couple of Christ students into using the Skywalk to get to college.

Why does it need someone (seemingly) in authority to do this for people to use the skywalk? Isn't it the easier and safer option?

I am pretty sure that, come tomorrow, in the absence of a scolding from the traffic warden, those two students will dart across the road playing chicken with traffic.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:15   #7569
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
......Why does it need someone (seemingly) in authority to do this for people to use the..........
We wear helmets for the police guy, belt up for him, follow rules for his sake. What's a life worth when we'll be reborn anyway?

</sarcasm>

Reminds me of an oft-repeated but forever valid joke about Indians. We spend tens-of-thousands on the latest gadgets, then buy expensive protective films/cases to protect scratch-proof Gorilla glass and metal-clad phone bodies, but think twice (if ever) about buying proper helmets for our unprotected, skin & bones head.

Why bother? We can always get another head online (probably a rare, special one in one of those invite-only sales). It's the phone that needs protection, right?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd February 2015 at 13:17.
Old 2nd February 2015, 14:09   #7570
BHPian

There is a traffic pile up at Marthahalli, under the bridge on ORR. I was told there was an accident and a tanker was involved. I saw a crane going there to clear it now. Have not seen what happened there. So be prepared if you are planning to pass thru.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 14:18   #7571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
There is a traffic pile up at Marthahalli, under the bridge on ORR. I was told there was an accident and a tanker was involved. I saw a crane going there to clear it now. Have not seen what happened there. So be prepared if you are planning to pass thru.
Its a cement tanker which has turned turtle. Credits to BHPian Parthasarathig for the pictures and report

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20150202wa0038.jpg
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:54   #7572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Don't think it has been cleared yet. I see traffic crawling from marathahalli right upto ecospace and building further. Big mess on the service roads near prestige and cessna business park. If you are leaving from ecospace towards marathahalli, hebbal, old airport road side probably makes sense to go
Via yamalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Its a cement tanker which has turned turtle. Credits to BHPian Parthasarathig for the pictures and report

Attachment 1335520
Old 2nd February 2015, 18:14   #7573
BHPian

Wow. Skilled driver to topple a truck on that road. I seriously dont know where are we heading to.
Old 2nd February 2015, 18:22   #7574
BHPian

Horrible traffic jam around Prestige Tech Park & Kadubisenahalli underpass. Underpass, road above it and both side service roads are all clogged. took me 1 hr to cross this stretch. Please avoid this section at this point of time if possible.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 2nd February 2015 at 18:23.
Old 2nd February 2015, 21:13   #7575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Horrible traffic jam around Prestige Tech Park & Kadubisenahalli underpass. Underpass, road above it and both side service roads are all clogged.
I am stuck on old airport road towards Whitefield. The pile up starts right from HAL helicopter division and there seems to be no end in sight! :banghead:
Things were better during the short duration when the truck ban was implemented. Too bad that our spineless govt has to revert it.
Does anyone know if another vehicle was involved in the truck incident as well? Given the general traffic around that area and the state of the truck, it is unlikely that the truck would have turned turtle without affecting other vehicles around! :o

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks