Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 10:16   #7606
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I need to go to Mahadevpura, Whitefield today in the evening around 5PM from Mysore Road. Which would be the best route during that time so that I can avoid the traffic chaos and reach on time?
I would personally suggest to take the city route via Museum Road-MG Road-Ulsoor-Old Madras Road-Mahdevpura. This is your best bet as the most other parts of city (like NICE Road -SilkBoard-Doddankundi-Mahdevpura etc ) will be choked beyond your imagination due to IT traffic moving in all possible directions in these areas but the recommended route generally and I repeat generally is relatively less clogged in the evening coming from the city to Mahadevpura. There is a chance you may find it all clear at 5pm in that direction. And avoid Old Airport Road-Marathalli section at any cost.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 10:17   #7607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to go to Mahadevpura, Whitefield today in the evening around 5PM from Mysore Road. Which would be the best route during that time so that I can avoid the traffic chaos and reach on time?
Do you want to reach there at 5pm? Or are you planning to begin your journey at 5pm? And which part of Mysore Road is your starting point? Closer to Rajarajeshwari Nagar or Chamarajpet?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 10:21   #7608
BHPian

Quote:
Today being Friday It would not be that easy/fast to drive through the city especially in the evening. I am not sure of your exact origin and destination, however ff you are starting from Kengeri you can take option 1 otherwise option 2 or 3 (2 is better than 3)
1. NICE road - Electronic city - Chandapura - Dommasandra - Varthur -Whitefield
2. Mysore Road - Corporation circle - MG Road - Old Madras Road - Tin factory - Mahadevapura - Whitefield
3. Mysore Road - Corporation - MG Road - Old Madras Road - KR Puram - Mahadevapura - Whitefield

Hope this helps
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 10:50   #7609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At 5 PM on a Friday, the best route that avoids the traffic chaos is probably as the crow flies (you'll need to grow a pair of wings, though).

Assuming that option is not going to work out, my preference would be to hit Koramangala 100 ft Road from your starting point, reach Domlur interchange, switch to Old Airport Road and before Marathahalli, turn towards Doddanekkundi to reach ORR near Karthik Nagar. You will have to twiddle your thumbs at Sony World, HAL and Total Mall signals but overall the trip should be OK.

Silk Board to Mahadevpura via the ORR could also be tried, but of late I hear so many horror stories that I've developed permanent ORR-phobia.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 11:18   #7610
BHPian

Some respite :

Source : http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../46136786.cms?

Quote:
Safely crossing the roads at three congested locations in the city - opposite Christ University main gate, opposite Marathahalli bus stand and at Mekhri Circle - will be a cakewalk for pedestrians from Friday onwards. Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) has decided to inaugurate three skywalks at these locations on Friday.

At all the three locations the skywalks were erected under the public-private partnership (PPP) model, initiated by BBMP.

District in-charge minister Ramalinga Reddy will inaugurate them.

Last year in September, Ramalinga Reddy had asked BBMP officials to install an elevator at the Christ University skywalk before it was officially inaugurated.

Executive engineer (traffic engineering cell), BBMP, Basavaraj Kabade, said the existing skywalks are at a height of 5.5 metres (18.04 feet) from the ground level.

All three skywalks will be equipped with two cameras inside the elevator and two on the crossover. The elevators will be kept open between 6 am and 10 pm.

The idea to construct a skywalk at Mekhri Circle was mooted by the traffic police, keeping in mind the safety of pedestrians whose movements were hampered due to the heavy vehicular traffic after Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) opened at Devanahalli.

Mekhri Circle is the key junction en route to the international airport. Indian Air Force has granted 6,050 sq ft land to BBMP to shift the existing bus stand, and BBMP in return is constructing a swimming pool in IAF's Jalahalli station.

Major Road Infrastructure department's superintendent engineer K T Nagaraj informed Bangalore Mirror that another 25 skywalks are in the pipeline in city.

SKYWALKING THE TALK

Christ university skywalk
»Built by Ahmednagar-based Rajdeep Buildcon Agency
»Concession period of 20 years under buildown-operate-transfer (BOOT) model.
»An elevator at each end with a camera each.
»Two cameras on the crossover.
»The agency will pay Rs 10.8 lakh ground rent to BBMP and advertisement tax.
»More than 10,000 pedestrians expected to use it daily

Near Marathahalli bus stand
»Built by Prakash Arts
»Concession period of 20 years under BOOT model
»An elevator at each end, with a camera each.
»Two cameras on the crossover.
» The agency to pay Rs 10 lakh ground rent to BBMP.
» More than 10,000 pedestrians expected to use it daily.

Mekhri cirle near IAF training command

» Built by Ahmednagar-based Rajdeep Buildcon Agency
»Concession period of 20 years under BOOT
»Elevator at each end with a camera each.
»Two cameras on crossover.
»Agency to pay Rs 23 lakh ground rent to BBMP.
»More than 10,000 to use the skywalk here.
That's something interesting.

Does anyone know when is the function of inauguration ? Might be better to miss the roads today !
lambuhere1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 11:28   #7611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
I would personally suggest to take the city route via Museum Road-MG Road-Ulsoor-Old Madras Road-Mahdevpura. This is your best bet as the most other parts of city (like NICE Road -SilkBoard-Doddankundi-Mahdevpura etc ) will be choked beyond your imagination due to IT traffic moving in all possible directions in these areas but the recommended route generally and I repeat generally is relatively less clogged in the evening coming from the city to Mahadevpura. There is a chance you may find it all clear at 5pm in that direction. And avoid Old Airport Road-Marathalli section at any cost.
Thanks adi_gt, even I was planning on the same route via Mysore road flyover - Kasturba road - Ulsoor - Old Madras Road - Tin Factory - Mahadevpura. I will use google maps and check on the traffic situation before I proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Do you want to reach there at 5pm? Or are you planning to begin your journey at 5pm? And which part of Mysore Road is your starting point? Closer to Rajarajeshwari Nagar or Chamarajpet?
I will be starting at 5PM from Vijayanagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Today being Friday It would not be that easy/fast to drive through the city especially in the evening. I am not sure of your exact origin and destination, however ff you are starting from Kengeri you can take option 1 otherwise option 2 or 3 (2 is better than 3)
1. NICE road - Electronic city - Chandapura - Dommasandra - Varthur -Whitefield
2. Mysore Road - Corporation circle - MG Road - Old Madras Road - Tin factory - Mahadevapura - Whitefield
3. Mysore Road - Corporation - MG Road - Old Madras Road - KR Puram - Mahadevapura - Whitefield

Hope this helps
IMO, taking NICE road would be too much of round about. Option 2 would be ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Silk Board to Mahadevpura via the ORR could also be tried, but of late I hear so many horror stories that I've developed permanent ORR-phobia.
Silk Board to Mahadevpura would be a total mess and I would not like to get stranded in that maze and look out for options

EDIT: There is a small change in the plan, I need to go to Bellandur(Central Junction) pick my cousin and then go towards Mahadevpura. I am planning to go via Airport road, take a right at Yemlur signal and reach central, is this a best bet or coming via Koramangala would be apt. Kindly suggest

Last edited by fusionbang : 6th February 2015 at 11:48. Reason: Small change in the plan hence editing
Old 6th February 2015, 11:58   #7612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: There is a small change in the plan, I need to go to Bellandur(Central Junction) pick my cousin and then go towards Mahadevpura. I am planning to go via Airport road, take a right at Yemlur signal and reach central, is this a best bet or coming via Koramangala would be apt. Kindly suggest
Yemlur option will be faster any day!

I got royally stuck for 2 hours on Yemlur Road alone on Monday (4 days back) between 6 and 8pm, thanks to the Temple function right at Bellandur along with that Truck toppling near Kadubesanahalli that resulted in utter chaos.

I often visit my other work location Yemlur and shuttle between EC and Yemlur and prefer the Yemlur road. Even though it crawls at times, it keeps moving and the progress is faster.

ORR has become a huge gamble off late! BMTC Bus, Truck or even a Bicycle breaking down can bring this road to stand still!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 13:38   #7613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yemalur road could have been the best option, but this road has a very narrow bridge (near Orchid Lakeview) whose pile-up during peak hours could extend a couple of kilometres both sides - so be careful; check Google Maps/Traffic. In addition the road from CGI all the way to Challaghata has been dug up for what looks like cable laying (BSNL?) causing additional pile-ups. Then there is the new temple inauguration at Bellandur itself. Not to mention the very narrow road through Yemalur village.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 13:49   #7614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yemlur option will be faster any day!

I got royally stuck for 2 hours on Yemlur Road alone on Monday (4 days back) between 6 and 8pm, thanks to the Temple function right at Bellandur along with that Truck toppling near Kadubesanahalli that resulted in utter chaos.

I often visit my other work location Yemlur and shuttle between EC and Yemlur and prefer the Yemlur road. Even though it crawls at times, it keeps moving and the progress is faster.

ORR has become a huge gamble off late! BMTC Bus, Truck or even a Bicycle breaking down can bring this road to stand still!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Yemalur road could have been the best option, but this road has a very narrow bridge (near Orchid Lakeview) whose pile-up during peak hours could extend a couple of kilometres both sides - so be careful; check Google Maps/Traffic. In addition the road from CGI all the way to Challaghata has been dug up for what looks like cable laying (BSNL?) causing additional pile-ups. Then there is the new temple inauguration at Bellandur itself. Not to mention the very narrow road through Yemalur village.
Is the inaugural functions still on for the new temple? Hopefully there will not be any pile up, considering today is Friday and if they have any special pooja's then we are asking for trouble. Will check the Google maps traffic update and take a decision from there. Thanks for the information

Last edited by fusionbang : 6th February 2015 at 13:52.
Old 6th February 2015, 13:51   #7615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the inaugural functions still on for the new temple?
I guess no snarls after Monday. However your Friday therory makes sense .

Check maps and decide.
Old 6th February 2015, 14:06   #7616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Some respite :
While it is good to have these, higher priority or desparate need is for ORR. Atleast 20 over bridges are requires on ORR. Other day I saw biker knowdown a pedestrian crossing (actually running for life) near HSR BDA.
Quote:
Does anyone know when is the function of inauguration ? Might be better to miss the roads today !
Marathahalli inauguration is scheduled today at 4PM. Expect Transport Minister, Mayor, 2 current ministers, 2 MLA & 2 former MLAs for the function.
I think this bridge was planned in 2012 and finally being opened in 2015.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 14:17   #7617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Marathahalli inauguration is scheduled today at 4PM. Expect Transport Minister, Mayor, 2 current ministers, 2 MLA & 2 former MLAs for the function.
Where in Marathahalli is this bridge coming up? Is it across the ORR or on the Old Airport Road to Whitefield stretch?
Old 6th February 2015, 14:30   #7618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Where in Marathahalli is this bridge coming up? Is it across the ORR or on the Old Airport Road to Whitefield stretch?
Near Marathhalli Bridge bus-stop, towards Varthur.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 14:35   #7619
BHPian

Quote:
Right where all the ITPL buses coming from Majestic side stops in front of Bhagini/Opposite to A2B.
Roomy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 15:52   #7620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
While it is good to have these, higher priority or desparate need is for ORR. Atleast 20 over bridges are requires on ORR. Other day I saw biker knowdown a pedestrian crossing (actually running for life) near HSR BDA.
Quote:
There was already a small jam building up at 1 PM today when I came that way due to the activities around the over bridge related to the inauguration. Nice time to inaugurate, 4 PM on a Friday evening. Assuming it will get a little delayed, I assume the inauguration will happen right in the middle of the Friday evening peak hour traffic from Whitefield.

Most Viewed