Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 11:57   #7651
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
OT: What is that bridge to cross called? I can't seem to recollect!
I suppose you are referring to a Pedestrian Overpass.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:03   #7652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As expected, the Crossover Bridge before Marathahalli Bridge, near ORR is barely used by pedestrians. They are too lazy to take the stairs or walk 25m-50m to it and cross safely. They still end up squeezing themselves between vehicles.

OT: What is that bridge to cross called? I can't seem to recollect!
I heard the bridges have escalators? Is it true? If yes, why the pedestrians are so lazy and dumb not to take the bridge and cross the road.

I still don't understand when all these educated people will think before they do anything and take responsibility
Old 13th February 2015, 12:04   #7653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I suppose you are referring to a Pedestrian Overpass.
Google seems to agree with you!

It's also called a footbridge according to Wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I heard the bridges have escalators? Is it true? If yes, why the pedestrians are so lazy and dumb not to take the bridge and cross the road.

I still don't understand when all these educated people will think before they do anything and take responsibility
No escalators. They'd rather risk their lives and the peace of mind of motorists than take a few additional steps to avoid the same.

I was very understanding when it came to pedestrians crossing here before the Footbridge was opened, I used to wait for them to cross, but I am far less understanding now. It just doesn't make sense inconveniencing you and me when both of us can travel comfortably and safely!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 13th February 2015 at 12:10.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:43   #7654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Quote:
Google seems to agree with you!

It's also called a footbridge according to Wikipedia.

No escalators. They'd rather risk their lives and the peace of mind of motorists than take a few additional steps to avoid the same.
They don't have escalators, but they do have elevators (or lifts). I think the one at Marathahalli has a functioning lift.

IMHO, there were other locations (especially on ORR) where the need for a foot over-bridge is higher. At Marathahalli, the traffic is generally slow moving to due the congested area and bus stops, so it is not very difficult to cross compared to the ORR where you need to cross a larger distance. In addition the traffic is moving much faster.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 13:27   #7655
BHPian

Quote:
I was very understanding when it came to pedestrians crossing here before the Footbridge was opened, I used to wait for them to cross, but I am far less understanding now. It just doesn't make sense inconveniencing you and me when both of us can travel comfortably and safely!
The only solution to enforce the usage of foot over bridge is by constructing a six feet tall wall along the divider starting from the Marathalli junction till Railway over bridge. Something like the one below Tin factory foot over bridge

Last edited by hillsnrains : 13th February 2015 at 13:29.
Old 13th February 2015, 13:45   #7656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
The only solution to enforce the usage of foot over bridge is by constructing a six feet tall wall along the divider starting from the Marathalli junction till Railway over bridge. Something like the one below Tin factory foot over bridge
People will still find ways to climb the wall rather than use the overbridge.
You will start seeing people jumping onto the road after climbing the wall, which will create a lot of panic and scary accidents.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 14:52   #7657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
You will start seeing people jumping onto the road after climbing the wall
Good point, parkour/free style obstacle crossing might have begun in France but there are far too many of the indigenous people here that are exponents in it. The over-bridge however can be used by the several billion bikes of the city to get to the opposite road without going as far as a U turn, thus "working around" the 2 feet tall medians built as a deterrent.

Yes I said bikes, they already use the footpaths so why not this as well? As regards riding on staircases, the motorists can do it blindfolded.

This has always been the story of this city, one step ahead and 2 backwards, thanks to the brilliant counter-plans of the pedestrians and motorists to neutralise any rule. As far as heart-in-mouth moments go for the few who do follow the law, that's the breaks.
Old 13th February 2015, 15:02   #7658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The over-bridge however can be used by the several billion bikes of the city to get to the opposite road without going as far as a U turn, thus "working around" the 2 feet tall medians built as a deterrent. Yes I said bikes, they already use the footpaths so why not this as well?
I have seen in Malaysia there is a ramp for the overbridge, for bikes to cross the highway (along with pedestrians). Something similar like this, but made of concrete:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-malaysiaday7to12127swingbridgebike.jpg

This setup will immensely benefit Bangalore two-wheeler population.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th February 2015 at 15:04.
Old 13th February 2015, 15:55   #7659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Attachment 1339364

This setup will immensely benefit Bangalore two-wheeler population.
Already the bikers have declared war on the ORVMs and bumpers of our cars. If this is implemented, we should start caring for the roofs of our cars and might have to start wearing helmets inside the cars as well.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 19:22   #7660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Already the bikers have declared war on the ORVMs and bumpers of our cars. If this is implemented, we should start caring for the roofs of our cars and might have to start wearing helmets inside the cars as well.
Even if you provide a dedicated lane for 2 wheelers, they will still venture in the path of cars,buses,lorries etc.
They derive pleasure in squeezing in between bigger vehicles and emerge winners at the end of the road race.
Old 13th February 2015, 19:32   #7661

Don't forget the pothole ridden roads. Every vehicle and pedestrian alike have to juggle and play around to escape them, just adding to the chaos. And then we have two wheelers claiming right of way on the foot paths. :thumbdown:
Old 13th February 2015, 20:22   #7662
BHPian

Yipee...Nayandahalli flyover finally opened for traffic after a 5 year ordeal. It took less than 30 seconds to cross the 1km distance today with nice view all around and no dust. What a relief finally.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 20:29   #7663
BHPian

Agree with the pedestrian crosses. It feels like riding inside a zoo (err.. a play ground may be?!). The only way I see to stop this is enforce a strict fine on Jay walking (Cops would love that as well!!)!
Old 13th February 2015, 20:39   #7664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Yipee...Nayandahalli flyover finally opened for traffic after a 5 year ordeal. It took less than 30 seconds to cross the 1km distance today with nice view all around and no dust. What a relief finally.
Yes saw it this evening. Indeed, a great relief for poor souls like us who travel daily via the Nayandahalli junction. I take the right towards the Ring Road from Nayandahalli junction. Generally, it is choc-a-bloc at the junction any time after 7 PM. But today, it was a pleasant surprise to observe very less traffic under the over bridge (of Nayandahalli). However, while coming from Raja Rajeshwari Nagar side, there was some confusion among motorists (read truckers) as which way to take. Here are a few requests to the traffic cops to maintain the junction traffic free: -

1. Install traffic signal lights at the junction (below the over bridge)

2. Repair the roads on the BHEL side of Nayandahalli junction (which has deteriorated over the months due to Namma Metro work)

3. Construct a small divider on entry points of the over bridge (on both sides). This will help motorists to maintain some lane discipline.

Regards,

Samish
Old 13th February 2015, 22:01   #7665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post

1. Install traffic signal lights at the junction (below the over bridge)

2. Repair the roads on the BHEL side of Nayandahalli junction (which has deteriorated over the months due to Namma Metro work)

3. Construct a small divider on entry points of the over bridge (on both sides). This will help motorists to maintain some lane discipline.

Regards,

Samish
Absolutely Samish, the work is not complete until they completely repair the roads below and make proper pavements for pedestrians to walk. There is still a lot of traffic which enters the ring road from Mysore road and vice versa and hence traffic signal is a must. With the flyover complete, hopefully, the work on roads below will start.

Most Viewed