Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2015, 01:35   #7666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

What is wrong with BTP ? Genius brains at work !!

They have put up a U-Turn barricade infront of that Teleradiology solutions / Shell Technology Centre.

While coming from SAP Laps side, once you take a take a left, there used to be a break in median on the right. Sometime back BTP had closed it permanantly. Now there is a barricade to take U-Turns there.

This is more dangerous while coming from Kundanahalli to Graphite India side. The barricade has taken up 1 lane - The fast moving lane of the road. It has been there for about 2 weeks now.

If BTP wants a break in median there, let them keep it open so that atleast someone won't be surprised by the barricading upto half of the road !! This has added to more confusion because people coming from Hoodi side, take wrong way from Graphite India signal and jump to the correct side of the road towards Kundanahalli, through this barricade. Example of terrible ideas of BTP !!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg
Old 16th February 2015, 08:27   #7667
Senior - BHPian

A BMTC bus has broken down near the traffic signal at JP Nagar Bannerghatta Road Junction near Mantri Elite.
The traffic was building up when I passed the place at 7:45AM, try to take alternate routes as it might take some time to clear the stricken bus.
Old 16th February 2015, 08:45   #7668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
What is wrong with BTP ? Genius brains at work !!

They have put up a U-Turn barricade infront of that Teleradiology solutions / Shell Technology Centre.
This is actually a good idea in my opinion. That is possibly the only way BTP can ensure very few cabs go the wrong way and reduce vehicle density till the Ginger U Turn. The only thing I thought was missing a signboard for people needing to take a U Turn to keep right.

I was taken aback the first day as well, but now I simply stick to the right lane.
Old 16th February 2015, 09:03   #7669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is actually a good idea in my opinion. That is possibly the only way BTP can ensure very few cabs go the wrong way and reduce vehicle density till the Ginger U Turn. The only thing I thought was missing a signboard for people needing to take a U Turn to keep right.

I was taken aback the first day as well, but now I simply stick to the right lane.
No, it is a major risk, for both sides of traffic.

More dangerous for traffic towards Graphite India signal from Kundanahalli side. Speeding vehicles suddenly see barricades in the right most lane !!
It is more like they banned the right turn signal at Graphite and then now opened this small passage to take U-turn towards Graphite India and Hoodi.
Now, no one bothers to go ahead and take U-Turn at that wide crossing ahead. Everyone tries to squeeze in this small passage. So what happens is, the moment you take left from SAP labs towards Khalli side, you find a huge line of vehicles waiting and jamming that small U-Turn passage !!

There was a break in median there earlier. Why did they then close that, and now again open that.
This is so so so so grossly wrong.
Old 16th February 2015, 10:26   #7670
BHPian

Quote:
Speeding vehicles suddenly see barricades in the right most lane !!
Speeding Vehicles? when.. where..? If they were speeding, that would imply the road is clear ahead and it should not be a problem finding the barricades right?

Quote:
There was a break in median there earlier. Why did they then close that, and now again open that.
Vehicles coming from SAP/Ginger are not supposed to take that median, they are supposed to take a U turn near the temple. That U turn is only for vehicles coming from Kundalahalli. So it really should not be an issue most of the times.

I travel this way everyday and can vouch that it was a surprise the first day but now it actually is better all around - ofcourse you sometimes have a cabbie coming in the wrong way but it is very few and far between. I like this arrangement more as there is no way you can stop vehicles taking a U turn (coming from SAP) if there is a median, while a controlled barricade does that really well.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 16th February 2015 at 10:30.
Old 16th February 2015, 12:23   #7671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Speeding Vehicles? when.. where..? If they were speeding, that would imply the road is clear ahead and it should not be a problem finding the barricades right?
Speeding vehicles = Vehicles going straight towards Hoodi side, not taking a right turn towards SAP.
Everyday, I find the huge buses moving in the right lane, suddenly swerve to the middle / left lane to avoid those barricades.

More so, since I know this place now, I keep to left, but them some TT / Indicab guy would make a huge U-Turn that spills over to the middle and left lanes. I have to brake and so the vhicles behind me. And then bikers start squeezing between the cab and barricade. It becomes so chaotic at times at that point.

You see, that is the problem with the entire traffic management. Stop gap arrangements are everywhere.

There should be only two U-Turn points, where the road is wide enough - Like at the Ginger Hotel junction, or at that Temple junction (I guess there is a Tata yard there too).

What started as a stop gap break to let bikes pass is now widened. The cabbie moves the barricade a little more wide to squeeze his car, then the TT guy moves it a little more to squeeze his TT, someday a bus would come, move the barricade and take a U-turn there.

Quote:
Vehicles coming from SAP/Ginger are not supposed to take that median, they are supposed to take a U turn near the temple. That U turn is only for vehicles coming from Kundalahalli. So it really should not be an issue most of the times.
And that my friend is what is NOT happenning. Vehicles from SAP side take that U-Turn and jump into the face of vehicles coming from towards graphite india and speed away towards Hoodi.
Old 16th February 2015, 13:23   #7672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And started off - called and informed. Will continue doing so. Hopefully you guys can also call and complain about the Silkboard flyover and lets see what happens.

I am gonna do it daily.
And third attempt. This time, I was asked for the Ward number too. Thankfully replied with 174. There was silence at the other end. Tried calling them again and it says out of coverage area. Not sure how that can happen to a landline. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 18:15   #7673
BHPian

Massive block near Kempfort Pizzahut signal. The culprit is a broken down dumper. Passed by at 5pm and took a mighty 15 mins to cross.
Old 16th February 2015, 21:03   #7674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Absolutely Samish, the work is not complete until they completely repair the roads below and make proper pavements for pedestrians to walk. There is still a lot of traffic which enters the ring road from Mysore road and vice versa and hence traffic signal is a must. With the flyover complete, hopefully, the work on roads below will start.
This evening witnessed another traffic jam under the new flyover while taking a right turn towards Ring Road from Mysore Road. A lone traffic constable (possibly a home guard) manning the junction was finding it difficult to manage the situation. A working traffic signal with policemen (actually they were in plenty during the flyover construction) is the need of the hour.

Also the bus stop just before the entry ramp of the new flyover is making the situation worse.

Regards,

Samish
Old 16th February 2015, 22:14   #7675
Senior - BHPian

For those wondering exactly how much the RTO and Agent/Driving School nexus was hurting our safety on the roads, check out the initial results of a survey I started on FB.

Startling and scary at the same time.

Just check the number of people who got a car DL without knowing how to drive a car!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-rto.jpg

Request you guys to fill the form as well:
http://goo.gl/forms/fRz0d9eyQY
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 08:16   #7676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
For those wondering exactly how much the RTO and Agent/Driving School nexus was hurting our safety on the roads, check out the initial results of a survey I started on FB.
Just check the number of people who got a car DL without knowing how to drive a car!
Attachment 1340607
http://goo.gl/forms/fRz0d9eyQY
Little catchy here I say.
I didn't know driving. Hence I went to a DL school and started learning driving.
After 2 weeks, got a LL and subsequently got DL after clearing the test. Ofcourse, the agent from the DL school was present at the time of test.

I assume that people think otherwise - First get a DL, then start learning, else cops will catch.
They should know that one can apply for a LL and start learning driving.

PS: Will fill the survey from mobile or from home. Google docs is blocked here at work.
Old 17th February 2015, 09:39   #7677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

Attachment 1340607

Not sure if the question was proper. They may have gone through the agents for learning to drive the car and then get the license through them.
Old 17th February 2015, 09:40   #7678
Senior - BHPian

Life of a traffic constable in Bangalore shows another side to the story of Bangalore's traffic mess.

Quote:
There is no specific 'lunch time' and the head constable usually grabs a bite only by late afternoon or early evening, when traffic is sparse.

"Breathing problems, influenza and leg aches are common problems suffered by most traffic constables in the department. Standing for long hours in the heat, dust, and smoke can take a toll on us..."
Source http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../46268051.cms?
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 09:45   #7679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Life of a traffic constable in Bangalore shows another side to the story of Bangalore's traffic mess.

Source http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../46268051.cms?
I really pity them. I also dont know how these people haven't lost their brains going through what they do everyday. We talk about our job stress etc and I believe these guys go through hell and still behave !
Old 17th February 2015, 10:40   #7680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
We talk about our job stress etc and I believe these guys go through hell and still behave !
A police man's job is tough, and the sad part is that they don't have any counselling or other facilities available for them. And with their pay, they cannot afford such luxuries as well. Many of them may be sticking to the jobs due to the "job security" the service provides. Alcoholism, abusive behaviour etc. are all symptoms of the stressful life which the Men in Khahi have.

And when we see the behaviour of "educated elite" (including techies) in cities like Bengaluru, I really cannot criticise for any one being abusive. We compare our police with the ones in US, UK and Europe and say they are all good. But we don't compare how "good" are the common citizens out there as well. There lies the problem.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks