Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 12:22   #7726
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I wonder how people who had flights to catch coped.
The plan was to channel all Aero India traffic to the service roads after the railway over-bridge at Yelahanka and keep the main flyovers free to KIAL traffic.

No idea how the idea fared though!
Old 24th February 2015, 12:27   #7727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I wanted to post this for a very very very long time.
I thought of posting this in Bad Drivers thread, but wasn't sure. Its about Bad Pedestrians and my observation is in Bangalore only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Few antics that really irritate me -
[list][*]You are crossing the road, you spot a car that slows down to allow you to cross the road, you realize that the car has actually slowed down for you & now you continue to cross the road at a slower pace in Slow motion
Personally I think you both are the reason why crossing roads, and even walking, on Bangalore roads is dangerous. I see a clear apathy & malice towards pedestrians, as if the roads were meant for the sole use of your cars. I would challenge both of you... the next time you need to travel somewhere within 3 kms, try walking instead of taking your car. You will soon see the light and understand the plight of pedestrians in Bangalore.
floyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 12:40   #7728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Personally I think you both are the reason why crossing roads, and even walking, on Bangalore roads is dangerous. I see a clear apathy & malice towards pedestrians, as if the roads were meant for the sole use of your cars. I would challenge both of you... the next time you need to travel somewhere within 3 kms, try walking instead of taking your car. You will soon see the light and understand the plight of pedestrians in Bangalore.
Oh no. This is not a rant against pedestrians in general. So I really don't need to get down from the car and walk to prove how considerate I am towards a pedestrian (which I always am).

There is this new generation of pedestrians who are oblivious to anything around them, often hooked to their cellphones or Instant messaging services that they care less for their lives.
  • I am the one who always tell my parents to walk such that they are facing the traffic
  • For a confused pedestrian who is unsure whether the driver would push the A pedal before he crosses the road or release the pedal to make way for him crossing the road, I indicate with my waving hands sitting inside to cross the road safely while I wait and that had always worked
  • Whenever I have dropped my father on my way to work on a busy road (Esteem Mall, Hosur road), I have pulled over and watched him cross the road till the other end before I continued (It means I understand the plight of a pedestrian)
  • Whenever my mum has taken my daughter to buy something from a neighborhood store, I have always advised which side of her should my daughter walk along

On wait, Instead of trying to type all this, the video below (Please watch it till the end) should tell it all whether I care for a pedestrian or not -

And no, this was not recorded to prove that I care for pedestrians. It is only co-incidental that we are discussing this topic!

Lastly, don't be under a wrong impression that writing about bad pedestrians can make one an inconsiderate driver. I have have zero case of rear endings everytime I have given way for pedestrians by slowing down. That only means I have always been an "Attentive Driver" for pedestrian.

That way, if I rant about a Sand lorry or a concrete mixer truck doesn't make me an inconsiderate driver towards a trucker too. In reality, long haul truckers are the most well mannered lot compared to the local fellas and ranting about this category isn't bad.

Coming to my share of walking -

I often cross the Hosur road near Garvebavipalya opposite to Surakshaa but I walk a little further till the BMTC Bus Stop, wait for traffic to slow down due to parked BMTC buses and use that opportunity to cross the road and walk backwards to my intended destination.

I could have actually crossed the road running in one shot from a location right opposite to the place I wanted to reach but since I also drive I understand the plight of a driver who may have to brake abruptly because of my antics.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th February 2015 at 12:56.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 15:10   #7729
Senior - BHPian

I usually go to office around 1 in the afternoon and start back by 9 in the night. Home - Koramangala. Office - EC Ph 1. When returning from office, I usually take right over the Madiwala under-pass and then go till Sukh Sagar and then take a left. Due to some trainings at office, I am going to office by 10:15 and returning back by 5.

Yesterday evening, there was major traffic after taking a right at the Madiwala underpass (over-pass in my case). Is it better to go straight towards Forum in this case? Cause at night, the right at the Madiwala under-pass doesn't have any traffic.

Am I making any sense?

Last edited by naveenroy : 24th February 2015 at 15:14.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:23   #7730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I usually go to office around 1 in the afternoon and start back by 9 in the night. Home - Koramangala. Office - EC Ph 1. When returning from office, I usually take right over the Madiwala under-pass and then go till Sukh Sagar and then take a left. Due to some trainings at office, I am going to office by 10:15 and returning back by 5.

Yesterday evening, there was major traffic after taking a right at the Madiwala underpass (over-pass in my case). Is it better to go straight towards Forum in this case? Cause at night, the right at the Madiwala under-pass doesn't have any traffic.

Am I making any sense?
Why not take a right at St Jones signal, take the service road and then take a left which leads to Sukh Sagar ?
SaNdY_AR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 15:26   #7731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
Why not take a right at St Jones signal, take the service road and then take a left which leads to Sukh Sagar ?
St John's signal is a pain during that time (8-10pm) as I too return back home around 9pm.

Loads and loads of Private Buses that Originate from Madiwala and all wanting to take a U-Turn towards Silkboard at this very signal.

Even at 9:30PM, not only there is a long waiting time but the buses taking a long U-Turn blocks almost everyone wanting to head straight towards Forum or even turn right!!

I suspect this is the reason.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th February 2015 at 15:42.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 15:32   #7732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
St John's signal is a pain during that time (8-10pm) as I too return back home around 9pm.
Yup, I have totally stopped taking the route towards St.Johns signal when I return at night. However, is this route better in the evening at around 5? Cause the right at the Madiwala underpass was jammed.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:35   #7733
BHPian

Quote:

Loads and loads of Private Buses that Originate from Madiwala and all wanting to take a U-Turn towards Silkboard at this very signal.

Even at 9:30PM, there not only there is a long waiting time but the buses taking a long U-Turn blocks almost everyone wanting to head straight towards Forum or even turn right!!

Ahha... Then try this, Take Madiwala Market -> From Kripanidhi College (Old) signal take a left which leads to the same main road which leads to St Jones. From this signal again take a right which goes to Sukh Sagar. I am sure Market road will be deserted and so is the possibility of vehicles from Sarjapur road to St Jones being less.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:40   #7734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ahha... Then try this, Take Madiwala Market -> From Kripanidhi College (Old) signal take a left which leads to the same main road which leads to St Jones. From this signal again take a right which goes to Sukh Sagar. I am sure Market road will be deserted and so is the possibility of vehicles from Sarjapur road to St Jones being less.
Is that Right Turn allowed towards Sukh Sagar/BDA when you approach the signal from Krupanidhi?
Old 24th February 2015, 15:42   #7735
BHPian

Quote:

Even at 9:30PM, there not only there is a long waiting time but the buses taking a long U-Turn blocks almost everyone wanting to head straight towards Forum or even turn right!!

Quote:
Is that Right Turn allowed towards Sukh Sagar/BDA when you approach the signal from Krupanidhi?
Yes it is, I have taken it few many times.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:43   #7736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that a left? I think that is allowed?
Old 24th February 2015, 15:49   #7737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Isn't that a left? I think that is allowed?
I guess you are talking about the road from Madiwala market to Kripanidhi college signal: yes it is allowed.

Quote:
This right is at the signal after you take the Kripanidhi signal when you approach St Jones. This is allowed as well.
SaNdY_AR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 16:00   #7738
Senior - BHPian

I might have a slightly better alternative. Try this.

Take right at Silk Board (onto the ORR towards HSR), and get into Service Lane immediately.
Take left into Teachers Colony, you will emerge at the Jakkasandra signal on Sarjapur Road.
Go straight through, take left into the service road on the "wrong" side of Sarjapur Road.
Then, right at Krupanidhi College into the by-lanes, to emerge out at BDA Complex signal. Turn right here to go to Sukh Sagar.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 20:06   #7739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The elevated roads fall exactly on the lines planned for metro. I bet this won't be approved and looks like a result of brainstorming exercise done by BBMP folks (without considering who will foot the bill).
Bangalore is/will be developed based on the self-interested of the BBMP contractors. What is in the interest of contractors is usually not in the interest of the city
The recommendations are by R K Mishra headed Technical Advisory Committee. They want most of it to come from Centre.

Last edited by srishiva : 24th February 2015 at 20:08.
Old 25th February 2015, 07:32   #7740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I might have a slightly better alternative. Try this.

Take right at Silk Board (onto the ORR towards HSR), and get into Service Lane immediately.
Take left into Teachers Colony, you will emerge at the Jakkasandra signal on Sarjapur Road.
Go straight through, take left into the service road on the "wrong" side of Sarjapur Road.
Then, right at Krupanidhi College into the by-lanes, to emerge out at BDA Complex signal. Turn right here to go to Sukh Sagar.
Wowza, need to try this out though the number of signals seems high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The recommendations are by R K Mishra headed Technical Advisory Committee. They want most of it to come from Centre.
I was surprised by this announcement that they want to build elevated flyovers. I mean, do these guys sit at meetings and just say - "C'mon guys, any plans on how we can use public money to build something they cannot use?".

Most Viewed