Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 14:50   #7756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And third attempt. This time, I was asked for the Ward number too. Thankfully replied with 174. There was silence at the other end. Tried calling them again and it says out of coverage area. Not sure how that can happen to a landline. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
Sadly, have not been able to follow up all this week. But that is how the system works doesn't it? They just know that we will give up once we hit our head against that brick wall of incompetence! But I will start off again tomorrow.

OT - I had this hilarious idea. How about hire a load auto and fill it with the leftover, unsold flowers from Madiwala market and dump it into the potholes on the Silkboard floyover? I mean, seriously!?

Big OT - that was my 999th post
Old 26th February 2015, 15:02   #7757

Sometimes I feel that I am an idiot if I am standing at a red light, because no one else stops. And the folks who pass me, give me that smirk.
The guy coming towards me driving in the wrong lane gives me the eye, like I am blocking his way. I fail to understand these guys’ mentality.
They can’t wait at a red light, they will wait for 57 secs, but those last 3 secs are way too much to handle. They go and guess what, accidents happen.
They can’t let an ambulance go, nobody cares if someone is dying in the ambulance, Please fellas give way! And then they tailgate the ambulance, drag race behind it.
2 wheelers completely ignore your turn signals and keep on coming at you.
They come from all sides, you sitting in your car is like the egg being fertilized by this sperms (bikers).
They hit your car and say sorry, ***! You are not even supposed to touch it! That scratch is a scratch on my heart.

And people doing all these stupid things above are the ultra-educated IT engineers of Bangalore. I guess education is the problem here, everybody thinks I am better than all of this. Why bother!
Bangalore roads are full of these people, it is a paradise of idiotic moronic brainless drivers. Be careful out there.
trucksingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 15:35   #7758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucksingh View Post
Sometimes I feel that I am an idiot if I am standing at a red light.
Not just you.

There is even a separate thread regarding same . Link.
Old 26th February 2015, 17:03   #7759
Senior - BHPian

Ok, also went ahead and posted the pothole issue on IChangeMyCity. Would appreciate you guys upvoting it also - http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...board-floyover
Old 26th February 2015, 18:02   #7760
BHPian

Speeding Tanker runs over 5 people in Bangalore, 2 died. I do not know the location of accident, but this reminded me of the perils of crossing ORR in front of Ecospace :
Old 26th February 2015, 18:21   #7761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Speeding Tanker runs over 5 people in Bangalore, 2 died. I do not know the location of accident, but this reminded me of the perils of crossing ORR in front of Ecospace :
This happened right in front of Esteem Mall on KIAL Road. Gory footage and poor pedestrians who had to pay for their lives.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th February 2015 at 18:24.
Old 26th February 2015, 18:46   #7762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This happened right in front of Esteem Mall on KIAL Road. Gory footage and poor pedestrians who had to pay for their lives.
Isn't there a signal right around where it happened?

It's prudent in India to be extra careful even if you have right of way, pedestrian or motor vehicle. Assuming someone will follow rules in India can easily turn fatal like it did here
Old 26th February 2015, 18:50   #7763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Isn't there a signal right around where it happened?

Not to side with anyone, but it's prudent in India to be extra careful even if you have right of way, pedestrian or motor vehicle. Assuming someone will follow rules in India can easily turn fatal like it did here
There is a pedestrian crossing signal right here. But if one watches the footage carefully, you can notice no vehicles passing by while the bunch of pedestrians are almost reaching the other end of the carriageway (median).

A very rare case here that a a group of pedestrains will cross the road while the light is still Red for them.

Lots of cops' presence on either sides here too.

I am not sure if that truck was headed towards the city but from the momentum and speed it appears like it just descended from KIAL Elevated expressway. If one is driving from Hebbal, the speeds (for a truck) would be slower due to the ascent right here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 18:51   #7764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucksingh View Post
Sometimes I feel that I am an idiot if I am standing at a red light, because no one else stops. And the folks who pass me, give me that smirk. ... Bangalore roads are full of these people, it is a paradise of idiotic moronic brainless drivers. Be careful out there.
You are not the only one brother. I go through that same thought process multiple times a day (thanks to all the traffic signals on my way).

Years ago (or was it decades), someone did tell me that Bangalore is the ultimate pensioners paradise. I guess it was true... So far, my perception of paradise remains superior & unmatched by this city.

Last edited by vinjosep : 26th February 2015 at 18:57.
Old 26th February 2015, 19:23   #7765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There is a pedestrian crossing signal right here. But if one watches the footage carefully, you can notice no vehicles passing by while the bunch of pedestrians are almost reaching the other end of the carriageway (median).

A very rare case here that a a group of pedestrains will cross the road while the light is still Red for them.

Lots of cops' presence on either sides here too.

I am not sure if that truck was headed towards the city but from the momentum and speed it appears like it just descended from KIAL Elevated expressway. If one is driving from Hebbal, the speeds (for a truck) would be slower due to the ascent right here.
That spot was a disaster waiting to happen. Just last week, I had a close shave while returning from the airport. Most traffic coming from KIAL avoids slowing down here until the last moment. Perfect recipe for rear-endings and run-overs.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 21:30   #7766
BHPian

A 19 year old girl and a biker lost their lives and five are injured. This spot is a nightmare for the pedestrians to cross. This despite police manning the crossing on both the sides. For college going kids and people going to work, who usually wait to cross to the other side to board the bus, the traffic on this road has become a nuisance.

The monster has been arrested. Heard on TV9 that "it" was driving from Rajanakunte towards Hebbal.
Old 27th February 2015, 08:35   #7767
Senior - BHPian

Very shocking and painful accident. I was seeing the footage over and over again.
The speed at which the truck rammed into the pedestrians indicate:

1) High speed
2) No Intention to stop
3) Predictive driving - We had discussed this in another thread (Anticipation - The hallmark of a Good Driver).
May be the trucker predicted that the pedestrians would cross by the time he reached the signal, and he would pass freely (without harming anyone) after jumping the red light.
There are occasions when predictive driving helps, but not always, like in this case (probably).

I read a very interesting question on Facebook (HVK Forum page) pertaining to the accident. It was just an one-liner, I am just describing it here for more clarity on the question.

The pedestrian crossing signal on this side of the road was (possibly) green and hence people were crossing the road.
Whereas, the traffic on the opposite carriageway was moving which indicates that the pedestrian crossing signal on that side of the road was red.

So, after the pedestrians crossed this side of the carriageway, what would they do ? Balance themselves on the median till the signal turns green for them on the opposite carriageway ? Traffic management failure ?
Old 27th February 2015, 09:21   #7768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
A 19 year old girl and a biker lost their lives and five are injured.
The monster has been arrested. Heard on TV9 that "it" was driving from Rajanakunte towards Hebbal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Very shocking and painful accident. I was seeing the footage over and over again.
So, after the pedestrians crossed this side of the carriageway, what would they do ? Balance themselves on the median till the signal turns green for them on the opposite carriageway ? Traffic management failure ?
Could not believe my eyes what I saw. From the accident I thought most involed would not survive it. The tanker just does not stop. It was as if people did not matter.

And the other day we were discussion why pedestrians behave in the manner that we car users loathe. I hope this instills some shame into road users.
Old 27th February 2015, 09:56   #7769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) No Intention to stop
The driver claims that his brakes failed . Since he descended from a flyover he could not control his speed either.
Old 27th February 2015, 09:57   #7770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pedestrian crossing signal on this side of the road was (possibly) green and hence people were crossing the road.
Whereas, the traffic on the opposite carriageway was moving which indicates that the pedestrian crossing signal on that side of the road was red.
I cross this signal daily twice and for sure I can tell you, that there is no such arrangement/ occurrence where one side is red and other, green.
If you observe the video carefully, it looks like both the carriageways were having moving traffic. So in all possibilities, the signal was green for vehicles and red for pedestrians. Could it be a case of a group of pedestrians crossing when the signal was red for them and traffic was light?

What I always notice is that even when the signal just turns red from green for vehicles, most of them don't bother to stop immediately. Everytime I approach the signal and when the green flashes to indicate it is soon going to change to red, I slow down and come to a halt but always with the fear of someone rear ending me.
They should build a skywalk with an elevator/escalator here and make sure pedestrians use them by barricading the medians completely.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 27th February 2015 at 10:02.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks