Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2015, 13:52   #7846
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Update on the Chalukya Circle to Hebbal elevated road on the ET website:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46537864.cms
How the heck will this work? Isn't there already some sort of elevated corridor from mekhri circle till hebbal flyover? Are they going to expand the current Railway overbridge near palace cross road or are they planning to build one more over that :-). Why does all projects have to do with airport connectivity when less than 1% of the people use it on a daily basis? Can we not think more holistically about the traffic issues around that area?
But I guess contractors have to make money and in turn feed our politicians..Small targeted project to reduce traffic congestion works better than these gargantuan projects which ends up exacerbating the existing problems. sigh..
Old 12th March 2015, 15:51   #7847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
How the heck will this work? Isn't there already some sort of elevated corridor from mekhri circle till hebbal flyover?
What you have right now starting from High-Grounds all the way till Hebbal flyover are Magic Boxes. Intelligent officials travelled to International destination to study these tragic boxes, returned with momentary positive thoughts minus long term vision and simply installed these at 5 places (BDA, Cauvery Theatre, Gangenahalli, CBI Junction, Baptist Hospital) simply to do away with the Traffic lights here and technically name this as a “Signal Free Corridor”.

The sad reality as of today is that it takes at least 30 minutes during peak hours to do this 5 kms signal free stretch!

Quote:
Are they going to expand the current Railway overbridge near palace cross road or are they planning to build one more over that :-).
There is no over-bridge here, it is an underbridge to be precise passing below the tracks. And if they want to build an elevated corridor over the Railway tracks, they can as well do that when BETL actually passes above NICE on Hosur road.

Quote:
Why does all projects have to do with airport connectivity when less than 1% of the people use it on a daily basis?
May be you should drive with me one of the evening and you will realise it’s not just the traffic towards the Airport alone. Over the last 5 years, North Bangalore has expanded phenomenally with loads of residential areas mushrooming – Kempapura, Tata Nagar, Sahakarnagar, Jakkur, Amruthalli, Yelahanka, Kogilu. One drive on the Elevated corridor and you will realise the expansion here.

As for the Airport connectivity, the recently opened Elevated corridor is planned well and is serving the purpose fantastically between Hebbal all the way to the Airport (except one last signal before the toll which is not a pain at all). Most of the traffic that takes this elevated section doesn’t go all the way to the Airport. Many get down at Yelahanka and few other beyond this and the last bunch reach the Airport.

Additionally, this road leads to Hyderabad and witnesses a lots of Bus traffic right from 8PM till 11PM every day. Not to forget the BMTC Buses plying towards Sahakarnagar, Yelahanka, Kogilu, Devanahalli. Finally, the rainbow colored buses bound for Chikkaballpur and Doddaballapur.

Quote:
Can we not think more holistically about the traffic issues around that area?
Its not just an area anymore. The above details should answer this for you! The need of the hour is Elevated roads as there is no room for expansion on ground anyway. But the pain to experience when this project would start is something that will worry all we regular commuters to that part of Bangalore.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 23:19   #7848
Team-BHP Support

Spent 4 hours driving 50 km to Whitefield and back. Why do people work there?
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 01:23   #7849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Spent 4 hours driving 50 km to Whitefield and back. Why do people work there?
And I am hunting property there.....
Old 13th March 2015, 09:52   #7850
Senior - BHPian

The idiots in BWSSB have dug up the narrow Borewell road at Whitefield and the road is now converted to one way. It took 50 minutes this morning to cross the Nallurahalli village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
You are hunting property in Whitefield area? I don't see any major advantage in moving to Whitefield. My boss had purchased a flat at Kadugodi and his average time to reach the office near Sathya Sai hospital used to be 20 minutes. Now it has increased to 40 - 50 minutes. Similarly colleagues staying at Hoodi, Marathalli area take around 50 minutes to reach office. Whereas it takes exactly 50 minutes for me to reach Whitefield from Jigani (through Chandapura, Varthur ). The last mile at Whitefield again depends on traffic.

The main mistake on part of my colleagues was that they searched the properties on weekends and they thought that it'll take only 15-20 minutes from the above mentioned places to reach office. They got the taste of weekday traffic only after they actually started commuting to office on weekdays. So make sure to search the properties on a weekday in peak hour. It will give you a rough idea of the actual travel time to your office.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 13th March 2015 at 09:54.
guyfrmblr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 09:56   #7851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Whereas it takes exactly 50 minutes for me to reach Whitefield from Jigani (through Chandapura, Varthur ). The last mile at Whitefield again depends on traffic.
The bottleneck on this route would be the Varthur town/village. The road is quite narrow at that point, and the vehicle traffic is high.
Old 13th March 2015, 09:59   #7852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The bottleneck on this route would be the Varthur town/village. The road is quite narrow at that point, and the vehicle traffic is high.
Yes, the road is narrow inside Varthur. But after they repaired the roads inside Varthur, I'm not seeing any jams even in peak hours. The main cause for the jams at Varthur were the monster potholes.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:01   #7853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The idiots in BWSSB have dug up the narrow Borewell road at Whitefield and the road is now converted to one way.
Where have they dug it? The entire Whitefield area is dug up by BWSSB and they work in snail's pace.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:10   #7854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Where have they dug it? The entire Whitefield area is dug up by BWSSB and they work in snail's pace.
Right at the narrowest stretch at Nallurahalli. Cars are just managing to cross that point with great difficulty. There were many king sized company buses waiting to cross that stretch.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 10:17   #7855
BHPian

Quote:
The idiots in BWSSB have dug up the narrow Borewell road at Whitefield and the road is now converted to one way. It took 50 minutes this morning to cross the Nallurahalli village.
BWSSB has dug up one side and the drainage work takes up most of the other side. I almost got caught in this, instead I took a U and went via whitefield road and came into office via Sathya Sai hospital road.

I don't mind driving an extra 5-6 km's/10-15 mins rather than waiting "patiently" in a traffic block.

It took around 90 minutes to reach Divyashree tech park from electronic city today
Old 13th March 2015, 11:18   #7856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Run!!!!

Yesterday, going to Shanthi Niketan. Got stuck at the ORR then again from Phoenix Mall till Prestige Shanthi Niketan

Today - drop my daughter in Yelahanka - 40 min from city

Yelahanka till KR Puram - 40 min.

10 min of traffic jam - tolerable

Total Mall junction till after Marathahalli - 1 hour. I should have gone to my town office!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 11:27   #7857
Senior - BHPian

That Nellurahalli digging has made the road already difficult road to travel on almost impossible to travel on.

Such a big line of vehicles waiting to move today. And to top it all you have your Janani buses being driven by a guy on the phone coming from the opposite side.

If this work doesn't finish by Sunday, I will promptly go back through the CMRIT route to reach my office.

Could those who travel here keep this thread updated? The problem with this road is that once you're stuck, there's no turning back(literally!).
Old 13th March 2015, 11:30   #7858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are hunting property in Whitefield area? I don't see any major advantage in moving to Whitefield.
Quote:
Quote:
Run!!!!
Whitefield has the worst infrastructure as of now and I do not see it getting better anywhere in the near future. Rather than hunting property here, find a job close to your home
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 11:31   #7859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Whitefield has the worst infrastructure as of now and I do not see it getting better anywhere in the near future. Rather than hunting property here, find a job close to your home
I turned job a role based in my company in ITPL since the commute outweighed any growth prospects
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 14:31   #7860
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

You are hunting property in Whitefield area? I don't see any major advantage in moving to Whitefield.
Quote:
I turned job a role based in my company in ITPL since the commute outweighed any growth prospects
4 hours daily travel, being a bachelor sounds pretty OK to me, but disastrous if he/she is married and has kids.

Having stayed in Bangalore for 10 years, I have travelled only once to whitefield. Being curious here, comparing whitefield vs hebbal, which do you think fares better in terms of commute from places like Sarjapur & HSR Layout.

I come from a telecom background, I seriously hope that whenever I shift jobs, I always land up in a firm somewhere on the ORR between Bellandhur and Doddanekundi (or) electronic city, never ever be in a situation where I have to travel to hebbal or whitefield.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 13th March 2015 at 14:32. Reason: edit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks