Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 15:25   #781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
my friend removed a can of pepper spray and in less than 5 seconds, the abusive cab driver was on the floor reeling in pain.
Attagirl! Thats the way to handle morons (only!) who want to get physical with females.
Old 20th August 2009, 15:55   #782
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Spitfire, thats the sad part
I used to stand up against such things but i have mellowed down now. Everyone invariably supports the wrong doer no idea why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Boy I'm scared. My wife drives too.
Well we don't really need to get too alarmed, a good pepper spray can should do equally well. But its a worry that in a crowd no one steps forward to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
My heart goes out to the lady in the car.
Since then, I always advise all my female friends who drive to carry a can of pepper spray as it proves to be a great tool to combat hooligans on the road.
That's some amazing presence of mind shown by your friend.

The problem is road rage has become such a big issue that no one bothers who and how that person may be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Whats wrong with the people?
Scary. Even though the lady was not being harmed physically, it can leave behind a deep scar on her psyche. Driving down that lane may be a terrifying experience from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I certainly do not understand why that particular U turn was marked as illegal.
I moved to Marathahalli, last weekend. Fairly new to the area and road. So first thing i made was a mental note of the the allowed and disallowed turns and gaps. I am not sure how that U Turn works not used it till today.

Isnt there a U turn a few 100 meters further thats legal?
Old 20th August 2009, 16:55   #783
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attagirl! Thats the way to handle morons (only!) who want to get physical with females.
Yeah, she reacted quickly and this was 5 years ago when pepper spray was unheard of in India. She was lucky to have her dad bring her back a can on one of his trips to the US. The Sumo driver was screaming "Visha, ayyo Visha" meaning poison, poison in Kannada as he writhed on the road with his hands and face burning

Served him right for abusing a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That's some amazing presence of mind shown by your friend. The problem is road rage has become such a big issue that no one bothers who and how that person may be affected.
I agree, its become common to become immune to acts of road rage. Even if you are at fault and have banged into another vehicle accidentally, that gives no right to the person to break out to you in a fit of rage.

Last edited by gpa : 20th August 2009 at 16:56.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:01   #784
Team-BHP Support

Nowadays we get a lot of pain relief sprays.
Red Heat, Moov and so on.
Just buy the strongest one available.
The pharmacist will be able to help.

The effect at least temporarily will be the same.

Easily available and no question will ever be asked.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:24   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Well we don't really need to get too alarmed, a good pepper spray can should do equally well. But its a worry that in a crowd no one steps forward to help.
Pepper spray is pretty effective in such situations where one has to handle a single or a couple of guys, but a definite no-no after a mob gathers. It should be used as a quick get away tool.

In fact I carry a pepper spray in my car always. This after the news item that a bunch of bikers rob cars by tail gating them and suddenly coming to the front and stopping forcing the car to stop. I have heard such stories, but once on returning from Forum after night show, was tailed by four bikes. I didnt know whether they are such a gang, but I got cautious and next day bought the pepper spray. So far never had to use though.

Nainar
Old 20th August 2009, 17:49   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
In fact I carry a pepper spray in my car always.
Educate me on this. Isn't it unsafe for the can to be there in the car in extreme summer heat (unless your's is parked in the shade all the time) ? I need to the read the manual again for my Cobra can!
Old 20th August 2009, 22:40   #787
BHPian

My Wifey faced this Music on Tuesday.

She was on her way back from Madiwala Market on Tuesday Morning; at St. John's Water Tank Junction she took a right to the Sarjapur Road; a call centre cab crossed the wrong lane to take the right and brushed her bike; she lost her balance but luckily was able to stabilize her bike else she would sprawled on the road.

She stopped the cab and asked him to come over to the side; the guy wanted to run away but she did not allow him to do that. As always in Bangalore a big crowd gathers to watch the fun but no one will support even if its a lady. In comes the Cop from the signal and tells my wife that if she has any injuries and she tells him her leg hurts but she can manage; next he tells her in that case you can carry on. She tells the cop to book the cab driver. The cop tells my wife to go on and not make a big issue if there are no major injuries; as she can speak Kannada she tells him to go buy some bangles and wear them if he is not able to do his duty. Then she walks over to the cab which is now parked behind her bike she yells at the 4 guys occupying the cab and tells them to correct the driver if he is on going on the wrong side and not risk their life and also kill people on the road; none of the people utter a word; she then took the car key and told the driver if he needs the same he can come over to the Madiwala police station.

At the police station again the cop behave in their usual manner as she is pretty upset about the entire episode she decides to leave the police station and comes home with the car key.

I told her she was very brave and appreciate what she did. I am upset the way cops behave in Bangalore they are insensitive towards everything. Unless a life is sniffed or there are major injuries they dont do anything.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:44   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycaned12 View Post
I think it was other way round . Your wife is really brave and did exactly what is right to do .

BTW did the driver or anybody from the cab company came to your house to get the car keys back?
Old 20th August 2009, 22:47   #789
BHPian

no one followed her so they are not aware of our house
Old 21st August 2009, 00:29   #790
Senior - BHPian

Holy Molly!! Your wife sure has some guts! And hats off to her for this!
Very well done by her, in giving everyone involved (including that useless cop) a piece of her mind. Did anyone contact you to get the keys back?

(I'd love to bow down and hail- the 'as she can speak Kannada she tells him to go buy some bangles and wear them if he is not able to do his duty' totally rocks!!
Old 21st August 2009, 01:22   #791
BHPian

^^ wow those are nice incidents of women standing up to morons - but i cant not get worried about these stupid guys reacting to what they are doing!
Is that taxi cab still parked on the side of the road in the absence of the key :-)
Old 21st August 2009, 09:39   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
.....Then she walks over to the cab which is now parked behind her bike she yells at the 4 guys occupying the cab and tells them to correct the driver if he is on going on the wrong side and not risk their life and also kill people on the road; none of the people utter a word.....
Dude, Hats off to your wife, i would bow before her bravery and courage, honestly speaking, i would have left the scene once i realize that there are no injuries and everything is fine. It takes some heart to teach the wrong ones the lesson and go the extreme of plucking the keys of the car and ride away.

Most of the cabs are run for IT companies and its a shame that the educated lot sitting inside the cab doesnt realize the danger of these kind of driving. There are so many awareness programs conducted and everyone keep shouting about safety, but these "educated lots" doesnt seem to bother about these.

I am not sure whether your wife has a pepper spray handy, if not, please give her one, just in case.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:51   #793
BHPian

Thanks Nitin / Jassi / Balajird for your appreciations.

Balajird: She does not carry a Pepper spray but sure has a spray can of Moov handy if needed. I guess more than anyone I should thank TBHP and especially this thread where Spitfire has always stood against these morons; I used to tell her about the the way Spitfire keeps tackling them.

I am sure this has helped her to stand up and fight for her right BTW she too keeps checking the forum using my id.

Jassi: Not sure for how long the car was stranded as we did not go to check on the same.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 21st August 2009 at 09:52.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:28   #794
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Educate me on this. Isn't it unsafe for the can to be there in the car in extreme summer heat (unless your's is parked in the shade all the time) ? I need to the read the manual again for my Cobra can!
Yes, its is dangerous. If you park your car in the sun, its best you stow this in your pocket when you leave the car. The extreme temperatures can cause the can to explode. Else, park your car only in the shade.

Quote:

I told her she was very brave and appreciate what she did. I am upset the way cops behave in Bangalore they are insensitive towards everything. Unless a life is sniffed or there are major injuries they dont do anything.
Hurrycane12,

Hats off to your wife! She is one gutsy woman!

The behavior of the cops is expected. They aren't perturbed if someone is not hurt. This attitude is something that will have to change.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:02   #795
BANNED

Quote:
I told her she was very brave and appreciate what she did.
I am at a loss of words to appreciate the responsibility towards our society shown by your wife. She wasn't standing up for herself but every other victim of such scum found on our roads today. None of the thousands of onlookers who witnessed this incident must have even understood for a moment that here is a person (a woman at that) questioning the right of another to risk lives of total strangers by their stupid acts.

As much as i appreciate her righteous nature, i would like you to caution her and to be a bit restrained while dealing with such people - especially cab drivers and auto rickshaw drivers. Not because she can't but due to the fact that the meek, weak and selfish onlookers (and this involves our police too) around her may not help even when things go out of hand.

Quote:
I guess more than anyone I should thank TBHP and especially this thread where Spitfire has always stood against these morons; I used to tell her about the the way Spitfire keeps tackling them.
You just made my DAY, no MONTH, no actually my Whole Life. Each time i have stood against such behavior on our roads i have most of the time being told to either mind my own business or to just let go, as things will never change.

I know for a fact things can get better and will keep trying to drill sense in people.

Thanks again. I never in my wildest thoughts imagined someone would actually get inspired by my acts.

I need to show this thread to my wife. My biggest critic but an even bigger supporter when required.

Last edited by Spitfire : 21st August 2009 at 13:03.

Most Viewed