Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 17:17   #8056
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
A biker decides to stop during a heavy downpour even though he has a rain wear???? Why should he do so is your question. But you have yourself answered your own question in the 3rd paragraph (marked in bold)
It's not a question, it's a matter of choice. Not everyone stops just because they don't want to get drenched (I see plenty of cars stopping too when it rains). I personally love the rain and wouldn't want to stop, but make sure I've taken precautions to safeguard my water-sensitive valuables before I indulge my urge to get drenched. Different people (on/in different vehicles) decide to stop for different reasons (hampered visibility, lack of confidence, unprotected valuables, dangerous road conditions etc.), all as valid as any other. The choice whether to stop or continue is totally the biker's, but where and how is not, because that action has potentially dangerous consequences attached to it. That's my point.

Quote:
I am sorry, but it is slightly hard for me believe that someone would be standing in the middle of the road during rain. Think from the Biker's point of view. Why would be risk his life?
Trust me, even though we see plenty of people driving and riding all sorts of vehicles like they had a death-wish on a daily basis, I still find it very hard to believe anyone can be so stupid/reckless/irresponsible/insert adjective of your choice here. I'm a biker myself, and I would never stop the way this particular guy had under any circumstances. He wasn't alone, just the one closest to moving traffic (I'd have clicked a pic if I had a waterproof device). If you'd like evidence, you're welcome to accompany me out on a rainy night in Bangalore. We can have a T-BHP mini-meet/rain ride impromptu (not being sarcastic!).

Quote:
What will I answer if you say that there wasn't any indication from the biker who was waiting in the underpass with no indication.

Unfortunately there is no hazard warning lights in two wheelers in our Country and turning on the blinkers is something which people don't do!!
One has to make do with what one's got. First, stay out of the way of moving traffic and/or two, use the lights available to indicate your presence. A bike still has tail lamps and functional indicators (just not in the hazard pattern). No reason to turn them all off. If his bike didn't have functional lights at all, then he has no business being on the road at night, rain or no rain. Ignorance (wilful or otherwise) is no justification to endanger oneself and others.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th April 2015 at 17:35.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 17:31   #8057
BHPian

Sorry mods, didn't know where to put it. I saw a mad rush in front of many shell outlets for petrol and diesel in bangalore since 4pm. So, I thought of informing the forum to avoid any further inconvenience to them and also to road users in general.There was a strike by tanker drivers since yesterday morning which led to many bunks running dry by today morning. The strike has been called off and the supplies have resumed. The functioning of the bunks will be normalized by tomorrow afternoon. So, please avoid standing in queues which are affecting the home-going commuters on various roads. Unless, of couse, one is travelling out of city. There might be some stock issues on the highways. Please plan accordingly.
sumzup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 17:44   #8058
Senior - BHPian

To add on. Tomorrow there is a Karnataka Bandh. Road traffic may be disrupted from 0800hrs to 1800hrs. So people may be stocking up due to this as well. So that they can perhaps start early (for any week end trip) before the Bandh gets into full swing.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 19:25   #8059
BHPian

Terrible terrible traffic all over bangalore now due to the Karnataka Bandh tomorrow and Tanker Drivers Strike.

Long queues in front of the Petrol Bunks extending upto the road. All the best to those who are driving down from Office
Old 17th April 2015, 19:51   #8060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
The strike has been called off and the supplies have resumed. The functioning of the bunks will be normalized by tomorrow afternoon.
Dear Sir, Thank you very much for the information. But are you convinced that the trucker's strike has been called off. I am sorry if I am sounding offensive, but no news sites / channels have announced it.

Regards,

Samish
Old 17th April 2015, 19:58   #8061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Dear Sir, Thank you very much for the information. But are you convinced that the trucker's strike has been called off. I am sorry if I am sounding offensive, but no news sites / channels have announced it.

Regards,

Samish
Hi samish, I'm very sure. I'm a dealer of a bunk myself, so don't worry.
sumzup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 20:11   #8062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm seeing reports on Public TV that the bunks will be closed tomorrow till 6PM for the bundh, is that true?
Old 17th April 2015, 20:30   #8063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'm seeing reports on Public TV that the bunks will be closed tomorrow till 6PM for the bundh, is that true?
Not just the bunks, the airport is being shut as I saw that in the scrolling news in one of the regional news channel. Simply ridiculous.
Old 17th April 2015, 21:07   #8064
BHPian

Quote:
It is indeed a relief to hear that. Thank you very much once again for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Not just the bunks, the airport is being shut as I saw that in the scrolling news in one of the regional news channel. Simply ridiculous.
It is definitely ridiculous. We are scheduled to go near Yelahanka tomorrow morning for a family function. Planning to leave before 7:15 AM so that we are able to reach before 8 AM.

Regards,

Samish
Old 17th April 2015, 21:25   #8065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is definitely ridiculous. We are scheduled to go near Yelahanka tomorrow morning for a family function. Planning to leave before 7:15 AM so that we are able to reach before 8 AM
The bandh is from 0600hrs to 1800hrs. Be cautious and have a safe drive..
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 21:43   #8066
BHPian

Quote:
It is indeed a relief to hear that. Thank you very much once again for the information.

It is definitely ridiculous. We are scheduled to go near Yelahanka tomorrow morning for a family function. Planning to leave before 7:15 AM so that we are able to reach before 8 AM.

Regards,

Samish
Samish, Shell bunks would be open, I presume, by 6 am. I think, you should give it a try. Also most of the bunks if not closed due to bund, will operate normally and one should not have any trouble. The tank lorries are getting filled all night at all fuel depots, so things should be pretty normal tomorrow.
Old 17th April 2015, 22:29   #8067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
This is unprecedented, and I hope is a false alarm. My family is taking a flight out tomorrow morning. :-(
Old 17th April 2015, 23:16   #8068
Senior - BHPian

I had posted this on BTP's wall today.
Quote:
Hi BTP,

After all my scathing posts all these days, I am going to praise you today.

My journey from work to home was the safest I have had in years!

My 16.2km journey took me all of 2 hours today. By getting me to travel at just 8km/h speeds, you have ensured that I am safe as people cannot, for the life of them, go any faster. In the bumper to bumper traffic, only minimal damage in the unfortunate event of an accident.

Everything was in place. A bulldozer in the middle of a main road during peak hours on Varthur Main Road, a Police Cop who wouldn't turn the signal to green for my side of the traffic, a hopelessly timed signal at Murugeshpalya junction that has ensured my average speed has dropped for a few days now.

All of your hard work to ensure citizens cannot exceed speeds of 10km/h are definitely working. I am sure that all the cats and dogs in Bangalore also covered more distance in 2 hours that I did on my Rs. 80,000 bike. Your ploys are so advantageous to our 4 legged friends too.

I have no doubts you can do better! And no doubts that I will see similar measures being employed again. Of course, this is for our safety after all.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 23:17   #8069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I had posted this on BTP's wall today.
You better hope they understand sarcasm. They're quite likely to take this as positive feedback!
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 23:30   #8070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
You better hope they understand sarcasm. They're quite likely to take this as positive feedback!
The other day i had been to Mayo hall. I saw work going on in increasing the pavement area for walking. I just dont understand what BBMP is up to. Instead of increasing the road area for easy movement of vehicles, they are doing the opposite.

Now this is going to choke the already congested roads. Two wheelers will run out of patience and start going on the pavements putting the pedestrians into hardship.
Lack of common sense on the part of BBMP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks