Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 09:57   #8131
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
But to give credit where its due, BTP has positioned lot of traffic cops along the route and they were trying their best to regulate traffic.
But BTP would not be able to do this always. My gut feeling is that the Madiwala market road is going to be a nightmare. With a very active vegetable market out there, there would be lots of stationary vehicles. And right next to the Madivala Traffic PS is the bus stop. So people have to be smart to change lanes (to the right) before the bus stop, and then take a sharp curve to the left so that they can enter Hosur Road once again.

The police may have to revert this plan, is what I feel.
Old 27th April 2015, 11:18   #8132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Bangalore Traffic Police plans to implement the following changes around Madiwala with effect from 26th April:
This has a potential to work provided they clear the madiwala market road to allow for a certain level of free movement of vehicles. I fully expect the vegetable carriers to ignore the one way and create chaos though. The east bound carriageway has hardly space for one vehicle to go through.

If the vehicles follow the lane (which side of divider) discipline,
  • North bound on hosur road towards St.Johns hospital keeping to the right side of carriageway from total mall to St.John Signal
    North bound on Hosur road towards adugodi, forum keeping to the left side of the carriageway
    South bound on St.Johns road (Sarjapur road) towards EC and silkboard keeping to the right
    South bound on St.Johns road towards jakkasandra, agara keeping to the left side of the divider
there is good chance it will work out.
But knowing Indian mentality and Bangalore traffic, I fully do not expect it to happen which means chaos at every junction.
Old 27th April 2015, 13:37   #8133
Senior - BHPian

Came via this route in the morning today. It took me almost 35 minutes more than usual to reach office. The left turn at St.Johns adds an additional traffic signal as well. As called out by many others, the Madiwala Road which has the market on it needs to be tarred and maybe the dividers removed so that it becomes a true one way road.

Hoping the journey back towards Koramangala/Adugodi will be smoother given that the whole madiwala route would be now one-way...
Old 27th April 2015, 14:18   #8134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
needs to be tarred
Defintely.

Quote:
......maybe the dividers removed so that it becomes a true one way road......
Good lord NO!

Given Indian drivers' godly lane sense and discipline, this would just mean most of them creeping wherever they see space, then swerving end-to-end at the last possible moment (happens on most WIDE one-ways), worsening the grid-lock. What BTP could do instead is put up LARGE boards notifying "this lane only turns left/right" before the market section, then use barriers (temporary or permanent) to create a turning lane on either side (akin to lane-separated free left turns at signals), blocking the way for last-minute swerves. That might just relieve some of the chaos.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th April 2015 at 14:20.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 14:22   #8135
Senior - BHPian

And I nearly missed a meeting in office due to all this confusion around Madiwala. Aaargh. Frustrating on a Monday.

I saw signboards and to be honest - the cops were doing a good job. The traffic cops always bear the ire of motorists. Oh well.

Any idea what this is really for? Is there some road-work going on somewhere?
Old 27th April 2015, 14:37   #8136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Good lord NO! Given Indian drivers' godly lane sense and discipline, this would just mean most of them creeping wherever they see space, then swerving end-to-end at the last possible moment (happens on most WIDE one-ways), worsening the grid-lock.
Valid point - but we cannot afford to have such wide dividers and waste road space. Maybe they can put a thinner barricade like how it has been done in the stretch near Christ College and doing away with the current dividers which seem to take quite some space of motorable road.
Old 27th April 2015, 14:39   #8137
BHPian

Is it just me who finds the route having inherent flaws!

Most of the traffic travelling down from St John's Hospital/Koramangla, would want to go to E City/Hosur and most traffic coming up from Agara/Sarjapur Rd would like to head into the city/Kor.

That means, at the Krupanidhi College jn, vehicles trying to get on the left lane of Madiwala Rd are coming from St Johns and vehicles trying to get on the right lane are coming from Sarjapur Rd.

How long before we have a bad pileup/t bone?
Old 27th April 2015, 14:42   #8138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Valid point - but we cannot afford to have such wide dividers and waste road space. Maybe they can put a thinner barricade like how it has been done in the stretch near Christ College and doing away with the current dividers which seem to take quite some space of motorable road.
Given the decision making people's fickle mind they may change this in a month or so or worse make it reverse or in any other way!

So I think its better to keep it as is I guess.
Old 27th April 2015, 20:26   #8139
Senior - BHPian

Looks like traffic is piling up pretty bad from EC towards Silkboard. Me thinks it is a side-effect of the traffic diversions. Anyways, friends warned me not to take the BETL as traffic is jammed from Ibis Hotel.
Old 27th April 2015, 20:36   #8140
Senior - BHPian

My ride back home from Whitefield was a breeze today!

15km took only 45 minutes!
Old 28th April 2015, 07:05   #8141
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Saw a toppled Tata Ace this morning around 6:15 AM on Iblur road (towards Marathahalli side). Looks like no one was injured.
Hopefully the vehicle will be cleared to avoid traffic chaos
Old 28th April 2015, 07:30   #8142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Saw a toppled Tata Ace this morning around 6:15 AM on Iblur road (towards Marathahalli side). Looks like no one was injured.
Hopefully the vehicle will be cleared to avoid traffic chaos
Yes, looks like no one was injured. Saw a mini crane trying to lift the Ace at around 6:35 AM. Also saw the owner probably in a Black Superb directing the crane operator.

Regards
Old 28th April 2015, 09:59   #8143
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Perhaps I should give a suggestion to the BTP. And may be there are also doing it. How about the "night round officers" of the Traffic Police doing a quick early morning patrol (between 5:30 and 6:30AM) on the main roads of his jurisdiction to spot any minor accidents, or vehicles which are blocking the road after getting damaged etc? So in case such vehicles are spotted, they can inform the Control Room well in advance before the morning rush hour starts.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:00   #8144
Senior - BHPian

Last night, after returning from EC towards Koramangala, there was again some confusion among motorists on which route to take.

I for one have this really ugly feeling - that this whole roundabout route was proposed just so that private buses can use more space at the Madiwala junction. The mafia must have greased some palms. I say this because, not only are private buses using only the left lane, they are using the right lane too. It is irritating to see that there were traffic woes mostly because of these private operators and now, they have doubled it. Frustrating.
Old 28th April 2015, 13:55   #8145
BHPian

Was lost with the new traffic arrangement last night going from Hosur Road to Indiranagar. Took the right lane after Total instead of left and had to take some internal roads to come to St. Johns Signal.

At 830 pm traffic was free flowing post silk board but there a pileup before silkboard due to jam under the flyover on the outer ring road (but this is usual story)

Stopping the right turn at Madiwala is a problem for me as I use to take that road to avoid St. Johns and reach Sony signal directly from internal Koramangala roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks