Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 17:50   #8206
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The infrastructure of this city is in tatters, this time is when its most evident.. the rainy reasons. The tarmac has been shredded in most parts of the city and each vehicle going over it will only make it worse. There cannot be a worse time to start drain work but I see plenty of roads being dug up for the same. Perfectly smooth roads are dug up never to be re-laid again.

This city doesn't need multiple civic/developmental agencies, it needs common-sense first, to patch up the roads as & when work is done, to ensure small details are taken care of. Traffic sense is falling by the day with little or no respect for signals, lanes or speed limits.

Bangalore is the I.T city - its Internally Torn, trying to find a balance between creating jobs & creating a better place to live, to make better roads to accommodate the ever-growing vehicle population, but it appears every attempt has failed. To me the soul of the city has been lost forever in the manic irrelevancies of economic growth & development. As each day passes from now, the city will grab at straws trying to become what it can never be until it finally collapses under its own weight. The political outfits are too busy clamouring for credit/defending themselves to care for their very nature of work.

Last edited by dark.knight : 18th May 2015 at 17:51.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 09:35   #8207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Dumber & Dumber: Level - Master

SOURCE
With footpath riding being so rampant in this city, my hunch is that the whole TenderSURE fiasco is about facilitating better movement of 2 wheelers on the "footpath".
Which retard in his right senses would have embarked on such an epic blunder unless his brains were in his knees ? God save this city.
Old 19th May 2015, 10:15   #8208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
They are installing traffic signals on road above Kadubeesinahalli underpass. Be prepared for the mess till they eventually turn the signals to blinker mode.
I crossed this spot today morning ~ 10 AM; the signals have not started working yet. Its still open-for-all in all directions imaginable.
Old 19th May 2015, 11:42   #8209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
With footpath riding being so rampant in this city, my hunch is that the whole TenderSURE fiasco is about facilitating better movement of 2 wheelers on the "footpath".
Not quite.

If you've noticed the footpath, you'll notice that every opening is surrounded by some cement pillar like structures.

These pillars are wide enough to let a person pass through but narrow enough to not let a motorcycle through.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-pic_article_st_marks_tendersure.jpg

This must be after this little article in DH:

Name:  473983.gif
Views: 1146
Size:  141.7 KB

This morning, spotted and recorded a police car, a white Ertiga driving against the one way towards Kundalahalli Gate.

The video clearly shows the police vehicle breaking the rules. But the number is not too clear. IIRC, it was KA-02-G-1639.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 19th May 2015 at 11:44.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:30   #8210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Not quite.

If you've noticed the footpath, you'll notice that every opening is surrounded by some cement pillar like structures.
Is it really required to have such a wide space for pedestrians to walk. As such there is shortage of road space.
Old 19th May 2015, 13:57   #8211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is it really required to have such a wide space for pedestrians to walk. As such there is shortage of road space.
Apparently the space taken up is to ensure that the road will never need to be dug up again. I guess all drainage pipes, OFC, etc., all are routed underneath the footpath. A major, major source of traffic congestion is vehicles trying to avoid an obstruction. By avoiding these obstruction altogether, the traffic should be smooth.

That said, size of the footpath aside, the footpath looks beautiful. Space for trees, little grills around these trees. Freshly planted saplings lining the road. This is reminiscent of the Bangalore of old.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:58   #8212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Well, any amount of space is not enough for the roads. So the debate on how much is so much will never cease to challenge both the city planners and users.
sumzup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 00:09   #8213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I crossed this spot today morning ~ 10 AM; the signals have not started working yet.
Yes. They have installed the signals. Guess they waiting for rains to start before they inaugurate the signal to maximise the chaos.
Old 20th May 2015, 11:36   #8214
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Today on Old Madras Road:
I had a green signal for a right turn onto Old Madras Road but traffic going straight (perpendicular to my direction) had blocked the junction.

After a harrowing time, some of the vehicles stopped to allow us to make the right turn. After making the turn, I'm on right most lane and hardly 50m ahead, an ambulance is coming head on with lights and siren blaring. Luckily, there was space on the next lane for me to move safely to allow the ambulance to pass.
I move and then what do I see...a swarm of 2 wheelers tailing the ambulance to make the most of it and move quickly in wrong direction
Our city traffic simply is one of the most innovative and there is no dearth of such wonderful scenes!

Last edited by NPV : 20th May 2015 at 11:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 14:08   #8215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
a swarm of 2 wheelers tailing the ambulance to make the most of it and move quickly in wrong direction !
I HATE these people. These people are senseless and heartless to try and take advantage of the dangerous health conditions of other human beings. I have noticed people jumping signal long after the ambulance has crossed the red light. I purposely accelerate and stop in front of these people. Cheap, ridiculous mentalities.

Equally merciless are the people who don't make way for an ambulance.

There are rules, there is common sense and there is this thing called humanity. That should reign supreme above everything else. Alas, it is a rare thing to find these days.

One more thing I have noticed are ambulances that seemingly take advantage of their right of way. I will be stuck in the middle of a jam when an ambulance can suddenly be heard from close quarters. If the siren was wailing from the beginning, there would be a faint sound that would gradually increase. This would lead me to assume that they don't want to get stuck in the jam and would then turn on the siren to get people to move.

And for pete's sake, put that phone away while driving/riding/walking!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 20th May 2015 at 14:09.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 14:55   #8216
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure whats wrong on Bannerghatta road between Dairy Circle and Sagar Apollo Hospital signal. During 11 am to 4 pm, the traffic is much lesser and free movement will be there. Today it is quite choked.
Old 20th May 2015, 15:08   #8217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Not sure whats wrong on Bannerghatta road between Dairy Circle and Sagar Apollo Hospital signal. During 11 am to 4 pm, the traffic is much lesser and free movement will be there. Today it is quite choked.
I was on Bannerghatta Road between Sagar Hospital junction and Dairy Circle around 10:30am today - normally a free flow time. It was choked. In fact, the choking had spilled all the way back into Jayanagar 4th T Block on one side, and all the way back to Dairy Circle on the other side.

The culprit, I think, is Sagar Hospital junction, which has become severely potholed due to rains and leaking sewage. Traffic is moving much more slowly due to this, causing tailbacks. And in order to solve the tailbacks, cops move the signal to manual mode, which only makes the problem worse.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 22:01   #8218
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, all schools will open between 1 to 3 June - going to be fun then!
Old 20th May 2015, 22:22   #8219
BHPian

Yes, when the schools start, Especially on the TenderSURE roads - it will be a disaster.
Old 20th May 2015, 22:40   #8220
Senior - BHPian

Marathahalli today was an utter disaster! The entire stretch from Marathahalli Bridge all the way upto the next signal towards Domlur took me 40 minutes today.

The BWSSB decides that the best time to fix drains and dig up roads is when it's raining. As a result, the whole road is full of muck and slush and the already hopeless roads have gotten worse.

Where will this end?

I am actually very sad. All of us pay our taxes. All of us work hard to earn our money. Yet, to be dealt this apathetic treatment is very disheartening. While we struggle to get to our work places and back home, the people responsible for the city's infrastructure couldn't care less about the welfare of their citizens.

:(

Most Viewed