Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:48   #8296
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
How old is this image? There are colleagues who claim that this never happens anymore and must be years old image.
This is not true. I travel on this road everyday, and this happens once in 20 days. The major bottlenecks are caused by Vrindavan Tech park cars coming out oppositte way on the service lane and then joining the ORR only to take a U-Turn further.

So you can imagine, they come out of the service lane (disrupts traffic), joins the ORR ( disrupts traffic again), cut across to extreme right to take a u-turn (disrupts traffic yet again!!). All this happens in a stretch of 50 mts. which causes a chain reaction and the traffic jam starts from the JP Morgan red light

lot of points to ponder here

- Why is there a u-turn on the ORR when we have flyovers, why cant the traffic go under the flyover and take a u-turn. Wasnt this percieved to be a no signal corridor? then why have u-turns

- Why is there no skywalk infront of JP Morgan. OK, forget the skywalk, why can't the pedestrians cross the road on top of the underpass, isn't that the reason that the underpass is built

- To make situation worse, BBMP never keeps the drains of the under pass clean, there is a lot of water logging that happens in the kadubisanhalli underpass

- There is absolutely no road on the service lanes, once now and then a bus gets stuck and that has a rippled effect till Maratahalli bridge

The interesting part is, I drive on that road, I know all these problems. But the BTP and BBMP doesn't pay and eye and ear to it. So many times things have been proposed on their facebook pages, only to fall on deaf ears

Mornings are another pain. The traffic jam starts nowadays from the HSR layout flyover, 40 min to cross 3 KM! I run faster than that!!!

Last edited by evilshantanu : 3rd June 2015 at 14:50.
evilshantanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:48   #8297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Got this image as a forward on WhatsApp, its of Kadubeesinahalli overpass next to JP Morgan on ORR.
Quote:
How old is this image? There are colleagues who claim that this never happens anymore and must be years old image.
Interesting point. The traffic signal visible in the image was put up very recently. So definitely not an old image.

Having said that, not able to relate the image to the real picture. We see one underpass side and top wall, shouldn't we be seeing the other underpass also? Something seems off with the picture.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:51   #8298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are colleagues who claim that this never happens anymore and must be years old image.
This is day before yesterdays image.

Infact, you can see the traffic signal in the image which was installed only couple of weeks back. This situation happens regularly, I would say almost 4~5 times a month. The issue was compounded since traffic police has blocked the ill designed service lanes located on the middle of the road. This caused more traffic on the service roads located beside the road.

Since main road got choked due to bus breakdown everyone decided to try their luck by taking the service road causing this jam.

This is a regular occurrence when it rains, I stay next to this junction (~150 meters). However, to avoid getting stuck in the jam I find it easier to drive ~1.7 KM's towards Marathahalli and take a U turn and come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
We see one underpass side and top wall, shouldn't we be seeing the other underpass also? Something seems off with the picture.
That is hidden behind the building on the right side of the image.

The underpass wall what you see is that of carriageway going towards Marathahalli, the road towards Sarjapur / Bellandur side is hidden behind the cream color balcony.

You can part of a goods carrier in the image on the right side, that is the area on top of the underpass where vehicles park. The empty area next to that is the service roads in middle of the road which are now closed by traffic police.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 3rd June 2015 at 14:58.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:12   #8299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Saw this new 'innovative' idea of traffic cops yesterday morning around 8:45am:
Tin factory junction is a major mess every day and cops are usually present at the junction of the service road (going towards the KR Puram Railway station), Old Madras Road and the hanging bridge up ramp (towards KR Puram). They find it really difficult to bring things under control when they're here, so they took positions about 200m before this junction where the Outer Ring Road down ramp (coming down from Kasturi nagar/Rammurthy nagar side) and Old Madras Road junction (opposite Pai Layout). They created a 'manual signal' of sorts and did the stop-wait-go routine at this junction so that traffic is not so messy at the next junction (near hanging bridge) where they were positioned earlier. I had my doubts about this arrangement but it seemed to kind of work and ease the mess and overall was quite a smooth drive to whitefield yesterday morning (I took the hanging bridge and Devasandra route).
However, this wasn't functional today, wonder what happened ? I was at the Tin factory junction around 8:15am so maybe I was early ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
They did this some months ago. I went through this yesterday as well.
Prefer this to stop-and-then-move-200mtsago .
But unfortunately, such wisdoms dont last long !

Because of this innovative method, today morning @ 8:30 traffic got backed up as far as Ramamurthy Nagar signal . I was supposed to go to Bellandur and I reached there around 10:00 in two wheeler (~15 Kms in one and half an hour), I pity the four wheelers.

I don't know whether this is a regular occurrence, I got stuck everywhere (KR Pura railway station,Doddenakundi and Marathahalli).
sbalagru6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:18   #8300
BHPian

For some reasons I took the volvo today to office from ramamurthy nagar signal to Garudachar palya . It was my first bus trip in years to office and I must say it will be last for some time to come. It was packed at 7.50am. The bus virtually crawled till Kr puram from the base of kasturinagar stop. It became a torture as constant stopping and moving made life miserable and needless to say I was virtually swinging on my hand for next 40mins till KR Puram railway station. I can feel for guys who travel daily on this route. I normally take tc.palya-gardencity-basavanpura-hoody-gc.palya route on bike/car. Normally it takes half an hour to reach office.Today the bus adventure took some real toll out of me.
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:07   #8301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
For some reasons I took the volvo today to office from ramamurthy nagar signal to Garudachar palya .
If you are travelling by public transport, you must ensure a seat. Otherwise it will an ordeal during peak hours.
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:11   #8302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If you are travelling by public transport, you must ensure a seat. Otherwise it will an ordeal during peak hours.
It would be better to stand in a Volvo bus rather than sit as the seats are uncomfortable due to lack of head rest. i would prefer an ordinary BMTC bus as against a Volvo.
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:29   #8303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
It would be better to stand in a Volvo bus rather than sit as the seats are uncomfortable due to lack of head rest. i would prefer an ordinary BMTC bus as against a Volvo.
If there is a vacant seat in Volvo, do you take it or just stand?
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:45   #8304
BHPian

When we have so called educated IT folks with a "pitthu" bags double their own thickness occupying already cramped space in the standing gents section ,it sorts of become a swing where with every break your body tends to behave in simple harmonic motion with damping provided by the bag. Some of our fellow travelers on the bus are also not very considerate regarding a basic minimum courtesy to give way when they can. Everybody has his own degrees of freedom in a cramped space.
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:08   #8305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Schools have started and the people have gone crazy.
Huge jams everywhere, I couldn't get out of the gate as morons were stopping, dropping their kids and taking U turns wherever they wished causing huge traffic jams near the schools.

Instead of the kids, the educated parents need to be taught a lesson in traffic discipline.
I faced the same yesterday about 8:00 A.M near St. Joseph's, stuck for 20+ mins. Today I reached that place around 7:45 A.M, sooo much better.
Old 4th June 2015, 06:30   #8306
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget underarm + cheap deo odor, gas from the junk food someone grabbed on his way back home etc. Oh forget it - it was all normal when I was a student, being 20 years older means bus travel sounds worse than a session of police torture.

Come on, guys - we've all done it when we were younger, and found it fun too.

Quote:
When we have so called educated IT folks with a "pitthu" bags double their own thickness occupying already cramped space in the standing gents section ,it sorts of become a swing where with every break your body tends to behave in simple harmonic motion with damping provided by the bag. Some of our fellow travelers on the bus are also not very considerate regarding a basic minimum courtesy to give way when they can. Everybody has his own degrees of freedom in a cramped space.
Old 4th June 2015, 10:02   #8307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For some reasons I took the volvo today to office from ramamurthy nagar signal to Garudachar palya . It was my first bus trip in years to office and I must say it will be last for some time to come. It was packed at 7.50am.
This is the third month of my BMTC travel. And this would be perhaps after 15 years of two wheeler & four wheeler commute, that I moved back to public transport.

I agree that many of us have become averse to public transport for what ever reason. Crowd could be a major problem. But we must also know that it is this "individualism" which also led to the traffic mess we see in Bangalore.

From what I observed during three months of BMTC travel.
Pros:-
1. Goes easier on the pocket. A monthly bus pass (non-Volvo, unlimited travel on any route), costs Rs. 1050/-.
2. No stress of driving, cribbing at other vehicle drivers etc.
3. Makes you fall into a routine (structured way), as you would slowly plan your day also considering the bus availability etc.
4. Can clear a bit of your telephone calls, Facebook/Twitter responses etc. sitting in the bus. If the crowd is less, even reading a book is okay. I have seen people doing that.

Cons:-
1. Many places may not have direct connectivity from your origin point. In that case, connectivity may not be as quick as possible. Unlike trains, the arrival of the buses cannot be predicted. The waiting times at point of origin, plus the waiting time at connectivity points may increase the overall journey time.
2. No seats guaranteed. So commuting to long distance is still a problem.
3. Buses have multiple stops, journey time would be a bit more. But note that traffic jams etc. are problems for buses and cars in equal measure.
4. If you are a person who wishes to have a very "polished - executive" type of travel, then BMTC travel (or rather any public transport mode) may not be suited for you. You would have to learn a spatter of Kannada, have to be socially aware to deal with people from different strata of society. But I have not seen any major altercations over language issue till date.
sachinpk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:35   #8308
BHPian

The traffic choke up yesterday from golf course to mekhri circle was extremely frustrating to say the least.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:42   #8309
BHPian

Yess Sir, you are right. I should not be mistaken in any respect . I salute everyone who travels by public transport. My whole rant was against the jam at KR Puram-Tin factory every morning which converted 1+crore vehicle like volvo into a container where common people were swinging like simple pendulum after each meter of crawling (meter may have been an overestimated unit of measurement). As usual our Govt. is sleeping. I will see if a new Vidhansabha is constructed in place of Phoneix Mall and all our lawmakers need to take the KR Puram-Tin factory jam everyday. I bet it will be solved in six months time. But alas, we are all very common people and we are supposed to swing like a pendulum on plastic hangers in buses on this stretch everyday.

Last edited by adi_gt : 4th June 2015 at 11:45. Reason: Fixed quotes. Please preview your posts before submitting. Thanks!
Old 4th June 2015, 15:43   #8310
BHPian

Sheer frustration caused me to walk up to the Traffic Police box at Tin Factory and ask the policeman over there as to why do they allow buses to pick passengers on KR puram bridge.

First of all, its not a bus stop. And it causes traffic to back up for kilometers on the ORR and OMR. The traffic police had themselves placed signs for buses not to stop there a few months back. The guy said he's helpless and I should put up a complaint on facebook.

Most Viewed