Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 13:16   #826
BHPian

Finney: Be careful here is a brief on a similar Swift situation which I have come across and learnt to aviod

Facing this every day situation at Somasundrapalya behind HSR layout; A Sliver Swift driven by a guy who apprears drunk belts his car on the single lane road. The 1st time I encountered him, he was coming from the opp direction with High Beam and Fog Lights on. I literally stopped for him to pass by as there was a car parked on the left side of the road, as he had to slow down he pulled down his windows and screamed at me in Kannada asking me to wait as he was passing by. I decided to ignore him and drive away. I encountered him again on couple of occassions and from a distance looking at the speed of the car judged it was him and decided to give way.

I encounter him at about 7:15 PM in the evening and hence now I have decided to ensure that I am not on that stretch around that time just to aviod a unpleasant situation.

I guess he must be a local who has become rich overnight selling his land and feel that he still owns the road he drives on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Looks like every perpetrator of road-rage knew Kannada. And every victim didn't. But surprisingly, Kannadigas are known to be soft-spoken.
OT : Agree that Kannadiga's are soft spoken but doesnt mean everyone who speaks Kannada is a Kannadigas

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 28th August 2009 at 13:27. Reason: Muti Quote added
Old 28th August 2009, 13:22   #827
BHPian

I have lived in bangalore all my life and have riden/driven extensively in and around Bangalore and I used to hate the traffic and the people and the cows and dogs and what not.
Recently I drove down to Hyderabad. The traffic there is 100 times worse man ( no offense meant to anyone here) , this was my personal opinion.
Nobody cares there , Nobody follows traffic signals , one-ways are meant only if you are in an auto and it has to go round. People . Cows and the once in a while dog as well come in your way.
I am not being biased here people , but if you check the traffic in Bangalore you would have atleast one car in about 10 which is from a different state. Each state has a different style of driving , due to the indian mentality , and each driver drives according to how he would have driven in his state. If you check Hyderabad , there maybe one in a hundred vehicles which is not from Andhra and even then the traffic is so bad.
I agree that Bangalore's Infra is really really pathetic , but the guys who crib about the Bangalore Traffic should once in a while just drive down to Hyderabad for some enlightenment.
Just to re-iterate , I mean no offense to anyone , especially the Hyderabadian's ( are they called Hyderabadian's ).
Old 28th August 2009, 15:11   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
Recently I drove down to Hyderabad. The traffic there is 100 times worse man ( no offense meant to anyone here) , this was my personal opinion.
Nobody cares there , Nobody follows traffic signals , one-ways are meant only if you are in an auto and it has to go round. People . Cows and the once in a while dog as well come in your way.
Just to re-iterate , I mean no offense to anyone , especially the Hyderabadian's ( are they called Hyderabadian's ).
I can feel the rage man! I was in Hyderabad for the first time in my car last week. The traffic was horrible and no sense at all anywhere. It is vehicles every where with just inches between vehicles.Was driving in Koti area and you wont believe! One auto guy forcefully folded my ORVM! , extending his hand from his auto and yelled something in Telugu as he wanted space to squeeze himself in a stand still traffic. I was stunned because I am used to driving with both ORVMs open and this guy abusing me for that habit.

But Whitefield, Hitec city,Banjara hills area seemed to be ok. I still came across morons in the opposite lane, while the whole road is empty,but they are present everywhere though.

Nainar
Old 28th August 2009, 15:27   #829
gpa
Senior - BHPian

finneyp,

I'm shocked at the incident that you had to face. What is even worse is the fact that he was trying to physically assult you despite you saying sorry. To teach such morons a lesson, I suggest you keep a pepper spray handy.

When he tried punching you, you should have just given him a blast in his face and he would have gone running for cover. Else, take out your camera phone and tape the incident. All roaring tigers will become meek lambs if you threaten to go to the cops with the video.

Drive safe buddy!

Regards,
gpa
Old 28th August 2009, 15:35   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Else, take out your camera phone and tape the incident. All roaring tigers will become meek lambs if you threaten to go to the cops with the video.

Drive safe buddy!

Regards,
gpa
That can agitate them even further and make things even worse.

As for Hyderabad traffic being worse than Bangalore, i think its just a matter of not being used to it. Every city has bad traffic sense. Except for Goa maybe where everyone is in a relaxed state of mind!

Last edited by amitoj : 28th August 2009 at 15:37.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:46   #831
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your words of comfort!

Hurrycane, as you said avoiding such morons is the best policy!
The thing is sometimes we don't know the nut behind the wheels...

GPA, going to the Police is no use unless you know the higher-ups!
Yes, I need to get a can of Pepper Spray.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:53   #832
Senior - BHPian

Finney, i always assumed you knew kannada mate!

anyways, glad that no harm came out of this and you are safe. these morons are best avoided because taking them on is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.....
Old 28th August 2009, 15:58   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
...for every 1 Bangalore incident, there are 2 in Hyderabad !!........
Quote:
.......Recently I drove down to Hyderabad. The traffic there is 100 times worse man..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
.......I was in Hyderabad for the first time in my car last week. The traffic was horrible and no sense at all anywhere.......
Just as it seemed BBlost's and my posts have triggered a Hyderabad rant in Bangalore, along comes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
...........As for Hyderabad traffic being worse than Bangalore, i think its just a matter of not being used to it. Every city has bad traffic sense........
Thanks Amitoj. Whatever the traffic here is like, it is still home, so would rather rant about it with other locals, and not with Bangaloreans.

Quote:
.......especially the Hyderabadian's ( are they called Hyderabadian's ).
\

RP_812, "Hyderabadi" is the usual term.

Ok, back to your main topic now.

Last edited by straightdrive : 28th August 2009 at 16:00.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:13   #834
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Finney, i always assumed you knew kannada mate!
Sometimes knowing Kannada and keeping mum works to diffuse the situation. This is perhaps the only good aspect of the language barrier.

Last edited by gpa : 28th August 2009 at 16:21.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:21   #835
Senior - BHPian

Well, I know little bit of Kannada, not fluent enough to converse for long!

In this case, our hero was not ready to converse, he was firing from his mouth & tried his hands too!
Old 28th August 2009, 16:29   #836
BHPian

@finneyp

The situation would definitely have gone worse had you done something to that moron or even hurled some abuses at him which may have ruined your weekend too. Its better to ignore these dumbasses and you sure did the right thing.

If he still has his mind in place he would definitely give a thought over this incident later and feel bad for himself.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:29   #837
BHPian

Thats very unfortunate finney, as others suggested please do carry a pepper spray with you, these morons certainly require a pepper face wash for their stupidity.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:37   #838
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
as others suggested please do carry a pepper spray with you, these morons certainly require a pepper face wash for their stupidity.
Pepper spray will of some help to victims. I wonder what would happen if the perpetrator also carries the pepper spray.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:42   #839
BHPian

Good question diabloo, the probability that a moron who gets off his car for a fight carrying a pepper spary is very very low. IMHO its generally carried by those who wants to AVOID a fight rather than indulge in it. But, yes, your point is very valid and we need to be cautious against that as well. The quicker of the two will get benefitted
Old 28th August 2009, 19:09   #840
BHPian

courtesy vs bullying

So i was on my way back from ORR to koramangala and with the diversion now to get into koramangala you have to come all the way around.
I think this is the 14th main hsr bus stand from where you turn in right to get back to jakkasandra crossing.
Now given there is a whole lot of diverted traffic taking this right, 2 lanes are normal for people turning right. I am normally in lane 1 but that moves too slow, so i was in lane 2 today. Just near the signal, i see this toyota innova giving a right indicator and going from 4th to 3rd lanes and then tried to get into lane 2 right in front of me. Now just because he showed the indicator does not mean he has the rights to come in from my left in front of me. So i accelerate and stay close to the car in front of me. He then gets in uncomfortably close and i end getting partially into lane 1 blocking some poor white sedan. The innova guy now lowers his window and starts yelling something about his indicator being on and why i still don't allow him. I try to explain to no avail that he was getting in my way and causing issues for me and car next to me. Given that i am being bullied here and causing issues for the lane1 white car, i decide not to take it and yell a few expletives back at this moron and then move on to take the right as signal might turn red any moment.

This guy now has the nerve to come next to me and yell at me to stop all the way to jakkasandra cross. I refuse to stop and don't even look at him. The the signal comes and he cuts me right before the signal and blocks my path and all other traffic. I am not sure if he is a driver, but has 2 guys on the back, who now lower their window and say why i said expletives and i said in 10 secs of yelling please don't expect pleasentries.

The driver now walks out and tells me to lower my window and I lower and explain him again that he blocked my way and the car in lane 1 - he says you can't see indicator, you should let me in, how old are you (i look young when i shave ) see my age and respect me. I felt like saying, being older and turning on an indicator does not mean i have to give you way to cut me on my left and come in front of me. However i realized there was no point in speaking to these bullies (and they looked some local goons), so i said 'ok uncle sorry' and he left.

I am not sure what this was - his ego, his understanding that if he shows indicator he has the right to come in my lane, if he does something stupid and yells at me but is old i should not yell back, his local goon status.

A good friday drive spoilt by some imbecile !
Maybe I see some of my mistakes, i should be more calm and corteous and allow all innovas to cut into my lane from left side, especially at busy junctions. I should not yell back expletives if a moron does something wrong and then has the nerve to yell at me.

Maybe this old respectful man is on tbhp - innova uncle/goon i am sorry again. i now understand i am so young and hence need to give way to all bullies on the road!

Edit - my exhaust sound may also have irked him!

Last edited by jassi : 28th August 2009 at 19:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks