Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:07   #8626
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Have observed the following in BLR now for past 9 years and having stayed at Kolkata and Mumbai earlier. No offence meant to anyone!

Four wheelers:
1. Headlights (and every other driving lights) on with some on high-beam, even during a mid-day shower
2. Flashers on
3. Rear fogs on (supremely irritating in bumper-to-bumper traffic for the following vehicle)
4. Driving at 5 km/hr (even mighty SUVs like the Fortuner) bang in the middle of the road
5. Queuing up for miles beforehand to avoid 6 inches of water (very common)
6. Interiors totally misted up, absolutely NO idea on HVAC options resulting in a rolling danger-zone
7. Stopping haphazardly wherever they can to wait out the rain causing untold dangers to other traffic
8. Driving totally irrationally and tailgating vehicles on extremely wet roads (having sudden pools of water, tremendous scope for sudden aquaplaning) AFTER the rain to reach somewhere!

Two wheelers:
1. Headlights on with some on high-beam, even during a mid-day shower (maybe justified, not the high beam)
2. Driving at 60+ km/hr and swerving like mad in wet. misty and totally unsuitable conditions
3. Driving at 60+ km/hr BEFORE impending rain to reach somewhere (heaven/hell I think)
4. Queuing up for miles beforehand to avoid 6 inches of water (very common, maybe justified, jury's out)
5. Bunching up at every covered area like flyovers, underpasses etc. to wait out the rain
6. Squeezing into any gap possible in stationary traffic to escape rain (maybe justified, jury's out)
Superb observations. Just adding a few more
Wheels = 2
1) With the exception of ladies most of the gentlemen ignorant of rules and not inclined to follow.
2) Expect people to "adjust" for their mistakes. Eg when overtaking , blatantly coming in front of the traffic in the opposite direction and expecting it to swerve to the left even if there is no space to go left. If the vehicle does not go left then making the maximum abusive gesture with one thumb up fist clenched and hand at 45 degress. (I did this back once with both the hands and the biker actually was shocked beyond belief. Me not being a Bengalurean originally couldn't care less.)
3) Rampant overtaking from any possible direction to go ahead in night or day with our without headlights.
4) Enjoying the power output of the two wheelers without using it responsibly.
5) If someone stands up to these guys they do not know how to react.
6) Shamelessly breaking rules all the time without remorse.

Wheels = 3
1) Undue risk takers and the first to break queues in a traffic jam on single lane roads.
2) Often gang up even though they are guilty party.
3) Many other properties similar to wheels=2

Wheels = 4
1) Regular plate drivers rarely erratic and rule breakers.
2) yellow plates rampant rule breakers. Perhaps due to not being the owners of the vehicles.
3) Taking U turns in parallel paths however impractical it might be. (This is apparently true for wheels = 6 as well. Size no bar.)
4) Honking for no reason to overtake from the left.
5) Eternally in a hurry.
6) Most but not all exceptions to not breaking rules are cabbies who ferry foreigners from some hotel to and from airport or places of work.
7) Can be beaten on some open stretch of road and if they get a taste of their own style they get angry and try to boss their way out due to the heavy chassis weight.

Wheels = 6
1) BMTC drivers limited due to speed. Respect them for their patience for driving long distances. But there are exceptions of bad driving and drivers.
2) Lorries are a bit more sensible drivers.
3) Tankers are a horrid lot with plenty of rash driving and attitude of lack of knowledge of rules.
4) Mostly not touched by cops inspite of going up one-ways.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:20   #8627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
I see both complaints have been booked by BTP. Thanks for raising the complaint.
I had reported few incidents through Public Eye earlier and the status was updated as - Booked / Fined (Don't remember the exact term used by them)

However, on checking the same vehicle number details for any pending fines in the BTP system it shows blank. Since I was tracking this on a regular basis, I dont think vehicle owner would have paid up the fine in between. Hence I have my doubt that BTP is only updating in Public Eye and not actually fining the offenders.

Anyway, I am having another violation pic with me, will try the same again.
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:36   #8628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However, on checking the same vehicle number details for any pending fines in the BTP system it shows blank. Since I was tracking this on a regular basis, I dont think vehicle owner would have paid up the fine in between. Hence I have my doubt that BTP is only updating in Public Eye and not actually fining the offenders.
It takes some time to reflect in the system. Check again after around a week or so.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:46   #8629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However, on checking the same vehicle number details for any pending fines in the BTP system it shows blank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
It takes some time to reflect in the system.
True. It takes anywhere between 2-3 weeks to show up in btis website. I've cross-verified the complaints I raised and have seen them reflected after 2-3 weeks.
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:33   #8630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
It takes some time to reflect in the system.
Yes. I had done the same. I guess the last I checked was some one month after the incident was reported. I lost hope and stopped checking after the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
I raised and have seen them reflected after 2-3 weeks.
Will check the same after reporting another violation, pic of which I have.
Old 26th July 2015, 09:15   #8631
BHPian

Another pothole filled road in question is Dodanekundi main road- the left turn before Marathahalli junction when approaching from HAL side (old airport road). It is a nightmare during rainy season because of no proper street lights, relatively narrow lanes and small divider which can be easily missed.
Some good news- Lately have seen few heaps of Jelly stones on this stretch (GBJ Park side), probably to patch it up.
Old 26th July 2015, 19:55   #8632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A new development in the last 2 weeks on the Hoodi road from Hoodi junction towards ATM junction/IFB factory:
after the Whitefield traffic plan was effected several months ago, almost all the breaks in the median/divider were blocked by using concrete blocks and cementing them. Now at least 4 of them have been broken and removed quite cleanly so don't suspect any foul play by locals.
This allows for more places to criss-cross on the 4 lane one way Probably due to presence of several industrial sheds that have long trucks moving in and out to load/unload materials. Earlier many of these trucks would go on the wrong side to reach their destinations, hope this stops now with more options for them to turn.
This seems to have improved the situation a bit. But these long trucks continue to be parked on the right most lane. Add to that 2 wheelers and tempos moving in the wrong direction.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:28   #8633
Senior - BHPian

Why BTP is toothless tiger & why traffic wardens hesitate to book errant drivers - absolutely no support for low rank staff from top officers.
Quote:
According to the police, Pradeep, a constable attached to the Hebbal traffic police station and Narayan Swamy, the conductor, were involved in the fight. At around 8 am, Pradeep, who was regulating the traffic, noticed a BMTC bus parked in a haphazard manner near the flyover.

He brought it to the notice of Swamy and asked him to tell the driver to park the bus in a proper manner, as it was blocking traffic.

Swamy got enraged and warned Pradeep to speak in a decent manner. This led to a heated argument and both of them indulged in a fight. The public and other BMTC drivers and conductors intervened and stopped the fight.

A few BMTC bus drivers and conductors stopped their vehicles and demanded that the police should arrest Pradeep for his unruly behaviour. The police rushed to the spot and took both of them to the police station. They filed complaints against each other. Pradeep claimed that another person Sangamesh also assaulted him, along with Swamy.
Link: Cop, BMTC conductor in fist fight
Old 27th July 2015, 11:40   #8634
Team-BHP Support

Guys please avoid inner ring road. I don't know what alternate route to take since Vivek nagar is also closed.

Our authorities have decided to relay inner ring road from koramangla to domlur on a Monday morning. It is a royal mess. I don't know who got the brains to start with on a Monday morning at 10am.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:44   #8635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Why BTP is toothless tiger & why traffic wardens hesitate to book errant drivers - absolutely no support for low rank staff from top officers.

Link: Cop, BMTC conductor in fist fight
What I have observed here is public has a scant respect for the police and when it comes to Traffic police, the matter gets worse. There have been many instances where people have driven on the wrong side of the road. The traffic police have been mute witnesses.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:38   #8636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys please avoid inner ring road. I don't know what alternate route to take since Vivek nagar is also closed.

Our authorities have decided to relay inner ring road from koramangla to domlur on a Monday morning. It is a royal mess. I don't know who got the brains to start with on a Monday morning at 10am.
What time was this! I came through that road today morning around 9am. Did not see any activity! I hope they finish by evening.

The only alternative I can think of is outer ring road!
Take right at Sony world signal, go through Koramangala 1st block, join ORR, take left at Marathahalli!
Old 27th July 2015, 12:53   #8637
Team-BHP Support

This was at 10am. I was going on the other side and saw this mess till 10:30am.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:19   #8638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Traffic Wardens are even more power-less. Traffic Wardens are basically citizens who try to regulate traffic as a social service. They have absolutely no powers at all. Traffic Police Constables have all the powers which a police constable in India has (which is not that great as well).

There was a case of motor cycle riders beating up an ASI and a Constable at K.R Puram side when they were stopped for some violation. The higher authorities actually washed their hands off by saying that police men should be in a position to fight back, or take the case to the courts etc.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:21   #8639
BHPian

Has anyone understood traffic diversions implemented around Manyata Tech park? It appeared very illogical to me and I fail to understand the very motive.
Thoughts?
Old 27th July 2015, 21:52   #8640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Two weeks ago, a half a kilometre stretch of road in front of our office was completely closed for a week to re-lay it.
It caused a big inconvenience to our office as we didn't have any other access road.

I had this same question at that time and One of my colleagues told that in future all roads will be done during day time.
It seems roads done during night time was not up to the level and supervision of the work is better during day time.

But I thought they could do one half at a time.

Most Viewed