Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 11:36   #856
BHPian

Maybe Off-topic:
Had to post this. At the cafeteria, while having coffee (a few minutes back), I heard 2 people talking.
One guy said: If you want to drive slow on the highway, drive on the extreme right lane. The guys who drive fast, will take the middle lane and keep going!!

I cannot imagine 2 techies talking that way!!! I felt like giving him a piece of my mind, but stopped myself from it!!!!!
Old 31st August 2009, 11:40   #857
BHPian

By any chance are they young and appears to be new to driving? If thats the case, you could try telling them the purpose of the rightmost lane and why it is not safe to drive slow on the extreme right lane. If they appear to be experienced, GOD SAVE them from accidents, probably, still you could have tried explaining them, but i am sure that they might giggle at your back.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:41   #858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Maybe Off-topic:
Had to post this. At the cafeteria, while having coffee (a few minutes back), I heard 2 people talking.
One guy said: If you want to drive slow on the highway, drive on the extreme right lane. The guys who drive fast, will take the middle lane and keep going!!

I cannot imagine 2 techies talking that way!!! I felt like giving him a piece of my mind, but stopped myself from it!!!!!
Were they talking about India or US?
Old 31st August 2009, 11:43   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Were they talking about India or US?
Sowwie, missed pointing that out: India. They were talking about driving from Bangalore to Chennai. Imagine driving SLOW on the fast lane from Bangalore to Chennai, omigosh! I pity the other drivers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
By any chance are they young and appears to be new to driving? If thats the case, you could try telling them the purpose of the rightmost lane and why it is not safe to drive slow on the extreme right lane. If they appear to be experienced, GOD SAVE them from accidents, probably, still you could have tried explaining them, but i am sure that they might giggle at your back.
Nope these guys were middle aged, the way they were talking I dont think they were new to driving. Looked like a Manager!!
Yup, I wanted to tell them in view of Public Interest, but there were all probabilities of me being termed as nosey or something, so I dint

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st August 2009 at 14:37. Reason: Please read the note in post, thansk
Old 31st August 2009, 11:48   #860
BHPian

Agreed, sometimes its wise to keep our mouths shut Thanks for taking the comments in the right spirit.

Wish, these people get their driving lessons in the right way and contribute towards sane driving. I dont mind if these guys learnt the lesson in the hard way.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:49   #861
Senior - BHPian

^^ You should have talked about doubling life insurance before the trip and walked off your table. They might have got the point, w/o being termed nosey.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:59   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^ You should have talked about doubling life insurance before the trip and walked off your table. They might have got the point, w/o being termed nosey.
. Good one lolz . Man, it dint occur to me at all, I was in a fix when i heard that.

@balajird: hard way, or if i meet them on the highway, I will surely stop and put some sense into them.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st August 2009 at 14:36. Reason: only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully. thanks
Old 1st September 2009, 00:02   #863
BHPian

SpitFire, You are the guy who stands up for others. God bless you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Witnessed a horrible incident last evening at around 19:30.

What took me by surprise was the total lack of concern shown by anyone of the thousands who were witnessing the incident. Shame for us Bangaloreans.
Old 6th September 2009, 15:59   #864
BHPian

Bangalore traffic woes are half created by those 'Techies'! Absolutely disconnected from people and have no regards to road rules, not even to their life! I drive everyday to my office in Whitefield and the max chaos I see is in those places where techies are headed! Yes there are auto/taxi/lorries creating problem too...but all of them have no other go if they want to earn their meals! For the rest of degree wallahs, who often visit foreign coutries and follow road rule there like fish taking to water...they get paid more than what they contribute & even if they are an hour late no cut in salary! I don't understand why they ride on foot path (2 wheelers!), cars that are driven on every lane and slow moving vehicle on right lane while the driver is taking an important call! Sucks big time!

Rest half are created by bad road planning -crosses every 50 m, bus stops right at the junction, dumb signals, no gutsy traffic cops and outdated traffic rules!

For me, driving following all traffice rules (except -I often drive fast on ORR when there is a chance and sure braking the rule here! I am no saint), I get scrates (bikers), being honked when stopped at signal (I switch off)...
Old 6th September 2009, 22:07   #865
Senior - BHPian

^^Funny, the techies follow all rules abroad. The law enforcement there is effective and people are willing to follow the rules and care for their life and others. Here 'me first' rules the roost. Here, rules are for others, and I am important. 'Kaanoon hum se hain hum kanoon se nahin'.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:39   #866
BHPian

Its really very pathetic over here, I take about 45 minutes sometimes to reach home in cunningham road from my college in JC road which is just 6 kms apart. If I'm unlucky on some days, i get stuck for 30 minutes on St.marks road at around 3:30 on my way to the gym when the Bishop cotton boys and Girls school close for the day. Then going back home is another pain as the traffic on Richmond Road, museum road and cubbon road is at its peak at around 5:30 pm.The metro work at some places does not help our cause either. Yesterday i took an hour and a half to get home from koramangala after my Gmat classes.
Old 6th September 2009, 23:39   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amith.2974 View Post
The metro work at some places does not help our cause either. Yesterday i took an hour and a half to get home from koramangala after my Gmat classes.
Tell me about it! It took me 2 hours to drive from Nandidurg Road (TV Tower area) to Brigade Rd and back again. Root cause is simultaneous work by Namma Metro (they have closed off one side of the road on St Marks Road just after the MG Road crossing towards Infantry Road) and by the BWSSB at the Commercial / Kamaraj Road crossing.
Old 7th September 2009, 07:18   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Bangalore traffic woes are half created by those 'Techies'!
I feel enforcement is the Key.

There is no enforcement in Bangalore - assuming that we have somebody to enforce!

I see a lot of difference in how strictly rules are enforced, even between Bangalore and Madras (just look at how big the road medians are in Madras, and how big they are in Bangalore - take a look at the sister thread 'Driving through Chennai' in T-BHP).

I have seen with my own eyes in Madras, in front of Spencers' Plaza, a constable weilding a stick breaking the glass / lights (Yes, breaking into pieces) of all the autos parked in a NO PARKING zone. Can you ever see that in Bangalore?

The day the Bangalore Police muster the guts to enforce rules on RED MONSTERS - that day the techies will fall in line. You cannot have one rule for Volvo drivers and one for techies.

Comparison with the US/Germany doesn't help really - I have driven there too - since in the US/Germany, a "rule is a rule, is a rule". In Texas, George Bush's daughter was fined for overspeeding, when Bush was the President! The Bangalore Police cannot even touch a KSRTC driver!! How can you have one rule for Volvo bus drivers and one for techies !!

Just look at some of the policemen on duty - apart from their uniform and a small tattered notebook, what do they have to enforce anything? They are far too small in number for the traffic, and far less equipped. Even if they jump in front of an erring vehicle, and get killed in the process, they cannot stop the vehicle - they do not have any means to go after the vehicle and apprehend the driver.

Atleast, the following three rules can be strictly enforced, to bring some sanity to Bangalore traffic:
  1. Enforce lane discipline strictly - including the Volvo buses
  2. Remove bus-stops from all the junctions / corners
  3. Enforce vehicles to stop at the STOP lines
There is nothing wrong with Bangalore, that cannot be set right with what is right with Bangalore - with due apologies to Bill Clinton.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:58   #869
Team-BHP Support

Looks like its the morons on the big cars who seem to be misbehaving on the road these days. Spotted an Optra in black who was driving like a madman irrespective of the traffic jam in the Whitefield area as well as a Skoda Laura who was slightly more sober than the Optra but equally frustrating.

Looks like money surely cant buy sense.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:59   #870
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
I have seen with my own eyes in Madras, in front of Spencers' Plaza, a constable weilding a stick breaking the glass / lights (Yes, breaking into pieces) of all the autos parked in a NO PARKING zone. Can you ever see that in Bangalore?

The day the Bangalore Police muster the guts to enforce rules on RED MONSTERS
Tempelhof,

The law enforcement in Chennai is very strict from what you have said. I can't even imagine such a thing being done here in BLR.

Since you have brought up parking, I would like to share an incident that happened to me over the weekend. I was on Commercial Street and I had parked my car near Dickenson Road and decided to walk it up.

I entered Comm Street and from the very begining, I noticed drivers parked beside other cars that were already parked in the parking slots creating a jam as other motorists tried to negotiate between the parked cars and shoppers. No amount of coaxing from the parking attendant seemed to work as these drivers would not move.

Finally the cops came and started pasting challans on the driver's side windows fining people who had parked their cars when there was a scramble by the imbicles to move their vehicles.

A pedestrian was trying to negotiate between a parked car and the one standing beside it when the driver suddenly moved the car knocking him down. It was a minor fall and the guy who was in his mid 30s managed to stand up instantly. I wonder what would have been the case if it were someone elderly.

In the ensuing melee, the guy who was knocked down was fighting with the Innova driver (which by the way was a state car) when the cops arrived.

I didn't wait to find out what the end result was and continued walking. However, I feel the cop would have let the guy go free without even fining the moron!

Perhaps, if the cops adopted methods used by their Chennai counterparts, these incidents will be a thing of the past. Also, IMO, Comm Street should go back to the days when it was a no-parking zone.

Regards,
gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks