Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 22:18   #8776
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Any idea what's happening at the NGEF - Old Madras road junction? Have they blocked the right turn towards Indiranagar/BMEL (while coming from NGEF side)? I saw that they've put continuous divider on the road around the metro campus and the divider only lets your turn left onto the old madras road.
I passed that way on Saturday night and the right turn was blocked. In addition, the signal there was at a permanent red which caused a bit of confusion. Looks like a new experiment

They have also blocked the right/U turn just after Gopalan Mall. So you need to go past the railway under bridge and then take U turn.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 22:26   #8777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Saw this on twitter earlier today. Is this the junction you are talking of?

@CPBlr. In order to decongest Bayappanahalli junction, right turn from Sadananda nagar is banned. U turn is provided on O M road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I passed that way on Saturday night and the right turn was blocked. In addition, the signal there was at a permanent red which caused a bit of confusion. Looks like a new experiment

They have also blocked the right/U turn just after Gopalan Mall. So you need to go past the railway under bridge and then take U turn.
all the way till there to take a u turn?? That can easily add 10-15mns to the travel time.
Old 11th August 2015, 07:51   #8778
BHPian

Quote:
all the way till there to take a u turn?? That can easily add 10-15mns to the travel time.
u turn is at Byapppanahalli metro station, about 100 metres from NGEF Exit. This is working well to reduce signal delay at the exit, normally requiring 3 cycles to come out of NGEF. Now there is no waiting.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:12   #8779
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
u turn is at Byapppanahalli metro station, about 100 metres from NGEF Exit. This is working well to reduce signal delay at the exit, normally requiring 3 cycles to come out of NGEF. Now there is no waiting.
Confused a little bit. When one takes the NGEF Road from Sadanandanagar/Kasturi Nagar and reaches Old madras road, right turn is not allowed, got this. Now, if one turns left, about 100m or so ahead there is an opening (at this junction there was a left turn to the erstwhile NGEF Road that's now part of the BMRCL campus) where one can make a U-turn, correct ? If so, this is not bad really and one won't have to go all the way near the ORR Flyover.

Next, the Metro station is on left and then another break in median where you can turn right or make a U-turn.
After this, is the Nagavarapalya/Benniganahalli junction after Gopalan mall, which is now blocked so one has to go further and make a U-turn before the ORR flyover (Haiku Honda on right).

Last edited by NPV : 11th August 2015 at 11:15.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:21   #8780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Confused a little bit. When one takes the NGEF Road from Sadanandanagar/Kasturi Nagar and reaches Old madras road, right turn is not allowed, got this. Now, if one turns left, about 100m or so ahead there is an opening (at this junction there was a left turn to the erstwhile NGEF Road that's now part of the BMRCL campus) where one can make a U-turn, correct ? If so, this is not bad really and one won't have to go all the way near the ORR Flyover.

Next, the Metro station is on left and then another break in median where you can turn right or make a U-turn.
After this, is the Nagavarapalya/Benniganahalli junction after Gopalan mall, which is now blocked so one has to go further and make a U-turn before the ORR flyover (Haiku Honda on right).
Yes, you are correct. The U turn/right turns on OMR once you take a forced left from NGEF side are all open.

I was specifically talking about the closure of the junction after Gopalan Mall, which means to enter Gopalan Mall, one has to go and take U turn before the ORR flyover. Guess, both the closures got mixed up in my earlier post.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:44   #8781
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was specifically talking about the closure of the junction after Gopalan Mall, which means to enter Gopalan Mall, one has to go and take U turn before the ORR flyover. Guess, both the closures got mixed up in my earlier post.
This is good, I think it will reduce the confusion at the NGEF-Old madras road junction and the Suranjan Das Road-Old madras road junction hardly 50m ahead. I think it is time to think of a flyover/underpass at Suranjan Das Road (shifting the railway line from BEML can prove to be the Achilles heel here).

Closure of the Nagavarapalya junction is also good (since 3 weeks or so now) since it was slowing down traffic moving straight on old madras road.
Old 11th August 2015, 13:16   #8782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it is time to think of a flyover/underpass at Suranjan Das Road (shifting the railway line from BEML can prove to be the Achilles heel here).
With the Metro line running parallel to the road, I think we can forget about any flyover at Suranjandas Road/80 ft Road/100 ft Road junctions on OMR. Is there any scope for land acquisition on the south side (Indiranagar/CV Raman Nagar) of OMR?
Old 11th August 2015, 14:26   #8783
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any scope for land acquisition on the south side (Indiranagar/CV Raman Nagar) of OMR?
May be possible between metro station (side opposite to station) and 100 feet road on Old madras road - mostly it is land owned by HAL, BMRCL, Isolation hospital and the church and their school adjacent to each other. But Swami Vivekananda station is in between 80 feet road and 100 feet road!
Old 11th August 2015, 14:30   #8784
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. The U turn/right turns on OMR once you take a forced left from NGEF side are all open.

This is such a welcome step. I have moved into this area and this was a nightmare. Now the things are quite smooth. Not sure what impact it has on the traffic coming from Gopalan Mall though and especially in the evenings.

Our endeavor should be to keep traffic moving rather than provide innumerable right cuts. Left turn should be mostly free. Old Airport road is a prime example - with so many right cuts, it is a driver's nightmare.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:56   #8785
BHPian

Maybe some of the members have already read this. But its an interesting read

http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/a...uter-ring-road
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 17:13   #8786
Distinguished - BHPian

The mess around Bellandur on ORR has started.

Already traffic piled up all the way till Kadubeesinahalli. The carriageway towards Marathahalli from Bellandur is free.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 17:18   #8787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post

http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/a...uter-ring-road
One other development that is currently below the radar and has not got much publicity is the new Tech Park coming up on Sarjapur Road. Next to the Carmelaram Railway Overbridge and Decathlon. Approx 2.5 Km from Wipro. The construction has been proceeding at a rapid pace and will be ready by end of this year. As per reports, this is being done by the promoters of Ecospace. Expected to have 2 million Sq Feet of space and I assume can accommodate several thousand employees.

Sarjapur Road is already choked and busy. I think this new development will aggravate the issues on Sarjapur Road and that will spill over to ORR too.

http://rgafacilities.com/blog/portfolio/rga-tech-park/
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 18:20   #8788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Quote:

Quote:
This is good, I think it will reduce the confusion at the NGEF-Old madras road junction and the Suranjan Das Road-Old madras road junction hardly 50m ahead. I think it is time to think of a flyover/underpass at Suranjan Das Road (shifting the railway line from BEML can prove to be the Achilles heel here).

Closure of the Nagavarapalya junction is also good (since 3 weeks or so now) since it was slowing down traffic moving straight on old madras road.
Quote:
With the Metro line running parallel to the road, I think we can forget about any flyover at Suranjandas Road/80 ft Road/100 ft Road junctions on OMR. Is there any scope for land acquisition on the south side (Indiranagar/CV Raman Nagar) of OMR?
Thanks guys! Just went through it this morning at around 8.30am. There was no waiting at all. Wonder how the situation is during peak traffic.
One additional good thing they've done is to block the right most lane coming from big bazaar side towards the NGEF junction to aid the u-turn.
Old 11th August 2015, 18:25   #8789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
The mess around Bellandur on ORR has started.
Any idea what has changed during the last week for the mess to go to such extremes? I am sorry, I may missed a few earlier posts. I know we always complained about ORR, but what suddenly changed to make it get even more attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98
The BTP gets a few more beatings, but generally in all other developed countries town ship planning (including planning for roads, bridges etc.) are done by the local self governments, with the analysis and reports prepared by experts in the domain. Our equivalent of this in Bengaluru is the Bengaluru City Corporation and the main civic agency the BBMP. The Traffic Police are never traffic experts, but they are now forced to wear that hat as well. Their experience (on vehicle movement etc.) is the only input they have, and they still would have to use the "trial & error" approach. In fact I have started appreciating BTP for their patience, and at least making some attempt to improve things, rather than passing the buck or sit idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
One other development that is currently below the radar and has not got much publicity is the new Tech Park coming up on Sarjapur Road. Next to the Carmelaram Railway Overbridge and Decathlon. Approx 2.5 Km from Wipro.
Oh yes!! My understanding is that this huge campus, is also meant to house offices, mall and also residential apartments. The narrow roads near CRLM railway station, and the slightly bigger Sarjapur Road is going to be a big time mess now. Add to this another big office of Wipro just 2kms away. Commuters who plan to use CRLM to board their trains (mainly Keralites boarding the trains in the evening), will have a tough time even approaching the station.

Bangalore city has to get decongested, the government may not do try that, but ultimately the citizens may have to do that considering their own living comforts & health.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 18:53   #8790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Any idea what has changed during the last week for the mess to go to such extremes? I am sorry, I may missed a few earlier posts. I know we always complained about ORR, but what suddenly changed to make it get even more attention.
It was brewing all the while, as more companies moved to their new office spaces in Ecoworld and the various tech parks between Intel and Ecospace. Meaning more cabs (sudden peak) and cars. Now since BTP has made some changes in the service road entry/exit near Ecospace, situation has worsened and everyone has to get 'adjusted' to it. This is the learning period and I am sure everyone will alter their commute timing, mode of transport or what not.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks