Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 19:13   #76
Senior - BHPian

P1tBull the post you quoted is a year old. Please read the dates before posting .
Old 24th September 2007, 11:42   #77
Team-BHP Support

This thread can never go out of fashion, i guess.

Back to Bangalore after a 2 week absence, and am so hung up with the crazy driving antics on display. Took me close to an hour to do the 6 kms trip to office, and my rants have started.

Yesterday was on my car driving along the service road which links Airport road/Marathalli junction to the ORR towards KR Puram..the road was a single direction, one track road and there was this hero on a splendor who was trying to overtake me from the left. He rips his bike, and tries his stunt, but then the inevitable happens. As is usually the case, some guy on a bike emerges from the parking lot beside the road, and this hero goes bang into him. Both fall down in a heap, which i observed from my car's rear view mirror. The last i saw was them both stand up.
I didnt care ... after all he didnt care for his own life. I would be happy if he had learnt his lesson.
Old 24th September 2007, 11:48   #78
BHPian

Here is an open question to all and Sundry.
What have YOU done to make our roads a better place to be? We all crib and continue to follow our own personal rule book where there is a personal 'limit' / allowance to breaking rules.
Come on folks. What can we do about making the roads a better place to be?
Old 24th September 2007, 22:16   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
What have YOU done to make our roads a better place to be? We all crib and continue to follow our own personal rule book where there is a personal 'limit' / allowance to breaking rules.
Come on folks. What can we do about making the roads a better place to be?
You see my friend, we do the work we are paid to do. There are people being paid with our tax money to take care of these things. And if you are given some work at office or wherever it is you work, and if you dont do it properly, you'll be definitely in for a lot of cribbing!

I dont want to sound like a selfish moron, but after working for 8 hours a day and also spending 3 hours on travel to and from office, I have no energy even to cook my own food. I tried to bring to attention the problems faced by road users from Domlur to ITPL and also possible solutions to it in another thread (I think it died a premature death). But how exactly can we get this message across to the concerned authorities? You can't expect us to take days off from our work to man the traffic and risk getting run over by some SOB....

2 of my colleagues who commute from Banshankari to ITPL were in the company bus for 30 hours in the last week of August! That is 6 hours a day.... the KSRTC volvo bus takes 5 hrs 30 mins to go from Bangalore to Chennai! And one chap finally found a project in our Majestic office and jumped last week, despite the fact he loved the current project and the gang. Why? Because he couldn't take it anymore.

Now since my rant is over, if anyone is planning to form a group and approach the authorities, please count me in! I am on my last nerve....
Old 24th September 2007, 22:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
one more thing is u have signal for left turn( it is free every where in the country except where there is a lane joining in) but in banaglore u have to wait. the driver who has to pass straight or turn right will come in extreme left and block the left turners also.
My common sense says there should be *no_free_left_turns* until and unless there is an underpass or overbridge for the pedestrians. How would a pedestrian cross the road at a free left turn?

Root cause of the problem is that we have forgot the basic courtsey towards other human beings in this rat race of life.
Old 25th September 2007, 02:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemarauder View Post
My common sense says there should be *no_free_left_turns* until and unless there is an underpass or overbridge for the pedestrians. How would a pedestrian cross the road at a free left turn?

Root cause of the problem is that we have forgot the basic courtsey towards other human beings in this rat race of life.
True.. I have seen this so many times. Vehicles keep turning left, and have no regard for people trying to cross the road. Even if the person trying to get across to the pavement is an elderly individual or a lady with her kid(s), not one person bothers to stop.

I saw this happen at the junction of CMH rd & Double rd, sometime about 5-6years ago. There were a bunch of guys on bikes,all turning left towards Ulsoor.The cop was letting traffic move on CMH road. A lady and her little son were trying to get across the road. Bikes kept on moving non-stop,making a left while traffic moved on the other side. This lady was stuck for a good 3-4 minutes,and not one person bothered to stop and let her pass. It so happened that a friend of mine had just gotten out of this gym (not sure what it was called) and he saw this happen. being 6'3" and easily about 110-120kgs, the sheer sight of him makes people tremble. He caught hold of one of the guys,and pushed him onto the pavement. Bang!! The petrol tank struck the stone slab,and the guy was fuming as he had been humiliated. My friend pulled him to a side, told him to respect others on the road, and asked him never to repeat this in his life. The cop came running,and thanked my friend for teaching the guy his lesson.

Might have been harsh, but it sure was effective.
Old 25th September 2007, 04:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
You see my friend, we do the work we are paid to do. There are people being paid with our tax money to take care of these things. And if you are given some work at office or wherever it is you work, and if you dont do it properly, you'll be definitely in for a lot of cribbing!
This is true. Why must we always have to listen to someone say 'what do you do to make it better'? I pay my taxes, that's what I do. Road tax, vehicle tax, petrol cess, income tax, sales tax, value added tax, and a whole bunch of other taxes. Where do these go? If I decide to man a traffic signal one day, is someone going to cut me a slice of the pie?
Old 25th September 2007, 10:24   #83
Team-BHP Support

Well said, v1p3r !!
Each one has a certain responsibility towards his job, and he should stick to making sure he has done it well, and to the levels expected of him, if not better.

This morning while on the way to work, while waiting at Marathalli junction saw an incident where a certain 2 wheeler rider was banged up by a guy on a Getz. In all probability, the biker in his eternal hurry to inch forward must have scraped the car, and muy even have defended his actions. Was a scene to behold.. one tight rap from the car driver, and the biker's helmet goes flying. He bends picks it up, appears ashamed, and carries on with his quest for the MotoGP.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:00   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Well said, v1p3r !!
Each one has a certain responsibility towards his job, and he should stick to making sure he has done it well, and to the levels expected of him, if not better.

This morning while on the way to work, while waiting at Marathalli junction saw an incident where a certain 2 wheeler rider was banged up by a guy on a Getz. In all probability, the biker in his eternal hurry to inch forward must have scraped the car, and muy even have defended his actions. Was a scene to behold.. one tight rap from the car driver, and the biker's helmet goes flying. He bends picks it up, appears ashamed, and carries on with his quest for the MotoGP.
Our responsibilities do not end begin and end with paying taxes. Taxes give you better roads and better regulatory systems. You have a right to demand that. Well that is your right provided you exercised your franchise to elect the government.
It is however inappropriate to expect cops to teach drivers better driving. Thats where my question is focused at. Do we do everything possible to follow the law and etiquettes when driving and do our little bit to make roads a better place?
You go to the ration-shop or multi-plex you see people standing in the queue for their turn. Not very often do you see people jump the line? Why? Is there a law somewhere people are so diligently following? No, common sense prevails. They know that it is only for better. And who taught the public to do this? Self taught right? It is a disease called discipline that spreads. You see two people in front of you waiting in a queue, the decent person in you wants to wait behind them. YOu see a person opening a door and waving you in saying 'After you' the gentle-person in you wants to say 'Thank you' and do the same some other time to some other person.
Why cant we do the same thing on roads to begin with? Have courtesy, etiquettes.
India is not the only place with Traffic jams. Even a 12 lane 'Garden state parkway' faces bumper to bumper traffic in peak hours. It takes a good one hour to cross even 1 mile where people pay toll. No one complains. People wait patiently. They get irritated and one or two jumps the lines. People honk and move on. They dont get into the 'Ghetto' mode and everyone does not start jumping and the place does not become a screaming zoo.
That is the difference.
Given that Law is an *** and government is not doing everything possible
However, we are responsible for the rest.

Read the other forum topics and see how many complain about how they are not able to take an 'S' bend in a city fly-over at 80 coz their tyres are bad. Are you saying that is responsible driving?
come on folks. Lets forget changing the world for a moment. We will come to it. Lets begin with ourselves.
Old 25th September 2007, 11:02   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
This is true. Why must we always have to listen to someone say 'what do you do to make it better'? I pay my taxes, that's what I do. Road tax, vehicle tax, petrol cess, income tax, sales tax, value added tax, and a whole bunch of other taxes. Where do these go? If I decide to man a traffic signal one day, is someone going to cut me a slice of the pie?
In my opinion, taxes we pay is totally different matter and doing what we are supposed to do when on roads is different. Sticking to basics and not blocking anyone else on road is important. If we follow the road rules without even thinking about how and why others dont follow rules can make the difference.

Then I am sure, you will never get a chance/need to man the traffic signal.
Old 25th September 2007, 12:10   #86
Team-BHP Support

Venkatesh, not quoting your long post here, but let me put my points across. You are saying that if i follow traffic rules, others would begin to emulate me? Quite wrong there. Whenever there is an option, most 2 wheeler riders would rather ride on the footpath than on the roads. I DONT. When many race from the wrong side of the road just to get in front of the other vehicles which are patiently waiting in line, i DONT.

There are times when i feel i am the only dumb guy waiting while all others whiz past, and yet, i dont indulge in the same.

As for cops, if they are meant to regulate traffic and also ensure rules are followed, its their duty. They shouldnt just sit around waiting to fine someone with an out of state registration, rather than help streamline traffic. Like i said before, they have a duty for which they are paid, and they should stick to it.

I havent mentioned anything at all about electing the government in my post, and so dont see the need for you to bring that up as a reply to my post.

In Bangalore, the prime reason for traffic getting held up at a junction for really bizzare periods is coz some cop decides the other side has inifinite right of way, while all others should wait. Had they let the traffic flow smoothly following the traffic signal durations, noone would have to wait for like 10 mins or so, just to move a few centimetres forward.

As far as paying my taxes are concerned, however much i lament about it, i end up paying it. Also, i have duly paid road tax on my two wheeler for running it in a different state. My car also has this paid. Now, i ask for what i paid, and thats a really valid question.

Just a question for you, my friend.. what exactly have YOU done other than question the rest of the lot?
Old 25th September 2007, 12:29   #87
BHPian

Drive With A Smile

I Agree with all the points in your post here. I totally understand the points. Quoting your post was just a matter of replying to a topic and not to point fingers at anything in particular.
Iam just trying to get a movement started here where there are people putting smiles on the road. I;m as frustrated as every one else. No differences there and am just trying to approach the problem differently.
I'm trying here because there are so many of us who are passionate about driving and where else to start this subject but here.
I'm not pointing fingers at any one individual here in any of my post and as for exercising franchise i'm only saying that it is our Right to demand good roads and infrastructure having paid taxes and done our bit as a good citizen and again nothing about 'YOU' in particular.

Now, as for what i have done.
Well, i have posted a bunch of things I do titled 'Road etiquettes' in a different section called Road I follow every one of those to begin with.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...road-rage.html

I agree that i end up looking as the jackass most of the time. I still believe that courtesy begets courtesy and i have seen people react positively in 5 out of 100 times. I believe it will get better. The warmth just needs to spread.
No offense to anyone and i repeat am just trying to start a good thing here.

I have however noticed that whenever I bring this topic up, people get agitated. Not just in this forum, its almost everywhere.
I still believe that if even 50% of team-bhp tries to drive with a smile(or do we already do?), the ripple effect will be significant.

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 25th September 2007 at 12:34.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

So do you always drive with a smile ? Lets say some nitwit decides to cut your path and you loose control of the car. You still continue smile and drive ?

Quote:
I have however noticed that whenever I bring this topic up, people get agitated.
Well when I can follow traffic rules and not break them, I expect every fellow driver on road to follow suit.Else they have no right to be on the road.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:19   #89
BHPian

Smile :)

Yes. I dont get worked up at the git who cut my path. But i stay calm. and look Saintly and just wave the git on. Having driven in crazy Nungambakkam traffic for years, i have learned that the best course of action is to stay calm and let gits through. Afterall they are all only in a hurry to get to the next light.
To admit the truth. I do get 'tested' (by gits )on my policies more frequently than i hope to be.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
What have YOU done to make our roads a better place to be?
What have the GOVT done?

1. Is it rocket science to figure out that BAD Road Design leads to BAD Traffic?

2. Is it rocket science to figure out that without bus bays buses will stop in the middle of the road blocking all traffic?

3. Is it rocket science to understand that just following LANE discipline will solve 50% of Bangalore's problems?

You see....it's not rocket science. It's because bird-brains rule.

-- Torqy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks