Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 23:13   #9211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Insane, ridiculous, horrible, pathetic, terrible, mind numbing traffic today.

Took me eternity to get from CMRIT to Brand Factory. Took me a good 90 minutes. Inch by inch traffic all the way from CMRIT.

I remember seeing a blue colour Vento ML 2545 registration with two Team-BHP stickers at the back. Was driving very calmly and on low beam on Varthur Main Road. I tip my hat to you, sir!
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 09:17   #9212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Insane, ridiculous, horrible, pathetic, terrible, mind numbing traffic today.

Took me eternity to get from CMRIT to Brand Factory. Took me a good 90 minutes. Inch by inch traffic all the way from CMRIT.

I remember seeing a blue colour Vento ML 2545 registration with two Team-BHP stickers at the back. Was driving very calmly and on low beam on Varthur Main Road. I tip my hat to you, sir!
Thats why I ended up taking some short cut following company cabs and avoided that stretch. After taking the compulsory left near SAP labs, I took the next right which took me a while to reach the ring road near Ezone club. It took around twenty minutes at around 4:35PM. It seems that wholes stretch from CMRIT to Marathahalli was choked. Looking forward to a good day tomorrow.
Old 17th September 2015, 22:47   #9213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thats why I ended up taking some short cut following company cabs and avoided that stretch. After taking the compulsory left near SAP labs, I took the next right which took me a while to reach the ring road near Ezone club. It took around twenty minutes at around 4:35PM. It seems that wholes stretch from CMRIT to Marathahalli was choked. Looking forward to a good day tomorrow.
This is the route my sister in law always takes in her office cab. But the U Turn on ORR is quite scary as buses never stop for you. But you skip the whole mess near Kundalahalli, Marathahalli Bride and Brand Factory. It's well worth the extra km or so.

She left her office at 8:30PM while I left at 7:30PM. We both reached home at the same time.

I am going to office tomorrow only because I expect the ride to be good. I need to clear the demons from yesterday if I am to go back there!
Old 18th September 2015, 09:21   #9214
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
But you skip the whole mess near Kundalahalli, Marathahalli Bride and Brand Factory. It's well worth the extra km or so.
Yeah well worth it if you're meeting your Bride at Marathahalli

On a serious note, that route is now frequented by a lot of people especially cabbies, as someone said recently, "everyone in Bangalore knows all the short cuts"
Old 18th September 2015, 11:00   #9215
BHPian

Considering that this is a long weekend, what would be the likely traffic situation on hosur road today. Planning to leave koramangala I block at 6 pm today heading towards electronic city phase I.

Please advise, would it make sense to leave the car at home and take cab?
Old 18th September 2015, 11:17   #9216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yeah well worth it if you're meeting your Bride at Marathahalli

On a serious note, that route is now frequented by a lot of people especially cabbies, as someone said recently, "everyone in Bangalore knows all the short cuts"
Haha. Considering how long people spend on Marathahalli BridGe, I would not be surprised if they decide to have a date while they're at it!

Yes, a lot of people do frequent this route. But even Google Maps suggests the same route these days. It doesn't even show Kundalahalli and Marathahalli Bridge route as an option! I have been on that route a few times, and except for the road that joins ORR, traffic is always moving that side.

What I have also noticed is Traffic Cops seem to clear vehicles coming through Karthik Nagar a lot quicker than the vehicles on Varthur Main Road.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:52   #9217
BHPian

Seems like a traffic camera is being installed at Hoodi junction. Saw some work today morning. Not sure if I am right. This is a place for all kinds of rule breakers. There is a long queue of vehicles moving in the wrong direction and the people with right of way are made to wait!!! The pathetic bus stop location right after the signal adds to the chaos and havoc. These days driving on the wrong side is considered correct if headlights are on or hazard lights are flashing
Old 18th September 2015, 16:52   #9218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Considering that this is a long weekend, what would be the likely traffic situation on hosur road today. Planning to leave koramangala I block at 6 pm today heading towards electronic city phase I.

Please advise, would it make sense to leave the car at home and take cab?
I really don't think there will be much traffic in that direction today. People have already taken today off and would have left the city on Wednesday evening itself.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 17:17   #9219
Senior - BHPian

Husband booked for negligence after wife dies in pothole mishap.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../49029404.cms?
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 18:41   #9220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Husband booked for negligence after wife dies in pothole mishap.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../49029404.cms?
Booking the husband took them absolutely no time. But booking the authorities can be done only after investigation. How much more pathetic can it get?
Driving a two-wheeler has become extremely dangerous these days. I take out my Activa once in a while but it feels so risky. I stick to the extreme left but still big/fast vehicles tail me so dangerously. Big risk of being rear ended always. The other day I was driving from Hoodi Signal towards Kundalahalli. Large potholes exist on the road. Feels so dangerous to slow down as you might get knocked off. A car is much more secure and safe. Everyone speaks about the increasing traffic due to one person in one car. But need to do it for dear life. Using public transport is a nightmare with the excessively crowded buses, autos who do not agree to come anywhere (drivers prefer reading the newspapers to working) and metro which is not really functional as of now.
rohanak1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 19:20   #9221
Senior - BHPian

Went past HSR along ORR. Saw the private vehicles parked along the road. All entries, exits to HSR were blocked. We are not new to blocking roads for some events. It happens during bundhs, festivals.
Frankly, other than imitating what was done in some other city, I still don't get the purpose.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 19:47   #9222
Senior - BHPian

The HSR layout initiative will die soon , just a matter of time.

And while the govt talks of public transport, 5 buses of Zipgo the aggregator were seized.

Appears that the govt wants BMTC to maintain its monopoly in the city.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle7670500.ece

Last edited by sdp1975 : 20th September 2015 at 19:49.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 20:59   #9223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
And while the govt talks of public transport, 5 buses of Zipgo the aggregator were seized.
The Hindu has also clearly figured out the reason why the buses were seized. They did not have a stage carriage permit. This a clear violation of Sec 72 M.V Act, 1988. Section 2. sub-section 40 clearly defines what a stage carriage is. I am bit surprised that ZipGo did not check the rule books before starting such a service.

PS: Even the private inter-state buses which goes and come into the state in large numbers every day is actually doing an illegal (or quite close to it), and violating the provisions of the M.V Act. These buses are classified as contract carriages. Sec 2 subsec 7 defines the "contract carriage" very clearly. There has to be a contract made up between the person taking in a "group" of passengers, and these buses cannot pick up or drop people, who are not part of the "group" listed in the contract. From what I have seen, these buses always state that they are actually taking a "group of tourists", where as we all know that people just use them on an individual basis just to reach home (or back to Bangalore) .
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 21:14   #9224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
...They did not have a stage carriage permit.

... Even the private inter-state buses which goes and come into the state in large numbers every day is actually doing an illegal...
The private inter-state buses, and most of those bling-bling buses found on Hosur road ferrying people from Attibele etc to KR Market etc utilise what's a contract carriage permit. You'd be surprised if I tell you that many of these buses don't even pay the requisite tax, which the hyper-active RTOs never bother about. And those interstate private buses (like the KPN, SRM, Kallada etc) which submit the list of "tourists" for each trip that they undertake, shamelessly claim to have ferried people like Obama, Bill Clinton, Kim Jong Un, etc.

Many of the taxis operated by Ola, Uber etc do not have the permit to ply between KIA and the city, but who cares!

Though I'd rather have the BMTC fill the gaps in public transport, it's quite a retrograde step to kill such ride-sharing initiatives as ZipGo in the name of permit violations and the like. Clearly shows the misplaced priorities of the whole mechanism
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 22:56   #9225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
You'd be surprised if I tell you that many of these buses don't even pay the requisite tax, which the hyper-active RTOs never bother about. And those interstate private buses (like the KPN, SRM, Kallada etc) which submit the list of "tourists" for each trip that they undertake
Sir, it is not that I don't know it. A pretty decent amount is given to all these officials on a regular basis by the Lava Kushas (of Hosur Rd.), as well as the KPNs, Sharmas etc. That is why I used the word "surprised" when I came to know that ZipGo had not checked the rule books . Things would fall in place when ZipGo learns some lessons from Lava Kusha .

Most Viewed