Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 13:44   #916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Funny, some transporters will spend hours at a tea stall gossiping about how to save the world, but once on the roads they want to reach ASAP.
given the world needs to be saved immediately, maybe they are all going to UN to propose they can save the world and want to reach there asap

i just ordered my set of tbhp stickers and was thinking if it makes sense to put the 'i drive safe' sticker - i dont think i drive safe anymore, due to the other morons on the road. Perhaps we need a sticker which says 'i can drive safe, if you drive safe' or maybe 'help me help you'

Last edited by jassi : 11th September 2009 at 13:47.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:02   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

The callousness of civic authorities in Bangalore never ceases to amaze me!

Around 3 months back, we went for a 600km BLR-Ooty-Mysore-BLR trip with a total of 5 adults + 2 kids + mounds of luggage in my Aveo. It was the first time I had loaded the car so much and was apprehensive of the GC.

Guess where I badly scraped the underbody? Not on the highway at Mandya/Maddur/Ramanagram/Chennapatna/Nanjangud/Segur Ghats (Kalhatti)/Ooty/Coonoor/Mysore etc but at Millers Road (outside Millers 46) approaching Bangalore Cantonment Station!!! Why? Because some dolt had created an awesome speedbreaker which was not only unusually tall but wide as well. Mind you, wide but not wide enough to let both wheels ride up at the same time for anything more than a Santro/Alto wheelbase length.

So what happens? I remember it, carefully choose the best side (it's a one way road), crawl over the damn thing and (ever so) gently ease down the front wheels. Net effect: it scrapes continuously under the entire sill/doors and also touches the tailpipe after the rear wheels!!!

Ordinarily, I would blame only myself for overloading the Aveo but not when I am returning from a 600km round trip with scraping even once!!!! Note that this speedbreaker is not made by a so called 'illiterate bunch of villagers' on a seldom used single lane village road to slow down tractors/trucks. It is bang in a area with very heavy traffic in the IT capital of India on a major road leading to the critical NH7 (Hyderabad) to the new showpiece airport!!!!

BTW, it's been gone some time now except that the dolts have chopped of the top leaving an ugly thing where, no doubt, some poor 2-wheeler rider will meet his end some day.

I am all in favour of speedbreakers (for the BMTC and boy racers) but someone please note that a speedbreaker is to SLOW down vehicles to around 15/20 km/hr and not to bring them to a complete stop. The answer )which is now appearing on some roads) is the build a kind of raised pedestrian crossing which will allow most cars to climb on and then climb off. THAT is a speedbreaker!

Frankly, having extensively driven/being driven across many Tier I/Tier II cities in India, IMHO, Bangalore's civic authorities simply do not display even 1/4th the level of competence required to match up to the 'shining modern' image of Bangalore. One trip around Bangalore will be enough to prove that!

Disclaimer :-): I have been in Bangalore now for 2 1/2 years plus and have also worked in Mumbai, Hyderabad and Kolkata so no one needs to take personal offence at my critcism. I consider myself to be an Indian first and truly feel sad at the civic mismanagement here.

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th September 2009 at 14:11. Reason: Typo
Old 11th September 2009, 14:21   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
That's the only way to slow down boy racers on bikes and the unrelenting BMTC bus drivers who smother the small humps at speed!
OT: @gpa, my man, where are you? Long time
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
given the world needs to be saved immediately, maybe they are all going to UN to propose they can save the world and want to reach there asap
Old 11th September 2009, 15:52   #919
BANNED

Today morning about 0920 hours on Old Madras Road. Coming from KR Puram side after the Big Bazaar signal there is another signal after that before you get to the NGEF road. This is an orphaned poor little signal. No one cares what it shows and all just drive through - Red, Amber, Green or any other color it can manage.

Since i am a new guy on this route, I STOP for red. Now when a Bolero stops everyone behind stops. Law of the Jungle.

That's it!! everyone goes hand on the horn button. I don't budge an inch. Whole lot of circus has started behind me. The guy right behind wants to reverse and get out from behind me. The guy behind him doesn't know what's happening.

Seeing me stop a couple of other folks with some self dignity stop too. Now this creates a bigger nuisance for the guy behind me as he is now totally blocked. He now opens the door stands with one leg outside and is probably shouting out to me and the guy next to me. Both of us dont look back. He steps out and the signal goes green we drive off. Didn't see him after that.

Last edited by Spitfire : 11th September 2009 at 15:53.
Old 11th September 2009, 19:02   #920
BHPian

"Both of us dont look back."- Simply one of the BEST things to do when shouted at by morons . But just ensure that he doesn't come to you for an assault. Sad but true, when the ego kicks in people are brain-dead. Frankly, I'm a bit scared when I'm at a strange part of the city with no friends around, to heckle the wrong-doers.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:31   #921
Senior - BHPian

Good job done, Spitfire!! I commend anyone who can stop at the lights and not budge.Thats what the lights are meant for.
I had the similar experience on the new road to the airport.Dropping my sister-in-law one morning,I stopped at the lights just after the Air Force base. I see cars fly by in the other lanes & I feel like a dud sitting there waiting for the lights to turn green. The slowly, a person driving a Lancer pulls up, and he decides to wait too. Then came a truck driver,and followed suit. I was really happy that some people do bother to stop at these lights, and not just go through. And all this, with a cop standing on the median and looking around. Big bunch of useless people!
Old 12th September 2009, 13:19   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
IMHO, Bangalore's civic authorities simply do not display even 1/4th the level of competence required
Do we have civic authorities in Bangalore?

I have a Civic and I have the Authority to use it. That's all folks !
Old 12th September 2009, 13:42   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Since i am a new guy on this route, I STOP for red. I don't budge an inch. Whole lot of circus has started behind me. The guy right behind wants to reverse and get out from behind me. The guy behind him doesn't know what's happening.
Well done. I practice this many times in front of RED MONSTERS. My favourite spot is the Big Bazaar Signal (coming from EPIP to join the Hoodi - ITPL Main Road).

It gives me the greatest pleasure to prevent the RED MONSTER from jumping the red signal !
Old 28th September 2009, 13:38   #924
BHPian

On a ligher note to all

Maybe this pic that i got in a mail can get everyone to cool off for sometime and forget everything. When a cow can follow traffic signals why cant we educated humans do the same????????

P.S. I am not sure if this pic has been posted before. My apologies if this is a repeat.

I am much better than you humans.....learn from me.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-too-good.jpg
Old 28th September 2009, 16:44   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The Authorities puts Humps ( Unscientific and dangerous ) along the roads wherever they please. Apart from these some individuals gets humps installed infront of their houses.( Bribe the road work contractor). Some one or organisation in Bangalore filed a PIL and the court has ordered to remove the unnecessary Humps. So the work on removing the humps have started. More than 1000 humps are to be removed in Bangalore.

Last edited by sudharma : 28th September 2009 at 16:45. Reason: Remove quotes
Old 28th September 2009, 18:21   #926
BHPian

From my home to office, I have to go over 13 humps one-way. If the purpose of a hump is to check speed, then this is indeed serving its purpose - it takes a minimum of 40 minutes to cover this 12km stretch.

The existence of humps is one of the many proofs that we Indians are still monkeys when it comes to basic self-discipline and civic senses. We are still far away from elevating ourselves to modern traffic signals. In fact, traffic signals are basically a waste of tax-payers' money in Indian context. A traffic signal without a cop manning the junction is actually more dangerous than having no signal at all - at least everyone will have the same awareness of risk-level. Traffic signals (w/o a cop) make a foreign driver (anyone who is not "Indian" in behavior) more vulnerable to accidents.

If anyone ever thought that YOU & ME (the so-called educated elite class) never behave like a monkey and it's always HE & SHE (the so-called auto-drivers, identity-less bikers etc. etc.) who break the laws, think again. Bangalore's Prestige Tech Park that houses companies like Oracle, JP Morgan, Airtel and Nokia has installed >10 speed-breakers and deployed 20+ traffic watchmen to keep monkey-driving at check within the campus. Who are ones who drive in this campus ?
Old 28th September 2009, 19:50   #927
Senior - BHPian

A month back the road in front of my house was tarred, intially we were happy as the dust would get less and also communing would be easy but a new problem took birth that is "over speeding and Honking"

Vehicles of all shapes and size try thier F! skill here now, this toad is hardly 25wide and the way cars/bikes/vans race that is alarming and to top it all most of them HONK madly just that they want to be sure none is on their way while they speed...

In this lot most of them belong to the educated lot, i really dont have words to describe this morons!
Old 28th September 2009, 19:54   #928
Team-BHP Support

If all weekends were like this, it would be pure bliss.

All 3 days sat, sun mon, very light traffic amazingly relaxed drive these 3 days.
Old 28th September 2009, 20:52   #929
BHPian

Vid you are so right. I've been living in Bangalore for over 30 years and have seen it go from bad to worse to dust. But once in a while you get a couple of weekends (with some festival thrown in) and all of a sudden Bangalore looks beautiful. Pollution levels drop drastically, driving is a pleasure and it brings back some nostalgia.

Guys don't kill me... but sometimes I do wish that Bangalore had remained a sleepy old town. We desperately need a place like that!
Old 29th September 2009, 10:40   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
... but sometimes I do wish that Bangalore had remained a sleepy old town. We desperately need a place like that!
That was the charm of Bangalore!

But then, Bangalore's USP is what is doing it in now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks