Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2015, 12:48   #9496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Regarding the Friday night biker accident between Agara and Iblur, per the report in TOI today, the biker was carrying the helmet instead of wearing it.
Then this is the second similar incident in last week. Early last week, one among two students had met his tragic death on the new Airport Road some where near Hebbal. He had placed the helmet on his rear view mirror (as the mirror needed more protection). When over taking, the bike's handle hit the truck he lost control and crashed.
Old 13th October 2015, 07:22   #9497
BHPian

Road Repair Alert

The road from Ring Road leading to Graphite India via the Railway crossing has been dug up after the railway crossing.

Exact Location - After ISRO U Turn and after Railways crossing on the Chinnapanahalli main road.

I had to take a left turn into Chinnappanahalli and got lost. Finally asked for direction.

Avoid railways crossing and take Alpine Apartment/Cement Road for today

Regards
chandrda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 18:52   #9498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
[b]
I had to take a left turn into Chinnappanahalli and got lost. Finally asked for direction.
Yes. I encountered this mess this morning.

I too turned left from there. Even I had no idea where I was going. I was just following people while having no clue where they were headed but assumed all of us were in the same boat.

Soon enough, after plenty of twists and turns, I landed at Graphite India Main Road just after CMRIT.

That said, the sheer number of vehicles that jump the divider and take a U-Turn at the Marathahalli Bridge Junction is alarming. What used to be an isolated case is now becoming a norm. I hope these cops put up barricades along the length of the divider!
Old 13th October 2015, 20:48   #9499
Oxy
BHPian

Is it just me or do people find the manholes jutting out at regular intervals on one lane of the road really irritating and dangerous.

Right from the Kundalahalli junction, all the way to Forum Value Mall and beyond - Whitefield Mayura Bakery, Hope Farm and Kadugodi, I see countless manholes jutting out on the left lane in such a way that the opening is some 4-5 inches above the road surface.

It's practically unmotorable, and if you happen to get stuck behind one of those slow moving truck on the right lane, that will be the biggest test of your patience.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 21:09   #9500
Distinguished - BHPian

Reading this thread regularly, I see that majority of the members work in the Sarjapur Road/ORR/Whitefield area, either that or this is the single largest mess of an "I.T" belt. There are literally no complaints on the Electronic City area (both phases) or inner ring road i.e Old Airport Road. I'm sure if the developmental agencies & city planners put their minds to it, they can make the ORR and Whitefield roads certainly better organized & easier to move about on, unfortunately apathy is a favourite characteristic in this country.

I'll say this again & again, sun-tints were literally criminalized and enforced within a span of 2 months, but rampant lane changing, signal jumping, no helmet, no seatbelts, jaywalking, over-speeding.. those are all fine. Sound reasoning?
Old 13th October 2015, 23:11   #9501
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Reading this thread regularly, I see that majority of the members work in the Sarjapur Road/ORR/Whitefield area, either that or this is the single largest mess of an "I.T" belt. There are literally no complaints on the Electronic City area (both phases) or inner ring road i.e Old Airport Road.

I'll say this again & again, sun-tints were literally criminalized and enforced within a span of 2 months, but rampant lane changing, signal jumping, no helmet, no seatbelts, jaywalking, over-speeding.. those are all fine. Sound reasoning?
The whitefield area is undoubtedly the worst in terms of road conditions and traffic management plus it has the dubious distinction of having mixed usage with industrial, corporate and residential properties.

The Supreme court had come down heavily on the tints and gave the traffic police a deadline within which it had to be implemented and hence they acted quickly. Maybe they need to be told the same by the courts for these other common violations as well that are just being ignored now!

Last edited by NPV : 13th October 2015 at 23:12.
Old 14th October 2015, 07:44   #9502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Yes. I encountered this mess this morning.

I too turned left from there. Even I had no idea where I was going. I was just following people while having no clue where they were headed but assumed all of us were in the same boat.

Soon enough, after plenty of twists and turns, I landed at Graphite India Main Road just after CMRIT.
The Road is still not open and again I had to take a left turn into Chinnappanahalli. This time though used some common sense and came out on the other side of the Road where the repair is being done.

Will give a miss to this road this entire week

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:26   #9503
BHPian

Quote:
... There are literally no complaints on the Electronic City area (both phases)...
E-City has its own share of devils. Biggest of which is known as Hosa Road Junction. I've marked all the "legal" turns allowed at this junction. (which the traffic cops allow). Crossing this junction is guaranteed to raise your blood pressure.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hosaroad.png
Horizon81 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:48   #9504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
E-City has its own share of devils. Biggest of which is known as Hosa Road Junction. I've marked all the "legal" turns allowed at this junction. (which the traffic cops allow). Crossing this junction is guaranteed to raise your blood pressure.
I can bet my car on this junction.
Everytime I go to Kropex Chevrolet to service my car, I return home after a high BP attack.

Catching a bus is another exercise here ! Pity on the pedestrians who have to cross this junction.
Old 14th October 2015, 10:21   #9505
BHPian

Quote:

Sun tints are a different matter. The matters you pointed out are completely different. They are more to do with the awareness of an individual which is difficult. There is always a rule breaker and seeing no one stop him the others follow suit.
Unless people realise that if they make the wrong move by playing a game of chicken with oncoming traffic , overtaking from the left with little space and so many other wrong doings they are going to put at risk not only their lives but lives of other road users. This is common sense but generally unecessary aggression and a hurry to get somewhere causes not only those people to get delayed but also others.
This self discipline is difficult to enforce and has to be inculcated or realised. But that is not happening and those who do use common sense stand out as obstructions to traffic.
Old 14th October 2015, 10:27   #9506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reading this thread regularly, I see that majority of the members work in the Sarjapur Road/ORR/Whitefield area, either that or this is the single largest mess of an "I.T" belt. There are literally no complaints on the Electronic City area (both phases) or inner ring road i.e Old Airport Road.
To start with, Electronic City does not fall under BBMP. It has its own civic body (run by the companies themselves) which obviously does a far better job than BBMP. Couple of years back I read about BBMP wanting to annexe E-City to mop up additional revenue while not doing any additional work, but don't think it happened.

As for Old Airport Road - I take it regularly (and used to take IRR till about a few years ago), and I agree it is comparatively better than Varthur Road or ORR. It is not without its own problems though - the sudden narrowing of the road at Rajeshwari Theatre and Total Mall, the messy signals at Wind Tunnel Road and Manipal Hospital, illegal parking on the roadside, bus stops at Murugeshpalya and Kodihalli, bad condition of the eastbound carriageway, unsignaled junctions between HAL and Yemalur, the complete lack of road rules in front of Diamond District (under the Domlur interchange) etc. are a few.

Last edited by binand : 14th October 2015 at 10:41.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:43   #9507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
the complete lack of road rules in front of Diamond District (under the Domlur interchange) etc. are a few.
i wonder which engineer puts up speed breakers in Bangalore. You drive down a flyover gaining momentum and ta-da!! you have a speed breaker. this breaks your shox, backbone and causes repeated stress injuries in susceptible areas. The domlur junction in particular is notorious. on the indiranagar side, right turn is not allowed for people coming from ESI hospital road. However when the cop looks the other way, there are these mini trucks and 2 wheelers who scoot and take a right only to create more havoc for down-coming traffic from the flyover from koramangla!

on innumerable occasions i stop and share a small chat with the cop who stand outside the airtel store. Empathizing with them they say they catch at-least 20 offenders but that still doesn't stop people from violating the rule.

like someone said, if there is a court rule ordering the implementation by a deadline, things might work.

The other notorious junction is the BEML signal. have been tripped twice by a guy coming in the wrong way (while i was waiting on the BEML signal coming in from tipasandra). Both time, the guy jumped his signal and wanted to avoid getting caught by a cop. so rushed quickly on the forbidden one way to wriggle out through the next available side road.

phew... am i glad to be in a tier 2 city now
Old 14th October 2015, 10:53   #9508
Distinguished - BHPian

Time to try this out on our roads?
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-admqk27_700b.jpg

Source: http://9gag.com/gag/aDmQK27
arunphilip is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 11:25   #9509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
The Road is still not open and again I had to take a left turn into Chinnappanahalli. This time though used some common sense and came out on the other side of the Road where the repair is being done.

Will give a miss to this road this entire week

Regards
The odd bit is the Chinnappanahalli residents seem to have put up a boom barrier to prohibit vehicles from entering. I am quite sure this is a public road, how can it be blocked off?

The boom barrier I think is supposed to prevent HTVs from entering. But it is also ending up preventing two way traffic and is causing a jam at the junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Attachment 1427010

Source: http://9gag.com/gag/aDmQK27
If this is implemented, we'll be driving through a forest with more trees per square foot than people!
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 11:45   #9510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Good one .
on a lighter note - if you drive along the jayamahal road, as you reach towards mekhri circle you can observe trees right on the middle. Maybe they were planted few years back like these saplings.

worth selling this idea on certain streets where only pedestrians are allowed.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks