Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 11:02   #9526
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
There are literally no complaints on the Electronic City area (both phases)
This could be because the access roads to EC are wide enough and well maintained to accommodate the traffic. The elevated toll way also plays a good part in reducing the traffic into this area. The Neeladri road was relaid only once and is holding strong, except in front of concorde manhattan. (touch wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
E-City has its own share of devils. Biggest of which is known as Hosa Road Junction. I've marked all the "legal" turns allowed at this junction. (which the traffic cops allow). Crossing this junction is guaranteed to raise your blood pressure.
I am one of those lucky guys who get to pass through this 8th wonder twice a day. This one along with the EC phase 1 gate signal could give jitters to any driver new to this area.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:10   #9527
Senior - BHPian

In today's papers, its revealed that there were 56 lakh traffic cases lodged in 9 months. Thats a huge number and even after that if the situation is what it is, not sure what could ease it :( 11 thousand had their licenses suspended.
Old 15th October 2015, 14:15   #9528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Bro, maybe you are already aware, there is an institution that creates engineers for road building. Its a central institute. Every state government has to employ engineers to build roads. There is a lot of engineering that goes behind these for eg. the load the roads should carry, rain activities, gradients, shallow sand areas etc.
Every year roads to shabarimala are rubberised and done with the help of engineers. They also advocate strong usage of rumblers instead of speed breakers.

Most of the tech parks (we had lots in EGL where i used to work) have plastc fibre speedbreakers screwed onto the road surface. in reality, those are actually not allowed as they are known to cause more harm as the rise and fall slopes are almost orthogonal!

Just my two cents
I know there is engineering that defines every aspect, starting from the shape to the material to be used to curing time. A mere look at most of speed breakers in Bangalore would make any engineer hang himself/herself with shame! The question is what happens in reality. Dump some cement/tarmix and shape it the way the mason wants and voila! a speed breaker is born! (Few days and many under body scrapes and screams, a plastic surgeon comes in make the speed (& back) breaker acceptable in shape. Somehow people believe to link the area's importance to the size of the speed breaker!
Old 15th October 2015, 14:52   #9529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post

I am one of those lucky guys who get to pass through this 8th wonder twice a day. This one along with the EC phase 1 gate signal could give jitters to any driver new to this area.
Couldn't help quoting this.

Am another of those blessed souls who have to cross this maze every time I wish to go anywhere (I stay near Basapura, on the other side of the jail road portion of this junction). I have counted more than 10 traffic lanes merging into this junction and I'm yet to figure out even after 2 years which traffic signal is intended for whom.

Had gone for a short errand on Tuesday morning to return around 11:30AM from the jail road side to be welcomed by a massive jam. Stood till for half an hour and finally our "side" was allowed to inch forward. I reached the center of the main road and realized I can't go ahead coz of the clog. Now the battalion of policemen there too came to terms to the same conclusion at that exact moment (it was they who beckoned me to move over there in the first place). So the solution? they wanted me to go towards Bommanahalli, the only road that was free for me?!!! Told one of them my home is straight ahead and what does he expect me to do by taking another direction. I learned a few new kannada expletives thanks to his answer. The gist was that he didn't care, but it was a jam that needs to be cleared and off i should go on my way.... in the direction he pointed.

Long story short I made home via Bommanahalli---ETR---E_city---Neeladiri Road---Basapura. Just some 30 odd kms extra to cover the original 900mtrs!
Old 15th October 2015, 15:44   #9530
BHPian

Anyone who uses the Old Madras will understand the agonizing chaos that happens at the signal near the Subramanya Swamy temple where the Devasandra Main Road meets the highway. I've always felt that both the signal and the policemen who patrol this junction are as good as being not there.
Its a green for me going towards KRPuram on the OM road, but that never stops vehicles from and to Devasandra road. Hello, its a RED for you! But who cares. Sometimes I see the police trying to handle the traffic, but its a never ending wait for many of us most of the time.
Old 15th October 2015, 15:47   #9531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Am another of those blessed souls who have to cross this maze every time I wish to go anywhere.
..Just some 30 odd kms extra to cover the original 900mtrs!
I too stay in the vicinity, and on an eventful day, my travel looked like this: Silk board->Bommanahalli (20 minutes wait)->GB Palaya signal (30 minutes of wait, followed by 30 minutes of crawling) -> Kudlu Gate signal (20 minutes of wait, to try to take that elusive right turn into the service road, but shooed away by the two cops and two wardens) -> Hosa Road signal (gridlock, 20 minutes of standing still with engine off, followed by inching forward, 15 minutes or so, then the cop directed us to take the main road and get lost) -> gridlock at the cut in the left side barricade near the Hanuman temple -> Kudlu Gate signal (20 minutes of wait time, in the opposite direction) -> GB Palaya -> Shell Bommanahalli (yea, seeing the traffic ahead, I turned to the service road on the right side) -> back to GB Palaya -> Kudlu Gate (again shooed away by the cops) -> Hosa road (the jam started clearing by now) -> service road and off on my way

How do I know the timings? From the timestamp in the dash-cam videos. What normally takes 20-25 minutes, took me, well, enough time to have lunch and evening snacks at the same time
Old 15th October 2015, 16:27   #9532
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore guys, I have a question for you:

I'm driving to Bangalore either tomorrow evening or early day after. I want to know where the left turn to Jakur Road comes after passing Yellahanka. My destination is Golden Palms Apartments that are off K Narayanapura main road. I am asking because I read that there is now an elevated road from Devanahalli airport towards Hebbal. I'm not sure if the left turn is accessible from that elevated road.

Last edited by vnabhi : 15th October 2015 at 16:28.
Old 15th October 2015, 17:37   #9533
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Couldn't help quoting this.

Am another of those blessed souls who have to cross this maze every time I wish to go anywhere (I stay near Basapura, on the other side of the jail road portion of this junction).
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I too stay in the vicinity, and on an eventful day, my travel looked like this...
Well, i too use the same route in my commute from HSR to E-City. But having used this road for 3 years, i have now improvised.

Firstly, i try to take my bike as much as possible. For bikes there is a extra lane on the extreme left where bikes move in a single file at signals.
Secondly, i go at odd hours. Start at 11 am and return at 8:30 pm
Thirdly, it really helps to know which way the traffic clogs. I always stay in the main road and rarely use the service road.
At Bommanhalli, i take the main road after entering from Mangammana palya side which is relatively free after the signal. The service road tends to get clogged due to Bosch buses. At GB palya stick to the left part of the main road. The straight going signal clears first and then the right turn. Staying left you quickly pass the signal and avoid getting blocked by right turning cars. At Kudlu gate, staying at center or right helps as there is a bus stop just before the signal. At Hosa road staying at center or right is better again, because of the bus stop. Never take the extreme left portion, as there are private buses who stop there for quite sometime. At E-city phase 1, the left most is the best option as the we get green for straight at 60 second mark.

I find the commute to E-city quite easy now. Having 14 lanes really helps...
Old 15th October 2015, 17:58   #9534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

I'm driving to Bangalore either tomorrow evening or early day after. I want to know where the left turn to Jakur Road comes after passing Yellahanka. My destination is Golden Palms Apartments that are off K Narayanapura main road. I am asking because I read that there is now an elevated road from Devanahalli airport towards Hebbal. I'm not sure if the left turn is accessible from that elevated road.
Short answer - no. Stay on the surface, don't get on to the elevated expressway.

Are you coming from Hyderabad? Alternatively, get onto the elevated expressway, take left at Hebbal on to the Outer Ring Road, and then left again on Thanisandra Main Road (just after Manyata Tech Park) which intersects K Narayanapura main road.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 18:02   #9535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Well, i too use the same route in my commute from HSR to E-City. But having used this road for 3 years, i have now improvised.
Having 14 lanes really helps...
I share the same woe. I however use the road that connects with the Kudlu gate (rather than using the Mangammana palya) and get into Hosur road at Kudly gate. There I get on to the left side Service road till Hosa road signal. At the Hosa Road signal, I get into the main road and stick to the right-most lane. Its a matter of chance whether you use the right most lane or the middle lane(as the straight towards Hosur gets green pretty fast and then you can go and stop at the median.
My grouse - Service roads are used by big vehicles. From service road entry into both sides of the Main road or even the other side service road is not at all restricted. This makes is a mess at all signals.
Also,if you cant leave EC1 before 6:30, restart your laptops and wait till 7:30. After 7:30 things drastically change
Old 15th October 2015, 18:08   #9536
Distinguished - BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20151015-18.10.18.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

You can't miss it. After you cross the airport and keep on going towards BLR city, you will pass under a railway track I.e.the railway track is elevated over the road. Immediately after this another elevated section starts which is the last flyover before you reach Hebbal.

Don't take this last one but stay left and take the service road. Keep on going for around 3 km more and turn left at the first signaled intersection. That is Jakkur main road.

Note that I have never noticed a BoB ATM there!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20151015-18.15.03.png  

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th October 2015 at 18:17.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 23:04   #9537
Senior - BHPian

More problems in the route to CMRIT through AECS Layout from Marathahalli Bridge for those who try to avoid Kundalahalli Gate.

The residents seem to have taken it upon themselves to prohibit vehicles from entering the area.

First is a boom barrier:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bb.jpg

Second is a dune barrier:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-barrier.jpg

Whatever noble intentions are behind this idea, this is not the way to go. If this trend continues, residents might as well block off all entrances to their localities from the main roads!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 15th October 2015 at 23:05.
Old 15th October 2015, 23:27   #9538
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing, is this legal? Is not the layout part of BDA/BBMP? How can this be allowed? Ideally they can petition the authorities to install a height barrier to keep out LCV etc.

Only in Bangalore!
Old 16th October 2015, 06:24   #9539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The residents seem to have taken it upon themselves to prohibit vehicles from entering the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Amazing, is this legal? Is not the layout part of BDA/BBMP? How can this be allowed? Ideally they can petition the authorities to install a height barrier to keep out LCV etc.
This move is definitely illegal. Public roads cannot be closed on a whim.
Old 16th October 2015, 07:26   #9540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
This move is definitely illegal. Public roads cannot be closed on a whim.
Try telling that to people near Madivala lake and near Udupi gardens. Those roads have been blocked off for years now. When through traffic becomes a menace in a residential layout and the government doesn't do anything about it, then the residents are left with no choice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks